PRE-SEASON: Southampton vs Beşiktaş - (17:30 BST)

Saint-Armstrong

Not too sure what changed towards the end of the game. Our possession of the ball for much of the game tiring them out towards the end? Think we made more changes overall, so would have had fresher legs?

Mayuka and Lambert were a more threatening combination than Lallana and Rodriguez who tried hard, but lack any cutting edge of killer instinct around goal.

Good god their fans are awesome

They're doing my head in, they make exactly the same noise no matter what's happening, if they score, if we score, if someone chins the ref it's just continual woah-woah-woah-woah-woah-wooooah clap clap clap.

Just played better when Lambert added a focal point to the attack and Punch and Isgrove injected some movement and energy out wide. In the first half JWP and Guly didn't look capable of creating a chance.

Decent win against a good side but overall performance patchy.

Would imagine Besiktas wouldn't have been too happy with their own performance either based on the standard their supposed to be at. Thought we were worth the win over the full 90.

They're doing my head in, they make exactly the same noise no matter what's happening, if they score, if we score, if someone chins the ref it's just continual woah-woah-woah-woah-woah-wooooah clap clap clap.
Yeah, why I hate foreign support/ultras etc, same repetitive, monotonous droning sound regardless if they're 4-0 up or 4 down.

Just a pre-season game so not worthwhile commenting on individuals in my opinion but a few things to note about the team as a whole:

1. Our distribution from the back still isn't good enough. I don't know if it is a player quality issue (either passing from defenders or movement from midfielders) but it doesn't seem too hard to defend against.

2. I still don't think we move the ball anywhere near quick enough in the final third when we win it back high up the pitch. I don't know if it is a confidence issue or some of the players just aren't quick enough carrying the ball.

3. Our opponents were comfortably our equals today but they tired quickly in the final 20mins and our lads looked like they had plenty left in the tank. I think we made more subs than them but they start their season the same weekend we do and we looked miles fitter than them.

Game was quite niggly for a friendly, but always fun to see a bit of aggro on the pitch. Particularly enjoyed Puncheon getting clattered and shoved in his face, only for him to follow it up 2mins later by completely taking out said player. Plus was fun seeing the reaction of the Turkish midfielder when he tried to square up to Wanyama :lol:

Agree with most of the rest of you - rather toothless for 70-odd minutes and then bossed it. Mayuka, Lovren and Davis all had meaningful impacts (although Davis probably should have cut the ball back for a simple tap in rather than attempting that lob). Top finishes from Mayuka and Lambert. Would be delighted to see Mayuka step up next season; so much pace and looks far less lightweight these days. Could be a great foil for Lambert, especially with Rickie dropping deeper.

Some strange selections which you can put down to experimentation but which disrupted the flow of the game.

Jrod showed again why I don't think he can lead the line - whoever we bring in has to be able to hold up the ball like Lambert. Think Osvaldo is better than Damaio in that regard.

The game also showed how dependent on Clyne or Shaw for movement and directness. Our midfield isn't going to do it alone. Time for Ramirez to step up.

Their support ****es on ours from a great height though, lets be honest.

If by "being honest", you mean heralding a bunch of people chanting the same thing endlessly without giving a toss about what's happening in the match, I'd agree.

It was a bit like watching football, whilst listening to an unimaginative, disinterested one-note black gospel choir wandering around within hearing distance.

And where have I mentioned Morgan?
For what it's worth I thought Schneiderlin was a bit below par and anonymous. Know is doesn't matter yet, but if we're looking at individual players we livened up and had more energy when he went off.

Still none the wiser how we line up come the 17th in lots of positions.

If by "being honest", you mean heralding a bunch of people chanting the same thing endlessly without giving a toss about what's happening in the match, I'd agree.

It was a bit like watching football, whilst listening to an unimaginative, disinterested one-note black gospel choir wandering around within hearing distance.

It was a bit like that I guess, but it also sounded like the moronic pikeys from down the road, noisy, empty headed Turkish impersonators of the Skate barstewards !

Grrr....

Very good result against a CL team. Solid in the first half although lacked In the final third especially without Clyne and Shaw. jWP lost out wide and Adam anonymous. Second half- who gave VW the multi pack of McCoys deep ridge crisps....... As a CM he is a very good sidescreen. Much better with pace up front and superb finishes by Mayuka and Lambert.

Comfortable in possesion for most of the game, but disinterested going forward. As soon as they scored we woke up and started having a go. Missed Lloyd's goal but 2 quality strikes and glad to see all three players get off the mark.

low key game but a good test and work out.

Looking forward to Alpine's well balanced and informative report.

Or has witnessing a Saints victory in person caused the poor chap to explode!? :D

No, but my voice has gone. Maybe you heard us ? I'd like to think we helped to make the third goal.

My verdict on today :

Boruc is #1 goalie. No doubt in my mind.

