The Death of the Tory Party and the Rebirth of the UK As We Know It (General Election 2024 Thread)

sadoldgit

44 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Her Fareham constituency is subject to boundary changes. Does anyone have any knowledge of what these are likely to do to the constituency profile? 

Residents who were in her constituency, but will now be outside the boundary,  are to be considered as foreign and will be deported to Rwanda.

• Haha 4

17 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

Surely the good people of Fareham can't keep voting for this vile MP.

I doubt they will again. She won't be a minister by then anyways, and probably won't be come the weekend. You can't turn on the police like she did, use the language she has, and generally stoke the fire, and stay in role. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, egg said:

I doubt they will again. She won't be a minister by then anyways, and probably won't be come the weekend. You can't turn on the police like she did, use the language she has, and generally stoke the fire, and stay in role. 

And do it in bold defiance of Number 10. We all know Sunak is a weak leader and putting up with her insubordination will make him look more pathetic. Have some backbone FFS you only have 12 months before you fly off to California and become a footnote.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

She's completely correct. I'm not sure it was wise however to articulate it in the manner she has given her role and responsibility. No doubt if there is any trouble now she will be blamed by some with an agenda. 

The Home Secretary can communicate with the Met at any time. To chose to do it as if she is Richard Littlejohn is beyond a joke. She knows what she is doing

Edited by whelk
  • Like 7

8 minutes ago, whelk said:

And do it in bold defiance of Number 10. We all know Sunak is a weak leader and putting up with her insubordination will make him look more pathetic. Have some backbone FFS you only have 12 months before you fly off to California and become a footnote.

Yep. He needs to act quickly and decisively. He can't wait for the march to be a shit show and give her the bragging rights. He needs to act on her insubordination before the event. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, whelk said:

The Home Secretary can communicate with the Met at any time. To chose to do it as if she is Richard Littlejohn is beyond a joke. She knows what she is doing

Yes it was a stupid thing to do. I expect part of it is to put public pressure on the police to act in a more neutral manner. I'd certainly like a bit more of without fear or favour but I accept this wasn't the way to go about it. Probably an ulterior motive of gunning for the leadership next year. 

9 minutes ago, whelk said:

Little surprised Batman hasn’t posted the fake audio of Sadiq Khan calling for Armistice Day to be delayed. AI and social media a colossal worry for how people will be manipulated 

Apparently Oscar The Grouch is banging Taylor Swift?

• Haha 2

Naive question, but what's left wing about protesting against war? And what's right wing about football hooligans? 

Seems like she has some pretty negative opinions on the right wing, despite her position in a right wing government. Perhaps she should be replaced by a home sec who fits in more with conservative values? She seems obsessed with wokery and I don't get why inclusivity has become a left wing thing in recent years. 

I suspect the tories would have a better chance if they didn't keep attacking the centre, most of whom believe in live and let live.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, pingpong said:

Naive question, but what's left wing about protesting against war? And what's right wing about football hooligans? 

Seems like she has some pretty negative opinions on the right wing, despite her position in a right wing government. Perhaps she should be replaced by a home sec who fits in more with conservative values? She seems obsessed with wokery and I don't get why inclusivity has become a left wing thing in recent years. 

I suspect the tories would have a better chance if they didn't keep attacking the centre, most of whom believe in live and let live.

Interesting listening to a pollster on The Newsagents yesterday talking about how Tories in danger of caricaturing the red wall and think it is all about Lee Anderson populist bs and mirroring US which is very different from UK.  Let’s see how it turns out for them

• Like 1

Starmer has issues too for balance with his front bench over Gaza but what a disgrace the Tory right wing is these days. As bad, even worse actually, than Momentum under Corbyn. If Sunak doesn’t start some mass expulsions, I don’t think they will be anywhere near power for generations.
A lot of these ‘five families’ are punch drunk on Brexit and following the Bannon playbook, if the British One Nation wing doesn’t take control straight away, this country is heading to hell in a handcart and even in 12 months before they get evicted in the GE, they can do some serious damage. A majority of 10-15 MPs is enough for Sunak to operate with https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/nov/10/rishi-sunak-faces-tory-civil-war-holds-off-sacking-suella-braverman

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, pingpong said:

Seems like she has some pretty negative opinions on the right wing, despite her position in a right wing government. 

