New Manager Thread v3

Dman

Again it wasn’t the plan for Rasmus to to do the recruitment. He was lumbered with the job because Shields left for Chelsea. Which clearly went well for Chelsea. 
Wilcox is in charge of recruitment now. I’d put good money Jason has a few incomings and outgoings lined up already and again we have have plenty put aside for relegation that’s on top of any money we make on sales.

• Like 9

42 minutes ago, manji said:

Again it wasn’t the plan for Rasmus to to do the recruitment. He was lumbered with the job because Shields left for Chelsea. Which clearly went well for Chelsea. 
Wilcox is in charge of recruitment now. I’d put good money Jason has a few incomings and outgoings lined up already and again we have have plenty put aside for relegation that’s on top of any money we make on sales.

Please dont be more city youth players. kind of scratched that itch

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, manji said:

That's a poor excuse for our recruitment clusterfuck. We should have brought someone else in to oversee our transfer campaign. There's plenty of ex players/coaches/managers/scouts out there who could have been hired in on a short term basis to guide us on recruitment. It's nonsense to suggest that Rasmus had no choice but to do it himself. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, manji said:

I’m hoping they downsize the shit squad and promote at least 5 youngsters for next season so it would open the pathway again for those guys.

Nothing better than your very own doing well for the club.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

The squad will be massively downsized.

Can see Vieira coming in to work alongside Shields.

As above, sack of the Man City wannabe project. It isn’t working.

Can’t see Viera getting the Chelsea gig. As for the second point, you mean apart from our best player right? 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Please dont be more city youth players. kind of scratched that itch

Except Lavia, who is the best player I've seen in a Saints shirt for years. Will be superb at Arsenal or elsewhere. Fantastic attitude, too, and so mature for a 19 year old. Big fan. So some itches work.

• Like 8

40 minutes ago, DT said:

Except Lavia, who is the best player I've seen in a Saints shirt for years. Will be superb at Arsenal or elsewhere. Fantastic attitude, too, and so mature for a 19 year old. Big fan. So some itches work.

I'd say Edozie wasn't bad and should be a hit next year if he stays. Was inexplicably dropped from the squad entirely for more boring yet supposedly reliable players that have done nothing. 

• Like 12

I know some may consider it unrealistic, but does anyone else think we might have a good shot at getting Graham Potter? His stock is lower than it was and his philosophy and style would fit in perfectly here. You would hope we would have at least sounded him out about the possibility (I bet he would have come here had we stayed up.)

• Like 2

Just now, hypochondriac said:

I know some may consider it unrealistic, but does anyone else think we might have a good shot at getting Graham Potter? His stock is lower than it was and his philosophy and style would fit in perfectly here. You would hope we would have at least sounded him out about the possibility (I bet he would have come here had we stayed up.)

Had we stayed up I think almost certainly, but I don’t think so now. Leicester / West Ham will likely be after managers in the summer and both are the sort I could see going for him (Leicester tried when they hooked Rodgers). 

I can’t see it myself and Tbf, I don’t blame him. Riddled with risk for him to drop down now imo. 

I think Vieria is probably most likely, tbh. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

Had we stayed up I think almost certainly, but I don’t think so now. Leicester / West Ham will likely be after managers in the summer and both are the sort I could see going for him (Leicester tried when they hooked Rodgers). 

I can’t see it myself and Tbf, I don’t blame him. Riddled with risk for him to drop down now imo. 

Why do you think Vieira? He hasn't had much notable coaching success and no championship experience. I'm not sure he's who I would go for other than him being a name that the players should respect. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dman said:

That would mean Moyes was available so he would be in demand. West Ham would go for Carrick I reckon.

Just now, Give it to Ron said:

That would mean Moyes was available so he would be in demand. West Ham would go for Carrick I reckon.

Lets not forget that Leicester could be coming down with us so that would remove them as a possibility. I'd say we would have a lot of potential as a championship club compared to some of the teams that may be promoted this year. 

• Like 1

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Lets not forget that Leicester could be coming down with us so that would remove them as a possibility. I'd say we would have a lot of potential as a championship club compared to some of the teams that may be promoted this year. 

I was thinking who would like down with us Leicester lost 90+m  I think relegation would really hit them hard. Everton too but think it will be Leeds.

Forest guaranteed 3 points on Monday.

Next manager has to be the correct one and I don’t trust SR to get it right 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

I was thinking who would like down with us Leicester lost 90+m  I think relegation would really hit them hard. Everton too but think it will be Leeds.

Forest guaranteed 3 points on Monday.

