James Ward-Prowse

harvey

Thought he was brilliant tonight. If the ref had been less biased we'd have had a freekick on the edge of the box and we might be talking about him equalling Beckham's record. 

His freekick ability is a double edged sword for him personally as if he isn't scoring them he gets written off as having played badly.

• Like 2

Lol.

The gap between our best players (JWP, Lavia, KWP, ABK) and our worst (Armstrong, Moi, Perraud) tonight was stark. I can't really recall a Saints team where this was the case as much as in the current team. I mean Lavia to Diallo is like comparing Ings to Lee Barnard.

JWP has carried this team for 18 months and deserves better.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 11

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Thought he was brilliant tonight. If the ref had been less biased we'd have had a freekick on the edge of the box and we might be talking about him equalling Beckham's record. 

His freekick ability is a double edged sword for him personally as if he isn't scoring them he gets written off as having played badly.

I can never understand why we don't utilise his abilities like rugby...get the ball in to areas to draw fouls?

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

Lol.

The gap between our best players (JWP, Lavia, KWP, ABK) and our worst (Armstrong, Moi, Perraud) tonight was stark.

A matter of opinions.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Absolutely Superb tonight. 

I thought so too, but I don’t think it’s the majority opinion.  BBC does a “rate the players” features every game and JWP got the lowest rating of any Saints player.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65271717

Personally I think we’re quite lucky to have him and we’ll struggle to replace him.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

I thought so too, but I don’t think it’s the majority opinion.  BBC does a “rate the players” features every game and JWP got the lowest rating of any Saints player.

Personally I think we’re quite lucky to have him and we’ll struggle to replace him.

I’ve seen that before, I’m not sure I’ve ever understood the point in it as it’s bollocks. Better off looking at whoscored who at least rate players of statistical analysis. 

IMG_0834.jpeg

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Not really a double edged sword.   I think it's more he has a world class free kick technique but in open play he's a hard working, average midfielder.    It will be interesting to see what sort of fee the Club gets for him in the Summer.    

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Said the same on the other thread. I thought he was excellent 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

I’ve seen that before, I’m not sure I’ve ever understood the point in it as it’s bollocks. Better off looking at whoscored who at least rate players of statistical analysis. 

IMG_0834.jpeg

I agree.

No matter what, I always give all our players and subs a 10, whilst giving all the players on the other team a 1.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, Dusic said:

Apparently JWP has been told that he can go this summer. 

I've historically not been his biggest fan, but I agree with your point that he's carried us. He's been superb.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, egg said:

Apparently JWP has been told that he can go this summer. 

I've historically not been his biggest fan, but I agree with your point that he's carried us. He's been superb.  

I hope he beats Becks record before he moves....

• Like 2

He rallied the team numerous times on the pitch yesterday, he was everywhere in midfield, and he made numerous goal saving tackles or blocks... 2 of which were certain goals prevented... 

Queue fans wishing for him to leave... Hard to make it up. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Saint86 said:

He rallied the team numerous times on the pitch yesterday, be was everywhere in midfield, and he made numerous goal saving tackles or blocks... 2 of which were certain goals prevented... 

I don't think fans want him to leave - but we're going to be in the Championship next season.   Can you see JWP wanting to stay around for that at 28 or 29 years of age?    The fee we get for him is the interesting part.

2 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

He rallied the team numerous times on the pitch yesterday, be was everywhere in midfield, and he made numerous goal saving tackles or blocks... 2 of which were certain goals prevented... 

I thought he played quite well. However if he is to stay captain (or stay at all) we should bring in a more senior experienced player alongside him who is a known leader.

We also need a tough tackling lower league player to replace lavia / JWP next season so maybe someone in that position. Someone who no one wants to get near in case he breaks their legs would be ideal. 

• Like 1

He’s been captain of a team who consistently collapses and bottles it when we’re leading and it basically sums up his style of play.

No control, no composure on the ball, always panics under pressure, never takes a risk, doesn’t like showing for the ball in tight spaces, always vacates the midfield in possession to drop into the back line. He’s a mentally weak player and despite his technical ability he’ll never be a great midfielder because unlike the best, he has no idea how to control a game and dictate our tempo.