Fox, Jos, Fonte and Chambers did very well, imo. Chambers getting better with every game, Jos's distribution still pants.

Still to be convinced by Ward-Prowse.

Cork did better in the first half than the second. He also gave the ball away for their goal. IMO Clynes backup is now Chambers, not Cork.

Morgan has had better games than this. And needs to keep his mouth shut with the refs.

Wanyamma was again a rock, winning stuff in the middle. A bit impetuous, and maybe didnt run back a couple of times when he should have, but really he brings so much to the middle. We havent had someone like him since Jimmy Case.

Rickie had a poor, poor game until his goal. When he scored, we were transformed. He carries so much of the spirit of the team, they look to him.

J-Rod worked hard and kept them on their toes, scared them a couple of times.

Adam was better in the middle today, but it still looks a bit like style over substance. But he was better than Wedensday.

Isgrove - one to watch. We want pace, he's got it.

S. Davis is turning into the new Matt Oakley for me. Not high profile, but adds a lot to the team as a unit.

Overall, we looked much better than Wednesday, but how much of that was due to the opposition ?

Besiktas fans - mad as a box of frogs. Never felt in any danger though. And as I said, Andy Durman sent a group with a drum away with a flea in their collective ear without any comeback.

Didnt like NCs green shorts...

No, but my voice has gone. Maybe you heard us ? I'd like to think we helped to make the third goal.

My verdict on today :

Boruc is #1 goalie. No doubt in my mind.

Fox, Jos, Fonte and Chambers did very well, imo. Chambers getting better with every game, Jos's distribution still pants.

Still to be convinced by Ward-Prowse.

Cork did better in the first half than the second. He also gave the ball away for their goal. IMO Clynes backup is now Chambers, not Cork.

Morgan has had better games than this. And needs to keep his mouth shut with the refs.

Wanyamma was again a rock, winning stuff in the middle. A bit impetuous, and maybe didnt run back a couple of times when he should have, but really he brings so much to the middle. We havent had someone like him since Jimmy Case.

Rickie had a poor, poor game until his goal. When he scored, we were transformed. He carries so much of the spirit of the team, they look to him.

J-Rod worked hard and kept them on their toes, scared them a couple of times.

Adam was better in the middle today, but it still looks a bit like style over substance. But he was better than Wedensday.

Isgrove - one to watch. We want pace, he's got it.

S. Davis is turning into the new Matt Oakley for me. Not high profile, but adds a lot to the team as a unit.

Overall, we looked much better than Wednesday, but how much of that was due to the opposition ?

Besiktas fans - mad as a box of frogs. Never felt in any danger though. And as I said, Andy Durman sent a group with a drum away with a flea in their collective ear without any comeback.

Didnt like NCs green shorts...

Many thanks. I didn't see the game today, life got in the way. Good to hear that there were so many positives.

Really am hoping that Isgrove is more of a Lallana in terms of his future then a Reeves.

It was a bit like that I guess, but it also sounded like the moronic pikeys from down the road, noisy, empty headed Turkish impersonators of the Skate barstewards !

Grrr....

Are you saying they all talked with subtitles & dressed like Hitler?

Oh wrong thread.

Interestingly our "2ndish" string held a CL team more advanced in their preparations for 45 minutes. Sure we created nowt but no Danny Fox moments. That's as impressive as the final score.

Onwards & upwards, creativity needed in front of the box and we could look ready to start the season.

Cue Gaston

Are you saying they all talked with subtitles & dressed like Hitler?

Oh wrong thread.

Interestingly our "2ndish" string held a CL team more advanced in their preparations for 45 minutes.

Not sure how much more advanced in their preparations they are, as their season starts the same time as ours? Anyone know if their team was at full strength? They looked poor.

Cheers for the summary Alps - you have changed for the better of late!

From the stream thought Punch made an impact too.

38 degree temps may explain the low tempo from both sides at times!

Forgot Punch - yeah, he was good again. IMO, if Isgrove and Chambers are really stepping up to the plate, we really only have to worry about a CB, and maybe, just maybe, we are alright without them if either Jos or Jose sharpens up a bit.

Question is, how to give Chambers and Isgrove a really good go at it in competitive games, without risking firmly entrenching ourselves in the relegation zone if it goes somehow wrong ?

Forgot Punch - yeah, he was good again. IMO, if Isgrove and Chambers are really stepping up to the plate, we really only have to worry about a CB, and maybe, just maybe, we are alright without them if either Jos or Jose sharpens up a bit.

Question is, how to give Chambers and Isgrove a really good go at it in competitive games, without risking firmly entrenching ourselves in the relegation zone if it goes somehow wrong ?

Let's see on Chambers and Isgrove - people were frothing at the gash following JWP's performance against Ajax and others last preseason. It turned out that he wasn't ready - it'll be obvious very quickly whether these two are ready.

There's little risk with giving them taster unless MP does what NA did with Gazza...