Saints 3-0 PNE - Match Thread

Harry_SFC

5 hours ago, trousers said:

So, if a team can veto (unchallenged) a potential rearranged date, why didn't we veto the April date that PNE favoured...? Given a choice, surely we'd have favoured this week? Ergo, why does PNE's preference trump ours...?

I would guess that it’s not just PNE that have to agree. There are also the police and other authorities. There was a time when there used up be endless cup replays and games could be arranged in a couple of days. Then the police, I think it was, wanted a lot more notice than that.

9 hours ago, trousers said:

So, if a team can veto (unchallenged) a potential rearranged date, why didn't we veto the April date that PNE favoured...? Given a choice, surely we'd have favoured this week? Ergo, why does PNE's preference trump ours...?

Probably something to do with the fact they were the inconvenienced team having already travelled down to Southampton last week, then being asked to travel down again "today" and then to Plymouth on Saturday. I know we didn't start the fire on purpose (well I assume), it would have been pretty rough on PNE, not to mention their supporters. Its a long way from Preston to Southampton (twice) and Plymouth.

14 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Probably something to do with the fact they were the inconvenienced team having already travelled down to Southampton last week, then being asked to travel down again "today" and then to Plymouth on Saturday. I know we didn't start the fire on purpose (well I assume), it would have been pretty rough on PNE, not to mention their supporters. Its a long way from Preston to Southampton (twice) and Plymouth.

Even assuming Saints did want to play this week and Hampshire police were ok with this it would have been very hard on Preston fans to have to rearrange travel, hotels, time off work etc at less than a week's notice. Once they said no to this week our options were basically down to two midweeks, either the one that's been picked or the last midweek of the season and I strongly suspect the EFL want to keep that free just in case of other unexpected postponements involving either us or PNE, as the play-off schedule means they dare not contemplate the season being extended.

15 hours ago, trousers said:

I think either club can veto. Both would have to agree on a date I would guess, and if not it has to be decided by the EFL. But I may be wrong. 

Can anyone explain to me why it is we have so long off? I was content with this, until I realised even with us being behind on matches, most teams are still playing this weekend… There was a championship game last night as well… Odd. 

11 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

Can anyone explain to me why it is we have so long off? I was content with this, until I realised even with us being behind on matches, most teams are still playing this weekend… There was a championship game last night as well… Odd. 

Our scheduled opponent this week is still in the FA Cup (Leicester)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

And Preston didn't want to play this midweek. Which I think is pretty poor. They should be made to play it at the earliest opportunity 

Why should they?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Because the game should be played at the earliest opportunity. If they are that bothered about fans making the trip down, give the fans who had tickets for the original fixture free travel.

Pretty sure Preston wanted it played on March 6th, mate. It's not their fault the city of Southampton fucked up.

Two clubs mutually agreeing on a date sounds completely fair enough to me. Not sure what you're upset about.

Given the amount of people on here who seem to regard it as a chore to watch Saints, we should be more grateful to be given three weeks' respite. I wish we could have international friendlies all the time.

The icing on the cake is that Saints often make the most of these quiet periods. Think of the glorious metamorphosis we all got to enjoy as the side transformed from Ralph's lowly caterpillars to become butterflies soaring up the table under Nathan Jones. There was some kickabout in Qatar but the real excitement was taking place at Staplewood, and I'm sure something similar will be afoot right now.

11 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Given the amount of people on here who seem to regard it as a chore to watch Saints, we should be more grateful to be given three weeks' respite. I wish we could have international friendlies all the time.

The icing on the cake is that Saints often make the most of these quiet periods. Think of the glorious metamorphosis we all got to enjoy as the side transformed from Ralph's lowly caterpillars to become butterflies soaring up the table under Nathan Jones. There was some kickabout in Qatar but the real excitement was taking place at Staplewood, and I'm sure something similar will be afoot right now.

oh dont worry there is plenty to moan about before our next game. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Pretty sure Preston wanted it played on March 6th, mate. It's not their fault the city of Southampton fucked up.

Two clubs mutually agreeing on a date sounds completely fair enough to me. Not sure what you're upset about.

City of Southampton fucked up? It was a fire in a building, am sure you can blame the city for lots of things, but not sure if starting fires is on the list. How do you know both clubs mutually agreed to the date? I thought we wanted it played this week but Preston disagreed. Doesn't sound very mutual to me

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

City of Southampton fucked up? It was a fire in a building, am sure you can blame the city for lots of things, but not sure if starting fires is on the list. How do you know both clubs mutually agreed to the date? I thought we wanted it played this week but Preston disagreed. Doesn't sound very mutual to me

The point is it isn't Preston's fault, Preston did not cancel the game.

It's not being played this week, fucking get over it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CB Fry said:

WTF does the city of Southampton have to do with all this?!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Preston will be more dangerous than Watford IMO.... Despite a setback today, they are still within reach of the play-offs, so you'd imagine they'd be busting a gut in their remaining matches. 

3 minutes ago, trousers said:

Preston will be more dangerous than Watford IMO.... Despite a setback today, they are still within reach of the play-offs, so you'd imagine they'd be busting a gut in their remaining matches. 

It's a game Preston need to get something out of, they'll be well up for if.

But thankfully because of the results so will we, I can imagine the game being open and hopefully that suits us.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

But thankfully because of the results so will we, I can imagine the game being open and hopefully that suits us.

Yep, a draw is no good for Preston. They'd need to win all 3 of their remaining games to just stand a chance.

Could be an exciting game. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Yep, as you say, could actually work in our favour...

15 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

If we don’t give out a load of free bbq flavoured crisps to the Preston fans traveling down for this (again) I’ll be disappointed. Come on Saints, somebody in catering have a sense of humour.

good shout.

A very close game this but I think we’ll still get a win, 1-0 or 2-1.

Maybe revert to Manning at LB to give one of Bree or KWP a rest.
Aribo definitely needs a rest, get Stu Armstrong in the centre to add some creativity.
Brooks to the bench please, he’s better as an impact sub, give Edozie a start.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Obstacle1 said:

Games are coming thick and fast, feel like the scheduling will be at least partly to blame for when we fuck this up

They are, but Preston have had to play the same schedule since Good Friday so it's no different for them and if anything should give us an advantage with strength in depth in the squad. 

29 March - Preston 3-0 Rotherham 

01 April - Birmingham 1-0 Preston 

06 April - Watford 0-0 Preston 

09 April - Preston 4-1 Huddersfield 

13 April - Preston 0-1 Norwich 

They seem a hard team to predict, never know what you're going to get in this league. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Can't see anything but a convincing win here for Saints.

I'd like to see Edozie start in lieu of Brooks. Manning deserves to take his place at left back, too.

4-0 to Saints.

I really don't believe this, I think it will be incredibly tough. 

1-0

I'm hoping that Saturday has popped PNE's balloon and we can capitalise.

Win here and the top 3 will be seriously wetting the bed. Keep on applying the pressure and hope they succumb.

Have to say though that the defence gives me the jitters.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Lumley; KWP, THB, Bednarek, Manning; Downes, Smallbone, Aribo; Edozie, AA, Adams.

Subs - Bazunu, Stephens, Bree, Charles, Rothwell, Sulemena, Armstrong, Brooks, Fraser.

Appreciate that Martins team will be a lot different. 

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Lumley; KWP, THB, Bednarek, Manning; Downes, Smallbone, Aribo; Edozie, AA, Adams.

Subs - Bazunu, Stephens, Bree, Charles, Rothwell, Sulemena, Armstrong, Brooks, Fraser.

Appreciate that Martins team will be a lot different. 

Perhaps there's a logical case for playing Lumley in these remaining games, which avoids the need to drop Bazunu on form alone....

Lumley was Martin's preferred goalkeeper for our cup games. One assumes Martin picked Lumley because he thought he was the best keeper for those type of games....

Given we're now effectively in a "must win" 5 game knock out tournament, wouldn't playing our "best cup goalkeeper" be a logical choice for the remaining games...? 

#logical

(If you're looking in Russ, you can thank me later for this pearl of wisdom ;) )

Edited by trousers

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints vs PNE - Rearranged 16th April 2000
15 minutes ago, Saint In Cornwall said:

Kick off is at 2000 not 1945 as per thread title 😉

That's because its live on sky isn't it? 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 3-0 PNE - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic