Ward Prowse Vs Grealish

rickylambert

Grealish looked out of his depth against our midfield when we beat them 6-1 a few weeks ago.

Grealish - 19 years old - 13 Premier League appearances

Ward-Prowse - 20 years old - 74 Premier League appearances

The difference in experience between them shows, plus Ward-Prowse is playing for a significantly better team and has stronger competition for his place.

I've only seen him at SMS and on TV for the FA Cup final. Neither was anything great. Typical press who seem to latch on to anyone and hype them up. Adnan Januzaj was last season's wonder kid and he seems to have disappeared, or rather player a bit part role last season. No such talk of getting him to be English and play for England. Guess it also happened to Chambers at the beginning of this season as well.

Not seen enough of him, at the moment I don't quite get all the hype. Seems to have been based around 1 game - the semi final v Liverpool.

Against us he was like a little boy against men. Totally out of his depth. Same against Arsenal in the final.

Don't get the hype around Grealish. Bang average every time I've seen hin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Villa just became an incredibly hyped team after winning a few games

lots of analysis over mediocre-poor players like Cleverly because he was in decent form

then we put them in their place...

Sorry, having a debate with a friend. Grealish or Ward Prowse? Needless who I say.

So far Grealish has had a lot more impact on the Premier League but anyone can look good over a short period as an unknown, it's how he responds to tactics dedicated to exploiting his weaknesses that will define his career.

So far Grealish has had a lot more impact on the Premier League but anyone can look good over a short period as an unknown, it's how he responds to tactics dedicated to exploiting his weaknesses that will define his career.

what an utter crock of shyte.

You're joking, right?

Nope, though actually I suppose his high profile matches were FA Cup ties so you could argue "impact on the Prem" isn't accurate. But he certainly has a bigger degree of media coverage than Ward-Prowse irrespective of actual performances, and he's a regular starter whilst JWP is still in and out of the side, albeit far higher up the League.

FWIW I think Grealish would be a far bigger miss for Villa next season than Ward-Prowse would be for us if they were both unavailable all season.

Of course but it's relative to the quilaity of the teams and the sqaud. Grealish from what I have seen is pretty average but to replace him villa only have 5h1te in the squad, yet JWP could be replaced by a number of good players.

Grealish is all media hype and I recall JWP looking very good on his prem debut against City.

Why is Grealish allowed to ignore the shinpad rules?

He wears little girls' Barbie ankle pads.

Which must comply with the regs or he woldn't be alowed on the pitch, personally I think he is an idiot and setting a bad example. One day he may regreat his decision as he is crried from the pitch on a stretcher sucking hard on the oxygen tank as the realisation that a compound fracture of his lower leg has possibly ended his career all of which could have been prevented by the proper shin pads he chose not to wear so he could look all cool and hard with his socks rolled down.

So far Grealish has had a lot more impact on the Premier League

I suppose it's how you define "impact"

If it's by media attention then yes, Grealish has had more of an impact. If however it's by contributions to team and performances on the pitch then it's JWP.

I suppose it's how you define "impact"

If it's by media attention then yes, Grealish has had more of an impact. If however it's by contributions to team and performances on the pitch then it's JWP.

If it's by contributions to team and performances it's neither of them.

Why is Grealish allowed to ignore the shinpad rules?

He wears little girls' Barbie ankle pads.

Which must comply with the regs or he woldn't be alowed on the pitch, personally I think he is an idiot and setting a bad example. One day he may regreat his decision as he is crried from the pitch on a stretcher sucking hard on the oxygen tank as the realisation that a compound fracture of his lower leg has possibly ended his career all of which could have been prevented by the proper shin pads he chose not to wear so he could look all cool and hard with his socks rolled down.

He isn't ignoring the shinpad rules. There's nothing in the shinpad rules that says how large the pad has to be, only this:

Shinguards

are covered entirely by the stockings

are made of rubber, plastic or a similar suitable material

provide a reasonable degree of protection

Read more at http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/laws/football-11-11/law-4---the-players-equipment#eQ6xwPiACFKorReA.99

So as long as his teeny tiny pads are covered by his socks and no-one decides he's not protected, he's fine.

In my experience shinpads are mostly useful for sliding on, and the ankle protectors for stopping you taking a chunk out of your own ankle when selling dummies at full speed. Their usefulness in stopping leg-on-leg impacts is pretty difficult to ascertain, and I've seen enough broken legs with pads on to suggest they don't make much difference to the really dangerous ones - though who knows how many they prevent, it's basically impossible to tell unless the pad snaps and the leg doesn't.

People saying Grealish makes more of an impact, but based on what? How many assists did each player get last season?

Grealish 8 matches 2 assists, JWP 18 matches 1 penalty 8 assists, which puts him 16th of all midfielders in the Prem last season for assists according to fantasyleague.com (though they're quite generous with their assists and Ward-Prowse is basically now on all set pieces when he's on the pitch which must help).

Have to say I haven't registered him having that kind of impact, it would be interesting to see which goals he assisted:

http://www.fantasyleague.com/Classic/Stats/Player/james-ward-prowse.aspx

West Ham (A) [i assume that was the quick corner to Schneiderlin, it was the second goal of the game anyway]

Newcastle (H) last minute Schneiderlin goal to make it 4-0

Everton (H) assisted Lukaku's own goal

2 v Palace (A) on Boxing Day, Mane's opener and Alderweireld's in the second half (another corner?)

Arsenal (H) NYD Mane's opener

Newcastle (A) the first of Elia's goals

Palace (H) FA Cup Pelle's opener on 9 mins

Palace (H) League Mane for the only goal of the game.

and his penalty against Hull.

1 assist and 1 penalty since we beat Newcastle up there on 17th January, which at least explains why people don't think he's been involved much, he hasn't really for the past 5 months, though he was better before that.

FWIW Grealish only started his first league match on April 7th and has 3 assists since then (one in the FA Cup SF) which is why he looks to be a hot prospect at this exact moment in time. He's got 4 assists in the timeframe JWP has his assist and goal despite being unused or a sub for the first 3 months of that time.

But in that same time JWP has been injured, had a suspension and not been a regular starter himself.

Just explaining how people are getting that perception, no value judgement being made either way here.

Thought Grealish was excellent in a huge game at wembley against liverpool. He has also scored from open play

JWP is far more reliable and more experienced

acid test, who will get a full England cap first

JWP Probably if Grealish opts for the Republic of Ireland.

Id have Jwp all day long Grelish is just this seasons Januzai he'll fade into obscurity next season those putting James down need to remember hes never really had a sustained length of games in 1 position and the short time he did he notched a quite a few assists

When we signed Ryan the Villa fans were hardly up in arms that we got him instead of a loan/perm back with them so don't think you can always judge the impact a player is going to make until they are teamed with better players tbh. The fact that Grealish was ineffectual against us and Arsenal is due in no small part to how cack the other ten players were! You could have had Messi in that Villa team and I am sure he would have been less than stellar. I think Grealish has the potential to reach a higher level than JWP; although that doesn't mean he will fulfil it. I might be being harsh on JWP as you sometimes forget his age seeing as he seems to have been playing for ages.