WBA 0-0 Saints - SF 1st Leg Match Thread

SaintBobby

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Strange decision by Aribo to blast it at Armstrong full pelt instead of laying it out wide to manning in acres of space.

Thought exactly the same, was the easier ball, perhaps he didn't trust manning to deliver, or thought he could force the forwards pass. 

Just now, Saint NL said:

Wba lucky there the ref stopped it 

He doesn't even connect with his head FFS. 

If a player goes down with a head injury to stop the game they should go off for a concussion check.

Just now, Saint_clark said:

He doesn't even connect with his head FFS. 

If a player goes down with a head injury to stop the game they should go off for a concussion check.

He jumped straight up as well, definitely wasn't injured

• Like 1

Half time.

Very poor star, but grew into it.

Still very sloppy and Stephens has given it away far too many times. Need to win the midfield battle and control the game more, not sure how we do that without taking off a defender (Stephens, hint hint)

I'll take nil nil at half time. We haven't offered much in an attacking sense and WBA came at us hard and fast and on the break they look quick but there seems too be a lack of quality there. Really hoping they'll knacker themselves out. Mara hadn't offered much but what can we do? Risk Stewart? Playing all three CBs definitely blunts our attack.

It'll be interesting to see whether Stewart provides more of an attacking threat from corners and free kicks.

So far pretty much like so many Saints games this season. Plenty of possession but little threat. Still, 0-0 at half time in the 1st away leg will just about do.

Well a mixed bag of a half. KWP not ahis best, Stephens and Manning both terrible. Flynn on a yellow also not ideal. Mara not really in the game, Armstrong has had a couple of outside opportunities to break through but got his timings wrong, aside from that quiet.

Be interesting to see as the game goes on how much faith Russ has in Stewart. My feeling is that he won’t risk him with any meaningful minutes unless we’re behind.

Ok, a quarter of this contest in and 0-0, proper battle that caught a lot of our players out. Will take that. If we go one up I think their heads will properly drop and we win the leg relatively comfortably. Fraser for Manning please Russell. Need to score straight after HT. COYR! 

Clearly missing Che's strength and hold-up play - Mara really is a seriously poor replacement so I'd bring on Stewart at half-time although I accept it won't happen.  Our biggest worries are Fellows against Manning plus I'm concerned we'll be punished from continually giving the ball away in our own half especially by Stephens. McCarthy made a good save and Bednarek has been our best defender. Aribo, Smallbone and Downes doing well in midfield.

3 minutes ago, manji said:

Rarely watch TV adverts except for live football . Why are all of them about cleaning ?

Football is more popular than ever with women now. 

(Disclaimer I'm joking) 

• Haha 6

5 minutes ago, manji said:

Rarely watch TV adverts except for live football . Why are all of them about cleaning ?

Because football fans are dirty bastards 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, manji said:

It varies by time of day and day of the week; mid afternoon on weekdays it is all funeral plans and equity release.

Edited by badgerx16

Saints have enough about them to win this game but they also have enough about them to hand it to WBA. Manning defensively is shocking while Stephens in midfield has given it away rather a lot. Expect another WBA assault at the start of the 2nd half. Ride that out and nick a 0-1 win would be an adequate day's work.

8 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I'll take nil nil at half time. We haven't offered much in an attacking sense and WBA came at us hard and fast and on the break they look quick but there seems too be a lack of quality there. Really hoping they'll knacker themselves out. Mara hadn't offered much but what can we do? Risk Stewart? Playing all three CBs definitely blunts our attack.

If not now then when? We may only have 135 minutes left this season

• Like 2

Just now, obelisk said:

Saints have enough about them to win this game but they also have enough about them to hand it to WBA. Manning defensively is shocking while Stephens in midfield has given it away rather a lot. Expect another WBA assault at the start of the 2nd half. Ride that out and nick a 0-1 win would be an adequate day's work.

I'd take the 0-0 now.

• Jimmy_D changed the title to WBA 0-0 Saints - SF 1st Leg Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic