De Ridder

edprice1984

Most memorable moment for me wasn't the Reading goal, it was Blackpool at home when we equalised in injury time then De Ridder ran past the defence, had a chance to pass to Lallana who was totally unmarked in the middle, and instead f*cked it up completely and just nudged it out for a goal kick.

Most memorable moment for me wasn't the Reading goal, it was Blackpool at home when we equalised in injury time then De Ridder ran past the defence, had a chance to pass to Lallana who was totally unmarked in the middle, and instead f*cked it up completely and just nudged it out for a goal kick.

he'd obviously read the forum's opinion on Lallana's finishing ability.

Yes - it was painful :(

Signed by the chairman don't think Adkins ever fancied Steve, having never seen him play (thats a fact and direct from the horses mouth). Nice bloke, always made time to have a chat, final delivery was his downfall, never quite strong enough. Sure he'll excel somewhere else where. His Dad was a lovely bloke too.

His effort was undoubted but never felt he would ever turn a game for us when he came on.

Hull and Ipswich at home in the Championship he definitely made a positive impact.

The Blackpool miss was bad but a lot of players have moments like that. No worse than Lallana missing an open goal at Norwich this year, yet he seems more easily forgiven.

Was that the same game where he received the ball back-to-goal, turned his defender and put a perfect cross in for Guly to head in at the far post?

Never lacking effort and clearly had affection for the club and fans.

Best of luck to him I say...

Yes, this echoes my sentiments re SDR, who on balance played a part in our successful rise up the league.

Thanks, in particular for the Reading goal which was his crown and glory as it turned out, which set some really mental celebrations in place.

Adkins simply did not trust him and because of that I thought he treated him rather poorly at times. Steve would come on have an impact on the game, but then not see playing times for weeks. When he did get a chance he didn't always take it of course, but you do need a decent run in the side and I'm not sure he ever got that. I guess our promotion shows that Adkins got it right selection wise, but there were a few games when I thought he should have been brought on and a few when I thought he shouldn't have been taken off.

Water under the bridge now. Hope he gets his career back on track. He's not nearly as bad as some make out. He just needs better direction in more ways than one.

Yep, that too strikes a chord with me, don't think he had a continued run to cement a place, although you also felt that like many wingers he'd always be inconsistent and never play well twice in a row.

For a winger, I've never seen someone so useless when it comes to deliveries. And also so completely clueless with decision making.

There was a reason he wasn't selected or given a continuous run, it was because he was an utterly hopeless footballer.

For a winger, I've never seen someone so useless when it comes to deliveries. And also so completely clueless with decision making.

There was a reason he wasn't selected or given a continuous run, it was because he was an utterly hopeless footballer.

And coming from Clarkey that means you are really sh*t.

Looks like it.

You could understand the club's stance on the Championship-standard players a year ago because it was possible we could have ended up straight back down there a year later so it was worth keeping the core of the promotion-winning squad together (the hard-nosed stance made much less sense with the likes of Ryan Dickson who wouldn't have got a game in the Championship either), but now we've stayed up and are looking to push on, the fact is that we have a number of Championship-standard players earning Premier League wages. As a result, no Championship club is going to pay a transfer fee as well as those wages, so we're either stuck with them or we come up with a compromise.

I'd expect Hammond, Sharp and Forte to be gone by the end of the month, maybe Barnard as well.

Realistically, apart from the Championship player safety net mentioned, the situation has changed for the players too - whilst last season barely any of the players out on loan were near to contract ending and happy to take the cash for a season which they wouldn't get anywhere else, those players NOW are considering getting their next 3-4 year contract somewhere else and will be much more receptive to moving on permanently for less money over a longer period.

Lovely bloke.

Tried hard.

Ultimately not good enough.

I always used to use SDR as an example to Guly bashers in the championship. For some reason those Guly bashers loved SDR. Mainly because he tried hard and Guly didn't. Yet Guly actually made stuff happen and SDR didn't.

Hope he gets his career back on track.

Except he wasn't. Pulis was an utterly hopeless football. So were Darren Powell, Lee Molyneux and Zoltan Liptak. De Ridder just never fitted into our team and our way of playing. He had some talent but Saints progress through the leagues just overtook him.

I will always remember his goal away at Coventry completely emptying the Ricoh Arena for the last 10 minutes of the game.

Another stunning Adkins aquisition.

Give it a frickin rest you nobber!!! We all know you haveAdkins, since before his appointment. I can only specula that he knobbed your missus, or sister, or mother, which could be all three given where you live!!!

