Rotherham 0-2 Saints - Match Thread

Yorkshire Saint

Looking forward to this one. Think that we are sold out again.

My 2nd visit to Rotherham, different ground, different tournament. No Strachan or Delgado this time...

In the spirit of keeping us competitive and not tempting fate.. 3-1 Rotherham.

Bazuna

KWP

Manning

THB

Bednerak 

Downes 

Smallbone 

S Armstrong 

A Armstrong 

Che

Frazer

Saints still on for the double after we smash the scousers though..

Edited by Yorkshire Saint

Should be a routine away win. Has to be a routine away win. All of the top four away, ours is the easiest game 

Leicester away at stoke

Ipswich away at Preston

Leeds away at Bristol City

we have to win this

• Like 6

• Lighthouse changed the title to Rotherham away - Saturday 3pm
  • Lighthouse pinned this topic
32 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Should be a routine away win. Has to be a routine away win. All of the top four away, ours is the easiest game 

Leicester away at stoke

Ipswich away at Preston

we have to win this

We certainly owe them for their smash and grab draw at St Marys.

Could see Leeds slipping up but the other two should win comfortably. 

Agree with the OP regarding the team. Pretty much picks itself at the moment.

Edited by Harry_SFC

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Leicester away at stoke

Ipswich away at Preston

we have to win this

You'd think if we do win that at least one of them will drop points. Big game as always. 

• Like 1

Rotherham = bogey team , that draw earlier this season was ridiculous, Martin got upset being booed off. Too much to me to you no end product passing in that one. 

Not beaten them since 1964-65 season , 6 games since then. 

Saw us lose there in 2002 FA Cup, awful performance at Millmoor. 

2008 again terrible in the league Cup, think that was Don Valley stadium in Sheffield. 

2024 - nice to tick off another new ground , 2,444 sold out away end, good numbers, looks a nice compact little ground, 11k capacity so we'll have fair chunk of the crowd. Train strike on East Midlands Trains causing problems. 

Large.thumb.jpeg.55ff5b174daaceed260e499fa0ad0397.jpeg

Edited by JRM

52 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Same team as Swansea i feel, Only additions to the bench hopefully of Kamaldeen and a new RW.

Benson for benches. Expecting blanket coverage on this one this week ...

• Haha 1

Revenge for that smash and grab at St Mary’s please. Don’t think I’ve ever seen us dominate a game so much and not win. Still annoys me now. Go full throttle like we did in the first 45 vs Swansea and they won’t be able to live with us. 0-4, 23 unbeaten.

• Like 1

Anything but a dominant victory will be very dissapointing. 

An early goal is key. We need to play with the intent and intensity we did at Swansea - do that, take our chances and we'll win comfortably. 

• Like 1

If it all goes our way, we could make the top two on genuine merit for the first time this season, rather than by a simple quirk of having played our fixture first. Here’s hoping we can turn in a few away goals and make it comfortable.

Anything other than a very comfortable win would be disappointing. If we play like we did against Swansea early doors, we could easily be 3-0 up at half time and cruise to three points.

And tbh, if we play like we did aginst them at home, we will again win quite comfortably, we're better at putting teams to bed.

30 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Anything other than a very comfortable win would be disappointing. If we play like we did against Swansea early doors, we could easily be 3-0 up at half time and cruise to three points.

And tbh, if we play like we did aginst them at home, we will again win quite comfortably, we're better at putting teams to bed.

Indeed. We were very dominant when we played them at SMS, but it was not long after our terrible September form and we were still adapting to RM's tactics and struggling to kill teams off. We've improved massively since then (if you ignore the poor performance of our reserves in the first half on Sunday), and have become much more ruthless.

Rovrum are a very poor team, with much less quality than Swansea. They are bottom of the league with a GD of -27. I'll be very surprised if they manage to stop us scoring more than once.

39 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Indeed. We were very dominant when we played them at SMS, but it was not long after our terrible September form and we were still adapting to RM's tactics and struggling to kill teams off. We've improved massively since then (if you ignore the poor performance of our reserves in the first half on Sunday), and have become much more ruthless.

Rovrum are a very poor team, with much less quality than Swansea. They are bottom of the league with a GD of -27. I'll be very surprised if they manage to stop us scoring more than once.

Thing is, what you say is correct, but football works in funny ways. Leicester were lucky to win there, Ipswich drew, Leeds drew, so they have a system that has worked well at home against "top sides" 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JRM said:

Thing is, what you say is correct, but football works in funny ways. Leicester were lucky to win there, Ipswich drew, Leeds drew, so they have a system that has worked well at home against "top sides" 

5 reasons why parking the bus is not a crime

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Indeed. We were very dominant when we played them at SMS,

Stuart Armstrong scored after 2 minutes and then it looked as though we would get a bucket load of goals before HT.

Our 80% possession  (was the highest against any side) and we had  22 shots to 4, and their late goal was a lucky punt from outside of the area.

Their goalkeeper was outstanding on the day, and had his share of luck.    We don't want a repeat of that performance. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JRM said:

Rotherham = bogey team , that draw earlier this season was ridiculous, Martin got upset being booed off. Too much to me to you no end product passing in that one. 

Not beaten them since 1964-65 season , 6 games since then. 

Saw us lose there in 2002 FA Cup, awful performance at Millmoor. 

2008 again terrible in the league Cup, think that was Don Valley stadium in Sheffield. 

2024 - nice to tick off another new ground , 2,444 sold out away end, good numbers, looks a nice compact little ground, 11k capacity so we'll have fair chunk of the crowd. Train strike on East Midlands Trains causing problems. 

