Who leaves if we are relegated?

stevy777_x

JWP and Lavia are the two that deserve a move. Che/ABK/Salisu/KWP can all play at this level and I think will get one. Then there's a few more who I'm hopeful we can get rid of in the likes of Orsic/Armstrongs/Bednarek/Lyanco/Aribo but you never know with 1. how bad they are and 2. the unjustified wages they're currently on and if anyone is likely to take that up.

Onuachu/Mara
Sulemana - Alcaraz - Tella/Edozie
Smallbone - Diallo
Perraud - ? - Stephens - Livramento
Bazunu

I think one or two players you expect to leave always end up sticking around in the Championship, so that could be a few of the new guys signed in January (unless they had clauses in their contract in the likelihood of this situation), hopefully Alcaraz in particular who I think could be great. Don't particular care if Onuachu does/doesn't, but I'd echo the idea of Gyokeres if we lose both him and Che. It doesn't look like the worst outline of a team which would obviously need a few experienced additions, particularly in the central midfield & centre back departments which look very weak. Maybe we don't manage to get rid of all four of Bednarek, DCC, Salisu and ABK so one of them could slot in. I'd like to see us be pretty firm on cough-up good money or tell Burnley to fuck off with Tella.

It'll be an interesting Summer for sure though. Imagine we pull in a pretty large number from outgoings.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dman said:

We need to be really careful around biting the hand that feeds us RE lavia. 

City’s buy back clause doesn’t kick in, until 2024 so theoretically, we’re free to sell in an open market for more than that. However, if City have a serious interest, we should look at striking a deal - maybe agree to sell for 40m this season rather than next. 

the model of getting young talent from bigger clubs will only work if we keep relationships sweet. If we sell him to a rival of city, they’ll no doubt think twice next time we go cup in hand. 

Under no circumstances should be be going for any less than £40m though. 

IMO, it’s £40m to city, £50m to everyone else. 

seeing as City will get £10m of a £50m transfer fee, the fee needs to be weighted like that. 

If no one offers more than £40m, what do you do then? Keep him?

Edited by Chez

6 hours ago, Dman said:

We need to be really careful around biting the hand that feeds us RE lavia. 

the model of getting young talent from bigger clubs will only work if we keep relationships sweet. If we sell him to a rival of city, they’ll no doubt think twice next time we go cup in hand. 

They don't need financial favours from us.  They already owe us one for paying a huge collective sum for the dross we signed from them last summer (excluding Lavia, of course)

6 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

If players have contracts that are not in their final year then we should expect that those players will not be allowed to leave. Some may ask for transfers but that doesn't mean that their requests will be accepted.

Our whole business model is recruiting young players on the basis when the move to a bigger club comes, we won’t stand in their way. It’s how we get the likes of Lavia. 

I know it’s not worked out well this season but if we’re seen to be a club blocking transfers, we won’t get the likes of Lavia again.

If the bored stick with the recruit young talent strategy, all players with a big move will be allowed to leave imho

I think the best fly on the wall football series has been the car crash, "Sunderland 'til I Die". Even funnier, when it was made to document their return to the premiership. And the episode with trying to persuade Jack Rodwell to leave rather than fleece the club of £50k a week was especially good. But how many Jack Rodwells do we have in our team? Yes, we can sell Lavia for a profit, but which overpaid space wasters do we need to massage out the club?

I didn't realise Moi was out of contract when I did my predictions on the squad on page 1 of this thread - we would do brilliantly well NOT to offer him a new contract in the summer, but as we have recently been known to make shite decisions, I wouldn't be surprised if we went and gave him a new 3 year contract.

Positions that I think we won't upgrade in the summer will be GK (Bazunu, McCarthy, Lis), RB (Tino, Bree) and LB (Perraud, Larios et al). The entire rest of the spine will need major surgery. 

