WBA 0-0 Saints - SF 1st Leg Match Thread

SaintBobby

Not that I think I have much of a chance but heres a quick begging post to anyone who has a load of aways and can't make the game for whatever reason - if someone has a couple of tickets to the game on Sunday I'd be eternally grateful. Do a good deed and help out a fellow fan :)

On 02/05/2024 at 12:07, Charlie Wayman said:

Bought mine on-line just now, no problems at all. Some people do like to moan don't they!

I got ours online but no option for downloading ticket . Only post or pick up from stadium.

• Like 1

This is going to be tough but if we don't bottle it I fancy our chances.

They are a good solid unit but reasonably predictable and we do have the weapons to get past them.

Our biggest enemy is our own mentality. Will the Leeds team turn up or will it be the Stoke one?

Hopefully a draw or narrow defeat at the Hawthornes followed by a comfortable home win.

• Like 1

We have the quality.

We've done well against them so far this season.

We finished with an uptick of confidence.

We are missing Baz and Stu, but have some cover.

Form guide in last 6 is a couple of points better than theirs.

We've every chance.

• Like 3

Only team we haven't played off the park for at least 45 minutes of a match this season is Leicester and they were the champions... We've definitely got the team to get us through this and lets hope the recent poor form was due to playing a match every three or four days.

• Like 4

The sad thing is - The Cat,when you are approaching 70 like Dark Munster and myself you become very cynical. We have both supported the club for over 60 years and have seen an awful lot of lows in that time,as well as some highs I might add.

With this manager who knows what team and formation he will pick next weekend at - The Hawthorns and that is a real worry

• Like 2

We are into the fairly random, god knows what happens, play-offs. But I fancy us to get to the final. We are the favourites for sure v WBA...but not by a wide margin 

• Like 1

It is critical that we win through to the final and then win in the final at Wembley. There’s so much riding on our promotion to the Prem from a financial point of view because of debt left by Goa and failure to go up will cast a huge shadow, so much so that we could find ourselves in deeper shit than our previous relegation if that were possible. Sports Republic have gambled everything on an immediate return to the Prem…failure is not an option, so we must hope RM and his coaches are on their best form to rouse the squad to perform at the highest level. The stakes could not be higher - a cosy life in the Championship is not an option. COYS!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

We have the quality.

We've done well against them so far this season.

We finished with an uptick of confidence.

We are missing Baz and Stu, but have some cover.

Form guide in last 6 is a couple of points better than theirs.

We've every chance.

We finished 12 points above them and we've beaten them twice.

We have more than "a chance", we are deserved favourites.

We just have to actually do the business.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

We finished 12 points above them and we've beaten them twice.

We have more than "a chance", we are deserved favourites.

We just have to actually do the business.

That's a terrible attempt at a haiku. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

That's a terrible attempt at a haiku. 

There was a manager called Martin

About his teams would be farting

We play sideways and back

Concede after every attack

But in the play offs we're now starting

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It will take a brave man to put a bet on this game. I would actually rather we have not beaten them twice, as often when this sort of things happens, the beaten team is well up for showing that the other games were a fluke and want to put things right, plus they will be learning as we speak from videos, exactly how to combat out style. I hope RM sticks to the Leeds set up as it will totally fook their plan up. We have to win or draw IMO as there are no guarantees we will play any better in the home leg. It would be nice to come back to SMS with a 1 goal lead minimum.

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

There was a manager called Martin

About his teams would be farting

We play sideways and back

Concede after every attack

But in the play offs we're now starting

There once was a man named Russell 

Who was vegan so lacked certain muscles

For possession he cared

And had lego for hair 

And with Sunak he had quite a tussle 

Almost works. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I notice in the confirmation email it says about arranging ticket collections if they don't arrive in the post by Friday.

I have a feeling the West Brom ticket office is going to be very busy come Sunday lunchtime!

On balance the four teams in the play-offs seem pretty evenly matched and it will come down surely to which group of players want it most and with a firm belief that they will be able to hack it in the PL should they succeed.

Several Saints players must be uncertain whether they will be part of the club's plans if promotion is gained. To succeed players must put club before self and play their hearts out for the group benefit whatever their futures hold. This will be Martin's task this week

• Like 1

I will say though, what a way to go up if we do get to and win the final. I wish I could be there. Equaled and bettered only by being at the FA cup final of 1976 I would think. Or, with the game as it is, would it be considered our best win ever, making us all that money to secure our finances for a while?

• Like 1

Woke from a dream in the early hours in which we were 4-1 up before half time. Our 4th was a deliciously scrappy, force-it-over-the-line effort. 

Chance would be a fine thing...

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ant said:

Woke from a dream in the early hours in which we were 4-1 up before half time. Our 4th was a deliciously scrappy, force-it-over-the-line effort. 

Chance would be a fine thing...

Fortunately, your dream ended before their second half come back, when we gave up our midfield. 🙂

It's okay, we work to the whistle, with Fraser getting a fifth and Stewart a header in the last second, in a crazy 6-4 win.

Bought mine earlier but then had to back up to buy one for my youngest just now as he had 11 aways and it wouldn't let me log back in and buy another one for him.

I think I got one of the last tickets judging by what the bloke on the phone said.

Yeah I’m going to miss out with 10. 
2k tickets is ridiculously tight, considering their capacity is 27000 it’s miles off the 10% I thought we’d get? 

9 minutes ago, Jack said:

Yeah I’m going to miss out with 10. 
2k tickets is ridiculously tight, considering their capacity is 27000 it’s miles off the 10% I thought we’d get? 

It’s 10% or 2000, whichever is smallest. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Griffo said:

2,000 is small enough as it is without the club taking 300 out of the allocation for themselves.

Where does that come from ?

(Must admit there looked a suspicious square chunk taken out on first looking)

Just now, Badger said:

Where does that come from ?

(Must admit there looked a suspicious square chunk taken out on first looking)

It’s happens every away game. Assume it’s for families/staff/hangers on. Usually prime location behind the goal too 😂

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, LGTL said:

It’s 10% or 2000, whichever is smallest. 

Oh right. Hopefully we’re also providing them with the minimum allocation then for the home game 

Edited by Jack

21 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

Unfortunately it’s not that simple for our Russ, as he’s proven time and time again. Hope I’m wrong but I fear it’ll be back to his beloved tippy tappy inverted fullback possession obsession Russball. 

Maybe because that style has worked time and time again?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, LGTL said:

It’s happens every away game. Assume it’s for families/staff/hangers on. Usually prime location behind the goal too 😂

Poor that it eats into the away allocation. Will only detract from the atmosphere (unless some of the families go on the beer before the match). 

Wonder how many tartan blanket (even in May), thermos flask types will be there.  Along with the assorted vlog makers.

It’ll just be left to the rest of us to double our efforts in getting something going. 

18 minutes ago, Badger said:

Poor that it eats into the away allocation. Will only detract from the atmosphere (unless some of the families go on the beer before the match). 

Wonder how many tartan blanket (even in May), thermos flask types will be there.  Along with the assorted vlog makers.

It’ll just be left to the rest of us to double our efforts in getting something going. 

Yeah exactly. Only 1700 fans really, I wonder if it’s why the club put the comment about potential returned/released tickets. If the 300 number is right, that’s a big chunk for people who don’t really care 

19 minutes ago, Jack said:

Yeah exactly. Only 1700 fans really, I wonder if it’s why the club put the comment about potential returned/released tickets. If the 300 number is right, that’s a big chunk for people who don’t really care 

Sometimes they put a few back on sale if the ones the club have don't sell

7 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Anyone know what WBA away allocation is or will be at St Marys? Hopefully we reciprocate by giving them just the minimum 2,000 tickets.  

Course we won’t, they’ll get 3k+ because we’re soft as shit.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Anyone know what WBA away allocation is or will be at St Marys? Hopefully we reciprocate by giving them just the minimum 2,000 tickets.  

yes 2000 odd for them, unlike in the league game when they got 2700

1 hour ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

1 hour ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Course we won’t, they’ll get 3k+ because we’re soft as shit.

West Brom supporters will be situated in blocks 44 to 48 with 2,000 tickets.

https://www.southamptonfc.com/en/southampton-vs-westbrom

• Like 1

• Jimmy_D changed the title to WBA 0-0 Saints - SF 1st Leg Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic