De Ridder

edprice1984

Is now a good time to say I thought his goal against Reading was more hit-and-hope, than power and placement?! I half expected it to fly over the bar. Just me? Ok.

Anyway, thanks Steve and good luck. Just never had the composure and ability to make it beyond the Championship.

Two points:

1. Aside from the Reading goal, I'll somewhat fondly remember him for being so keen to impress when he came on you can guarantee he'll over commit to tracking down the player with the ball then when they push it past him he'll blatantly foul them to gain the easiest yellow card the Ref would have to give in any game.

2. Just speculating, but are we seeing a softening from Cortese when it comes to dealing with players who no longer have a future at the club? Last year we had loads of players who didn't have a sniff of first team football yet we hung onto them all amid suggestions that we either insisted on a transfer fee for them or wanted their wages paid in full in any loan arrangement. This summer in addition to the release of several players out of contract Chaplow and now De Ridder have left the club despite having a year left on their contract. Chaplow's was done as he requested a fresh start after a family circumstance, but the De Ridder one now as well suggests to me we may well be attempting to get rid of more salary - maybe in a bid to release space for another big signing?

So that's 11 players out the door already.

----------------FORECAST----------------

RICHARDSON--FORREN--SEABORNE--DICKSON

DE RIDDER--BUTTERFIELD--CHAPLOW--REEVES

------------SEIDI--HOSKINS-----------

Bit rubbish in goal, and up top. But not bad otherwise.

Didnt think he was as hopeless as some have made out, but obviously not good enough for Premiership. We've got rid of a hell of a lot of players this summer, but do think we need one or two more to ensure if we do get a cup run, we dont have to play the same 11-15 players every match. Good luck to Steve, thanks for your Reading goal.

2. Just speculating' date=' but are we seeing a softening from Cortese when it comes to dealing with players who no longer have a future at the club? Last year we had loads of players who didn't have a sniff of first team football yet we hung onto them all amid suggestions that we either insisted on a transfer fee for them or wanted their wages paid in full in any loan arrangement. This summer in addition to the release of several players out of contract Chaplow and now De Ridder have left the club despite having a year left on their contract. Chaplow's was done as he requested a fresh start after a family circumstance, but the De Ridder one now as well suggests to me we may well be attempting to get rid of more salary - maybe in a bid to release space for another big signing?[/quote']

Looks like it.

You could understand the club's stance on the Championship-standard players a year ago because it was possible we could have ended up straight back down there a year later so it was worth keeping the core of the promotion-winning squad together (the hard-nosed stance made much less sense with the likes of Ryan Dickson who wouldn't have got a game in the Championship either), but now we've stayed up and are looking to push on, the fact is that we have a number of Championship-standard players earning Premier League wages. As a result, no Championship club is going to pay a transfer fee as well as those wages, so we're either stuck with them or we come up with a compromise.

I'd expect Hammond, Sharp and Forte to be gone by the end of the month, maybe Barnard as well.

I'd expect Hammond, Sharp and Forte to be gone by the end of the month, maybe Barnard as well.

Quite how he's lasted this long I'm not sure, but I'm guessing it's due to wages. That said, how could Oldham have afforded them? We don't seem to like letting players go out on loan without their wages being paid, i.e. Dickson and his little rant some while ago.

Quite how he's lasted this long I'm not sure, but I'm guessing it's due to wages. That said, how could Oldham have afforded them? We don't seem to like letting players go out on loan without their wages being paid, i.e. Dickson and his little rant some while ago.

Strange we gave him a new contract and then never played him. Kind of thing MLG says "Do you think NC would give him a new contract and then not plan to play him" when correcting someone. Illogical but it did actually happen.

Strange we gave him a new contract and then never played him. Kind of thing MLG says "Do you think NC would give him a new contract and then not plan to play him" when correcting someone. Illogical but it did actually happen.

So you're saying MLG was... Wrong?

Careful now Tokyo. Dangerous territory.

Strange that he played vs Welling this week..

I suspect he was making up the numbers.

36 appearances for us, 3 goals, one of which was away at Cardiff when we had already lost, sums him up really. Wasn't good enough in the champ (pomp at home where he was clean through in the last few mins to put it out for a goal kick for having the touch of a 5 year old anyone?) was embarrassing to see him come on in the premier league and has been sitting about the place about a year to long.

Good luck to him hopefully back in Belgium/Netherlands or L1 where he might be able to show off some of that potential.

I wouldn't play Butterfield in centre mid.

Better than Pompey any day..:p

Looks like it.

You could understand the club's stance on the Championship-standard players a year ago because it was possible we could have ended up straight back down there a year later so it was worth keeping the core of the promotion-winning squad together (the hard-nosed stance made much less sense with the likes of Ryan Dickson who wouldn't have got a game in the Championship either), but now we've stayed up and are looking to push on, the fact is that we have a number of Championship-standard players earning Premier League wages. As a result, no Championship club is going to pay a transfer fee as well as those wages, so we're either stuck with them or we come up with a compromise.

Perhaps the club are scraping together every penny they can in order to pay Damaio's wages.

Never lacking effort and clearly had affection for the club and fans.

Best of luck to him I say...

Well said. I find a lot of the other comments on here quite cringeworthy. My Gran once told me if you can't say anything nice, its probably best not to say anything at all.

Clearly SDR has talent but for one reason or another we never saw the best of him at St Mary's. I think that is due to the fact that he was accustomed to a role where he ran at defences and had the luxury of relying on others to do his defending for him. The you tube video shows how he excelled in that role and his confidence soared as a result. At Southampton, we expect people to track back and SDR simply does not have defending instincts.

Combine that with the fact that we do not use wingers in the traditional sense anymore then his chances were always going to be limited to cameo appearances.

Hope he does really well wherever he goes. He never lacked effort. Unlike others, I think he could do a really good job at Championship level but it has to be a team that can supprt his style of play.

I suspect that, having had Bournemouth mentally paying all of his wages for half a season, letting him out to Oldham for a much smaller percentage of his salary (if any at all) probably wasn't such a difficult decision. Not entirely sure where he goes from here now, though, probably only Wolves in League One who could afford his wages but I doubt he'd be on their radar.

That goal against reading is all I can remember him for and that really tells the story, and his obligatory yellow card. At least we will never have to hear the awful “stevveeeee” chant again!

I still think Saints could have got some money for him though. How much did we sign him for? 800k rings a bell. Fans (mainly on twitter) are happy to defend increases in ticket prices with the argument “it generates revenue for the club to sign better players”. So surely we could have got a few hundred thousand for De Ridder. Admittedly this isn’t much, but publicly displaying that they are surplus to requirements surely reduces their value. Combine this with Barnard, Hammond and with the reduced value of Sharp are saints missing a trick? Or maybe it’s a case of clubs not wanting to pay relatively large wages for a mediocre player

Basically you only have as much talent as the opposition lets you have. De Ridder came from low standard football and his talents were sufficient for it. As soon as he got to the NPC the opposition just didn't give him the time he needs to shine. I'm afraid it

might be the case with some of our new signings. English football has the greatest density of good players in the world. A top NPC side could probably better a low level Calcio or Liga side on 9 occasions out of 10 just recently Midlesborough beat Bordeaux I think. De Ridder just wasn't good enough at our level of football.

Isn't the point with players surplus to requirements that it is down to cutting ones's losses or deciding to hold out for a better deal? Say SDR was on £10k a week, and his contract runs to July 1st. He would cost is around £500k this year, but whilst Steve pockets this money, he gets no games and his profile slips further, meaning next year he is in a poor position to try to get a new contract anywhere.

So, cut a deal, say get paid half a year's money, and look to get a three year deal, at, say, £5k. At the end of this year he is just as well off, but he still has guaranteed earnings for two more years, so overall is in a better position, and if he does well, there is a chance of an improved contract or another move. He wins every way, providing he gets a contract.

Now, the club's position is different. We forked out good money for him, which we'd like back, but each week we are spending good money after bad, so there comes a time when you have to think 'are we ever going to sell him'? If the chances are no, then it is in everyone's interest to cut a compromise package.

I think last year we hoped and expected to be able to move on our 'championship squad' but apart from a few loans, that didn't happen. So, with one year left on a contract and no likelihood of getting any sale, it comes to a point where a termination of the contract suits both parties, especially as the like of SDR clearly failed to step up to the needs of the Premiership.

Shame if you are the player, but the cheque probably softens the blow.

However, next time, as fans, we criticise players for wanting a better deal, just think about all those players we have cast aside as no longer required. It works both ways, sometimes in our favour, sometimestheplayer's.

Adkins simply did not trust him and because of that I thought he treated him rather poorly at times. Steve would come on have an impact on the game, but then not see playing times for weeks. When he did get a chance he didn't always take it of course, but you do need a decent run in the side and I'm not sure he ever got that. I guess our promotion shows that Adkins got it right selection wise, but there were a few games when I thought he should have been brought on and a few when I thought he shouldn't have been taken off.

Water under the bridge now. Hope he gets his career back on track. He's not nearly as bad as some make out. He just needs better direction in more ways than one.

Adkins simply did not trust him and because of that I thought he treated him rather poorly at times. Steve would come on have an impact on the game, but then not see playing times for weeks. When he did get a chance he didn't always take it of course, but you do need a decent run in the side and I'm not sure he ever got that. I guess our promotion shows that Adkins got it right selection wise, but there were a few games when I thought he should have been brought on and a few when I thought he shouldn't have been taken off.

Water under the bridge now. Hope he gets his career back on track. He's not nearly as bad as some make out. He just needs better direction in more ways than one.

He got 33 appearances in the champ season... (which is out of 46 league games about 6 cup games) decent stab at a run in the side from my perspective, even if most of his appearances were subs.