The Championship Thread - 2023/24

CSA96

18 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

So Leicester get Coady which only strengthens them further.

Leicester seem to be moving and get things ready for the season, but we do not seem to be doing much at all. I know it is only just July, but if you compare the two clubs, one looks a little more organised on paper. 

I know this may not matter a jot when the season starts, but I am worried about our lack of activity. But then again if nobody leaves, then even better! 

It does worry me that loads may leave last minute leaving a very depleted squad. 

Edited by Dr Who?

20 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

If we sold/let go the players that Leicester are selling and letting go this summer you'd be having a fucking fit and crying about firesales.

"Strengthens them further.." Jesus wept.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

If we sold/let go the players that Leicester are selling and letting go this summer you'd be having a fucking fit and crying about firesales.

"Strengthens them further.." Jesus wept.

Well that’s obvious. Notwithstanding the obvious players who will leave every relegated team not just leicester, I still stand by the point. Coady is a championship winning captain, and has played the last few seasons in the premier league. Surely you don’t believe he dosent enhance their defence?  

Edited by SotonianWill

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

However, looking at it another way, the three promoted teams were all top 5 after 15 games, so not that mind-blowing at all.

If you want to go up, try not to be shit at all.

Yeah on second viewing, not as mental as first thought. The person I saw post it was making the point their team (Huds) ended up finishing above QPR.

Though Forest year before were shite then Cooper got them into playoffs. 

If you want to go up automatically don’t be shit at all, playoffs may still have a chance.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

Leicester seem to be moving and get things ready for the season, but we do not seem to be doing much at all. I know it is only just July, but if you compare the two clubs, one looks a little more organised on paper. 

I know this may not matter a jot when the season starts, but I am worried about our lack of activity. But then again if nobody leaves, then even better! 

It does worry me that loads may leave last minute leaving a very depleted squad. 

For me Leicester have lost alot of first team players out of contract, They have already sold there best player on Maddison and look to lose Barnes to West ham too.

They have Vardy but he is nearer 40 than 30, If a club comes in for the there FBs or dewsbury Hall then it's not looking as rosy as you may think.

With us our squad is huge, We have alot more saleable assets too, and it looks like for now we will keep hold of some of them. 

I reckon atm, Leicester are probably wishing they were in our shoes. 

As has been said many times, The grass isn't always greener on the otherside. 

• Like 1

Ward;

Soutter, Coady, Faes;

Pereira, KDH, Ndidi, Thomas;

Barnes;

Vardy, Iheanacho.

That's Leicesters best team right now on paper and Winks doesn't even get in it.

I imagine Barnes is gone soon too, and there depth is absolutely laughable. - They only have Daka who is a threat and he looks poor too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Saw this earlier - this league is madness and why first 15 games don’t necessarily mean much.

IMG_9155.jpeg

Maybe we can see your point - in principle.. as QPR fell away badly and were lucky to avoid the drop to L1 .

BUT ... Burnley, Sheff. Utd and Luton (3, 4 and 5 on this table) were all promoted, whilst Blackburn and Millwall 

finished in 7th and 8th place - merely 1 point and a goal difference behind the play-off places.

Coventry (with 3 games in hand on this table) and West Brom. recovered well, and Swansea did finish in the top 10. 

Five teams between 6th and 10th were separated - by just  3 points.  A bad decision or, * VAR call might have made the difference.

A run of good form, or a lapse in continuity can mean the difference of half the league by the end of the season.

There are quite a lot of  "good teams " at this level, but few who are good enough to stay in the Prem.  if promoted.

Personally, I never take a serious look at League tables inside the first 7-8 games, and several other Prem. sides who

started poorly might have been relegated last season - if we hadn't been quite SO bad. 

* Yes ...I know there is no VAR in the Championship.

10 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

Not wanted by Wolves, loaned to Everton who nearly got relegated and dropped him. Not terribly upset about missing out on him.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dr Who? said:

Allowing a £40m talent like Tielmans walk on a free does not strike me as being very organised.

Unlike Leicester who have lost a lot of players that are out of contract, we have to wait until clubs buy ours before we can replace them. 

what do you suggest we do differently?

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, igsey said:

Not wanted by Wolves, loaned to Everton who nearly got relegated and dropped him. Not terribly upset about missing out on him.

On the assumption that we sell ABK and Salisu, Coady would have been a massive upgrade on our remaining CB's. Good signing by Leicester. 

27 minutes ago, igsey said:

He is miles better than Lyanco, Stephens and anyone else likely to not be sold.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Saint-Reece said:

I am guessing Leicester are the “I wish we were X” this summer… so far? 

See also Norwich City c.2013 upon signing Ricky Van Wolfswinkel. 

Not sure how you get to that from a few people saying they'd have liked to have seen us sign Coady. 

2 hours ago, egg said:

On the assumption that we sell ABK and Salisu, Coady would have been a massive upgrade on our remaining CB's. Good signing by Leicester. 

Yes and no… he’s a good solid, experienced CB but you effectively have to play him in a back 5

I would have liked to have him around the place almost certainly but there’s no point in moving for him before we know the shape of our back 4 over the next couple of weeks

If either Salisu or ABK stay then signing Coady would have likely been slightly redundant 

3 hours ago, Chez said:

Allowing a £40m talent like Tielmans walk on a free does not strike me as being very organised.

Unlike Leicester who have lost a lot of players that are out of contract, we have to wait until clubs buy ours before we can replace them. 

what do you suggest we do differently?

Not concerned if we manage to hold on to our players, we will be in a strong position as I said. If we end up losing quite a few closer to the start of the season then we will be starting behind. But unfortunately, like the club I do not have a Time Machine. Hindsight will be the wonderful thing. 

2 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

I don’t wish we were Leicester I just think that Coady is a very good signing. 

He's past his best and has clearly been concluded not good enough by two teams and managers in the last 12 months. Doubts about his abilities to play in a 2 suggest fitness concerns too. He's also been given a 3 year deal so there's a massive chance that in those 3 years he becomes a burden on their wage bill for little return. Good signing for how long? 6 months? A season? Do you think he plays 46 games? If they get promoted will they want him next season? Maybe he's decent for off the field stuff and maybe he leads them to promotion and it's all worth it but that seems like some big maybes and big risks.

Not sure we should be aspiring to be a club that is into signing players who are past their best, will only be declining and is likely to be on big wages that will become a burden within the life time of their contract. 

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

He's past his best and has clearly been concluded not good enough by two teams and managers in the last 12 months. Doubts about his abilities to play in a 2 suggest fitness concerns too. He's also been given a 3 year deal so there's a massive chance that in those 3 years he becomes a burden on their wage bill for little return. Good signing for how long? 6 months? A season? Do you think he plays 46 games? If they get promoted will they want him next season? Maybe he's decent for off the field stuff and maybe he leads them to promotion and it's all worth it but that seems like some big maybes and big risks.

Not sure we should be aspiring to be a club that is into signing players who are past their best, will only be declining and is likely to be on big wages that will become a burden within the life time of their contract. 

You're judging him as a PL player. We're a championship club, as are Leicester. Coady will be superb at this level - far better than Lyanco and Stephens. 

51 minutes ago, egg said:

You're judging him as a PL player. We're a championship club, as are Leicester. Coady will be superb at this level - far better than Lyanco and Stephens. 

I'm judging him as a player whose fitness has seemingly been a concern and a player who isn't going to get any better. That is at any level. If we're all agreeing he's not good enough for the PL but also agreeing we want to be back in the Prem next season then what's the point in matching Leicesters offer of a 3 year deal? I also don't think Lyanco and Stephens should be anywhere near our squad next season either fwiw. 

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

On the Coady debate - apparently he wanted to stay in the Midlands/North so I think if we were in for him, any enquiry via his agent would have been met with a swift no.

yeah he has a kid in liverpool i thought hence wanting to stay up north

Coady is a solid signing, but they could lose Evans. Faes is a liability as well - was it the two ogs in one game last season?

Goals make the difference in this league and atm Leicester have much better striking options than us

Edited by woodsaint1

12 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Coady is a solid signing, but they could lose Evans. Faes is a liability as well - was it the two ogs in one game last season?

Goals make the difference in this league and atm Leicester have much better striking options than us

Daka and Iheanacho will be a really competitive pairing in this league. 

11 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Interesting. A sensible signing for Forest at that price. That and the Daka links (both of which I was unaware of) would explain the Piroe interest then.

Edited by Mr Nimbus

6 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Good news and a good deal for Forest.  Price seems a bit low but just checked and he's only got a year left on his contract.  

Not sure about that… based on his performances this year they’ve been mugged right off. He has looked as bad as Adam Armstrong. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

Not sure about that… based on his performances this year they’ve been mugged right off. He has looked as bad as Adam Armstrong. 

Player of the year for them wasn’t he? To be fair I haven’t seen much of him this season but he’s a proven PL goal scorer so 8M seems pretty cheap. He’s much better than Adam Armstrong. 

19 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

At one point, about 2 and a bit years ago, he looked like a world beater.  Also had his moments at City.  But clearly has struggled to perform consistantly.

Yeah, in the 20/21 season he was on fire, scoring 12 Prem goals. He looked a terrific player and the sky was the limit. The last two seasons though he has been poor, missing simple chances as we witnessed at SMS. 

£8m isn't a lot. Puts into perspective Che's value.

16 minutes ago, Chez said:

Yeah, in the 20/21 season he was on fire, scoring 12 Prem goals. He looked a terrific player and the sky was the limit. The last two seasons though he has been poor, missing simple chances as we witnessed at SMS. 

£8m isn't a lot. Puts into perspective Che's value.

To be honest its again backing up what Ive been saying in the great ‘I wish we were Leicester’ debate… Iheanacho is worth more than that, but Leicester are desperately trying to trim a wage bill pushing them further into the red and are having to cut adrift players that ‘could’ make a difference at cut price deals

5 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

To be honest its again backing up what Ive been saying in the great ‘I wish we were Leicester’ debate… Iheanacho is worth more than that, but Leicester are desperately trying to trim a wage bill pushing them further into the red and are having to cut adrift players that ‘could’ make a difference at cut price deals

Sure, and he may not have a sizeable cut in wages based on relegation, so they may have been desperate to get him off their wage bill. 

• Like 2

Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds absolute laughing stocks for leaving their managerial appointments this late into pre season.

At least we can write off their promotion hopes immediately, can't we?

Edited by CB Fry
  • Haha 3