Fraser Forster ruled out for up to twelve months with a damaged patellar tendon

Saint-Armstrong

All the best Fraser, despite what many say you have been pivotal and it is beyond me how many on here have managed to say that your broken knee cap is the fault of your own indecision.... Still they are the first to say we have no quality back up keepers and either way I think you'd be the first goalie in history who decided to take an extra touch and spontaneously brake his knee cap as a result :mcinnes:

We shall soon discover whether Koeman thinks Gazza or Cropper are good enough. They should be as you wouldn't expect players to be kept here if they don't have first team potential. Artur returns at the end of the season so maybe there is some scope there.

We shall soon discover whether Koeman thinks Gazza or Cropper are good enough. They should be as you wouldn't expect players to be kept here if they don't have first team potential. Artur returns at the end of the season so maybe there is some scope there.

He's out of contract and I think that bridge has been burnt a long time ago.

Defo will need a new no 2 keeper in the summer as they will quite possibly play as a no 1 for a decent portion of the early season.

Out of interest, when I had a minor knee injury last year the physio said broken kneecap is the worst knee injury pain wise, after injury and during rehab.

Don't envy him one bit. Massive blow.

We shall soon discover whether Koeman thinks Gazza or Cropper are good enough.

They should be as you wouldn't expect players to be kept here if they don't have first team potential. Artur returns at the end of the season so maybe there is some scope there.

Gazzaniga (23) is no great shakes, even at U21 level, I'd still think I'd prefer Kelvin Davis at the moment.

Cropper has been sharing U21 games with PG , and I think we should keep him in preference....except that Gazzaniga (reputedly cost us £2million :scared: )

I watched the replay several times....

...Vokes ran in, as if to challenge ....but there was no actual contact and Forster tried to avoid him and went down under his own weight.

Interesting, thanks. Thought so. I've heard of people fracturing bones because the underlying muscle has contracted so violently. But usually it requires a direct blow.

Cue Saintsweb Medical Experts: Seems a v.long time for this kind of Injury

I actually broke my kneecap in May 1969. I landed directly on my kneecap while trying to steal home in the top of the first inning of the first game of the season while playing Little League Baseball.

I had to wear a cast for 6 weeks and was not really allowed or able to run around like a normal kid for another six weeks after that. However, if I was rehabilitating like a modern professional athlete I would have been back in much less than six months. On the other hand, his knee cap break might very well be worse than mine in how it affected the surrounding tissue. I did suffer intermittent minor to moderate pain in the years since then although not much in the past 15 years.

I will be back with more information if any of our players come down with minor lower back pain or Ossgood-Schlatter's disease.

Edited by Redslo

Very unfortunate and such a freak accident, even more so for a keeper. It did look like his knee had gone completely in the pics from the game, completely indented.

6 months makes it a tough call for the club, what level of replacement in the summer do they bring in.

IN terms of next season's back up, it might be a blessing in disguise as it could gurantee a good level back up to Forster once he's fit again.

IN terms of next season's back up, it might be a blessing in disguise as it could gurantee a good level back up to Forster once he's fit again.

This is a good point and it will also depend how Davis does - although if we are serious about pushing on then clearly we need a better backup keeper.

Edited by Saint Charlie

This is a good point, and it will also depend how Davis does, although if we are serious about pushing on then clearly we need a better backup keeper.

Clearly, Forster has been deemed our long-term no.1 gk. Assuming reports are correct, not really sure whether him coming back in September, a month into the new season, is substantially going to change the cost-benefit analysis of an incoming keeper.

Bad news if true, gives Kelvin Davies a final swansong that I don't think many including him thought he would! Hope any mistakes he makes don't cost us dearly as he's been a decent servant even in the dark days when he fell out massively with our fans at Sheffield Wednesday when we were stuffed and he spent the whole game diving over the ball.

Doesn't really change much for the summer we needed a new number two and we still do I'm sure the club were always looking for someone with quality and this should make it easier to get someone in as they will get an immediate opportunity and if they do well who is to say Forster would get back in?

6 months is *only* 6 weeks of this and 4 weeks of next season, not as bad as it could have been.

Granted, they're a massive 6 weeks!

Does not sound too bad when you think about it. Hopefully he will miss what... First 5 games of next season. Not bad considering worst fears

Clearly, Forster has been deemed our long-term no.1 gk. Assuming reports are correct, not really sure whether him coming back in September, a month into the new season, is substantially going to change the cost-benefit analysis of an incoming keeper.

Agreed. Unless we think Gazza or Cropper are PL quality keepers (unlikely IMO) then we needed to sign one in the summer anyway, really.

How on earth has he broken his knee cap anyway without any trauma? Very odd. Looked more like a twist or ligament issue.

Get well soon.

It should do if Davis is crap over the next few games.

Especially with European games early in the season.

He's older than Davis but Schwarzer has been very good over the last couple of seasons.

These types, Given, Friedel, Schwarzer are good no2 keepers because they are old enough to be happy with playing a few games and prolonging their career but also good enough that in their peak they were top PL keepers. Thats where they differ from Davis.

Cech?

Almost think we should give Gazza a chance, if he is ever going to be good enough, then he needs a few games in the first team - if not good enough then get rid this summer.

However - it's always a real worry if you start the season badly - sure there must be a few out of contract keepers this summer who would join on a short term basis.

With such an injury, is recovery relatively straight forward and easy to plan for (albeit long and painful), or is there plenty of scope for set backs, extensions of time etc?

Too many variables to know I think - whether it needs surgery or just immobilising, and whether there is damage to surrounding tissues and the extent of that, if any. When Saints comment on it they might give more of an indication, but as with Jay (and even Toby recently) you never quite know.

Petre Chech please as the new number one keeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope you aren't being serious, but I have a feeling you are.

Cech would require huge wages. Plus as Forster may only miss the end of this season and the beginning of next we won't be signing a first choice keeper, because when Forster returns he'll be number one again.