Russell Martin

LegalEagle

7 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

As I said earlier, Saints can just approach Swansea again when we are officially a championship.l club and pay the lesser amount.

I read somewhere that Swansea's point is that we effectively snared Martin whilst we were a Premier League club

2 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

And to think we gave them Nathan Dyer for £400k and he’s considered a legend there and a Premier League winner. 

I had to check that part, I completely forgot that he was a part of that. From robbing Pompey purses to winning the premier league, what a meteoric rise.

31 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I read somewhere that Swansea's point is that we effectively snared Martin whilst we were a Premier League club

I get that, like others have said it depends how the clause is written up I suppose.

I'd much rather the clubs met in thr middle on this one.

On 01/06/2023 at 20:48, SotonianWill said:

when you’re walking down stairs, at two stairs from the floor, you’re still going down the stairs. just because there is two stairs between you and the end destination dosent mean you’re not going down. 

Yes but you haven't gone down yet, have you?

15 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Yes but you haven't gone down yet, have you?

Halfway down the stairs
Is a stair
Where I sit.
There isn't any
Other stair
Quite like
It.
I'm not at the bottom,
I'm not at the top;
So this is the stair
Where
I always
Stop.

Halfway up the stairs
Isn't up
And isn't down.
It isn't in the nursery,
It isn't in the town.
And all sorts of funny thoughts
Run round my head:
"It isn't really
Anywhere!
It's somewhere else
Instead!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

I get that, like others have said it depends how the clause is written up I suppose.

I'd much rather the clubs met in thr middle on this one.

Which I'd say is fairly obviously what's being negotiated. Neither club wants this dragging on for another month but Swansea are quite obviously not going to just give up a chunk of cash without a fight. It'll be some sort of compromise, eventually.

• Like 2

If we’re after some prize assets too I can see their point to ne honest.  Massively. Arguing the toss about less than a mill feels like chicken feed. Especially given how much we have wasted on terrible decisions sin th least two years. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, revolution saint said:

I think it was Mick McCarthy who said that generally speaking clubs tend to finish according to the quality of the playing squad and, while managers have an influence, they're not that big a deal.  Obviously there's exceptions and really bad ones will mean you do much worse and really good ones could be the difference between promotion and staying where you are.  Seemed to make a lot of sense to me. 

The quality of the squad is obviously a big influence, but you cannot underestimate how important a manager is in getting the most out of them. Not just training, tactics, etc.,  but man management. God knows we've had plenty of piss poor ones, two this last season alone.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

The quality of the squad is obviously a big influence, but you cannot underestimate how important a manager is in getting the most out of them. Not just training, tactics, etc.,  but man management. God knows we've had plenty of piss poor ones, two this last season alone.

Or even three.

3 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

Exactly. Plus part of the managers job is to get the best squad possible.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DT said:

If we’re after some prize assets too I can see their point to ne honest.  Massively. Arguing the toss about less than a mill feels like chicken feed. Especially given how much we have wasted on terrible decisions sin th least two years. 

Maybe not so much chickenfeed for those in a redundancy situation at the moment.  That sort of money could easily pay the wages of at least 20 staff for the next year....

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

“Nothing beats a settled team” and we have never had that this season. Too much chopping and changing.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Maybe not so much chickenfeed for those in a redundancy situation at the moment.  That sort of money could easily pay the wages of at least 20 staff for the next year....

And Alex McCarthy's wages could pay the wages of 100 staff. Why not make McCarthy redundant instead? 

• Like 1

On 01/06/2023 at 17:17, Convict Colony said:

Patience is a virtue is more than 1 word bro.

Does that make me MLG?

I  don't know MLG well enough to express an opinion on that?..  but I might refer to Oxford  Advanced Learners Dictionary  that states; 

WATCHWORD ....  a word , or phrase  that expresses a belief, or attitude, or explains what something should be in a particular situation,"

(Don't mind me, I taught English to foreigners for 30 years), but  In case we've forgotten, my post was in agreement with those who had earlier, 

written on the subject of - those fans who go into panic mode after what they see as delays in signing new players - as soon as possible,

(which incidentally this year is not permitted until 14th June), and in our case may be a lot longer given present managerial discussions.

