Sheffield Weds 1-2 Saints - Match Thread

Yorkshire Saint

As Yorkshire Saint I feel an obligation to start this one...

No idea what the team might be but purchased my tickets today and it looks like we have a good following judging by the number of remaining tickets which is a good effort for a Friday night. 

Anyone going to be in Sheffield before and afterwards for a pint. If so where ? 

3-1 Southampton 

• Like 2

I’ve resorted to getting a ticket in the home stand with an Owls supporting ex-work colleague (£47!)…travelling up on the Thursday evening and coming back Saturday.  It’s a ground I’ve always wanted to visit for the historical value. I’m just going to need to forego colours, sit on my hands during the game and stay politely quiet (should be easy as we like losing our opening games right?).

37 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Got my ticket this morning, first time visiting Hillsborough. Any tips on parking and pre match pubs?

Members sale this morning and lite members this afternoon. Looks on course for a sell out?

Generally if driving go up past Sheffield to junction 36 of the M1 and come back down on the A61. Feels like you will have gone out of your way, but better than driving through the centre of Sheffield. There is a reasonable amount of parking around the ground, or at least there was. Or you could park at Meadowhall for free - just off the M1 - and get the tram that will take you almost to the away entrance.

• Like 4

I think we will put out 11 players, and have substitutes on the bench. As for the match, there are 3 possibilities, we score an equal number of goals or neither team score (draw), alternatively one team scores a higher amount of goals than the other (win for the team that scores the higher number). At this stage I cannot refine my prediction further. I don't think I'll be disappointed in the result as I am not anticipating anything at all. 

Gutted it has sold out, even as a member I've missed it by about twenty minutes, I didn't anticipate I needed to be that efficient for a TV away game in August with a big allocation. Sheesh.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Gutted it has sold out, even as a member I've missed it by about twenty minutes, I didn't anticipate I needed to be that efficient for a TV away game in August with a big allocation. Sheesh.

Same, I missed out through not being able to switch accounts on 'family' to the one with a season ticket 🤦‍♂️. Hopefully they give us more tickets as we've taken 2,400 when i've just typed up it holds around 3,700. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Crazy that, 

A) phenomenal effort if we'd sold out 2400 already for a Friday night up there 

B) surely they can release some more, that end holds loads more they gave Plymouth something like 3700 last season, we'd shift another few hundred easily between now and the game 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kenilworthy said:

I predict we will look good and dominate the game. And Sheffield Wednesday will win 1-0 through a stupid goal.

Maybe the keeper will go up in the last minute and score, lightening doesn’t strike twice right?  Sadly I can’t make it which is annoying hopefully for those that do it will be better than the 2007 game when we could have played to the end of time and still not scored!

• Lighthouse changed the title to Sheffield Wednesday Away - Friday 4th 8pm
24 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

This is going to be such an easy win. Last time we went top of the league playing on Friday night it only lasted a day, as the rest of the weekend fixtures played out. This time our GD will keep us comfortably top come Sunday night.

You said that for the clicks! 

Think I read recently that we have the biggest squad in the division and Sheffield Wednesday have the smallest. That doesn't mean much but if we can't find 11 players to beat them then it's very worrying for our season. However we should still have some big names by then that could be sold closer to deadline day so we should have enough to beat them. But it is still tricky to predict right now even with 2 and a bit weeks to go.

2 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Think I read recently that we have the biggest squad in the division and Sheffield Wednesday have the smallest. That doesn't mean much but if we can't find 11 players to beat them then it's very worrying for our season. However we should still have some big names by then that could be sold closer to deadline day so we should have enough to beat them. But it is still tricky to predict right now even with 2 and a bit weeks to go.

It will be a full house with a cup tie atmosphere and a team that won promotion in an extraordinary way. It will be a real test but a good learning curve!

Going to be a bit weird as will be sitting with my Wednesday supporting friend in a home stand…I’ve not done that since the mid-70’s when me and a mate had a dare to stand in the middle of the home end at Farton Park, with our Saints shirts and scarfs safely tucked away inside our coats! We were just 15 so pretty intimidating for the both of us and to be honest I didn’t enjoy the game and couldn’t wait to get out of the sh*thole! 🤮

Think the Wednesday game will be a whole lot different in terms of atmosphere, but I’ll be very respectful even so for my friends sake.  I’m not so sure we’ll be dealing out anything like a drubbing…I reckon they’ll be right up for it and of course the TV cameras will be there to record a ‘giant killing’ performance.

On paper we should be favourites for this but this is a team that has forgotten how to create chances and still has a mistake or two in its defence. Hoping that the last couple of friendlies help us fix at least the chance creating part of things.

21 hours ago, goodymatt said:

When Saints announced the ticket details they said they had taken the ‘maximum allocation of 2,400’. No idea why the lower tier isn’t available to us. 

It's a good point, even with restricted capacity the lower tier holds 1300, just going to be left empty when we could take quite a bit of it, just a waste. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, coalman said:

On paper we should be favourites for this but this is a team that has forgotten how to create chances and still has a mistake or two in its defence. Hoping that the last couple of friendlies help us fix at least the chance creating part of things.