As fringe players go, I'd quite like to keep Djenepo. Still only 24 and quite versatile. I'd be interested to see if he could regularly deliver on that stage.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Dan Johnson said:

Our whole business model is recruiting young players on the basis when the move to a bigger club comes, we won’t stand in their way. It’s how we get the likes of Lavia. 

I know it’s not worked out well this season but if we’re seen to be a club blocking transfers, we won’t get the likes of Lavia again.

If the bored stick with the recruit young talent strategy, all players with a big move will be allowed to leave imho

When we go down the whole business model is fucked anyway, it only works if you are showcasing the talent in the 'best league in the world' , not at shit holes like Blackburn and Rotherham.

25 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I didn't realise Moi was out of contract when I did my predictions on the squad on page 1 of this thread - we would do brilliantly well NOT to offer him a new contract in the summer, but as we have recently been known to make shite decisions, I wouldn't be surprised if we went and gave him a new 3 year contract.

Positions that I think we won't upgrade in the summer will be GK (Bazunu, McCarthy, Lis), RB (Tino, Bree) and LB (Perraud, Larios et al). The entire rest of the spine will need major surgery. 

As fringe players go, I'd quite like to keep Djenepo. Still only 24 and quite versatile. I'd be interested to see if he could regularly deliver on that stage.

Djenepo could shine in the championship - I think that style of player (tricky) rarely works in the premier league as defenders are too good/fast.  Hopefully would have more luck in a lower division.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Walking out of the ground we were talking about who we wouldn't be upset to see go. 

We so need a reset and this team is so hard to connect with I hope we have a big clear out. 

For me, it would be a shame to see Alcarez then less so, ABK, Lavia, Djenepo, Sulemana, JWP or maybe Mara go. Maybe Che for a lower league. 

I hope both Armstrongs, Ely, Walcott go. 

Most of the others I'm pretty indifferent. 

Tbf, never had as little attachment to the players. 

On 17/03/2023 at 19:48, cloggy saint said:

Who leaves if we go down? A large section of the customers.

Well I for one will be seeing a lot more championship games next year. Some proper football. PL is shite unless you’re upper mid table. Can’t see the point with a mentality of just trying to survive. It’s gonna take a good few transfer windows to switch that mentality around. Then we’ll have some fun again like last time. UTS

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EBS1980 said:

Who do you think will be the first to jump ship and leave in the summer?

Hilariously I reckon it'll be the likes of Bednarek, Diallo etc jumping up and down not wanting to play Championship football, completely ignorant to the fact that they're part of the reason we are there.

• Like 3

We do have a whole load of players who have looked decent in inferior leagues so if managed right we might have a decent side (fucking massive IF through).

Players like Armstrong, Aribo, Adams should all be more at home at this level whilst never being good enough for the Prem. Some of the younger players should improve and most the new signings have excelled in inferior foreign leagues so might be decent Championship players.

We just need to add some Championship experience, first on the list an ugly hard northern championship bastard in midfield.

Edited by aintforever
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, aintforever said:

We do have a whole load of players who have looked decent in inferior agues so if managed right we might have a decent side (fucking massive IF through).

Players like Armstrong, Aribo, Adams should all be more at home at this level whilst never being good enough for the Prem. Some of the younger players should improve and most the new signings have excelled in inferior foreign leagues so might be decent Championship players.

We just need to add some Championship experience, first on the list an ugly hard northern championship bastard in midfield.

Adams will stay in the PL, he will get takers. He won't be here. I'd personally pay up Armstrong and Aribo, sure Armstrong may have done it at Blackburn for 1 season...but he doesn't fit here, he's never going to make it and if we try and prolong the Armstrong agony next year because he scored at that level before, then we're in for the Stoke/Swansea fun and games. 

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

With some decent revenue from player sales we can add some gritty, savvy midfield additions, a decent manager, and maybe keep hold of Tella and get Smallbone back…no reason at all we can’t put up a decent fight next season. 
SR need to keep this part of their investment afloat, so I can’t see them wanting to languish in the lower divisions long.