And just because he rallies the players or shouts a bit after conceding it doesn’t really do us much good.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

JWP certainly divides opinion. My reading of the lad is that he is a very average footballer with a special talent at free kicks. That in itself doesn't make him a good footballer. He is more consistent now than when he broke in to the first team as a regular but not by that much, perhaps a little braver now but not by much and risk averse he certainly is while his leadership qualities leave much to be desired. 

I would like to see him leave, there's not much more he can do here and it is even doubtful we'd miss him at all. I'd love to see a Saints team that does not feel compelled to always recycle the ball to him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Dusic said:

Lol.

The gap between our best players (JWP, Lavia, KWP, ABK) and our worst (Armstrong, Moi, Perraud) tonight was stark. I can't really recall a Saints team where this was the case as much as in the current team. I mean Lavia to Diallo is like comparing Ings to Lee Barnard.

I will miss him when he goes and he’s been decent, but that’s hardly an accolade when it’s probably been our worst 18 months ever in the Prem.

He had a good spell with a new more aggressive approach and we enjoyed Zaha being nullified . He suffered a bit as the team went into slow decline and missed out on an England place so that was probably his last chance . Like most players he would look better in a more positive going forward team . JWP is JWP he's not some shouty , pointy , in yer face bloke .

• Like 2

So, what’s the story morning glory? No show for second half? Followed by unfathomable tactical change  to 3 at the back? 5 at the back? No one at the back? Headless chickens at the back ??? Elyonoussi at the back (see also headless chickens). I’ve never seen such a shamozzle. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

So, what’s the story morning glory? No show for second half? Followed by unfathomable tactical change  to 3 at the back? 5 at the back? No one at the back? Headless chickens at the back ??? Elyonoussi at the back (see also headless chickens). I’ve never seen such a shamozzle. 

My neighbour’s instant reaction was that he hand Selles had had a fallout in the dressing room over the negative way that we had been playing. Hence the diplomatic illness.

AMN went into midfield to fill his place and Lyanco came on to replace AMN at right back. We lost any shape that we had in the first half.

• Haha 1

On 22/04/2023 at 11:24, Scottie said:

Consistently one of our best players over the last few seasons. Given the size of our club and our funding it’s highly unlikely we will get better regardless of what league we are in.

Not exactly a glowing endorsement.

Like saying he was the shiniest shit in the pile of turd.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Did he play a forward pass in the first half last night? 

Yes he did, but also he is playing under strict instructions from an extremely negative “manager”.

Ironically he was better under Jones playing further forward. He’ll do well elsewhere where they play to his strengths.

Can you imagine what it is like for a player of his calibre playing in our “system” with players like Elyonoussi and god knows who around him? What does he think when he sees the team sheet and tactics board or whatever they use? We only have to watch it, he has to try to make it happen.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Yes he did, but also he is playing under strict instructions from an extremely negative “manager”.

Ironically he was better under Jones playing further forward. He’ll do well elsewhere where they play to his strengths.

Can you imagine what it is like for a player of his calibre playing in our “system” with players like Elyonoussi and god knows who around him? What does he think when he sees the team sheet and tactics board or whatever they use? We only have to watch it, he has to try to make it happen.

Lavia doesn't seem to have a problem playing forward passes. JWP is a "safe" player. 

In my opinion Romeu and Lavia have held our midfield together over the last few years. JWP is decent but that's all IMO. It'll be a shame when he goes but I certainly won't be losing any sleep over it. 

11 minutes ago, Stud mark of doom said:

Good point. This could well have been the reason Selles subbed him. 

More likely he was subbed because JWP gave him a blast at half time for hist total and utter incompetence in blindly steering us to the championship,

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Lavia doesn't seem to have a problem playing forward passes. JWP is a *"safe" player. 

In my opinion **Romeu and Lavia have held our midfield together over the last few years. JWP is decent but that's all IMO. It'll be a shame when he goes but I certainly won't be losing any sleep over it. 