Many times in the past 50 years I have expected we would beat Sheff Wednesday but unfortunately we did not so I would be happy with a draw

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, JRM said:

It's a good point, even with restricted capacity the lower tier holds 1300, just going to be left empty when we could take quite a bit of it, just a waste. 

Weren't there some restrictions put in place at Hillsborough after the hoo-hah with Newcastle fans earlier this year?

3 hours ago, coalman said:

Not helped by the fact that nobody has a clue which eleven players will still be on our books to start the match. Dean Hammond is still pretty keen on Saints, maybe we can get him up to match fitness in time?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, SambaMaverick said:

Weren't there some restrictions put in place at Hillsborough after the hoo-hah with Newcastle fans earlier this year?

There were but upper tier was limited to 2400 (leaving loads of empty seats so despite a "sell out" it certainly won't look full)

Lower tier restricted to 1300 , they let Plymouth have it last season , not sure why we don't  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-64943981

• Like 1

I last went to Hillsboro in 1984 for our FA cup quarter final - a 0-0 draw and we won the replay as you will all know. Went with travel club coach and was not a bad journey though the game was meh. 

I’d be quite happy to see similar result tbh. Promoted teams are always feisty early doors at home though, especially as it will be full house 40,000+ there again I would imagine. 

On 19/07/2023 at 11:04, Yorkshire Saint said:

As Yorkshire Saint I feel an obligation to start this one...

No idea what the team might be but purchased my tickets today and it looks like we have a good following judging by the number of remaining tickets which is a good effort for a Friday night. 

Anyone going to be in Sheffield before and afterwards for a pint. If so where ? 

3-1 Southampton 

I'm sure you are aware of Northern Saints, who are one of the regional supporter groups with links to the club. I am a member living in Darlington and my daughter and I will be among 48 members of the group who will attending the match. Some of these will be meeting beforehand for drinks locally. No decision has been made yet about where everyone will meet but do get in touch with the group to find out. Northern Saints is on Google Groups but also has a Facebook group.

On 19/07/2023 at 13:46, Kenilworthy said:

Generally if driving go up past Sheffield to junction 36 of the M1 and come back down on the A61. Feels like you will have gone out of your way, but better than driving through the centre of Sheffield. There is a reasonable amount of parking around the ground, or at least there was. Or you could park at Meadowhall for free - just off the M1 - and get the tram that will take you almost to the away entrance.

Spot on!! Last time I went to Hillsborough I think I found somewhere to park along Middlewood Road and I notice there is a park and ride along there.

On 21/07/2023 at 16:47, Sarisbury Saint said:

Saints coach travel has sold out and train’s won’t run that late. Any ideas how 4 lads can get to and from the game ?

I would recommend staying over the night. Sheffield has got plenty of places to stay without breaking the bank!! The big challenge is likely to be the industrial action that is affecting train travel that week. You may be better travelling by coach from London on Thursday or Friday and returning by coach on the Saturday... Or hitch a lift or see if someone else on here can give you a lift!! You probably ought to identify where you are travelling from for this.

You are probably best to go to the section of the forum which specifically addresses away travel too!!

My Prediction: Sheff Wed 1-2 Saints - goals for Alcaraz and Tella

Edited by SaintJackoInHurworth
Forgot my prediction of result!!
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, gio1saints said:

I last went to Hillsboro in 1984 for our FA cup quarter final - a 0-0 draw and we won the replay as you will all know. Went with travel club coach and was not a bad journey though the game was meh. 

I’d be quite happy to see similar result tbh. Promoted teams are always feisty early doors at home though, especially as it will be full house 40,000+ there again I would imagine. 

You did better than us in 1984. Took forever to get past Winchester (usual Hockley Lights nightmare) and long slow trek in and particularly out of Sheffield. But there was around 10,000 of us hitting town that day (live on TV then too).

And these days the capacity is under 35k - being first game back up, and full away support, I believe they're still expecting a crowd of under 30k. Around half of our tickets went on the first day of restricted sale so just a shame we couldn't have got more tickets, guess they're holding back the lower tier for home fans in the hope they suddenly get a surge in sales.

I would recommend staying over the night. Sheffield has got plenty of places to stay without breaking the bank!! The big challenge is likely to be the industrial action that is affecting train travel that week. You may be better travelling by coach from London on Thursday or Friday and returning by coach on the Saturday... Or hitch a lift or see if someone else on here can give you a lift!! You probably ought to identify where you are travelling from for this.

I have hotel booked in Sheffield for Friday night so driving up with mates . Going to stop off in Brum on the way home on Saturday and watch Eastleigh play Solihull .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sad saints fan said:

I have hotel booked in Sheffield for Friday night so driving up with mates . Going to stop off in Brum on the way home on Saturday and watch Eastleigh play Solihull .

Do you work in logistics? Great itinerary ! 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Sheffield Weds vs Saints - Match Thread
  • Jimmy_D changed the title to Sheffield Weds 1-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse pinned this topic
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic