The Death of the Tory Party and the Rebirth of the UK As We Know It (General Election 2024 Thread)

sadoldgit

20 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Braverman didn’t have the same raw, untamed sexual magnetism that Patel brought to the table.

Tbf Priti is quite pretty from the neck up. Being shaped like a weeble from the neck down doesn’t help her cause, granted. Sue Ellen on the other hand looks like Dobby the elf.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For those poor misguided souls who think that there is little to choose between the two parties -

One the one hand we have a party who have gradually been destroying this country over the last 13 years. A bunch of self serving, corrupt, incompetent, misguided, useless individuals who have run down public services, the NHS, trade, the standing of the UK on the world stage, housing, transport the economy etc. etc.

On the other hand you have a party  who will run the country based on the needs of normal working people, not themselves. Who will rebuild the NHS, public services, education, trade, the economy, housing, transport, the standing of the UK on the world stage etc. etc.

Hmmmm…. Who to vote for 🤔

Anyone voting for another five years under these charlatans really needs to seek some professional help.

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

For those poor misguided souls who think that there is little to choose between the two parties -

One the one hand we have a party who have gradually been destroying this country over the last 13 years. A bunch of self serving, corrupt, incompetent, misguided, useless individuals who have run down public services, the NHS, trade, the standing of the UK on the world stage, housing, transport the economy etc. etc.

On the other hand you have a party  who will run the country based on the needs of normal working people, not themselves. Who will rebuild the NHS, public services, education, trade, the economy, housing, transport, the standing of the UK on the world stage etc. etc.

Anyone voting for another five years under these charlatans really needs to seek some professional help.

That most tragic part of this post, you genuinely believe it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, egg said:

Putting aside what he says about Labour, don't you agree with what he said about the Tories? 

Quite. I think you've got to really stretch the limits of partisan zeal to think the current Labour lot would do a worse job than the current Tory lot.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, egg said:

Putting aside what he says about Labour, don't you agree with what he said about the Tories? 

They have ran their race, clearly. 

However, taking over a broken country in 2010 was a situation that I am sure Labour are happy they could pass the baton on (afterall, they had clearly ran their race then). The UK recovered pretty well, and we pulled out of 2x massive, enduring conflicts, that we had no business being involved in. They gave the Scotland and then country the vote it wanted, regardless if you agree with them or the outcomes. Trouble is, they bet on the other result in 2016.

Any of the Tory leaders would have my preference over the magic grandpa and his merry band of idiots.

As for the pandemic, that was one I am sure Labour are glad they could give a wide berth,

Clearly, the Tories have ran their race, time is up and probably should have been when they ousted Boris (for whatever reason).

Any party in power for a decade or so seems to eat itself.

Thankfully, we will not see much change when Labour win, as there is little between them both other much better PR

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, egg said:

I think the first part is the bit he was objecting to and I can see his point. I will be voting Labour at the next GE as the current government has quite clearly sh*t the bed, but it won’t be out of some sort of utopian dream, like the one SOG described.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I think the first part is the bit he was objecting to and I can see his point. I will be voting Labour at the next GE as the current government has quite clearly sh*t the bed, but it won’t be out of some sort of utopian dream, like the one SOG described.

Yep, agree with this. Right now I just want a government run by intelligent grown ups. Labour have an awful lot to prove and seeing Starmer already row back on certain pledges is a slight concern. But they’re certainly a better option than the current shower of shit and deserve a chance ASAP.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I don’t for one minute believe that we are suddenly going to be transported into some kind of utopian dream under Labour. What I do expect is a government who will prioritise the kind of things that ordinary people find important, want changed or improved and govern accordingly. I want a competent PM who will be taken seriously both nationally and internationally. I want MPs who put their constituents first, not themselves, their careers and the interests of their mates. I don’t think for one minute that things will be perfect, especially given the mess the country is currently in, but it most certainly can be so much better. I am voting for better. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Clearly, the Tories have ran their race, time is up and probably should have been when they ousted Boris (for whatever reason).

TBF, the moment they collectively decided that sack of shit would be a good leader was probably when they crossed the point of no return. 

He only managed to win a GE because of Brexit and because of Corbyn being unelectable. In any other (normal) circumstances he would have led his party to an embarrassing defeat at the polls and a term or two in opposition.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

13 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I don’t for one minute believe that we are suddenly going to be transported into some kind of utopian dream under Labour.

Fuck me, the dream dies in under an hour. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

another classic post. Sog - right and good, everyone else bad and evil

Tories, evil, self serving people only interested in doing what's best for themselves, put themselves first

Labour - lovely people who will do what is best for the country, they'll themselves last putting everyone elses needs ahead of their own

2 hours ago, The Kraken said:

Tbf Priti is quite pretty from the neck up. Being shaped like a weeble from the neck down doesn’t help her cause, granted. Sue Ellen on the other hand looks like Dobby the elf.

I quite fancied Priti Patel. She had something about her, she'd be like the up herself, bitchy HR bird at work that relishes giving people disciplinaries and enjoys making people redundant but despite knowing all this you'd try your luck

8 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Correct. 

Peter Hitchens has been saying for years, the biggest obstacle to a conservative UK is the Conservative party. Leaving that soft arsed remainer pinko Hunt in post & bringing back “Call me Dave” sums it up. There’s people in the Labour Party more conservative & less woke than this bunch and they’d probably want lower taxes.

It’s all just a big centrist blob, Sunak has more in common with Starmer than his membership & vice versa. 

Hitchens way off the mark again, the biggest obstacle to a conservative UK is that not nearly enough people want one.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

2 hours ago, The Kraken said:

Yep, agree with this. Right now I just want a government run by intelligent grown ups. Labour have an awful lot to prove and seeing Starmer already row back on certain pledges is a slight concern. But they’re certainly a better option than the current shower of shit and deserve a chance ASAP.

Agree with both. My point was to set SoG's comments re labour to one side, and address what he said about the Tories. He was correct in what he said about the Tories, and although I have reservations about a Labour government under Starmer, we need a change sharpish. 

• Like 1

Yesterday I thought that the Minister for Common Sense was a joke, but it's a real thing. Sunak is clueless.

American analysis suggests that the culture wars has little impact on voter attentions, it excites the base that are going to vote for you anyway but does little to attract floating voters. The Republicans have got themselves into a mess with abortion rights.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Johnson cultist Andrea Jenkyns. I could have written her letter 

Someone should have written it for her.

It's a ranty word salad that defies the laws of grammar, but what should we expect from a former Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Education, someone who told teachers how to do their job.

There is clearly a lack of quality at the top of this government, but with the Eton pig-fucking lobbyist king nestling back at the trough, Rishi has certainly added depth in the corruption dept.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

I see one is from middle finger weilding Johnson cultist Andrea Jenkyns. I could have written her letter it was so predictable.

With a bit of luck she won't matter after the next election. Like many of the unmentionable Tory MPs she will be a victim of the Red wall collapse. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rallyboy said:

Someone should have written it for her.

It's a ranty word salad that defies the laws of grammar, but what should we expect from a former Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Education, someone who told teachers how to do their job.

There is clearly a lack of quality at the top of this government, but with the Eton pig-fucking lobbyist king nestling back at the trough, Rishi has certainly added depth in the corruption dept.

My take on the Cameron come back is that the Sunak team want austerity to be raised, so they can respond with the nonsense about Labour spending all the money, because linking Labour to economic incompetence works well for them.

You can picture the geeky, spotty 23 year old oxbridge grads war gaming and the high fiving of bringing back 'The Cam', I reckon the cool one breaks out into a home counties accent Eminem rap with accompanying dad dancing and mic drop.

It also had the added benefit of wiping Braverman out of the spot light yesterday.

31 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

With a bit of luck she won't matter after the next election. Like many of the unmentionable Tory MPs she will be a victim of the Red wall collapse. 

Why was losing Braverman a finger to the red wall? Those people voted for levelling up not anti-police or anti-trans bollicks.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

My take on the Cameron come back is that the Sunak team want austerity to be raised, so they can respond with the nonsense about Labour spending all the money, because linking Labour to economic incompetence works well for them.

You can picture the geeky, spotty 23 year old oxbridge grads war gaming and the high fiving of bringing back 'The Cam', I reckon the cool one breaks out into a home counties accent Eminem rap with accompanying dad dancing and mic drop.

It also had the added benefit of wiping Braverman out of the spot light yesterday.

Some no mark Tory MP on tv this morning was desperate to reference 13 years ago no money blah blah blah. Quite pathetic that they think this is a line of debate that resonates with electorate. Of course Tories seem a little less mad now and sure to help them a little bit but no fundamental strategy to sort anything and we have all had senough.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, whelk said:

Some no mark Tory MP on tv this morning was desperate to reference 13 years ago no money blah blah blah. Quite pathetic that they think this is a line of debate that resonates with electorate. Of course Tories seem a little less mad now and sure to help them a little bit but no fundamental strategy to sort anything and we have all had senough.

Brilliant it's happening. 

50 minutes ago, whelk said:

My only guess is that this latest re-shuffle and bringing Cameron back, is an acceptance by the great Tory establishment that they're pretty much stuffed and should focus on damage limitation.  Bring together a government with experience, some competence and centrism for a year and their polling should improve a bit and they should avoid wipeout next year.  Can't see bringing back Cameron as an election winning move though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

My only guess is that this latest re-shuffle and bringing Cameron back, is an acceptance by the great Tory establishment that they're pretty much stuffed and should focus on damage limitation.  Bring together a government with experience, some competence and centrism for a year and their polling should improve a bit and they should avoid wipeout next year.  Can't see bringing back Cameron as an election winning move though.

It’s all kicking off at the moment. Nasty Sue-Ellen has come out fighting and it ain’t pretty. It’s always a pleasure to see the Tories implode and the rabid right showing it’s teeth.

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/suella-bravermans-scathing-letter-to-rishi-sunak-in-full-after-being-sacked-as-home-secretary-13008331

Anyway, the Cameron appointment is a strange one. Is there so little talent in the Tory Party that they have to bring back the man responsible for austerity and Brexit? The answer of course is yes.

What a mess. Hopefully this letter will bring the likelihood of a GE closer. 

Looking forward to see what the Wokefinder General gets up to given that the Chairman of the Tory Party can’t even define what wokery is!

Edited by sadoldgit
Added text

I assume her Plan B is to take us out of the ECHR, the gameplan an all along thst Sunak probably didn't agree with. The timing with the Rwanda policy isn't a coincidence 

But what's her plan here? To force Sunak out, the country will be fucked off if there is another change of PM without a GE, along with a swerve to the right and they will be wiped out at the GE. If he calls a spring GE they will be out of power as well.

Her best chance was to tow the line and hope that something came along that gave the Torys a chance at the GE.

But I guess she doesn't really give a fuck about that, this is just a battle for the direction of the party.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

Yesterday I thought that the Minister for Common Sense was a joke, but it's a real thing. Sunak is clueless.

American analysis suggests that the culture wars has little impact on voter attentions, it excites the base that are going to vote for you anyway but does little to attract floating voters. The Republicans have got themselves into a mess with abortion rights.

McVey is GB News cannon fodder, thin gruel to the party Brexit right about the return of Mr Remain. Her remit will be confirmed in a few days apparently, but one area will be free speech on university campuses. Whoopie-do!

Suella’s resignation letter is even more bitter than a pint of Holt’s bitter (for those of you who haven’t had the pleasure at City/Utd away games, it’s lovely - unlike Suella - but very bitter). No sign of a rebellion yet from the ERG other than total loons like Jenkyns and a tweet from Simon Clarke about controversial decisions by the ‘manager’ and a lack of squad depth on the right wing.

Be interesting to see what she brings out in the coming days and weeks - the same drip drip effect Cummings used on Boris - and what’s in these ‘agreements’. Her camp hinting to BBC’s Chris Mason that more treats to come in a few days. Cameron’s return turned the volume down on her yesterday but Rishi doesn’t have any more cards in the pack and the Red Wall/New Conservatives group not much to lose having been cut loose leading up to the GE. Don’t think they’ll get the 54 and the country wouldn’t allow them to hold another contest, but the bitterness could be lingering.

• Like 1