Danny Rohl

Dman

Probably worthy of a thread.

Once touted as the conduit behind the players and Ralph, some even said 'the brains behind Ralph'. After leaving us he went on to assist, with varying success at Munich and the German national team.    

Now looks set to take his first step into management with Sheff Weds (for me, a bit of a daft decision on his behalf - much like Selles to Reading was). 

A good coach doesn't always make a good manager, so if he'll be a success or another Selles, its yet to be seen. 

Personally, whilst a huge gamble, I wouldn't have been too against us taking a punt on him at the start of the window. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, CSA96 said:

Surprised he took that job, tbh - obviously backs himself but working for Chansiri can't be that appealing

Could see it as no lose, if they continue to be terrible he has an excuse, if they show any signs of life he can take credit for it and use it to look for another job in the division.

Holy crap, one day a thread might start without it ending up being about RM.

Rohl seemed to do a very good job for us, Ralph definitely looked lost without him.  Wednesday shot themselves by allowing Moore to leave.  Good luck Danny, you're going to need it.

7 hours ago, Dman said:

A good coach doesn't always make a good manager, so if he'll be a success or another Selles, its yet to be seen. 

Personally, whilst a huge gamble, I wouldn't have been too against us taking a punt on him at the start of the window. 

I have wondered this myself, but as you say a huge risk with no managerial experience behind him. Strangely I think he'd have had the support of the fans at the outset having been linked to the early success of RH in keeping us up, and not being saddled by the 'mid-table' expectation of RM.

But lets be honest, his six months (if it was that) with us isn't a great reason to appoint, and his record at Bayern as I understood it was as one of Flick's assistants, then his time with the national team wasn't a great success at the WC. 

Hope it works out for him at Sheff Weds if he ends up going there, but wasn't there a bit of a cloud over his departure and reasons for it, or was that just one posters rumour at the time ?

• Like 1

I wish him well there, unless they’re playing us of course. He’s certainly got a lot of work to do, but they can really only go upwards at the moment and not get too much worse. The big issue for him will be drilling his system into a squad that’s not really good enough to implement it.  But like Martin at Saints then I suppose. 🧐😜🤣

• 5 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Not going so well for him at Wednesday so far. After finally getting his first win against local rivals Rotherham last week, they lost 0-4 at home to Millwall today which, given how toothless they looked when we played them last week, is a terrible result.

New manager bounce for Millwall, Joe Edwards

• 1 month later...

Doing very well with a poor squad now. I don't think he was the complete brains behind ralph but I do think ralph needed him for the parts of management he wasn't so good at. Putting an arm around the players and a few other things. Just reading between the lines, not stating as fact.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
48 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

We spent what 15m getting rid of the last 2 and some think we will sack Russ after getting us in Play offs?

Plus the club driving a style of play shift that is almost the entire opposite of Rohl/Ralph.

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Russell or Danny?

On 09/10/2023 at 16:22, notnowcato said:

Holy crap, one day a thread might start without it ending up being about RM.

Take your own advice Pal 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Seems a fair question to me, rather than an opportunity for top innernetz passive aggression.  

It was not a relevant question and it got a perfectly reasonable reply IMHO

Back on topic, I would have Rohl and Cooper top of my shortlist should a change be needed. I’d also have Potter there but I appreciate that’s entirely unrealistic 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Chewy said:

It was not a relevant question and it got a perfectly reasonable reply IMHO

Back on topic, I would have Rohl and Cooper top of my shortlist should a change be needed. I’d also have Potter there but I appreciate that’s entirely unrealistic 

What’s irrelevant about 2 managers (1 being the topic and the other being our manager) taking similar tasks with relatively similar outcomes, laced with a smattering of humour?

Anyway, I’m dying to know who else is on your entirely unrealistic list of managers for a position that will in all likelihood not require filling. So much more interesting than this topic. 

1 minute ago, notnowcato said:

What’s irrelevant about 2 managers (1 being the topic and the other being our manager) taking similar tasks with relatively similar outcomes, laced with a smattering of humour?

Anyway, I’m dying to know who else is on your entirely unrealistic list of managers for a position that will in all likelihood not require filling. So much more interesting than this topic. 

There's another thread discussing what a brilliant job Russell has done (spoiler, universially agreed that he's a busted flush), this one and posts in this one, are clearly directed at the subject of the thread - but you know that. 

Like you said, one day a thread might start without it ending up about RM.. Lets leave it there shall we. 

• Like 3

On 11/11/2023 at 18:22, VectisSaint said:

New manager bounce for Millwall, Joe Edwards

Benefit of hindsight and all... but this didn't last vey well. 

Wonder who made the worst appointment, Millwall or Plymouth. 

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

Benefit of hindsight and all... but this didn't last vey well. 

Wonder who made the worst appointment, Millwall or Plymouth. 

surely brum and rooney win that title 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dman said:

surely brum and rooney win that title 

Probably, fair point. 

Although I think their issues have been worsened by Mowbray having to go off on health grounds. They should have stuck with Eustace though. 

1 hour ago, notnowcato said:

You’re like a fucking broken record.  Weird.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

I assume you mean scratched and not broken record.  HTH.

"You're like a broken record" is a common phrase that has been in regular use for fifty plus years, with a widely accepted meaning of "someone that repeats the same thing over and over again". HTH.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

"You're like a broken record" is a common phrase that has been in regular use for fifty plus years, with a widely accepted meaning of "someone that repeats the same thing over and over again". HTH.

Indeed.... it's almost as if idioms shouldn't be taken literally.... :)

• Haha 1

Make your mind up lads. I thought it was essential to have a manager who is experienced and has won promotion from the Championship and/or managed at PL level?

(Rohl definitely done well at Sheff Wed - playing style is similar to what we have totally moved away from though)

• Like 2

Sure, let’s get Rohl in to get us promoted because he’s had a few good weeks at Sheffield Wednesday. He’s definitely the man for us let’s not look at an experienced head that’s done it before.

• Like 1

I look back with affection at the days of Ralph's high press. The way after 70 minutes, Shane Long or someone would go down so that everyone could get an energy boost to keep them going, how occasionally we'd be found out and the lobs over the top would lead to a 9-0 drubbing only to bounce back again. And when you think of the crap in that team. It's no surprise Rohl has done a great job at Wednesday, even Selles has a cult following at Reading. That style of football is much more fun to watch if you have the players.

So, yes, I'd have Rohl at Southampton in a flash. Our current squad is better than last year's squad (even being short of a goalkeeper and striker). Rohl would have got this team automatically promoted.

But it's all too hypothetical. RM is going nowhere.

• Like 1

Ruben Selles has taken over at an even more badly run club and comfortably kept them up.

Marti Cifuentes at QPR has been very impressive since he took over, reckon he might have a few suitors at the end of the season.

Rohl has done well, fair play to him.

• Like 2