Player of the season so far

Fraser Spinney

• Fraser Spinney changed the title to Player of the season so far
58 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Bednarek has to be up there, especially as he is playing and thriving in a style fee thought he had the skillset to adapt to.

Interesting point.  One thing I notice with him this season over previous ones is that he never seems to get caught out of position and then make an absolute hash of trying to get back and make a block/tackle like he used to do with alarming regularity. I wonder how much of that is down to playing at a lower level and how much is down to the new style? Under Ralph he was often part of a high defensive line when our entire front 6 were pressing hard, and that led to a lot of his mistakes. This season he's still often found near the halfway line, but only when we're passing it around comfortably and keeping the opposition back in a low block, rather than chasing them down and trying to win the ball back in the oppo's half.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Interesting point.  One thing I notice with him this season over previous ones is that he never seems to get caught out of position and then make an absolute hash of trying to get back and make a block/tackle like he used to do with alarming regularity. I wonder how much of that is down to playing at a lower level and how much is down to the new style? Under Ralph he was often part of a high defensive line when our entire front 6 were pressing hard, and that led to a lot of his mistakes. This season he's still often found near the halfway line, but only when we're passing it around comfortably and keeping the opposition back in a low block, rather than chasing them down and trying to win the ball back in the oppo's half.

He's done well, Bednarek.  Fully redeemed himself in my eyes after his comments upon joining Villa.    Is one of a number of players  who look up with the best of them at Championship level after stuttering in the Prem......both Armstrongs and Airibo also in that category.

KWP player of the season by a space; Downes right up there.

• Like 1

There are a few honourable mentions - Stu (new lease of life), Downes (very important to the way we play), THB (when he started the defence improved), Bednarek (who has improved since THB played alongside him) and AA (goals and work-rate) but KWP has to be the player of the season so far. He is a Premier League player and, at present, we are lucky to have him.

Bar AA though it's noticeable that we don't have any other attacking players to nominate. Fraser has been good sporadically, Carlos and Sulemana have underachieved, Edozie was dropped for a long time, Adams and Mara haven't done anything. Attack definitely needs looking at in the window unless some existing players find form over the Christmas period.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

POTS: KWP is like having a cheat code in the Champ. Otherwise Janny B & Arma so far, for me. THB also in with a shout. 

Most improved: Edozie, Bazunu (and if they carry on the way they are, Aribo & Mara, though need a run of meaningful appearances from the latter, not 5 mins here and there).