Next manager has to be the correct one and I don’t trust SR to get it right 

It will hopefully be Willcox making the decisions. If he was a bit younger, a Neil Warnock type would be perfect seeing how quickly he's managed to transform Huddersfield. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

It will hopefully be Willcox making the decisions. If he was a bit younger, a Neil Warnock type would be perfect seeing how quickly he's managed to transform Huddersfield. 

Again not sure Wilcox has proven anything yet to ensure he does that and under what influence from above.

1 minute ago, Give it to Ron said:

Again not sure Wilcox has proven anything yet to ensure he does that and under what influence from above.

The point is that will be his remit if the club are doing things properly (and manji as a known ITK has intimated that he will be the one making the decisions). Ankerson has proven that he isn't the man to be making those decisions and Wilcox has not given us reason to doubt him as yet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Why do you hope it will be Wilcox? Has he ever been entrusted to make a managerial appointment before? His expertise to date is in academy player recruitment. Yes given his playing history he is a better option than Rasmus/Semmens (this forum is a better option than those two), but I'm not convinced he'll be that informed unless the manager has a City Group history, hence why Vieira is looking a strong possibility

15 hours ago, manji said:

My only concern with Wilcox is the continued focus on 'youth' - his background is academy and youth football, so his contacts and scouting knowledge will be of that arena. I really hope we focus beyond just youth this summer, I think we have to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Potter is probably the most ambitious target and name that we might be interested in that is remotely realistic. 

2 hours ago, Dman said:

But he’ll probably want to see the EPL jobs closed off to him first after we go down.

Although Leicester might also go down, I suspect they or Leeds in the Championship would be more appealing than us as the clubs seem to be more stable in the background.

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

Again not sure Wilcox has proven anything yet ..

59 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Why do you hope it will be Wilcox? Has he ever been entrusted to make a managerial appointment before? His expertise to date is in academy player recruitment. Yes given his playing history he is a better option than Rasmus/Semmens (this forum is a better option than those two), but I'm not convinced he'll be that informed unless the manager has a City Group history, hence why Vieira is looking a strong possibility

Fact is we’ve got to pin our hope on Wilcox doing a good job for us as we already know what a clusterfuck Rasmus is capable of making.

Agree about Vieira although not convinced as his track record as head coach/manager is pretty indifferent and it seems he’s still trading on his reputation as a player. 

I hope we replicate what we did with the search for a striker - get linked with a load of really exciting players from abroad that we've never heard of but sound really good.  Come really close to getting them only for them to get a better offer at the 11th hour. 

We can then settle on someone that unites the fanbase in apathy and march on with some nice PR soundbites.  It's the Southampton Way.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I'd say Edozie wasn't bad and should be a hit next year if he stays. Was inexplicably dropped from the squad entirely for more boring yet supposedly reliable players that have done nothing. 

He really wasn't all that good...and that's coming from someone that loves that type of player (more skills than end product).

I am not convinced he will get us promoted next season. And that's what we are talking about. Despite what everyone seems to think, having skillful flair players like him are what get you out of the championship, so we will desperately need his sort to blossom, but I'm just worried he doesn't have enough to his game yet. It might take another couple of seasons before he refines his game (and he might never do it). 

if he does become an absolute top class player in time, then how he's managed (and by who) will be crucial.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chez said:

I really wasn't all that good...and that's coming from someone that loves that type of player (more skills than end product).

I am not convinced he will get us promoted next season. And that's what we are talking about. Despite what everyone seems to think, having skillful flair players like him are what get you out of the championship, so we will desperately need his sort to blossom, but I'm just worried he doesn't have enough to his game yet. It might take another couple of seasons before he refines his game (and he might never do it). 

if he does become an absolute top class player in time, then how he managed (and by who) will be crucial.

I agree. I wouldn't want him as first choice starter next year but I'd certainly have him in the squad. 

1 hour ago, woodsaint1 said:

I'm hoping it is Wilcox because that will be his job role next year. The alternative would be someone else picking which would be outside of their remit. You have no idea what he would be like in terms of picking a manager and neither do I but I want him picking it because someone else picking would be another sign of dysfunction within the club. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Wilcox is Director Of Football which includes recruitment. 

• Like 3

Whoever the next manager is that’s coming in will have a mega chest to start with plus a half decent squad of players.

Gone will be JWP, Latvia for starters but that’s 80m right there!

Get the right guy in and let him run the football things while keeping Ankerson a million miles away.

Onwards and upwards.

• Like 2

If we had anything about us we'd immediately appoint the Wrexham manager. No other football club has ever been promoted before and they've done it because Wrexham Wrexham Wrexham vision vision Wrexham vision.

But typical our club won't do it because we lack vision or something.

• Haha 4