The Next Manager Thread

ally_uk

People seem to be ignoring the ****ing big elephant in the room, the takeover. New owners invariably want their own man in, so chances are he'll be gone after that anyway. I can't see the present board moving him on whilst any takeover is in the offing ,unless it's with the express agreement of potential new owners. If not, who would want the job knowing that they'll have new bosses soon, bosses that would want their own man in. If the takeovers coming along the line , I doubt Puels going anywhere before then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People seem to be ignoring the ****ing big elephant in the room, the takeover. New owners invariably want their own man in, so chances are he'll be gone after that anyway. I can't see the present board moving him on whilst any takeover is in the offing ,unless it's with the express agreement of potential new owners. If not, who would want the job knowing that they'll have new bosses soon, bosses that would want their own man in. If the takeovers coming along the line , I doubt Puels going anywhere before then

Agree with you. Looks like it's leading up to be 'yet another uneventful close season'.

I will just repeat what I said a few days ago... So Les is leaving then?

Appointing the coach is Les' job, so if the owners are going to start doing Les' job for him, why would he stay? Not to mention the the new owners "bringing their own man in", assuming the new man is not a DoF but a manager in the traditional sense, would mean doing away with the structure put in place by Cortese in League 1. I can't see that ending well at all, it is just about the worst thing they could do.

"Silva could be an option to replace Claude Puel if Southampton choose to change manager"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/05/03/in-demand-marco-silva-may-have-choice-four-premier-league-clubs/

No sources, just filler, but you know. It's on topic.

If the Telegraph article was by Sam Wallace or Jeremy Wilson, I'd certainly think it had some truth to it.

Less so Matt Law. He normally focuses on London clubs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4471012/Southampton-target-Marco-Silva-sack-Puel.html

and more. I realise that papers tend to copy each other. I guess there's no smoke without fire, and there sure has been an awful amount of smoke in the past couple of days.

I would have assumed that if saints had wanted Silva they would have gone for him last summer? it doesn't seem very Les/Black box that we've just learned who is after a couple of months at Hull when allegedly we track managers all over Europe and keep a short list of six at all times.

I would have assumed that if saints had wanted Silva they would have gone for him last summer? it doesn't seem very Les/Black box that we've just learned who is after a couple of months at Hull when allegedly we track managers all over Europe and keep a short list of six at all times.

Wasn't he one of the other managers we were tracking? Possibly even interviewed for the job?

No one really knows what goes on behind the scenes... Silva (I believe it was reported we were interested), could have been a target but Les / the board may have had reservations about him being relatively untested. Perhaps his time at Hull has shown he has what it takes to cut it in the PL.

As much as I'm disappointed with Puel, I don't think he'll go. If he stays, the club really need to back him. It's looking likely that we'll lose Bertrand and VVD from our regular starting 11 so we will need to get top quality replacements for these as well as other for positions we are struggling in (2nd CB, CM to play alongside Romeu, AM to replace Tadic, CF/FW to replace Jay Rod and Long).

Puel doesn't deserve to go IMO but if he does I think most would be happy to see Silva replace him.

The knee jerk brigade would probably keep at Marco Silva which would be ironic as he is a very negative manager whose primary instinct is to nullify the opposition and try and hit on the counter. After all the endless posts about Puel's boring football to argue the case for a really defensive minded manager would be just what I'd expected from them.

Not saying that he won't get results, I think he will but our football will not be entertaining.

The knee jerk brigade would probably keep at Marco Silva which would be ironic as he is a very negative manager whose primary instinct is to nullify the opposition and try and hit on the counter. After all the endless posts about Puel's boring football to argue the case for a really defensive minded manager would be just what I'd expected from them.

Not saying that he won't get results, I think he will but our football will not be entertaining.

Koeman was/is a defensive minded manager, however, his teams broke with pace and scored goals (a lot of them). From what I've seen, which is not a great deal in all honesty, this is similar to Silva, all be it without the mass of goals.

I'm not saying that I want Silva, although I would take him, just pointing out that exciting football isn't all about going hell for leather at the opposition.

For me, I can't see past Emery but obviously that would rely on him getting sacked from PSG and us persuading him to come.

I don't know what the fuss is all about with silva. He's done a good job with hull for half a season and suddenly he some sort of messiah.

Of course he could be great, but don't forget what we would ask of him is totally different to the job Hull asked of him. There's no guarantee he could do it.

Of course there are never any guarantees. That said I think Les gets unreasonable stick because before Puel he got the last three appointments spectacularly right.

No one really knows what goes on behind the scenes... Silva (I believe it was reported we were interested), could have been a target but Les / the board may have had reservations about him being relatively untested. Perhaps his time at Hull has shown he has what it takes to cut it in the PL.

As much as I'm disappointed with Puel, I don't think he'll go. If he stays, the club really need to back him. It's looking likely that we'll lose Bertrand and VVD from our regular starting 11 so we will need to get top quality replacements for these as well as other for positions we are struggling in (2nd CB, CM to play alongside Romeu, AM to replace Tadic, CF/FW to replace Jay Rod and Long).

so they went for the highly PL experienced Puel instead?

so they went for the highly PL experienced Puel instead?

That was in reference to PL experience, just in general. I think if you look at Puel's record he's managed some big clubs in France and has been around for a while, where as Silva has only managed a handful of clubs in relatively un-thought of leagues. Perhaps that swung it.

Even so, it appears, to some, they picked the wrong man ;)

Silva was spoken to last summer.

So likely were aren't really interested in him then. We could have given him the job a months ago and didn't. It doesn't seem likely that a few decent games at Hull would suddenly propel him to number one choice if he wasn't a few months ago.

So likely were aren't really interested in him then. We could have given him the job a months ago and didn't. It doesn't seem likely that a few decent games at Hull would suddenly propel him to number one choice if he wasn't a few months ago.

Or for whatever reason, Les thought Puel was a better fit, has realised he was wrong and is now assessing other options, including those he was impressed with in the summer but didn't give the job (because he thought Puel was a better option). If no1 choice was chosen and failed, surely that would make someone else then become no1?

Sky Sources....Hull head coach Marco Silva has a contract until the end of next season....but a release clause should Hull be relegated.

Would this be the first time in history that saints fans were begging to take a manger who had just got relegated?

Would this be the first time in history that saints fans were begging to take a manger who had just got relegated?

:lol:

In truth it won`t matter who the manager is because unless he wins all the time the usual idiots will be clamouring for him to be sacked too...

I will just repeat what I said a few days ago... So Les is leaving then?

Appointing the coach is Les' job, so if the owners are going to start doing Les' job for him, why would he stay? Not to mention the the new owners "bringing their own man in", assuming the new man is not a DoF but a manager in the traditional sense, would mean doing away with the structure put in place by Cortese in League 1. I can't see that ending well at all, it is just about the worst thing they could do.

How many other clubs are there where the owner passes the managerial appointment to a DoF. Did Cortese leave it to Reed?

History has told us that new owners bring in a new manager eventually. The Glasers didn't, but they inherited a pretty decent one. Personally, it wouldnt surprise me if Reed left as well.

How many other clubs are there where the owner passes the managerial appointment to a DoF. Did Cortese leave it to Reed?

History has told us that new owners bring in a new manager eventually. The Glasers didn't, but they inherited a pretty decent one. Personally, it wouldnt surprise me if Reed left as well.

I disagree. Kat pretty much said she will only sell to a new buyer if it's in the clubs interest.

Les has pretty much made himself (or so it would appear) irreplaceable at the club. If the new owner has any sense, it will be to keep the current structure in place, well at least until they get their feet under the table.

Comparing any new owner to Cortese is a bit unfair as he was a control freak. That doesn't mean the new owner will be.

Every club in continental Europe. Hiring and firing the coach is a key part of a DoF's job.

Given how close the points tallies are it seems a little simplistic to say one position is a really good season yet 3 points below is a really poor season. That way a good or bad season could all come down to whether you win on the final day. I'd rather judge it on performances, player improvement, tactics and how we look set to carry it into next season.

Spot on, a good post.

tbf if we miraculously say win 4 of our last 5 then I would be very happy indeed- who knows maybe we will start performing against the big teams suddenly as that will get the players noticed and they'll hope to move to one of them

What a losing cup final, 11th,8th &14th. I thought the perceived wisdom was that's failure

Press conferences were worth listening to though...

How is the hipsters favourite Silva getting on at home to the leagues worse side

he is a god and probably Carling are going to use him as their face of football

How is the hipsters favourite Silva getting on at home to the leagues worse side

Indeed. The hipsters choice masterminding a 0-2 home defeat against one of the worst sides in premier league history, who are already relegated in one of the most crucial matches of the season. Snap him up.

Not that I particularly want Silva but following your logic where does that put Puel, the guy that couldn't even beat the team that lost to the worst team in the league etc

What a losing cup final, 11th,8th &14th. I thought the perceived wisdom was that's failure

Selective and one eyed as ever. WGS as you well know took over the Gray debacle in Autumn 2001 adjusting to a new stadium and with a squad only just recovering from the Dell restrictions so 11th including a 4-2 win at Chelsea was pretty good. 2002/3 was one of my favourite seasons and we were higher than 14th when WGS left.

Mor selective nonsense busted. Ps - how did your fellow UKIP knuckle draggers get on midweek? Lol. My local Tory MP voted remain, sensible lad

Indeed. The hipsters choice masterminding a 0-2 home defeat against one of the worst sides in premier league history, who are already relegated in one of the most crucial matches of the season. Snap him up.

First time he's lost at home for a long, long time and already masterminded big home wins against teams a lot higher than them in the league.

If you've got half a brain you'd look beyond one dodgy result.

Still a quality manager.