Large.thumb.jpeg.55ff5b174daaceed260e499fa0ad0397.jpeg

I wasn’t aware of the history and had forgotten some of those games.

The match that sticks in my mind is 1983 League Cup tie at their place. Shilton was injured or ill so we started with Ally Sperring in goal. After about 5 minutes he came for a cross and clobbered our CB Mark Wright breaking his nose. Lost 2-1. Don’t think Sperring played for us again. 

So losing the match, and one of our best players the same match. I know that was their old ground but seems Rotherham is jinxed for us. 

Perhaps we should take the White Witch with the team on Saturday. 

13 hours ago, gio1saints said:

As some esteemed posters have made VERY saintly clear above, if we do not win this match against Rotherham and all the other teams win their away matches then it quite literally is THE END OF THE WORLD !!!

If indeed it is the END OF THE WORLD I for one have got my bug out bag ready, just need to retreat to my bunker top up my water, sharpen my camping knife and sit out the breakdown of civilisation as we know it that will erupt should the unthinkable non massacre of Rotherham happen. And in years to come ancient historians may be able to trace the cataclysm back to a little web forum thing called “ Match day “ for saints fans v Rotherham that was the spark that set the whole world on fire and so began THE END OF THE WORLD.

NB They might even make a film about it bit like Legend but with Russell Martin as the sole survivor living comfortably on shoots, berries, grass and plentiful (but contaminated) freshwater. 😄

..and to think I was the one that started the thread that sparked it all off. I will be immortal.

Hope the outlook for your day gets better 🙏 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

I don’t believe in jinxes. 

They got lucky as fuck at st Mary’s, we owe them one. 

Barry and Paul, your boys are getting it 

Don't be daft.  In a world where it is not possible to be the better team and lose a match or the worst team on the pitch and still win, there is no such thing as 'luck'.

In a 1-1 draw, both teams were equal.

1 minute ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Don't be daft.  In a world where it is not possible to be the better team and lose a match or the worst team on the pitch and still win, there is no such thing as 'luck'.

In a 1-1 draw, both teams were equal.

Bit early to be on the sauce isn’t it fella?

It really annoyed me how Rotherham time wasted from the first minute at our earlier encounter. They are not alone in this against us. Can't understand how referees are reluctant to book goalkeepers early on, so annoying that they don't. The real answer is for us to score two or more early goals but we seem reluctant to do that too!

2 hours ago, losgigantes said:

It really annoyed me how Rotherham time wasted from the first minute at our earlier encounter. They are not alone in this against us. Can't understand how referees are reluctant to book goalkeepers early on, so annoying that they don't. The real answer is for us to score two or more early goals but we seem reluctant to do that too!

It used to really annoy me as well. 👍. Still does. But then I found a way to turn that frustration into quiet acceptance and even content - because I realised what it actually ( usually) means: 

1. We have intimidated the opponents - they are already happy to not lose or “ hold on” rather than proactively win. Psychologically speaking playing not to lose or hold onto a narrow lead is much weaker than playing to win.  Suggests we have the upper hand / mental advantage - they have conceded this to us and we should take advantage of that mentality. 

2. On this unbeaten run we have been ahead for the overwhelmingly vast majority of the time - so it’s actually their own time to equalise or somehow get back into the game that these teams have been wasting. Even before we are ahead. It seems counterintuitive when we are drawing ( or very rarely, behind) but overall this default time wasting that so many teams are doing v Saints is actually working in our favour. 

3. Another factor also in our favour when opponents timewaste is the number of goals we score v conceded in the last quarter. Generally speaking, The longer the game goes on into injury time this season the greater chances we have to score more than we concede. 

4. Our style of play means opponents are chasing the ball most or all game. By the last quarter some teams have been out on their feet physically. If the game is prolonged even further our better fitness / legs becomes even more potentially important. 

5. The longer the game the more likely we will play all our substitutes - and probably the opponents will do too. On balance we have one of the best squads in this league ( if not the best!?)  - so our subs are typically better than opponents subs. This also gives us advantage in the latter stages of prolonged by time wasting matches. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 3

Time wasting doesn't annoy me because there's games in which we do it.

You can't get pissed off with the other team for trying when we'd do exactly the same in that circumstance.

It's up to refs to add more time on if it happens. Fair to get annoyed at the ref if he doesn't.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Teams are always more difficult if they're setup for a 0-0.

Rotherham are crap. They have lost the 3rd most games this season and sit bottom of the league. Whilst we have just signed the likes of David Brooks, anything other than a win is a terrible result

3 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Rotherham are crap. They have lost the 3rd most games this season and sit bottom of the league. Whilst we have just signed the likes of David Brooks, anything other than a win is a terrible result

I agree we should win but I'm almost certain there will still be some games this year that we will draw that we should really have won. 

43 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Lets not forget both Leeds and Ipswich failed to win at their place this season.

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Lets not forget both Leeds and Ipswich failed to win at their place this season.

It's pointless mentioning that. Everything is so simple in Alex's world.

I wonder if he still thinks our manager is a cretin?

Slow start from us here as we will have lost our rhythm from the FA cup tinkering. We might even go a goal down from a mess up at the back early doors. However, I just cannot contemplate anything other than a win here. We will be strong in the end, as we often are and walk out 1-3 winners.

If we can get an early goal and disrupt them hopefully it will be routine but if we don't they'll sit back and it could get a bit hairy. Got to take those chances when they come.

Also Leeds may well be 2 points ahead of us going into this game albeit having played 2 more.

They are all pressure games now.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Rotherham 0-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic