January 2014 Transfer news & rumours

Glasgow_Saint

What usually happens is all the Journos will say "A quiet day expected at Saints" obviously apart from the boring Osvaldo saga.

The, about 3pm, one of them will say "Just hearing there could be some inward movement at Saints."

Then 6pm, "All quiet at St Mary's, no incomings expected with Pochettino happy with his squad."

Happens every Jan deadline day.

Has anyone thought that maybe KL has no intention of spending anymore money,she has declared she will give the manager the support he needs but that that is just words,actions will prove her intent and so far all we have done is offload,maybe her intention all along is to sell the club in the summer.

We've offloaded players that we do not use. Better to see Gallagher getting games than Lee Barnard.

We've offloaded players that we do not use. Better to see Gallagher getting games than Lee Barnard.

We would obviously have used Osvaldo though, if he hadn't had the Fonte incident. We will be weaker up front at the end of the window than before, with an out of form/shape Lambert and a rookie 18 year old as the only central options.

Jay is better out wide, and we need him there as have such little attacking midfield depth.

Certainly a player light in an attacking sense.

The players we are getting rid of don't add squad depth as they aren't good enough and aren't better than the youth players we have in coming to replace them. The amount of waste we have had over the last 18 months paying these players has probably cost us £10m.

This is just sensible efficiency savings. People need to calm down and wait and see.

We would obviously have used Osvaldo though, if he hadn't had the Fonte incident. We will be weaker up front at the end of the window than before, with an out of form/shape Lambert and a rookie 18 year old as the only central options.

Jay is better out wide, and we need him there as have such little attacking midfield depth.

Guly?

Possibly, but given our league position im not that fussed if we do bring another striker in. If they do and it's an improvement on what we have then great, but really don't think it would be a disaster if stuck with what we have.

Has anyone thought that maybe KL has no intention of spending anymore money,she has declared she will give the manager the support he needs but that that is just words,actions will prove her intent and so far all we have done is offload,maybe her intention all along is to sell the club in the summer.

If she was looking to make quick money she would be offloading the likes of shaw and lallana, not players who either never play or are a major disruption to squad harmony. Just because we may not spend some money for the sake of it today does not in any way reflect on the intentions of kl to sell this summer. And if the right player is available today for the right price, I have every faith that we will make the signing.

SSN is already getting on my tits! Reporting on such non-transfers as breaking news, transfers that happen for every club in the background every day.

Who cares that Swansea have signed a couple of 18 year olds from Scotland?? They really really milk it these days, trailers for it over the sky channels, new graphics, outside broadcasts etc. Pretty ott! I'd use to say it was strangely addictive, but it's not even that anymore.

The amount of people on here moaning about a lack of activity is ridiculous. For a start shipping out players that cannot cut it at PL level is a very good thing. It keeps the financial situation in check and also means there should be some decent cash available for the summer window where prices are more reasonable than in January. Also, if someone can outline who has been realistically available at a reasonable price to improve us during January the that would be helpful. I cannot think of any clubs that would want to sell players in their squad of the quality we need to improve our first eleven.

If you look at our league position it is abundantly clear that we are not going to finish above 8/9th place even if we bring in new faces of the right quality (not easy). We are also not going to be relegated or even remotely in danger of it so there is no pressure on us in that sense to strengthen right now. It would be madness to bring in some players for big money that have not been properly researched and evaulated just on the off chance that we might have a bit of a cup run.

This season is now the perfect opportunity to take stock, give our good youngsters a taste of the Premier League and work on targets for the summer under no pressure at all. If we do a late deal that is right for the club then great. If not, no worries. We have Wanyama returning from injury and will have Lovren and Ramirez back for the last 10 games or so of the season. Our 'second string' showed they are more than capable of playing well against Arsenal on Tuesday night and deserve the opportunity to progress.

Lawro's Verdict

Lawro on Luke Shaw: "Southampton left-back Luke Shaw is in demand but I don't see it being a problem for the Saints if he does get sold before the window shuts.

"Even if he signs for Chelsea, Manchester United or whoever, then he will probably be loaned back to St Mary's until the end of the season.

"If anything, that would be perfect for Shaw too because he will have his big move and it will be up to him when he is going to go."

SSN is already getting on my tits! Reporting on such non-transfers as breaking news, transfers that happen for every club in the background every day.

Who cares that Swansea have signed a couple of 18 year olds from Scotland?? They really really milk it these days, trailers for it over the sky channels, new graphics, outside broadcasts etc. Pretty ott! I'd use to say it was strangely addictive, but it's not even that anymore.

Jim White is on his second bottle of brandy

1+1+1+1+1 = a wild guess

The amount of people on here moaning about a lack of activity is ridiculous. For a start shipping out players that cannot cut it at PL level is a very good thing. It keeps the financial situation in check and also means there should be some decent cash available for the summer window where prices are more reasonable than in January. Also, if someone can outline who has been realistically available at a reasonable price to improve us during January the that would be helpful. I cannot think of any clubs that would want to sell players in their squad of the quality we need to improve our first eleven.

If you look at our league position it is abundantly clear that we are not going to finish above 8/9th place even if we bring in new faces of the right quality (not easy). We are also not going to be relegated or even remotely in danger of it so there is no pressure on us in that sense to strengthen right now. It would be madness to bring in some players for big money that have not been properly researched and evaulated just on the off chance that we might have a bit of a cup run.

This season is now the perfect opportunity to take stock, give our good youngsters a taste of the Premier League and work on targets for the summer under no pressure at all. If we do a late deal that is right for the club then great. If not, no worries. We have Wanyama returning from injury and will have Lovren and Ramirez back for the last 10 games or so of the season. Our 'second string' showed they are more than capable of playing well against Arsenal on Tuesday night and deserve the opportunity to progress.

Blatantly this.

We sign some striker none of us have ever heard of - finish eighth or ninth.

We don't - finish eighth or ninth.

Last January we signed Forren. That's it. And we kinda finished the season fine.

And the cup will be what will be. I am desperate for us to do well in a cup but you don't make signings for a cup run.

As it happens, I think we will sign a player today. But I am fine if we don't.

Lawro's Verdict

Lawro on Luke Shaw: "Southampton left-back Luke Shaw is in demand but I don't see it being a problem for the Saints if he does get sold before the window shuts.

"Even if he signs for Chelsea, Manchester United or whoever, then he will probably be loaned back to St Mary's until the end of the season.

"If anything, that would be perfect for Shaw too because he will have his big move and it will be up to him when he is going to go."

Brilliant from Lawro. This CAN'T happen between Prem clubs.

Blatantly this.

Last January we signed Forren. That's it. And we kinda finished the season fine.

And the cup will be what will be. I am desperate for us to do well in a cup but you don't make signings for a cup run.

Yep

Hypothetically, could they agree a deal, and delay the completion until summer? So in effect, loan him back?

A deal could be struck, contract signed, but the player registration wouldn't be passed over to Chelsea as yet, so he would still technically be our player. The consideration of the contract would change hands (player and money) on the contracted date (1st July 2014).

This never happens though, too much risk on Chelsea's side (injuries etc).

A deal could be struck, contract signed, but the player registration wouldn't be passed over to Chelsea as yet, so he would still technically be our player. The consideration of the contract would change hands (player and money) on the contracted date (1st July 2014).

Ok thanks, wasn't sure whether this was allowed or not. Guess that could be one way round it then.

Not that I actually think this will happen.

Blatantly this.

This should be stickied for when the bedwetters say we are worse than Crystal Palace for the 20th time later today

Talk going about on twitter and saintslist that a few clubs interested in Morgan, would hate him to leave, would be totally gutted.

He won't be leaving today. Clubs have been interested in him for a long time. Summer will be a big test in terms of keeping him.

You miserable old git SSN is not just for Saints Fans probably Swansea ones maybe interested

Blatantly this.

Totally and utterly this!