I’m not convinced we’ll go straight back up, but think we’ll give it a good go. It’s all pretty raw right now for everyone so I get the doom and gloom predictions etc. 

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Adams will stay in the PL, he will get takers. He won't be here. I'd personally pay up Armstrong and Aribo, sure Armstrong may have done it at Blackburn for 1 season...but he doesn't fit here, he's never going to make it and if we try and prolong the Armstrong agony next year because he scored at that level before, then we're in for the Stoke/Swansea fun and games. 

He doesn't fit at the moment but ideally when we bring in a new manager he will change the way we play and it might be that it suits him better, who knows.

Also, he hasn't looked anywhere near Prem quality but the Championship is miles away from the level most Premier teams play at. Tella was shite in the Prem and look how he's ripped the Championship apart.

Edited by aintforever

5 hours ago, Archers Road Stand said:

I see Diallo is being linked with a move to Turkey and apparently has no interest in staying here once we go down. 

Good, wouldn't want him anywhere near a Championship squad. Dire player. 

that's funny because it's shit like him that is part of the reason we are going down.

Anyone that thinks Stephens and Tella are coming back from Bournemouth or Burnley are fooling themselves when they have a chance of playing premier league football at those clubs next season. 

Orsic will be first out of the door by the sound of it followed quickly by the 'saleable assets -  Lavia, Ward-Prowse, ABK, KWP and Salisu.

Adams has a year left on his contract and has been linked to clubs like Everton and Leeds - so I can't see him staying around whether we go down or stay up.

Elyounoussi is out of contract - and by all accounts doesn't want to play in the Championship despite having a contract offer of on the table.  But hopefully he goes whatever happens.

Sounds like McCarthy will go whatever happens as well given his reported wage cut - again time to move on for him.

Walcott and Caballero should probably retire.

AMN's loan comes to an end and he is out of contract and Arsenal - I think he'd stay but I don't think we will want him. 

Lycano & Bednarek have both looked to move in the recent past (for game time or on to bigger and better things) and I don't think they will want to play in the Championship so they will look to move - and without being trapped by their premier league wages this time. And I would expect Caleta-Car, Peraud, Ounachu and Djneppo are all thinking the same as well.  

Hopefully Aribo is thinking the same thing - and we can persuade Crystal Palace, West Ham or someone to take him off our hands on the cheap.

And it sounds like Diallo is having the same thoughts - he has a year left so its time to get rid of him anyway - plus he's been more than underwhelming so we should be getting rid of him anyway.

Stu Armstrong also has just a year left - and doesn't seem to be the player he once was. With the cut in wages I can see him returning earlier than planned to Scottish Football and one last longer term contract somewhere like Hibs or Hearts.

Adam Armstrong we should sell to Ipswich or whoever wants him.  The same with Bree.  

That leaves us with Mara, Alcaraz, Edozie, Livramento, Larios, Bazunu and Sulemana plus some of the returning players like Smallbone, Watts, Lis, Chauke, Olaigbe, Simeu, N'Lundulu, Small and Vokins and a few of the good kids such as Payne, Doyle, Ballard, Dibling to build around.

If we add an experienced spine made up of  proven players from the Championship aged 24-28 such as Matt Grimes, Joel Piroe, Ryan Manning and a couple of 'young stars' on loan from Citeh or Chelski and maybe one to two 'great prospects' from abroad and we may have a chance at a new beginning.  

I would add that we need a good first choice goalkeeper and a couple of dominant centre backs,  a proven goal scorer and a hardened defensive midfield in that 'spine' though.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Anyone that thinks Stephens and Tella are coming back from Bournemouth or Burnley are fooling themselves when they have a chance of playing premier league football at those clubs next season. 

Orsic will be first out of the door by the sound of it followed quickly by the 'saleable assets -  Lavia, Ward-Prowse, ABK, KWP and Salisu.

Adams has a year left on his contract and has been linked to clubs like Everton and Leeds - so I can't see him staying around whether we go down or stay up.

