Ex players talking about Saints

Pilchards

Listening to Carlton Palmer this morning while on my way to work.

Leeds this, Leeds that blah blah… He never had a nice word to say about us.

Shearer is the same, not a thought for a club who once employed him as he’s in the stands cheering on Newcastle.

The biggest wanker of them all who never says a good thing about us is Andy Townsend.

Anyone else out there who played for us but is a complete bellend?

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Carlton Palmer didn't enjoy his time at Saints particularly and didn't/doesn't like Matt Le Tissier specifically. He went into that in the Quickly Kevin podcast a few years ago.

I would never expect Palmer to talk about us, he's not known for being a Southampton person, he was with us for less than a season and a half in a career where he played for lots of clubs and England. I never hear any fans ever talk fondly about him, no one is nostalgic about him here. We don't care about him, so why should he care about us?

I think you are being completely unfair on Shearer. His missus is from Southampton, and he talks about us fondly from time to time, especially in the context of his development. When our relegation is confirmed I am sure he will say something.

He's from Newcastle and is a favourite son of the city. God knows why you'd expect him to be chatting about us every five minutes.

Some Saints fans are absolutely myopic.

• Like 16

22 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Shearer is the same, not a thought for a club who once employed him as he’s in the stands cheering on Newcastle.

The biggest wanker of them all who never says a good thing about us is Andy Townsend.

Townsend has always irritated me, we took him from non league and he’s airbrushed us from his history 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Harsh on Shearer, he’s always good on us, of course he’s going to favour Newcastle, he bloody supports them. 

• Like 7

My eldest boy works in a hotel up here in Scotland and Alan Shearer was staying at the hotel playing golf. He said that Shearer was talking about Saints and his time there for ages. That was before my boy mentioned anything about us being Saints fans 

• Like 9

17 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

Townsend is a complete knob

Absolutely YES ..  Can I like this post more than once ?

Signed by Mc Menemy (I think)..and got plenty of game time.  Saints re-habbed and perservered with him after he broke a leg,

but he later fell out with Chris Nicholl .. ( I know who I'd side with ) ...and then moved onto pastures new.

He may have done well for himself later, but there is the possibility that he might have finished his career ....with Weymouth.

• Like 5

Watched an interview with James Beattie... a while ago.

Said he always liked playing for Saints and was a bit sad about having to make the move to EVERTON.

Didn't really want to go,  but Saints were very hard up (as usual) and just couldn't afford to turn down the  6 million offer...

............(not the first time I've heard that storyline from a former player)...

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

Said he always liked playing for Saints and was a bit sad about having to make the move to EVERTON.

Didn't really want to go,  but Saints were very hard up (as usual) and just couldn't afford to turn down the  6 million offer...

............(not the first time I've heard that storyline from a former player)...

I think that Surman has a similar story.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, david in sweden said:

Beattie was sold the January of the season we went down because Redknapp wanted to bring a load of new players in and as is our way we had to sell to buy. Because the obvious thing to do when you’re in a relegation battle is to sell your best striker and bring in a load of shite in his place. 

Mad to think we had a Beattie, Crouch and Phillips in our squad that season all proven premier league goalscorer easily capable  of 10+ goals a season now we don’t have anyone who can do that 

• Like 9

19 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

Townsend is a complete knob

The prick was on the radio when the Lineker tweet furore was at peak. He said what he didn’t like was that Gary let others like Wright and Shearer take the hit whilst saying nothing. Clueless twat doesn’t understand anything

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Beattie was sold the January of the season we went down because Redknapp wanted to bring a load of new players in and as is our way we had to sell to buy. Because the obvious thing to do when you’re in a relegation battle is to sell your best striker and bring in a load of shite in his place. 

Mad to think we had a Beattie, Crouch and Phillips in our squad that season all proven premier league goalscorer easily capable  of 10+ goals a season now we don’t have anyone who can do that 

Phillips hit 30 goals a couple seasons before we bought him didn't he? Such an underrated player who I believe ended up with a goal record of a goal every 2.5 games, which is incredible.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Even Ormerod is better than some in this squad. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Phillips hit 30 goals a couple seasons before we bought him didn't he? Such an underrated player who I believe ended up with a goal record of a goal every 2.5 games, which is incredible.

He did. He scored 10 or more goals when he made 30+ appearances in 5 of 6 premier league seasons playing for mid/lower table clubs. He was a great, such a clean striker of the ball. 

Beattie scored 23 league goals the season we finished 8th and got to the FA cup final. 

On 22/04/2023 at 11:58, Pilchards said:

Heard Shearer say plenty of good things about Southampton. 

• Like 3

Shearer has always given Saints a warm review when I’ve heard him.

Of course he has been critical of them at times, especially the defending, but that’s not surprising and when he does , it doesn’t come across that he’s taking pleasure in it (unlike Townsend). I’ve also heard him lay into Newcastle when they were an ordinary team without money. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Chivers was the one who disappointed the most. Southampton through and through yet threw his lot in with the north London yobboes. 

I remember he even openly admitted this when being interviewed pitchside at half time during a Saints v NLY fixture at St Mary’s. 

50 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Chivers was the one who disappointed the most. Southampton through and through yet threw his lot in with the north London yobboes. 

I thought he said when interviewed pitchside the other year at St Marys the first he knew about being transferred to Spurs was when he read the echo headlines displayed outside the newsagent ?

