Victor Wanyama sidelined for six weeks

Saint-Armstrong

We knew this would happen with injuries and our lack of depth in the squad. If we kept everyone fit we would have finished top 6, but will find it hard now. This is football, it happens to the best teams when they have key players out.

We need to hand around the top half, so we can attract players in January.

Going to be a very tough December for us. Good job we got a nice amount of points on the board at the start of the season.

Shame it has happened just after last weekends article in the daily mail about our preparation for games.

That's a bit of a bugger, and here we all were worrying about the yellow he'd pick up....who gives a **** about that now!!!

We'd been very lucky with injures up until now, but this is as bad as I can remember for a long time. This high powered game has cost us here.

Cork can cover Victor but I am worried about replacing Clyne - didn't he go off with a hamstring? Maya and Chambers don't inspire me and we lose the right hand side going forwards.

I agree.

Boruc - Gazza or Kelvin is not ideal but hope Gazza can come through OK. Still can't understand why we spent £2.5m on him.

Clyne - hmmmm. Maybe JWP can drop back

Spider and Wanyama - I like Steven Davis and am happy there. Cork, if he can get back up to where he was last season might be OK. We are a bit light esp if JWP drops into RB. One would hope that Gaston might be able to step up to the plate and show what he's made of, but......!!! BTW, does anyone know how Isgrove is getting on? He seemed to do well in pre-season.

When we played 3 at the back on Wednesday, it got me sitting on the edge of my seat a wee bit too much. Given that we had 77% of the possession I can see why that was OK, but I can't see that happening against City and having only 3 at the back would be suicide.

I agree.

Boruc - Gazza or Kelvin is not ideal but hope Gazza can come through OK. Still can't understand why we spent £2.5m on him.

Spider and Wanyama - I like Steven Davis and am happy there. Cork, if he can get back up to where he was last season might be OK. We are a bit light esp if JWP drops into RB. One would hope that Gaston might be able to step up to the plate and show what he's made of, but......!!! BTW, does anyone know how Isgrove is getting on? He seemed to do well in pre-season.

When we played 3 at the back on Wednesday, it got me sitting on the edge of my seat a wee bit too much. Given that we had 77% of the possession I can see why that was OK, but I can't see that happening against City and having only 3 at the back would be suicide.

We had 4 at the back!

Fonte was playing RB, hence his position when crossing for Osvaldo's goal.

I agree.

/QUOTE]

Whats wrong with Chambers filling in? A few players are going to have to step up, some of them international players lets not forget- injuries are part of the game, all teams have them, just get on with it

Cork can cover Victor but I am worried about replacing Clyne - didn't he go off with a hamstring? Maya and Chambers don't inspire me and we lose the right hand side going forwards.

If Chambers does not impress you there is really not much hope. He was brilliant early in the season

We had 4 at the back!

Fonte was playing RB, hence his position when crossing for Osvaldo's goal.

you need to mention this to MP as he thought it was 3-4-3. Yes Fonte did get the cross in. Mainly because he was caught with the ball high up with few options to offload.

where are all the , 'we should have played our best team against Sunderland' voices now. This is what people were warning of,injuries and suspensions due to too many games especially with our style of football

We "rested" them all in that game to avoid injuries and yet they've all got injured anyway, so as it turned out we might as well have played them in that game for all the good the rest did them.

Mick Channon once said one could tell how much pressure a manager puts players under by the number of players on the injury list.

I've felt we had the squad to take an injury crisis but the importance will be Pochettino's team selections. He got it pretty wrong last game playing Yoshida rather than Hooivelt.

We "rested" them all in that game to avoid injuries and yet they've all got injured anyway, so as it turned out we might as well have played them in that game for all the good the rest did them.

And might have an extra midweek game coming up in 1,5 week against Chelsea.....wouldn´t do much good for the squad at the moment....

Plenty of games in december already without those league cup games.

So that is bad news...i think Big Vic has been immense

I am amazed at the amount of people on this forum who complain about Vic and think Cork should be in the team...well he will get his chance now.

Time for Cork to stop whinging in the press and produce on the field...he wanted to play and now he will

where are all the , 'we should have played our best team against Sunderland' voices now. This is what people were warning of,injuries and suspensions due to too many games especially with our style of football

I'm still here and still say we should have played a stronger team at Sunderland and tried to win our first major trophy for thirty odd years.

a) we apparently rested them to concentrate on our league position, we've slipped down the table on the back of that wonderful rest they all had.

b) As Steve Grant has said despite the wonderful rest they had, we've got loads of injuries.

So where are all the "its brilliant we're not trying to win a trophy" voices now, then?

Edited by CB Fry

I'm still here and still say we should have played a stronger team at Sunderland and tried to win our first major trophy for thirty odd years.

a) we apparently rested them to concentrate on our league position, we've slipped down the table on the back of that wonderful rest they all had.

b) As Kraken has said despite the wonderful rest they had, we've got loads of injuries.

So where are all the "its brilliant we're not trying to win a trophy" voices now, then?

Including the rest they all had at Sunderland we've played 5 lost 4 and picked up loads on injuries en route. We'd have done so much worse if we'd have played a strong team that night..

So that is bad news...i think Big Vic has been immense

I am amazed at the amount of people on this forum who complain about Vic and think Cork should be in the team...well he will get his chance now.

Time for Cork to stop whinging in the press and produce on the field...he wanted to play and now he will

When has he been doing this? Link?

If anything this proves we should have played a strong team against Sunderland. Resting them for one game hasn't really helped, we're not going to finish in the top 4 and we're not going to have a trip to Wembley or win the cup now.

The problem with Cork is that, while he is one of the best passers in the team and has a very neat touch of the ball, for a holding role in midfield you need to either have pace or be strong. Cork I'm afraid is neither. I am confident Wanyama, despite having way too many lapses of concentration (which Cork does not) would not have lost the challenge that led to Villa's 2nd goal. He has the presence that Cork does not provide. With Schneiderlin on the side things would be different as they complement each other quite well and Cork knows how to cover Morgan's freedom in terms of position in midfield, leaving Davis more attacking-minded, but we've yet to see a Cork/JWP central midfield pairing assuming Davis will be the more attacking minded of the 3 midfielders.

And please, no 3-4-3 with our passing game like on Wednesday. The English game is too fast for it. I'd rather have two holding midfielders and go direct.

If anything this proves we should have played a strong team against Sunderland. Resting them for one game hasn't really helped, we're not going to finish in the top 4 and we're not going to have a trip to Wembley or win the cup now.

You think we would´ve beaten Chelsea 1,5 week from now with the status of our squad at the moment?

the resting them against sunderland has no right or wrong answer. no one will say they were wrong.

the club clearly had a policy that the league cup was no.4 and a way to get the younger players a chance.....rightly or wrongly

This isnt right though is it. Only Chambers and Redd started, the rest that did were squad players like Lee, Fox and Hooliveld who we all know aren't good enough. If we'd used 4-5 young players then that is fair enough but we didn't, we used two with another as an 80th minute sub.

This isnt right though is it. Only Chambers and Redd started, the rest that did were squad players like Lee, Fox and Hooliveld who we all know aren't good enough. If we'd used 4-5 young players then that is fair enough but we didn't, we used two with another as an 80th minute sub.

well. The club thought it was right. like I said, no one can win this arguement.

You think we would´ve beaten Chelsea 1,5 week from now with the status of our squad at the moment?

Why do those clubs become so difficult to beat when it is a cup game?

A few weeks back people could "see no reason why we cannot finish top four". Kinda need to beat the Chelseas of this earth to do that.