Elyounoussi is out of contract - and by all accounts doesn't want to play in the Championship despite having a contract offer of on the table.  But hopefully he goes whatever happens.

Sounds like McCarthy will go whatever happens as well given his reported wage cut - again time to move on for him.

Walcott and Caballero should probably retire.

AMN's loan comes to an end and he is out of contract and Arsenal - I think he'd stay but I don't think we will want him. 

Lycano & Bednarek have both looked to move in the recent past (for game time or on to bigger and better things) and I don't think they will want to play in the Championship so they will look to move - and without being trapped by their premier league wages this time. And I would expect Caleta-Car, Peraud, Ounachu and Djneppo are all thinking the same as well.  

Hopefully Aribo is thinking the same thing - and we can persuade Crystal Palace, West Ham or someone to take him off our hands on the cheap.

And it sounds like Diallo is having the same thoughts - he has a year left so its time to get rid of him anyway - plus he's been more than underwhelming so we should be getting rid of him anyway.

Stu Armstrong also has just a year left - and doesn't seem to be the player he once was. With the cut in wages I can see him returning earlier than planned to Scottish Football and one last longer term contract somewhere like Hibs or Hearts.

Adam Armstrong we should sell to Ipswich or whoever wants him.  The same with Bree.  

That leaves us with Mara, Alcaraz, Edozie, Livramento, Larios, Bazunu and Sulemana plus some of the returning players like Smallbone, Watts, Lis, Chauke, Olaigbe, Simeu, N'Lundulu, Small and Vokins and a few of the good kids such as Payne, Doyle, Ballard, Dibling to build around.

If we add an experienced spine made up of  proven players from the Championship aged 24-28 such as Matt Grimes, Joel Piroe, Ryan Manning and a couple of 'young stars' on loan from Citeh or Chelski and maybe one to two 'great prospects' from abroad and we may have a chance at a new beginning.  

I would add that we need a good first choice goalkeeper and a couple of dominant centre backs,  a proven goal scorer and a hardened defensive midfield in that 'spine' though.

If you think Small, Vokins and N'lundulu are good enough for the Championship then that is a huge mistake 

• Like 4

On 27/04/2023 at 22:37, West end Saints said:

Walking out of the ground we were talking about who we wouldn't be upset to see go. 

We so need a reset and this team is so hard to connect with I hope we have a big clear out. 

For me, it would be a shame to see Alcarez then less so, ABK, Lavia, Djenepo, Sulemana, JWP or maybe Mara go. Maybe Che for a lower league. 

I hope both Armstrongs, Ely, Walcott go. 

Most of the others I'm pretty indifferent. 

Tbf, never had as little attachment to the players. 

Yes Alcaraz and Lavia have been our two positive signings but can't see them hanging around. At least we should get some serious money for Lavia. Apart from the usual dross (which is nearly all of them), the ones I've been especially disappointed with are the players with potential who seem to have downed tools, particularly Salisu and KWP. 

Tbh I can see most of our decent young players like Alcaraz and Sulemana staying. Joao Pedro and Sarr stuck around with Watford. Lavia the only one who will go because we'll get decent money for him.

Why bother selling Alcaraz or Sulemana for only a little more (or less) than what we paid, knowing they'll be potentially worth big bucks in a couple of years' time.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Tbh I can see most of our decent young players like Alcaraz and Sulemana staying. Joao Pedro and Sarr stuck around with Watford. Lavia the only one who will go because we'll get decent money for him.

Why bother selling Alcaraz or Sulemana for only a little more (or less) than what we paid, knowing they'll be potentially worth big bucks in a couple of years' time.

I'd expect to keep Sulemana and Alcaraz. Sheff U kept Sander Berge around as well, he was a £30m signing for them in a January window I think.

So it shouldn't be beyond the realms to keep some of these guys, plus I'm not sure if Sulemana has done anything to warrant any interest in him yet. It's the crap we're going to have a headache over though, we'll probably have to do a few 'contract pay off' type deals as we did with Boufal/Carillo etc.

• Like 1

Just now, Turkish said:

Elyanoussi has supposedly turned down a new contact and will leave. Every cloud and all that 

Thank fuck for that, but the worry for me is that someone still thought it was a good idea to offer him one.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Elyanoussi has supposedly turned down a new contact and will leave. Every cloud and all that 

Would probably be decent in The Championship. Did really well in Scotland, and the couple of Celtic fans I know loved him (he scored 25 in 66 for them too)
Champ is probably his level, maybe one more year wouldnt have been so bad.

3 minutes ago, St Louis said:

Would probably be decent in The Championship. Did really well in Scotland, and the couple of Celtic fans I know loved him (he scored 25 in 66 for them too)

For real? Seriously??? Come on!

If we keep the likes of him around we'll be heading where Reading are going before long. He is a truly shit player. Ditto Moussa, Ditto Adam Armstrong, AMN etc. None of them should be here next year if we are serious about competing in that division.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, St Louis said:

He is one of the worst players I’ve ever seen. An absolute joke of a player. Have you ever heard of any player anywhere else being selected because their biggest talent is what they do when they don’t have the ball?

• Like 4

I really dont rate him either, he frustrates the hell out of me too. I've also wasted the last 5 years wondering what he actually does and when he will come good. I just wonder if the Championship is his level (given how well he did at Molde, Basel and Celtic) and if we might have an attacking midfielder who could actually score goals. Matters not anyway, he's off.
Last time we went down, we brought in a lot of absolute cr*p and it took us a few years to get it right, I just worry that the players that SR bring in could actually be a lot worse than what we already have (the ones we are all wishing away).

Edited by St Louis
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, St Louis said:

I really dont rate him either, he frustrates the hell out of me too. I've also wasted the last 5 years wondering what he does and when he will come good. I just wonder if the Championship is his level (given how well he did at Molde, Basel and Celtic) and if we might have an attacking midfielder who could actually score goals. Matters not anyway, 1he's off.
Last time we went down, we brought in a lot of absolute cr*p and it took us a few years to get it right, I just worry that the players that SR bring in could actually be a lot worse than what we already have (the ones we are all wishing away).

It just makes no sense to keep someone around if you don't rate him, he won't be any cop in the Championship, that league is on a different level to the SPL as well. SPL is more akin to L1/L2 really.

If we manage to recruit worse than Elyounoussi then our recruitment team should be fined the cost of any transfer fees. Surely it's impossible to find worse.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, St Louis said:

I really dont rate him either, he frustrates the hell out of me too. I've also wasted the last 5 years wondering what he actually does and when he will come good. I just wonder if the Championship is his level (given how well he did at Molde, Basel and Celtic) and if we might have an attacking midfielder who could actually score goals. Matters not anyway, he's off.

I don’t want to find out. He is the poster boy of everything wrong with this club 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

If we manage to recruit worse than Elyounoussi then our recruitment team should be fined the cost of any transfer fees. Surely it's impossible to find worse.

Ainsley Maitland-Niles 
Lyanco
Duje Ćaleta-Car
Joe Aribo
Adam Armstrong
Mislav Oršić
Paul Onuachu
James Bree
Sékou Mara
Ibrahima Diallo

1 minute ago, St Louis said:

Ainsley Maitland-Niles 
Lyanco
Duje Ćaleta-Car
Joe Aribo
Adam Armstrong
Mislav Oršić
Paul Onuachu
James Bree
Sékou Mara
Ibrahima Diallo

So because we've signed bad players, we need to keep the bad players, just in case we buy more bad players? Not sure I buy that.

For what it's worth our signings of ABK, Lavia, Alcaraz, Tino are good picks for me. I also can't include Mara, Orsic or Onauchu in any comparisions as they simply haven't played enough.

I wouldn't say any of the above are worse than Elyounoussi though, Lyanco/Armstrong/Diallo/Aribo are just as bad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, St Louis said:

And I'm seriously concerned that we are offering contracts to Ely, Diallo etc. This is a chance to rebuild around a small nucleus and get rid of so much dross. Alcaraz & Sulemana will hopefully stay, but the players we have at the moment could see us bypassing the Championship. 