Edited by 64saint

1 hour ago, 64saint said:

I thought he said when interviewed pitchside the other year at St Marys the first he knew about being transferred to Spurs was when he read the echo headlines displayed outside the newsagent ?

Yes he did say that. But after he went Spurs became his nos 1 club and still is. 

25 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Yes he did say that. But after he went Spurs became his nos 1 club and still is. 

Ah right, thanks for clearing that up.

Another thing I remember from that pitchside interview was how he said about the club had this young up and coming kid who was going to replace him, a lad called Mick Channon.   Umm...think that worked out ok. 😊👍

Edited by 64saint
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Turkish said:

He did. He scored 10 or more goals when he made 30+ appearances in 5 of 6 premier league seasons playing for mid/lower table clubs. He was a great, such a clean striker of the ball. 

Beattie scored 23 league goals the season we finished 8th and got to the FA cup final. 

I recall that Beattie didn't get off the mark until game 9 (?) that season, then went like a train the rest of the time  and

was only pipped for the Golden Boot by Thierry Henry - who scored just one goal more....

13 hours ago, Badger said:

I know it’s been covered previously on here, but it was remarkable that Dave Merrington retained affection for the club after the way he was dismissed.

Like many who went before him,  DM managed to keep us afloat for that one season, which was a just reward for a man who managed our Youth squads

for 10 years and brought on talents like;   MLT,  Shearer, Maddison, the Wallace Brothers, Kenna, Benali, Dodd and a series of lesser well-known players

many of whom went onto make league careers at various levels.

Alan Shearer once commented (with respect) that Merrington often gave the youngsters " a hard time" , but succeeded in turning " the boys into men "   

and they all benefitted from his " hard, but fair " methods. 

Rupert Lowe must have thought he did well by replacing Dave with - Graham Souness, (who distinguished himself by signing Ali Dia), but at the 

end of his one season,  bu**ered off to manage in Italy - after Lowe told him he'd have  one  million pounds...as a summer transfer budget !!!!   (joke).

1 hour ago, david in sweden said:

Rupert Lowe must have thought he did well by replacing Dave with - Graham Souness, (who distinguished himself by signing Ali Dia), but at the 

end of his one season,  bu**ered off to manage in Italy - after Lowe told him he'd have  one  million pounds...as a summer transfer budget !!!!   (joke).

I don’t think Lowe was here when Merrington left.

It seemed that Souness was brought in to make us more attractive to investors by the then board.

4 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

This video amuses me, pompey fan desperate for Mick Channon to support them. 

Guessing it would have been done for one of the mid-late 80s matches, shortly after Channon left them? In which case he probably had more of a connection with them (and Alan Ball) compared to the youthful side coming through at Saints. So at that snapshot in time, I can understand if he felt a bit of affinity with Pompey.

Anyway his son used to write for Saintsforever, so make of that what you will - I highly doubt it was an act of rebellion against his dad!

48 minutes ago, Badger said:

I don’t think Lowe was here when Merrington left.

It seemed that Souness was brought in to make us more attractive to investors by the then board.

That’s exactly what happened. 

Lowe walked in, Lawrie & Souness walked out. 

The figure of £1mil quoted was wrong as well, Lowe set a budget of £2mil, GS wanted £7mil 

James Beattie was interviewed a year or so ago and his version was basically being told that he was being sold because (apparently) £6m was too good an offer to turn down. But he says he wanted to stay.

Charlie Austin - there’s a recent one who is very critical of Ralph for calling him out on his fitness and general laziness. Should probably listen given that he had 25-30,000 fans thinking the same thing every week.
His career in Australia certainly failed to ever peak.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Guessing it would have been done for one of the mid-late 80s matches, shortly after Channon left them? In which case he probably had more of a connection with them (and Alan Ball) compared to the youthful side coming through at Saints. So at that snapshot in time, I can understand if he felt a bit of affinity with Pompey.

Anyway his son used to write for Saintsforever, so make of that what you will - I highly doubt it was an act of rebellion against his dad!

was looking about and stumbled into this gem

• Like 5

On 24/04/2023 at 15:13, SotonianWill said:

was looking about and stumbled into this gem

Great piece to watch.

Love the section at the end, taking you behind the scenes, for a game against Utd. A proper kit as well, simple red and white stripes with black shorts.

• Like 1

On 24/04/2023 at 15:02, Lord Duckhunter said:

That’s exactly what happened. 

Lowe walked in, Lawrie & Souness walked out. 

The figure of £1mil quoted was wrong as well, Lowe set a budget of £2mil, GS wanted £7mil 

If it was 2 million?  ( I stand corrected).... but Souness said he was disgusted at the offer as it was far from realistic in the market at the time.

On 23/04/2023 at 13:15, Saint_clark said:

Correct Saint_clark.   He scored 30 Prem. goals in 1999-2000 season. 

Amazing to think that he started as a schoolboy with Saints and was on the books for 6 years before being released - as it was considered he was 

"too small "  to be a striker, (and even a full back ) !.          Similar storyline with Dennis Wise who was released by Saints - for the same reason.

Kevin Phillips spent several seasons in non-league football after being released by Saints before ending up at Sunderland  (who were a good Prem. side).

His goal scoring record with Sunderland was nothing short of miraculous as he scored 130 goals in 235 apps. in all competitions.