*I think that is the role JWP has been given. When JWP played for England and there were eager runners everywhere he didn't have a problem playing forward.

**Lavia has only been here one season (his one and only)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Sorry, I know the other players are terrible too, but JWP has been a big problem for years. He’s not capable of playing under pressure, he can’t play with one touch, everything is risk adverse. He only makes himself available for the ball when he knows he won’t get closed down. 

It’s no coincidence that for the past 5 years with him as a regular almost every win is a struggle by the end or so many points have been dropped: he can’t dictate the play. 

We need a midfielder who can grab the game by the scruff of the neck and take it under control: not someone who has to drop into the backline constantly to give himself more time, not someone who just boots it anywhere when put under pressure.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Nemi said:

Sorry, I know the other players are terrible too, but JWP has been a big problem for years. He’s not capable of playing under pressure, he can’t play with one touch, everything is risk adverse. He only makes himself available for the ball when he knows he won’t get closed down. 

It’s no coincidence that for the past 5 years with him as a regular almost every win is a struggle by the end or so many points have been dropped: he can’t dictate the play. 

We need a midfielder who can grab the game by the scruff of the neck and take it under control: not someone who has to drop into the backline constantly to give himself more time, not someone who just boots it anywhere when put under pressure.

I accept he has his limitations, he isn't KDB, but we are shitty Saints, not Man City. I just find it strange that of all the limited players we have, and the ones that don't give a crap, and amongst all the other failings of our club,  that he gets singled out for criticism, extremely harsh in my view.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I accept he has his limitations, he isn't KDB, but we are shitty Saints, not Man City. I just find it strange that of all the limited players we have, and the ones that don't give a crap, and amongst all the other failings of our club,  that he gets singled out for criticism, extremely harsh in my view.

My biggest frustration is that we’ve had various opportunities to cash in on him and rebuild for some pretty generous money but refused to do it basically just to generate some positive PR. (Although I accept this would also require competent owners, which is where the blame truly lies)

There’s plenty of midfielders out there who can move the ball with one touch (even Bournemouth were knocking it about with one touch with ease, Championships and League One teams were doing it against us - when do Saints ever do that) and unless we address this (along with many other things) we’ll continue to struggle no matter what league we’re in.

And honestly if JWP accepted being a right-back (where he’s always played exceptional) it would be a lot better. He’d get the time on the ball he needs, he wouldn’t have to play with his back to goal as much, he could whip in crosses. But we can’t have him at DM if we’re serious about rebuilding

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Agree with this, far more effective further forward. I also don't think half of these players are entirely useless but, as you say, just playing to instruction. Get too adventurous and you're likely dropped. They're obviously prohibited from speaking out against tactics, so must be frustrating and easy to lose heart in playing in such a stifled side. Having said that, they should also remind themselves they have a lifestyle and getting paid salaries most fans can only fantasise about. Yep, for playing football.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 100%Red&White said:

Agree with this, far more effective further forward. I also don't think half of these players are entirely useless but, as you say, just playing to instruction. Get too adventurous and you're likely dropped. They're obviously prohibited from speaking out against tactics, so must be frustrating and easy to lose heart in playing in such a stifled side. Having said that, they should also remind themselves they have a lifestyle and getting paid salaries most fans can only fantasise about. Yep, for playing football.

Funnily I said to my daughter last night  that the absolutely useless Adam Armstrong would never have to work again, even if he stopped playing tomorrow, just for having spent a couple of years in the PL.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Would love to know what was said at half-time last night.  I’m not buying this illness reason.

I would love it if it went like this.

JWP ‘Fuck sake we need to win this game not pounce it around the back line.’

Selles ‘Hey we’ve not conceded yet so it’s very much another point James.’

JWP ‘But we are bottom and cut adrift from the rest, we need to win this by pumping more balls into their box.’

Selles ‘We are bottom? I had no idea as I don’t look at the league table.’

JWP ‘You fucking useless piece of shit, I’m done with this bolloxs.’

• Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to James Ward-Prowse