• Like 1

Assuming we do go down, and being realistic about some players who will command big fees/attitudinally/need to go or want out, I would expect the following to leave:  ABK, Salisu, AMN, JWP, Lavia, Moi, Orsic and Adams.  Moi (out of contract) and AMN (loan only) save on wages and the others in addition to lowering wage bill probably would bring in over £120 million.  That is more than double the drop in income from first year out of Premier League and so we could invest a decent chunk of that.

I would be happy to see the following remain, some of whom are not good enough for Premier League but I think would do a job in championship:  Bazanu, McCarthy, Tino, Bree, Larios, Perraud, Bednarek, Stephens, Lyanco, DCC, Diallo, Aribo, Smallbone, Djenepo, Edozie,  Armstrong (S), Alcaraz, Tella, Armstrong (A), Theo, Kamaldeen, Mara, Tall Paul

The gaps for me, if everyone on my retain list stayed, are biggest in central midfield where last time round Hammond and Schneiderlein were terrific.  We would need to bring in two quality players for that department and at least one proven goal scorer.  But I don’t think much more is needed.  The goalkeeper and full back departments are stronger than last time in championship, several good attacking midfielder or winger options and centre backs ok for that division perhaps needing one more.

Purely for example, but both were indeed in championship last season for Bournemouth, if you put Lerma and Billing in the middle of the park in that team in my opinion it would be decent.  That type of profile player.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Forester said:

Assuming we do go down, and being realistic about some players who will command big fees/attitudinally/need to go or want out, I would expect the following to leave:  ABK, Salisu, AMN, JWP, Lavia, Moi, Orsic and Adams.  Moi (out of contract) and AMN (loan only) save on wages and the others in addition to lowering wage bill probably would bring in over £120 million.  That is more than double the drop in income from first year out of Premier League and so we could invest a decent chunk of that.

I would be happy to see the following remain, some of whom are not good enough for Premier League but I think would do a job in championship:  Bazanu, McCarthy, Tino, Bree, Larios, Perraud, Bednarek, Stephens, Lyanco, DCC, Diallo, Aribo, Smallbone, Djenepo, Edozie,  Armstrong (S), Alcaraz, Tella, Armstrong (A), Theo, Kamaldeen, Mara, Tall Paul

The gaps for me, if everyone on my retain list stayed, are biggest in central midfield where last time round Hammond and Schneiderlein were terrific.  We would need to bring in two quality players for that department and at least one proven goal scorer.  But I don’t think much more is needed.  The goalkeeper and full back departments are stronger than last time in championship, several good attacking midfielder or winger options and centre backs ok for that division perhaps needing one more.

Purely for example, but both were indeed in championship last season for Bournemouth, if you put Lerma and Billing in the middle of the park in that team in my opinion it would be decent.  That type of profile player.

I think the sales are pretty realistic, but I'd add Tella and Ounaucu to that - no way we keep Tella, we should make a decent sum on him though. I think Onuachu will be on the first flight out of here, probably on the same plane as Orsic! In a few years time that'll be a great pab quiz question. DCC too - i think he'll join Orsic and head back to Croatia, it just hasn't worked out for him.

I'd be quite depressed if we retained Lyanco, Diallo, Aribo, Moussa, Adam Armstrong or Theo though and it would suggest we haven't learnt a thing. They need to go by hook or by crook, possibly some loans and contract payoffs to get rid of those.

CM is the clear gap given we'd lose JWP and Lavia, I'd also say we need two goal scorers and some better quality wide options. I'd also go out and buy some new CB's, and in essence just build a new spine to the team. We can then blood the likes of Edozie, Alcaraz, Larios, Ballard, Dibling, Doyle etc in and around accomplished players, rather than expecting them to run the show for us.