Experience over several decades has shown that the fee and payments terms between club and players, special terms, relegation clauses

signing-on payments and agents fees are just the top of the iceberg when faced with the player's requests, or demands.

Some historical deals  that didn't make it   included some of the following reasons;  the wife doesn't like the area,  was too far from London,   

no "night life " in So'ton  (some people might agree on that one), not the right sort of school for the children, no " free taxis " , (which was 

important for those who don't have a driving licence, or worse - are already banned for previous driving misdemeanors).

At the end of the day , getting a signature on the bottom of the page is a major success after negotiating the minefield of problems.

A lot of patience is required - on all sides.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

And to think we gave them Nathan Dyer for £400k and he’s considered a legend there and a Premier League winner. 

a lot of people have forgotten that one,  or weren't around to know about it,  and many didn't study history at school.

Prior to bankruptcy 2009, Saints were under the control of lawyers who had to balance the books to retain financial stability.

Dyer was not the only good player we " lost " just because we would get money in on the deal.   I think Surman (?) was also forcibly sold.

The 400k, (for Dyer) was way below his real value,  and Swansea got very good deal, as there were no other bidders at the time. 

In other circumstances, we would have got much more, as he was worth two or three times more than that paltry sum. 

His subsequent move to Leicester proved invaluable to them when they were on the rise to become Premier League winners.

• Like 4

Interesting as i didnt see it back in Oct but we were originally linked with Maresca back in October when we sacked Ralph.

I know all noises point to martin etc but what if the Maresca no was a placeholder until after the champions league final ? If City win the treble is there anything else he needs to learn from pep ?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11292527/Southampton-consider-Domenico-Tedesco-Manchester-City-assistant-manager-Enzo-Maresca.html

I'm hoping that because this deal is taking its time, that we have some other candidates on the shortlist too, and that maybe it's a smokescreen by the club 🤞 Russell Martin doesn't sound enough of an upgrade on Jones and Selles and would be yet another huge gamble! We were prepared to spend 20 million plus on a player why do we not ever seem to invest in a quality manager? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

Interesting as i didnt see it back in Oct but we were originally linked with Maresca back in October when we sacked Ralph.

I know all noises point to martin etc but what if the Maresca no was a placeholder until after the champions league final ? If City win the treble is there anything else he needs to learn from pep ?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11292527/Southampton-consider-Domenico-Tedesco-Manchester-City-assistant-manager-Enzo-Maresca.html

I have wondered the same about Maresca and the timing of all this.

His only time in the ‘top job’ though was at Parma and he was sacked. Always worry if it’s the old story of excellent assistant but not cutting it as manager or head coach (Brian Kidd syndrome).

• Like 1

Maresca looks to out perform Martin on the ‘Pep rating’ part of the matrix.

6D1EC013-2E5F-4B66-948C-4B40A215520F.jpeg.1343ebfa28ebc27ee6dab800463ac3ab.jpeg

On the bald head and beard anyway. Perhaps this is now part of the ‘photo-fit’ or clone manager we’re after. 

6 minutes ago, Badger said:

I have wondered the same about Maresca and the timing of all this.

His only time in the ‘top job’ though was at Parma and he was sacked. Always worry if it’s the old story of excellent assistant but not cutting it as manager or head coach (Brian Kidd syndrome).

Think it would help the DOF thinks like him as do the owners - seems like everyone would be aligned on the style of play etc

I can convince myself we are waiting for the Champs league final to be over and then announce it on the monday.

14 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Think it would help the DOF thinks like him as do the owners - seems like everyone would be aligned on the style of play etc

I can convince myself we are waiting for the Champs league final to be over and then announce it on the monday.

I thought that’s what the appointment of RM was about. 

Why are you hoping for Maresca ? 

6 minutes ago, Badger said:

I thought that’s what the appointment of RM was about. 

Why are you hoping for Maresca ? 

The comment was really to try and give an explanation about the Parma job he had, as looking at Italian clubs as a whole it seems rare owners and coaches are aligned so he could of been pissing into the wind at Parma.

Also I'm bored so just thinking of plausible alternatives and we have had a interest in him for a while. The fact that Wilcox knows him, apparently wanted him as well would suggest he's a ongoing option.

Martin has the experience in the championship

Maresca city DNA and relationship with Wilcox.

Both have pluses and minuses.

Either way I'm happy would hopefully like it sorted one way or another in the next week or so.

Edited by Convict Colony

On 03/06/2023 at 09:38, Nordic Saint said:

And Alex McCarthy's wages could pay the wages of 100 staff. Why not make McCarthy redundant instead? 

Because to make McCarthy redundant you would have to pay him the remainder of his contract?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Surman comes across well usually, although doesn’t really add to much new here. 

Shame he isn’t the summariser for Solent more often. 

I knew him before he was a footballer. Straight A student at school and incredibly intelligent. Has a lovely partner too. Great normal guy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

Martin has the experience in the championship

Maresca city DNA and relationship with Wilcox.

Both have pluses and minuses.

Either way I'm happy would hopefully like it sorted one way or another in the next week or so.

Good points on both.

Perhaps Wilcox and Rasmus are conferring with Paul Doswell before deciding 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I knew him before he was a footballer. Straight A student at school and incredibly intelligent. Has a lovely partner too. Great normal guy. 

I also went to school with him and used to watch him play for the school team and he looked pretty decent so not surprised he became a professional.

4 hours ago, Mr X said:

I'm hoping that because this deal is taking its time, that we have some other candidates on the shortlist too, and that maybe it's a smokescreen by the club 🤞 Russell Martin doesn't sound enough of an upgrade on Jones and Selles and would be yet another huge gamble! We were prepared to spend 20 million plus on a player why do we not ever seem to invest in a quality manager? 

Yeah definitely a smokescreen and genius to get Swansea in on the plot by pretending to look for a new manager. All to help out Saints who relegated them a few years ago.

As smokescreen's go its one of the smokiest I can remember.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Yeah definitely a smokescreen and genius to get Swansea in on the plot by pretending to look for a new manager. All to help out Saints who relegated them a few years ago.

As smokescreen's go its one of the smokiest I can remember.

Yeah, even the Man himself is on it.. Coming to staplewood abd agreeing terms etc.

He told Wilcox that it was great banter.

4 hours ago, Badger said:

Surman comes across well usually, although doesn’t really add to much new here. 

Shame he isn’t the summariser for Solent more often. 

Would agree Badger - though he does say on a number of occasions that he thinks RM will be a good appointment. He also makes the very salient point that there is not a lot of top, top quality out there who's prepared to come into the Championship. The issue of re-establishing identity also high on the list. As you say, an intelligent person who comes across very well. I feel comforted by players - particularly ex-Saints who still have a lot of time for the club - who have played with and been managed by the man we are considering appointing. No guarantees of course - there never are! - but this feels like it could have the makings of a re-establishing of Saints as a team and as a club.

Something else to highlight in Drew's comments - he referenced that RM has evolved year-on-year since he first knew him at Norwich. I think this is important. For those of us worried about the 'possession for possession's sake' issue - though I think that is somewhat lazy thinking - this clearly explains the latter stages of last season where Swansea went to a back four and won 8 of their last 9 or something along those lines. RM clearly adapts and evolves and Drew has noticed this.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Seriously - you think staff at the club don't have an employment contract.  That would be a massive scandal if they don't....

Fixed length playing contracts will probably be very different to month to month standard employment contracts.

For a start, month to month employment contract WONT have 40% reduction in wages after relegation.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Fixed length playing contracts will probably be very different to month to month standard employment contracts.

For a start, month to month employment contract WONT have 40% reduction in wages after relegation.

Agreed.  But that's very different than saying they 'won't have one'....