Puncheon's interview - contract

NickG

We have really worked wonders with Punch, not too long ago he was a loose cannon with much potential but too much attitude. Stay or go we and Punch are winners out of this, any player struggling to achieve will see us as a great outlet.

The way the club has continued our development with not only the youth but the lads with potential is a string to our bow, Punch and more importantly SFC take a bow

He really isn't that great, but he's currently the best we have in that position. I'd rather we signed somebody better and kept Punch as a backup.

He's been one of our best performers this season!! Constant threat and he links up brilliantly with Clyne. What else would you like him to do?

I expect that both the club and the player are waiting until the end of the season to decide what to do. If I had a say I'd sign him up now on his current form. How much did we actually pay for him anyway? I remember it being a lot for a league 1 player at the time. Was it rumoured to be 1 million? Did it go down as an undisclosed fee? I really can't remember.

Edited by Saint J 77

:lol:

To be fair, it would have been interesting to see how Antonio would have developed in a winning team like ours, playing to his strengths. Reading stiffed him completely.

He mucked up a brilliant chance to make it 2-0 to Wednesday last Saturday, alone in the box, keeper nowhere and managed to get it stuck under his feet. Touch of a rapist there...

I'll admit it. I wanted shot of him. I thought he was a toxic character that would bring us down.

I was wrong, and the lad has shoved my words down my throat. Good on him.

Hope he stays now.

Yes, same here. I'm still a little suspicious of him as I don't think people change that much in a short space of time. But, as long as he keeps playing the way he is and keeps his nose clean, I'd definitely want him in the team. He's been very good this season.

Always been a Punch supporter myself, lad believed he was a premier league footballer and reacted none too well to being evinced by a boy wonder who was here today and gone tomorrow.Seems to have proved his point though.

What was his point? That he was too good for when we were in the lower leagues? Well then why sign for us then? What was his point? That he could play in the premier league? Well, so could AOC. In fact, AOC can play for England. He had no point. He was being an idiot and incredibly unprofessional. I'm happy to say that I want him to stay and that he has done well, but let's not rewrite history. He acted like a bellend and needs to make sure that he doesn't slip back into those ways.

Rate Punch this season but could be a bit like Adebayor, play well until he gets a new contract then feet up again.

Would love to be proven wrong on this though!

For me we should be signing Matt Philips or equivalent!

Not sure that Phillips or any other out and out winger would suit our actual style. Depends on how they are defensively I'd guess.

Lets face it, pretty much all of us wanted him out. He was great in 09/10 then never found any form in 10/11. For the 2nd half of 10/11 and most 11/12 we wanted him out and he wanted out but no one would take him full time. Even when we made up with him at the end of 11/12 (last season) he didn't look that great to me.

Really don't know where this great form has come from?? Not complaining mind.

According to the Echo, he was a bit more positive than quoted on here so far, from what I've seen:

But Puncheon declared last night that he wants to be back at Saints next season.

“I’m hoping to be, I’m happy here, and that’s the most important thing,” he said.

Puncheon would not disclose whether negotiations had begun, adding: “I can just say that I’m happy here and that’s all I can say, and what will be dealt with will be dealt with internally.”

I think he has grown up thanks to Cortese refusing to sell him unless the price was right and no club rating him highly enough to pay the price. Then came Puncheon's spat on twitter, the meeting with the Chairman and the second chance. This linked with Adkins and his coaching team developing his maturity into his football skills.

He will never be good enough for International duty but there is no reason why he cannot continue to ply his trade in the Premier.

As for a contract, he is being coy. I suspect Cortese has spoken to him and told him not to worry about a contract (that will come) but continue to apply himself. This is the way Cortese operates. He did the same to Adam Lallana a while back. Adam was happy to wait after the "chat"

I am in the fence sitting camp - I find him a frustrating player. When he is on song he is brilliant, how ever he still does have terrible games. He only seems to operate at either end of the spectrum. I also think he could do with an extra yard of pace.

I am in the fence sitting camp - I find him a frustrating player. When he is on song he is brilliant, how ever he still does have terrible games. He only seems to operate at either end of the spectrum. I also think he could do with an extra yard of pace.

But, for no extra outlay.. He is definitely worth having in our squad. Definitely has that prem ability. Maybe a tad inconsistent. But for essentially a free transfer. Can't see why we would not want to keep him

Antonio scored a very good counter-attacking goal against Hull for Sheff Wed on Saturday.

He's a good Championship player, lacks the technical ability to make the step up to the Prem though.[/QUOTE]

this is surely one of those phrases we could use about half our present squad. As has been said by many of us before...the gap between the Championship and even the lower end of the Prem. is considerably greater than the three league places that are exchanged every season. I expect to see quite a few more of our "not-so-old " guard who won't make the grade ...move back there before the summer, one way or another.......

I saw him at Barnet many years ago and knew he was going places, hence regularly suggesting him on the HCDAJFU thread. I've backed him ever since he came - how could I not - and I'm glad his ability is starting to be recognised by pretty much everyone now, after several years of trying to explain what he's good and not so good at. I'm also glad that he's grown up a bit and started to be a real team player. The arm round the shoulder has certainly worked.

Hopefully everyone now knows that he's not a flying winger, he doesn't have pace, he will almost always cut inside onto his one foot (but that means when he does go outside it's a complete surprise to the fullback and often gets him in), he isn't the best shooter in the world, he does tackle, though no Souness, he has great body strength to shield the ball, a fantastic first touch and real composure that means he keeps possession and that helps us keep the ball and take the pressure of our defenders.

Will a new contract see him sit back and enjoy his earnings? Maybe. If he's in the side most weeks I think he'll give his all. Give him a deal and then sign someone else who takes his shirt then I wonder if he'll fight for his place. I'm not sure why a deal hasn't been done yet. I bet his agent asks for more money every time they speak with the club, and why not, his stock seems to go up with every mention on MOTD. It will be interesting to see the result of any negotiation over the next three years. Will we rue signing him or rue not signing him?

Antonio scored a very good counter-attacking goal against Hull for Sheff Wed on Saturday.

He's a good Championship player, lacks the technical ability to make the step up to the Prem though.[/QUOTE]

this is surely one of those phrases we could use about half our present squad. As has been said by many of us before...the gap between the Championship and even the lower end of the Prem. is considerably greater than the three league places that are exchanged every season. I expect to see quite a few more of our "not-so-old " guard who won't make the grade ...move back there before the summer, one way or another.......

I'm really not sure how you manage to mess up every quote you do....!! Antonio is an average NPC player, nowhere near good enough for a team going for promotion or a prem side.

I assume Punch is stalling of the contract negotiation over a clause to get rid of that silver tooth! Makes him look like a right tit...

Permission to join your one-man club?

I think he's been great recently, working very hard and due a goal.

Agreed!

• 4 weeks later...
Would be criminal not to keep him after everything we have worked through.

He has quality on the ball and works hard, other players seem to like him.

If we dont keep him then 7 or 8 Prem teams would be keen on taking him.

Noticed a few people on the Utd forum the other day were saying sign him up!

Obviously that does mean a huge deal, but shows people are noticing him.

I've been a big doubter of the guy previously, but he has certainly proved me wrong this season.

Hope we keep hold of him. Really looking an important player for us of late.

Noticed a few people on the Utd forum the other day were saying sign him up!

Obviously that does mean a huge deal, but shows people are noticing him.

I've been a big doubter of the guy previously, but he has certainly proved me wrong this season.

Hope we keep hold of him. Really looking an important player for us of late.

They are also discussing Spider and Jack Cork. If we stay up I think NC mentioned in his interview the other week, the future looks good if we can keep the team together.

Puncheon has surprised and impressed me.

But if we go another spending spree in the Summer, I'd think he was on our starting XI we'd be looking to replace.

No doubt. Could take gulys place in the squid so to speak.

It's a squad game these days

Can see us getting in another defender, midfielder, attacker and forward

That will replace

Hooiveld

GULY

De ridder

Lee