Saints 1-0 Bristol City - Match Thread

Lighthouse

6 minutes ago, egg said:

I wander if he's under a bit of pressure from within. Huddersfield was a shocker, Preston a late/lucky draw, and everything around it has been turgid and uncomfortable. Our form is brilliant points wise, but it's uncomfortable/squeeky bum viewing. 

Agreed. He obviously went into that interview in a bit of a filthy mood about something. Very odd, as Adam Blackmore was nothing but complementary and Martin just seemed like he fancied an argument. As I said before, very strange as imo hes usually very good in front of a camera, win lose or draw.

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 1

We ground out another victory tonight. The one thing I like to see is us become more ruthless and score more. The win and clean sheet is the most important. And what a goal from KWP to win the game for us - pure class :) Bazanu was brilliant tonight, he made two top saves in the first half - my MOTM. Strong performances from Harwood-Bellis, Downes, Charles and Alcaraz too :)Hoping Sulemana is all ok. Onto Saturday now - COYR :)

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

My only other thought was he's reading this forum. Clearly criticism from somewhere has got to him

I think he is for some reason as well

I like RM but I don’t think he’s quite understood the jump in expectations he’s taken from MK/Swansea to here. I’m delighted to keep grinding out wins but I do understand the fans viewpoint who are still sceptical, which seems bonkers to say on a 10 game unbeaten streak

• Like 1

That game was a bit desperate and bloody cold, but a win is a win. Great goal from KWP, we are really going to struggle to keep him. He really is a cut above.

Bazunu kept us in that game in the first half. That's his job but still good to see.

Take the points and improve for the next game. A 10 match unbeaten run is quality form in any book. Other teams will be worrying about playing Saints more than we are them.

I guess RM is frustrated that his team isn't winning more convincingly. He should also be worried that his tactics are being too easily stifled by other teams.

He has to find a way of getting the team to move through the gears more quickly.

Cardiff, Watford and Coventry, and Blackburn up next. If they can keep the unbeaten run going (more wins than draws obviously), then maybe they'll be a bit more self belief around.

• Like 3

Like a lot of home games this season, the reaction at half time from the crowd said it all. First half was yet again slow and ponderous with little to get exicited about. The goal came from absolutely nothing and was truly the only bit of quality all game. I don't know if it was the half time reaction that got Martin wound up, but we are on a 10 game unbeaten run, yet it feels like pulling teeth watching us right now.

• Like 6

We keep on and keep on going undefeated, yet people moan about us picking up points in what's supposedly the wrong way.

Get back under your rocks until you can gleefully gloat about how right you were after we next lose. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, ant said:

We keep on and keep on going undefeated, yet people moan about us picking up points in what's supposedly the wrong way.

Get back under your rocks until you can gleefully gloat about how right you were after we next lose. 🙄

Don't get me wrong, am happy we won and undefeated, but fuck me it was a shit game to watch. 

• Like 5

Just now, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Don't get me wrong, am happy we won and undefeated, but fuck me it was a shit game to watch. 

Yet we'll wake up tomorrow morning 3 points better off.

No, a trip to St. Mary's doesn't necessarily mean guaranteed blockbuster entertainment right now. But it is meaning pragmatic results.

Does anybody truly remember whether second division teams are entertaining or not?

If Martin can get us out of this league, I'm to be convinced the manner of it is important

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I’m delighted to keep grinding out wins but I do understand the fans viewpoint who are still sceptical, which seems bonkers to say on a 10 game unbeaten streak

To be fair I think that's why he was cranky. To be in a 10-game unbeaten streak, having one 7 of those, without ever playing consistently at your best could definitely be seen as a positive but the fanbase is very jaded.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

Weird interview. I don’t mind if a manager gets tetchy if the questioning is a bit off, but Blackmore’s questions were fine.

I’m not a big fan of Blackmore, but Lego has made a right twat of himself self there. 

I also wish he’d stop with the Noddy clapping at the end. Just fucking shake hands and fuck off down the tunnel like you do when we lose. Save the Klopp impression till you’ve done something important in the game. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, ant said:

Yet we'll wake up tomorrow morning 3 points better off.