I am not unhappy to see SDR go, in fact it was more than expected. Tried hard. Good goal at Reading. Below standard for us. But, good luck to him in the future.

Give it a frickin rest you nobber!!! We all know you haveAdkins, since before his appointment. I can only specula that he knobbed your missus, or sister, or mother, which could be all three given where you live!!!

I am not unhappy to see SDR go, in fact it was more than expected. Tried hard. Good goal at Reading. Below standard for us. But, good luck to him in the future.

brilliant....after seeing that it just reminds me how fortunate I was not part with £5.

so many idiots on this forum now.

Adkins really made some ****e acquisitions ...face up to it.

I often thought he never got the ball he wanted played for him, there was no doubt he was fast but far too many times a ball to him was played behind him making him slam on the brakes to collect the ball which just nullified his impact. He got to the stage where when he did come on he just tried too damn hard to make an impact which just made him look ordinary.

I often thought he never got the ball he wanted played for him, there was no doubt he was fast but far too many times a ball to him was played behind him making him slam on the brakes to collect the ball which just nullified his impact. He got to the stage where when he did come on he just tried too damn hard to make an impact which just made him look ordinary.

Don't quite buy that argument. Lallana got the ball where he wanted it, so did Cork, so did Morgan, so did Chambo when he was here. The fact is that he didn't really know how to take up a position, find space or actually use space when he had the ball. Lots of blind alleys were formed when he had it.

He was a good enough lad, nothing against him at all, but there wasn't any talent there in my opinion.

A completely inadequate replacement for Oxlade-Chamberlain, (you could say we still haven't signed one, although Punch has improved) but in the grand scheme of things it didn't matter, as we still achieved promotion. Had he been with us as a youngster, I reckon we could've nurtured him into being the player we so hoped we'd signed when he arrived. Still, best of luck in your future endeavours.

Thank goodness we will no longer have to listen to those one celled loons shouting Steeeeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvv. Life gets better by the day.

No ....now we will just have LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Would have been remembered for his goal at Cardiff as well, if we'd bothered to turn up for the previous 75 minutes.

To be fair we absolutely dominated Cardiff that night until we had 2 brain farts and let Miller score 2.

Thanks Schteeve and good luck at Utrecht.

Your time with Saints brought back memories of a different time and place when we also played with quality Wingers.

The legendary Terry Curran, who in all his time with Saints actually managed to cross the ball once. But what a once it was, setting us on the path to the ZDS cup final at Wembley.

And of course George Lawrence, the greatest player to ever don the Red & White, from the shoulders downwards.

Yep thanks for the memories Schteeve and of course the goal at Reading

:lol:

I was about to make the same observation on page 2 when I decided to see if any bright mind had come to the same conclusion on page 1 ;)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2382296/The-Footballers-Football-Column--Simon-Grayson-Agents-play-huge-football-use-right-ones.html

The DVD player takes a bit of a hammering but I just shift that stuff off to my assistant and first team coaches. They get to watch a lot of DVDs over the summer.

But then again, at 43 I could still look a good player off a DVD. You have to be very careful and I’ve never signed a player off the back of that. I’ve either had them in on trial or fully recommended.

You have to go off the good recommendations in the first place to make sure you’re not being flogged a poor player from a video. There is technology in the scouting databases now that you can watch players from live footage all over the world.

Scouting Databases? :suspicious::suspicious:

What no more blokes in flat caps standing in the cold rain trying to look anonymous?

Edited by dubai_phil

There are a couple of things this mboard can learn from the De Ridder signing

Firstly, pace does not equal ability. Whilst some of fans seem to hero worship sprinters it doesn't mean they are good footballers

Secondly, De Ridder is concrete evidence that you tube clips are no gauge to base a players ability on

Signed by the chairman don't think Adkins ever fancied Steve, having never seen him play (thats a fact and direct from the horses mouth). Nice bloke, always made time to have a chat, final delivery was his downfall, never quite strong enough. Sure he'll excel somewhere else where. His Dad was a lovely bloke too.

So is it what you think, or is it a fact?

Firstly, pace does not equal ability. Whilst some of fans seem to hero worship sprinters it doesn't mean they are good footballers

Secondly, De Ridder is concrete evidence that you tube clips are no gauge to base a players ability on

True and true.

True.

re: YouTube -- It shows you what kind of player they are -- They just aren't an indicator of at what level they can do that at!