SFC statement

Kaiser Soze

I think he's obviously ****ed the club off a lot, but we do come across as petty as hell sometimes. I personally think we got what we wanted, if he wasn't going to commit, we wanted to look elsewhere. As much as it won't be reported, I think we took advantage of Everton's interested and called Koeman's bluff a bit. The fact it's taken so long isn't due to paperwork, I genuinely think he's probably been in a bit of a ''WTF do i do'' situation. We've obviously managed the exit to point all the blame at his door, when I think the exit was orchestrated as much by us as it was by him. Just my two pennys.

I don't blame the club for the statement. They were clearly expecting him to stay and sign and extended contract and then he did a u turn. It is his right to go after the money but I don't see why we have to wave our hankies at him and wish him a fond farewell. I imagine a lot of work has gone into planning for the new season and we will have to pick up with someone else now. I think I would be pretty hacked off if I were Les and the Board. Reading between the lines (and the statement wasn't too subtle about this) I would say that the statement backs up some the rumours we heard the other day and the club are looking to get back to their principles which seem to have slipped a bit under Ron.

Edited by sadoldgit

If he wasn't going to a rival i'd wish him well. Can't blame him for saying yes to becoming the 7th highest paid manager in the world. If Everton are going to throw stupid money at him then our hands are tied. It's because we have a wage structure in place that's allowed us to continually build up our team each season and improve year on year. When we break the model we end up with Osvaldo/Ramirez.

He got good results with us at the expense of our clubs ideals. Didn't play youth much, signed an old-for-our-standards player in Pelle who's our oldest signing since Boruc in 2012, Jos in 2011. IMHO the premier league is too competitive to be able blood youth and still perform well so it's something we need to get used to if we want to be finishing in the Europe places again. I actually hope this is part of the fabled "new direction" we've heard whispers of. The pathway from U21->seniors is unrealistic for a team aiming for Europe except for the truly elite talent. Copying the Chelsea model of loaning players around Europe is better and Les touched on this with a Dutch Affiliate team.

Let's not rewrite history and say he was pushed. The club say they offered him a new contract, he showed himself a liar, a mercenary, and took the $$. It's not an ideal position but with a new manager comes new ideas to learn and grow, new doors get opened (from Koeman we now have a lot of Dutch knowledge and relationships). I'm going to be optimistic and am excited to see who the club appoint as his replacement.

As for Everton I think we'll all have some shadenfreude if things don't work out. They talk about all their exciting academy prospects; I wonder how many of them get a shot. Koeman is under pressure now for results, he'll play ability over potential.

I think he's obviously ****ed the club off a lot, but we do come across as petty as hell sometimes. I personally think we got what we wanted, if he wasn't going to commit, we wanted to look elsewhere. As much as it won't be reported, I think we took advantage of Everton's interested and called Koeman's bluff a bit. The fact it's taken so long isn't due to paperwork, I genuinely think he's probably been in a bit of a ''WTF do i do'' situation. We've obviously managed the exit to point all the blame at his door, when I think the exit was orchestrated as much by us as it was by him. Just my two pennys.

I think its a good statement, we were hardly going to hang out the bunting and blow party poppers in celebration of his move. I think the club can be a bit too trustworthy at times not petty. Mind you even his agent believed him when he said he was staying!

If he has been in a "WTF do i do" situation it was through his own making, not the clubs. The offer was there, highest paid manager in the club's history, a 5 year plan he supposedly had signed up to, transfer targets identified and agreed.

Im not sure what points to the club getting what they wanted to be honest. I think the over riding decision was from Koeman and it was solely based on his bank balance.

The bit that interests me is that, as of yet, there's been no confirmation that Erwin and Jan are going with him. I think Jan, particularly, (and judging by his 'Tweets'), has really 'bought' into Saints.

He may yet prove to be the honourable one out of the three of them. Or I maybe being too sentimental.

I think its a good statement, we were hardly going to hang out the bunting and blow party poppers in celebration of his move. I think the club can be a bit too trustworthy at times not petty. Mind you even his agent believed him when he said he was staying!

If he has been in a "WTF do i do" situation it was through his own making, not the clubs. The offer was there, highest paid manager in the club's history, a 5 year plan he supposedly had signed up to, transfer targets identified and agreed.

Im not sure what points to the club getting what they wanted to be honest. I think the over riding decision was from Koeman and it was solely based on his bank balance.

Yes, I expect he was worried about the fall in the Pound after the Brexit vote and wanted to preserve his standard of living ;)

I would move sideways for 6 million quid a year so I do not blame him in the slightest.. nor do I blame the club for not wanting to pay that kind of money.. just one of those things.

I personally think this will work out better for Saints than it does for Ron but only time will tell.

the last line says a lot." Looking forward to working with a management team which shares our ambitions and values!" lol. Or am I reading too much into it?

My thought too -deffo a dig.

also the bit about "long term plan" - i.e. not someone who fecks off at the first sniff of a few bob more.

Good statement.

I tend to agree with this.

Koeman's line in public for much of last season was that he was happy to stay - to the end of his contract. He never really seemed that keen to extend his contract further than that, so I'm not sure really why the club are so apparently miffed and surprised that he wasn't prepared to commit when offered the extension (unless of course he was saying something different in private).

I think the club (quite rightly) wanted him to commit further than just a year, but he wasn't convinced, and then obviously the big offer from Everton came in. At the end of the day, if Koeman wasn't going to extend, I think the club wanted him out rather than having the uncertainty of a manager on only one year left, and all the speculation that would go with that through the season. So, the Everton offer actually suited us in many ways as it got us out of an awkward spot in deciding whether to dismiss Koeman a year early.

All this blaming the club...!!! The man was under contract, which does work both ways. If he wanted to see it out, he could have, despite the club wishing he would extend. He was not sacked. Quite the opposite, he had verbally agreed an extension to the contract (supposedly). He was the one that resigned. The club did not force him out the door.

All this blaming the club...!!! The man was under contract, which does work both ways. If he wanted to see it out, he could have, despite the club wishing he would extend. He was not sacked. Quite the opposite, he had verbally agreed an extension to the contract (supposedly). He was the one that resigned. The club did not force him out the door.

The club have done nothing wrong other than taking a man for his word.

Who's blaming the club then? Just questioning whether the club really have a right to be as ****ed off with Koeman as they are making out. I think when push comes to shove the club will prefer this outcome to having Koeman still at the club on countdown to leave at the end of the season.

The statement refers to our 'long term plan'. Can anyone remind me what that is? It would appear for the last several years our long term plan has been to exist in a state of permanent short term instability.

So you think we engineered all of the moves out of the club???

No reason not to thank him, he did a good job. Same with poch, he got invited back so can't be on that bad terms.

True. Each manager in the Liebherr era has taken us forward. The same goes for star players who have done their bit and moved on.

The king is dead. Long live the next one.

Save us from the mediocre characterless managers (and players) who overstay their contracts

No, I'm merely noting that we sell our best players are unable to keep hold of successful managers .... And yet improve year on year. It is a strategy that baffles others but plainly it works for us.

My question was ... What is our long term plan?

You are watching it in action.

Out of all the the personnel that have left us on bad terms he is the one I cannot stand. Insisted on going after 1 season, he is the type that would have gone on strike if we had tried to hold him to his contract.

Interesting to read up on Zlatan in that when he played in the same team as Lovren he was so irritated by him that he ended up kicking him in the head during training. Explains at last how his head managed to get to Liverpool before the rest of his body

Interesting to read up on Zlatan in that when he played in the same team as Lovren he was so irritated by him that he ended up kicking him in the head during training. Explains at last how his head managed to get to Liverpool before the rest of his body

He's never played in the same team as Zlatan from what I know??

No, I'm merely noting that we sell our best players are unable to keep hold of successful managers .... And yet improve year on year. It is a strategy that baffles others but plainly it works for us.

Keep,improving year on year on the field commercially and with greater brand recognition

He's presided over our best 2 years in the PL... Makes the club look petty and looks like it's trying too show they are p**sed off.

All it need was to say thanks for the last 2 years...doesn't even need to wish him well...

Frankly it would have been good if Koema n had aid something himself. He's a slimy money grabber who basically lied to us all so good riddance. COYR?

Frankly it would have been good if Koema n had aid something himself. He's a slimy money grabber who basically lied to us all so good riddance. COYR?

Yes indeed. It could all have been so different.

The club:

'It is with great reluctance that we have had to accept the resignation of our manager Ronald Koeman. We thank him for all that he has achieved for us and wish him well in his new appointment '.

Ronald Rat:

'I was very sorry to leave Southampton with whom I have had two wonderful years but at this stage of my contract the offer from Everton represented a new move for me and the club and I have concluded that it would be in all our interests if I accepted this new challenge. I leave with some great memories and I have nothing but the utmost respect for the staff at the club and, of course, the fans'.

But no, he just grabbed the money with two fists and ran like buggery before the door slammed on his backside.

winning CL ......with the manager after next...