No, a trip to St. Mary's doesn't necessarily mean guaranteed blockbuster entertainment right now. But it is meaning pragmatic results.

Does anybody truly remember whether second division teams are entertaining or not?

If Martin can get us out of this league, I'm to be convinced the manner of it is important

I genuinely enjoyed Adkin’s football when we went up last yes. 

I am very content to keep winning now though, it’s a welcome change. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, egg said:

We won't. The style is dire, and we're scraping wins. Don't get me wrong, I'll take the 3 points gladly, but by god this football makes watching a Puel team feel like watching prime Barcelona. 

agree with this. Little about patterns of play/style is the primary factor for our form. We rely on individual brilliance.

The football is crap, yet we are up there purely due to the quality of the squad - ie, martin is NOT getting the best out of this lot what so ever. 

Nothing what so ever is changing my mind that Martin (wont) will get us top 2, or even promoted. We have WBA, Ipswich, Leicester and Leeds (last day of the season) away. No chance does this flat-track bully form continue at their grounds

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 9

8 hours ago, The Cat said:

There was a cross from Adam Armstrong near the end of the first half which flew straight across the 6 yard box which is the type you'd hope he'd get on the end of. 

Adams meanwhile stood there on his heels with zero anticipation and watched as the ball went to the exact place he should have been moving to.

He was too busy jogging slowly to the penalty spot.

It’s a long season. Grinding out wins in October and November is the basis of a successful season. Long may it continue. 

We dominated the second half, we know there is still room for improvement even though bit by bit we have been improving with this squad. 

Bag the 3 points, move on to the next game. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, notnowcato said:

It’s a long season. Grinding out wins in October and November is the basis of a successful season. Long may it continue. 

We dominated the second half, we know there is still room for improvement even though bit by bit we have been improving with this squad. 

Morning Russell.  Good to see you are feeling better today.

• Haha 7

We could easily have been 2, maybe 3, down at the break, yep we picked up and thankfully scored early which killed their game plan and you can't complain about another 3 point. But I want to feel the joy but watching us most games it's Puel levels of excitement and certainly not the way most of envisaged us performing in this league, particularly with the funds for players at our disposal. Shipping out Adams and getting in another (injury free/proven) striker is now a priority as it's beginning to look like we're not going to be able to rely on Ross Stewart turn out every week.

• Like 1

I think I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on that interview. It's exhausting watching us only have a 1 goal lead all the time.

Very odd reaction, but he clearly knows, as well as we do, that our squad should be winning much more comfortably (in terms of goals) than we are. 

We should have had them dead and buried in the last 10 minutes as they were clearly knackered and giving away easy possession high up the pitch.

Was the midfield that made the difference between the two halves for me. We seemed to always get overrun in the middle in the first half, but Flynn and Alcaraz were constantly breaking the lines in the second. Final ball just a little lacking.

On the plus side, 10 games unbeaten, no longer letting in goals for fun, and long may it continue.

• Like 2

Whatever.  We won.  

RM is a human being and who hasn't had a bad day and snapped at something they shouldn't have.

He did over react in the interview but who knows what went on before to put him on edge like that.

Based on what we've seen before its not his normal way of operating.

Who cares.  We won.

• Like 5

Good result but another underwhelming performance. I just wish we would go at these sides and attack straight from kick off instead of this laborious slow build up style which doesn't seem to frighten the opposition at all, in fact imo it does the opposite as it really does not offer much threat at all.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Saint Billy said:

Good result but another underwhelming performance. I just wish we would go at these sides and attack straight from kick off instead of this laborious slow build up style which doesn't seem to frighten the opposition at all, in fact imo it does the opposite as it really does not offer much threat at all.

Lets be honest, Bristol City were an ok side but had absolutely nothing about them (apart from us giving them a couple of chances) We could've easily gone at them a bit more, taken more risks and possibly had a couple more goals.  

• Like 1

Keep reading we could have been 2 down at half time, but we really should have been 1-0 up before that when Sulemana got through and shot weakly straight at the keeper.

If that goes in the whole game is different, but as normal his shooting was abysmal. This guy should be tearing up this league but is unbelievably frustrating to watch.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Like a lot of home games this season, the reaction at half time from the crowd said it all. First half was yet again slow and ponderous with little to get exicited about. The goal came from absolutely nothing and was truly the only bit of quality all game. I don't know if it was the half time reaction that got Martin wound up, but we are on a 10 game unbeaten run, yet it feels like pulling teeth watching us right now.

It was a poor game overall, cold weather, but our fans also just seem so miserable. Hardly any atmosphere at the game just moaning and groaning at the passing around . 

Martin interview was weird, maybe he's seen Goztepe change their manager and feels under pressure. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Keep reading we could have been 2 down at half time, but we really should have been 1-0 up before that when Sulemana got through and shot weakly straight at the keeper.

If that goes in the whole game is different, but as normal his shooting was abysmal. This guy should be tearing up this league but is unbelievably frustrating to watch.

Agree I always think Sulemana is holding himself back, not playing his natural game. Looked in discomfort going off so reckon we won't see him for a few weeks now. 

Armstrong also had a couple of decent chances. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

We are on a 10 game unbeaten run and I'm still left underwhelmed by us, which on the face of it is weird but I genuinely haven't come away from one game this season where I thought - bloody hell that was brilliant, we played them off the park. 

Agreed, although the games against Leeds and WBA were at least encouraging.

Both those teams are at a similar level to Saints and didn't sit back. That gave more room for forwards to attack. However the threat to our defence was also a lot more intense.

At the moment our Prem standard players are winning us games with moments of skill. However that cannot be relied on to continue. Teams will find a way to stifle that threat.

However bottom line is that 10 games unbeaten has to be celebrated. Incrementally Saints are making progress on their rivals.

The league is taking form now and there are 5 teams slugging it out for promotion. A lot will change as they play each other.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Hmmm. Not so sure about that. Can't see that we'd change from slow, painful build up if we are 1 up after 10 mins, just like when we were 1 up after 47.

The opposition then have to attack more and commit extra players forward which creates gaps in the midfield for our players to exploit, as in the second half when Alcaraz was excellent.

First half while it was 0-0 they packed the midfield and there was no space for us to pass through.

We didn't go direct at times like we have in parts of other games because they had huge defenders and we have no height up front. Therefore we ended up passing it around in front of their midfield wall trying to draw them out.

To their credit they were very well organised in defence and did what they wanted to do perfectly until Walker Peters scored.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, saints-til-i-die said:

RM has another Jones style strop. This isn’t the first time. I hope he’s not like this with the players. It’s all very odd and a bit irrational. RM can’t work out why other managers don’t like him. 🤔I can. 
He’d struggle like Jones in the Prem with this sort of behaviour.

He was irritable all evening, spent half the match bellowing at his players so obviously wound up like a spring by the time the interviews came along.

To be fair Adam does venture too much of his own opinion during some of his interviews and this was a case in point. He should remain neutral in an interview, ask a question that is not leading and wait for the answer. The interviewer should not seek to grab the limelight as Adam did in this interview or try to teach the interviewee how to suck eggs. It's Martin's opinion we wanted not Adam's.

Adam's style at pressers irritates me sometimes so maybe Martin is just fed up with him which is unfortunate.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’m in the minority it seems. I like watching us dominate, it does take balls from the management and players to play that way and over the long term that is the style that wins games and trophies these days. We play it well currently and will only get better.

I think Martin should get great credit for the switch to a diamond for the second half as well. It occupied Bristol City’s back 5 (7 at times) and we looked good. Think the injury to Kamaldeen may be a blessing in disguise.

