Fraser Forster ruled out for up to twelve months with a damaged patellar tendon

Saint-Armstrong

We shall soon discover whether Koeman thinks Gazza or Cropper are good enough. They should be as you wouldn't expect players to be kept here if they don't have first team potential. Artur returns at the end of the season so maybe there is some scope there.

He's not been listed on the Player List produced after the January transfer window, so short of the following things happening:

1) Bournemouth not being in the Playoffs and therefore Boruc being available to play for Saints, as he can't be recalled before the end of their season.

2) Saints actually wanting to field a loony who burned his bridges with the club and has literally no reason to want to play, and who is out of contract shortly after with the potential of no consequences for his actions.

3) Saints getting around the fact he's not on the player list by (if necessary) cancelling his contract and re-signing him as an out-of-contract player, which is only possible because Saints have only 20 of the allowed 25 players on the list.

4) There not being an end of season registration deadline (end of March used to be the time that happened, before transfer windows existed, and even now I think there's a FL period when loans can no longer take place due to the registration cut-off).

This is a bit of a disaster to say the least. I'd say this will be on par/similar to the Jay injury, I wouldn't expect to see him next season what so ever.

If I had written this Clarkey then I would get hammered by Roger (hello!) etc for being way too negative.

Massive blow but surely he will feature next season at some stage.

Certainly need to bring in a proper keeper though.

Did Vokes collide with him? Couldn't see it clearly from where I was sat.

Forster slipped on his left leg and as you could see running MotD in slow mo, from the angle of his knee and where his kneecap was, got injured before there was any contact with Vokes, who basically tripped over his other leg.

I had the very same tear. It is very very painful & incredibly difficult to fix. Its a very small muscle, but intrinsic in keeping all the others aligned. Problem is trying to rehabilitate it. You have to strengthen all the muscles around it, but that in itself wont fix the problem. Subsequent to that I have had an Achilles tear. The patella injury was after cartlidge surgery. Its all connected.

My view is, is that the 9 to 12 months sounds about right.

POO!!!

Balls.

He injured those as well? Holy shit. :uhoh:

It's amazing no-one suggested a back-up goalie during the January window. But as they say, hindsight is 20-20.

Couldn't agree more with this

I am gutted that Fraser sustained a serious injury but he does need to look at and improve this part of his game in the future.

He stands too far back in his 6 yard box

Yes, something for him to seriously think about. 12 months from now.

If I had written this Clarkey then I would get hammered by Roger (hello!) etc for being way too negative.

Massive blow but surely he will feature next season at some stage.

Certainly need to bring in a proper keeper though.

Stop posting negative posts about other negative posters posts! ;)

I actually broke my kneecap in May 1969. I landed directly on my kneecap while trying to steal home in the top of the first inning of the first game of the season while playing Little League Baseball.

I had to wear a cast for 6 weeks and was not really allowed or able to run around like a normal kid for another six weeks after that. However, if I was rehabilitating like a modern professional athlete I would have been back in much less than six months. On the other hand, his knee cap break might very well be worse than mine in how it affected the surrounding tissue. I did suffer intermittent minor to moderate pain in the years since then although not much in the past 15 years.

I will be back with more information if any of our players come down with minor lower back pain or Osgood-Schlatter's disease.

Ha, I was diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter's as a kid, I was running a 100m and my leg just completely gave way for no reason. After 6 weeks in plaster a physio had a look at it and said actually my cartilage had popped out. He popped it back in and it was fine after that. :o

Oh, and my wife has a hairline fracture of her patella right now as a result of smashing it on the stairs at work.

The issue with Forster sounds like the kneecap popped right over to the side of his knee as he slipped, dragging the tendons with it. Plus he's got a LOT of weight going through those knees due to his size.

Awful news. Best wishes to Fraser in his recovery. Sounds like we'll be lucky to see him next season like JRod.

New first choice keeper needed now in the Summer. No idea who the club may look at to bring in.

I'd get someone with loads of experience ? Rob green?

Very sad for Forster, this is far worse than a broken knee cap, and it seems there is some risk of never making a full recovery. Wish the guy well. But it does mean that the Club will have to plan for the worst and we will need a new #1 for next season, whether that player is then seen as #2 longer term or not will be difficult o determine. We always did need a new keeper in the summer, now it looks like we might need two otherwise we will be in the same position next season as we were this, a serious injury away from being in the **** (due respect to Kelvin who is a proven great shot stopper, but in all other respects is not a PL standard keeper).

By the way, the thoughts of getting Cech is not as silly as some on here would suggest. He is stated today as looking for #1 role (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32055622), and perhaps a loan from Chelsea could be worked out rather than us having to pay full wages, which agreed would otherwise be astronomical. If we make Europe, Petr Cech might consider a season long loan. Probably unlikely but not as far fetched as some would have you believe (certainly not so far fetched that idiots need to label people as loons for suggesting it).

it really is

Butland to join in the summer? Young, English, knows the GK coach, etc

I seriously ****ing hope not. Should have gone for david marshall in the summer and better do this time. Failing that, Heaten looks a reasonable keeper.

Gazza has apparently been coming on along for the U21's, growing in confidence and stature. Imagine that for next season. Peeps would have heart attacks.

He'll be able to get a No.1 spot at Arsenal or Liverpool pretty easily I'd say, and those clubs are registered with an interested. I think he'll go to one of those 2. We obviously do need a top new GK, but someone of his level is out of our league.

dell-sized mentality.

Gutting news. After Jrod last season getting another long term injury in the squad is appalling bad luck. Tough situation sourcing a quality keeper to cover for the entirety of next season. If we could get a top quality keeper on a season long loan that might be the best option. Hard to buy the sort of quality when Forster will likely resume the first choice slot once fit.

FFS that long? Sod it, go and get a number 1. Let Forster and the newbie sort it out when Forster is fit again. Davis and (dare I say it) Gazzaniga have got our backs for the last 8 matches. Let's just hope for no collapses when Europa is still in our sights.

Lots of work for (hopefully) Koeman in the summer.

How old is dave beasant?

Might as well look at Dave Watson if we're looking at keepers that old, at least he's on our books already!

I've been looking around and Gerhard Tremmel is out of contract at Swansea in the summer, always looked quite solid, and at 36 won't keep Forster out when he comes back fit.

If you like. You could b be right about Peter Cech I suppos. As for the person being discussed your Dell sized mentality clearly presents you with a problem.

I am happy to accept that I am labelled with the "dell size mentality" tag for knowing we simply will not be getting a genuinely world class keeper this summer from Chelsea called petr cech.

Happy with that

Recover soon FF......now we aint done too bad with Jrod out for a year...in fact we have done better!!

The club will find a replacement in the off season.... who I don't know or wouldn't even speculate on a name

How many games has FF kept us in ??? Arsenal away ...we lost ...and Chelsea away... we tied. So as the defence will be the same in front of the goalkeeper........the sky aint falling.

How old is dave beasant?

56, and still eligible to play for Stevenage. He was on their subs bench last year. :o

Reckon we could persuade him to join us for a season, and probably cheaper than Čech. He was brilliant in Merrington's great escape year, almost single-handedly keeping us up.

Sorry Burnley, might have to steal Heaton And Trippier.

Even rob green could do a job short term. Or szycezny? He'll want a move soon.

I think Rob Green is a very good GK, certainly more than short-term. I just hope the club don't think short-term, they just need to buy a brand new, top class number 1 goalkeeper, with them aim of him being our new long-term number 1 keeper. We can worry about the competition and the fighting for places once Forster returns, and we don't even know what state he could return in.

I am happy to accept that I am labelled with the "dell size mentality" tag for knowing we simply will not be getting a genuinely world class keeper this summer from Chelsea called petr cech.

Happy with that

Strange, bearing in mind that when we WERE at The Dell our mentality was to sign probably the - at the time - best goalkeeper in the world.

Has anyone mentioned the Celtic goalie - Gordon?

I get the feeling he's playing there because they're the only ones who'll have him now - didn't he get out of the game altogether for a while after his injury and problems at Sunderland?

If we're looking at a solid, relatively short term solution who won't have a problem bench sitting but is proven in the Prem (and has been mostly good this season), I can't see Leicester needing Mark Schwarzer as backup for next season's Championship campaign - unless they sell Schmeichel. But then we'd have two old bench-ready keepers...

I think Rob Green is a very good GK, certainly more than short-term. I just hope the club don't think short-term, they just need to buy a brand new, top class number 1 goalkeeper, with them aim of him being our new long-term number 1 keeper. We can worry about the competition and the fighting for places once Forster returns, and we don't even know what state he could return in.

For the sake of the club, this has to be the way forwards. We need a top class keeper in next season and they can sort it out after that. There's no point going half arsed short term. And tbh, I really don't think they will.

But more importantly, this sucks hard, really hope FFs recovery goes well so we see him back again sooner than we think.

Can always sign someone in the summer on a 1 year deal or get someone in on loan. There should be plenty of keepers available.

Been reading of a strange case in Germany. At Mayence one of the keepers is out of contract this summer and the club didn't want to renew his contract so he invoked ordinary employment law in germany where a worker can ask to be hired on an indefinite contract (same as any other worker really) after 2 years service. The courts upheld his right to do this and now if Mayence want to get shot of him they-ll have to find a reason to sack him and no doubt pay compensation. Now if all footballers in Germany started doing that (if it was to their advantage) it might make a hell of a mess of the transfer system.