If the Tory government is right wing, what does that make the right wing element of the Tory party?

3 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Starmer has issues too for balance with his front bench over Gaza but what a disgrace the Tory right wing is these days. 

If anyone has a visual chart to show the degrees of right wingness that would help....

23 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

If the Tory government is right wing, what does that make the right wing element of the Tory party?

If anyone has a visual chart to show the degrees of right wingness that would help....

As David Lidlington said ‘Colleagues who want to dictate who can and cannot protest might want to reflect on how they’d feel about a left wing government taking such actions’. Dictating to the police about who to arrest and when - that’s pretty much Argentina junta stuff and Rishi needs to kick circa 54 MPs out. Still enough of a working majority to get his programme through. 

That’s without the incredibly reckless and inflammatory language she uses when there’s already high tensions. Not fit for any kind of office. 

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Mad Nad on Laura K this morning (cos she has a book to promote), claiming that the criticism of Braverman is rooted solely in misogyny and sexism.

Nothing to do with her being an unhinged, inflammatory charlatan who is unfit for high office then.

Let's not pretend that the fact she's darker skinned isn't a factor for quite a number. 

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Let's not pretend that the fact she's darker skinned isn't a factor for quite a number. 

Quite possibly, although not in relation to the current issue I would suppose.

I imagine she must create a strange kind of cognitive dissonance in the minds of the knuckle dragging nationalists that she was so obviously trying to incite with her comments about yesterday's protest. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I imagine she must create a strange kind of cognitive dissonance in the minds of the knuckle dragging nationalists that she was so obviously trying to incite with her comments about yesterday's protest. 

There's a cognitive dissonance for the other side too which is why they call her a coconut or not of her ethnicity because she doesbt act the right way. Not that she's right but it's just as bad to expect a minority ethnicity to act as a group rather than an individual. 

On 09/11/2023 at 14:41, Fan The Flames said:

Surely the good people of Fareham can't keep voting for this vile MP.

Trust me they will ... the constituency is full of blue rinsers & would vote for a bag of shite if if it had a blue rosset on.

Speaking to my parents & inlaws & they wil still blindly vote Tory despite EVERYTHING they have done to ruin this country :mcinnes:

Edited by warsash saint
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, warsash saint said:

Trust me they will ... the constituency is full of blue rinsers & would vote for a bag of shite if if it had a blue rosset on.

Speaking to my parents & inlaws & they wil still blindly vote Tory despite EVERYTHING they have done to ruin this country :mcinnes:

Tories still predicted for the seat but a hell of a lot closer than previous years when it has been in the top 20 safe blue seats.

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/calcwork23.py?seat=Fareham and Waterlooville

3 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Given the level of diversity in the Commons I don’t think that the colour of her skin has anything to do with it. The issue with Braverman has everything to do with what comes out of her mouth and what she does. She comes across as just as vile as people like Farage. To try and suggest that she is hated by many because of her skin colour is beyond ridiculous and shows a complete lack of basic intelligence. Apparently only 16% of people polled think that she is doing a good job as HS. Are we to assume that the rest are all racists? Here’s a thought. Perhaps they think she is an awful HS because she is an awful HS, no matter what the colour of her skin?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Given the level of diversity in the Commons I don’t think that the colour of her skin has anything to do with it. The issue with Braverman has everything to do with what comes out of her mouth and what she does. She comes across as just as vile as people like Farage. To try and suggest that she is hated by many because of her skin colour is beyond ridiculous and shows a complete lack of basic intelligence. Apparently only 16% of people polled think that she is doing a good job as HS. Are we to assume that the rest are all racists? Here’s a thought. Perhaps they think she is an awful HS because she is an awful HS, no matter what the colour of her skin?

You didn’t like Pritti Patel either, what do they have in common?…….

43 minutes ago, benjii said:

David Cameron for Foreign Secretary?!?!

Unless there's going to be a massive reshuffle, it looks that way. He'd do wanders for our relationship with the EU! 

Edited by egg

2 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

At the party conference last month Sunak claimed that the Conservatives were the party of change. Vote Conservative for a change from the approach of the previous 30 years.....

And then he appoints Cameron as Foreign Secretary. 😁😁😁

Yep, but to be fair, who else did he have who could do it? Cleverly was safe but a bit wet, but probably would be ok at the home office. This just highlights how shit this crop of Tory MPs are. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

The man that enabled the Brexit referendum.

Considering the utter chaos he has caused in Westminster over the last 7 years with his hubristic, ill thought out 'plan' to resolve an internal party division, he should be locked in the Tower of London rather than elevated to the House of Lords.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/11/2023 at 10:04, harvey said:

What did she say that was incorrect?

Totally agree! Absolutely nothing! That's why she is still in a job and Rishi and the Tories are all fully supportive of everything she said recently.

She is the future of the Tory party it is a breath of fresh air, unlike the tired old crap of the Conservative party's recent past. Just be thankful we can't go back in time.

Now I'm just going to switch on the news to see what's happening in the world of politics today...

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

These people aren't conservatives.

Correct. 

Peter Hitchens has been saying for years, the biggest obstacle to a conservative UK is the Conservative party. Leaving that soft arsed remainer pinko Hunt in post & bringing back “Call me Dave” sums it up. There’s people in the Labour Party more conservative & less woke than this bunch and they’d probably want lower taxes.

It’s all just a big centrist blob, Sunak has more in common with Starmer than his membership & vice versa. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Sunak has more in common with Starmer than his membership & vice versa. 

Thank God for that. If nothing else the last few years have demonstrated that a shit show follows when parties (both Labour and Conservative) follow their members's instincts. 

Edited by Tamesaint
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Thank God for that. If nothing else the last few years have demonstrated that a shit show follows when parties (both Labour and Conservative) follow their members's instincts. 

I'd like to have a choice at an election though. Two parties who are mostly similar with a few differences around the culture war isn't going to be inspiring anyone. 

There is precedent for someone in the Lords being a cabinet minister - Mandelson, Morgan and most famously Lord Carrington - have all done it that I can think of.

Ex-PMs are far more unusual. Alec Douglas-Home served in the Heath cabinet early 1970s after being PM for 12 months in the early 60s when MacMillan was taken seriously ill but he hadn’t been PM for 6 years, leader of the opposition before that and in fact had had to stand for election in the HoC coming from the Lords. Hence the public surprise.

Will it work? Tactically I get it, Sunak wants to have a good run at limiting the damage in the GE (hence Braverman had to go) and there’s some very nasty and complex issues on the FCDO agenda. Cameron might help a bit with the SE/SW seats but the Red Wall group of Tory MPs eg Simon Clarke, Miriam Cates, Pru Leith’s lad, are predictably kicking off. I assume Rishi is trying to shore up their core vote as a southern/and/or rural party and perhaps write off some of the territory gained in 2019 and built on sporadically with the levelling up agenda. Other risks are that Truss and co jump on him around China with the hard right new Research Group, and I can’t imagine the ERG are thrilled to see him. Neither will Brussels, although at least they know him well and Rishi has already started taking the hardest edges off Brexit. 

Braverman is already threatening to add a further statement, could be interesting although not sure she’s got the 50odd MPs she thinks. 

We were thinking about painting a Greensill at home doing our renovations to an older property, but we will go for another option instead..

• Like 1