When we last built a brand new team in L1 we sorted the spine out - Jaidi, Hammond, Butterfield, Kelvin staying, Lambo up top. Then we added Ox, Lallana and Morgan around them and let them flourish with more accomplished players and leaders around them. 

It's really achievable and within the realms to dominate the league if we get the big calls right, as financially we will be able to compete more than most. But getting the big calls right is my biggest fear given the horrific decision making up to now. I feel like it could quite easily go in the direction of Swansea/Stoke as it could go in the direction of Burnley. A big summer for the immediate and long term future of us as a football club. Get it wrong and some of us will never see top flight football again.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think the sales are pretty realistic, but I'd add Tella and Ounaucu to that - no way we keep Tella, we should make a decent sum on him though. I think Onuachu will be on the first flight out of here, probably on the same plane as Orsic! In a few years time that'll be a great pab quiz question. DCC too - i think he'll join Orsic and head back to Croatia, it just hasn't worked out for him.

I'd be quite depressed if we retained Lyanco, Diallo, Aribo, Moussa, Adam Armstrong or Theo though and it would suggest we haven't learnt a thing. They need to go by hook or by crook, possibly some loans and contract payoffs to get rid of those.

CM is the clear gap given we'd lose JWP and Lavia, I'd also say we need two goal scorers and some better quality wide options. I'd also go out and buy some new CB's, and in essence just build a new spine to the team. We can then blood the likes of Edozie, Alcaraz, Larios, Ballard, Dibling, Doyle etc in and around accomplished players, rather than expecting them to run the show for us.

When we last built a brand new team in L1 we sorted the spine out - Jaidi, Hammond, Butterfield, Kelvin staying, Lambo up top. Then we added Ox, Lallana and Morgan around them and let them flourish with more accomplished players and leaders around them. 

It's really achievable and within the realms to dominate the league if we get the big calls right, as financially we will be able to compete more than most. But getting the big calls right is my biggest fear given the horrific decision making up to now. I feel like it could quite easily go in the direction of Swansea/Stoke as it could go in the direction of Burnley. A big summer for the immediate and long term future of us as a football club. Get it wrong and some of us will never see top flight football again.

Spot on. If we get someone who understands either English game and/or the Championship - Cooper, Benitez, Gerrard, Nuno - they won’t need telling about importance of building a spine, just like we did with that L1 squad - Jaidi, Hammond, Chaplow, Lambert, Fonte, Connolly. They’re football people and they get it. Any more clever shit though and it’ll straight down back to League One. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I agree. S-Clarke always provides well reasoned posts and this is spot on. Sort the spine out. One attack, one midfield general, one defence is the spine (so we need to find an attacker!). Then, target the players we're going to keep and encourage them to stay (like last time, Rickie Lambert went with us from League One to the Premiership as did Lallana & Morgan). Given the likes of Lavia, ABK, Bednerek, KWP will probably leave, I hope we can keep Alcaraz & Sulemana.

SR must recognise they've spent a lot of money on a lot of crap. We have to offload these players. Unlike Newcastle who haven't changed the team wholesale but are constantly evolving with additions like Isak, Pope, Guimaraes, we can make major changes but we have to get them right. We'll have the comparative financial clout in the Championship to buy in good players but what's worrying is they're offering new contracts to players like Ely. 

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

When you say no way we keep Tella - i'm assuming you mean that if we get a crazy offer for him? We aren't a charity,  and can't let him go just because the side he joined on loan got promoted.....even though he played a massive part in it.

So long as we get appropriate funds for him, that's fine. Otherwise, he should be rejoining us and continuing where he left off.

Anyone else a bit excited for our potential if we get our managerial appointment right? We are going to make a shed load of money from selling about five of our players and we will have some decent players left in the championship. Imo if we had something like this I would be happy. 

New gk 

Livramento new cb Stephens Perraud 

New rm smallbone new cm Sulemana 

Alcaraz 

New striker 

Now we may not keep all of them but that's a potentially decent haul. 

• Like 1