Re the interview, we’ve just won a game against a team that had zero intention of committing more than 2 players forward at a time, played well second half, 10 unbeaten, and Blackmore’s focus literally 3 seconds into the interview is about the fact they had 2 chances in the first half? Teams are allowed to have a shot, a counter attack - Blackmore’s expecting a perfect 3-0 game every time with total domination and literally zero shots against? It seems to be dominating interviews and press conferences at the moment and I understand why his opening question may have irked Martin.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

Am I the only one not seeing anything contentious/provocative about Adam Blackmore's opening question?

Word-for-word:

"Russell, first of all, well done on the clean sheet, but I thought the second half turnaround, stopping them getting near the penalty area and creating the chances they created in the first half was probably the difference in the game?"

What am I missing? What would have been a better opening question?

Edited by trousers
  • Like 6

39 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Agreed, although the games against Leeds and WBA were at least encouraging.

Both those teams are at a similar level to Saints and didn't sit back. That gave more room for forwards to attack. However the threat to our defence was also a lot more intense. At the moment our Prem standard players are winning us games with moments of skill. However that cannot be relied on to continue. Teams will find a way to stifle that threat.

However bottom line is that 10 games unbeaten has to be celebrated. Incrementally Saints are making progress on their rivals.

The league is taking form now and there are 5 teams slugging it out for promotion. A lot will change as they play each other.

I’ll give you this last night, but how many other times has this happened? Who of our relegated squad that is still clearly prem standard has won us games from individual skill?

He’s clearly frustrated, and Adams question was basically interpreted as the team don’t score enough and still look prone to conceding, which is true and something we all know.

He especially didn’t like the Bazuna praise countering that he had ‘very little to do’ again true, but many times we have still conceded from few shots.

What I liked about this was it demonstrated that despite our run, he knows we should be better. I guess the concern is, and he must be thinking this, whether it’s his tactics or players not executing responsible.

14 minutes ago, trousers said:

Am I the only one not seeing anything contentious/provocative about Adam Blackmore's opening question?

Word-for-word:

"Russell, first of all, well done on the clean sheet, but I thought the second half turnaround, stopping them getting near the penalty area and creating the chances they created in the first half was probably the difference in the game?"

Clearly it is not a question! What you are missing is that in the sequence that you have quoted it is exactly as I said above, Adam giving his opinion rather than letting Martin answer the question without being told how to answer it. Talking across people like that is unacceptable. Keunsberg is the same.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Clearly it is not a question! What you are missing is that in the sequence that you have quoted it is exactly as I said above, Adam giving his opinion rather than letting Martin answer the question without being told how to answer it. Talking across people like that is unacceptable. Keunsberg is the same.

I bow to the wisdom of the Charlie Wayman syndicate.... ;)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, trousers said:

Word-for-word:

He thinks they only had one effort any good in the first half but I clearly remember Bazunu saving us at least twice in that boring first half.  The whole interview is shite, Blackmore states what everyone else saw, Martin is all chippy cos he didnt see that version. To call that second half great is ridiculous.

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

You're correct. Blackmore could have just asked Martin about the performance but instead seems to give Martin his opinion which Martin then has to agree / disagree with. 

Just ask simple open question and let the manager share his own thoughts 

• Like 3

I guess interviewers such as Blackmore are in a damned if they do, damned if they don't position. He's been accused plenty of times in the past of giving managers an easy ride in interviews. I still see nothing in his opening statement/question that warrants a tetchy reaction from a professional football manager so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. (Unless we're all supposed to share the same opinion?)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, JRM said:

You're correct. Blackmore could have just asked Martin about the performance but instead seems to give Martin his opinion which Martin then has to agree / disagree with. 

Just ask simple open question and let the manager share his own thoughts 

Blackmore always does this. Surprised it’s taken this long for Martin to be slightly chippy back. It’s an annoying style but some people like it I guess.

Why are our fans so precious about Blackmore and manager interviews in general? Literally every manager is spikey in interviews but here it’s seen as a cardinal sin.

Best form in the past couple of years is it? Better not be defensive about your record in an interview fella. 

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, notnowcato said:

I take your point about grinding out wins but I'm sure most of us would prefer to see some wins that are not ground but achieved with long periods of exciting football and more goals.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1