Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

if that is the case, then I am not sure Storrie would still be around, unless he is f***ing stupid, blind, ignorant etc etc. But it does make sense, as where has the money raised from the players sold in the summer gone to? It doesn't seem to have lessened the overall debt, so that might tie in with your thoughts. But why would Storrie be upset that one Arab bought it over his preferred choice, or is this all a front as well? And where does the Hong Kong guy fit into all of this? Has he just p***ed away £15m?

If HMRC think that this is happening, I imagine that they will freeze the "assets" of the club, at least until they get paid, whether there is a court hearing in February or not.

I don't blame any Saints fan who is amused by the goings on at Fratton park, I also totally get why any Saints fan would like to see this as the beginning of a downward spiral that quickly establishes Saints as the highest placed team again. I don't get the OTT vitriol and the wishing of extinction on your rivals, it makes no sense to me? Sure I know a few Pompey fans who hold extreme views regarding all things Saints, fans who gloated at your predicament and wished for the end of SFC. I must say these Pompey fans don't tend to be the kind of people I generally associate with as they tend to be really, really thick. I don't say this to be in any way provocative, it's just an observation. It's quite a leveller for me to see so many Saints fans mirroring the desires of their intellectual equivalents on the Blue side. I genuinely always made the generalisation (I know I shouldn't) Saints fans as a collective, had a slightly higher intelligence level, yet again it would seem i've got it wrong. :(

Pompey need to sort themselves out, bottom of the premiership, transfer embargo, owe millions to other clubs, can't pay their own players on time, can't pay the taxman, can't fill their stadium. It's a fiasco! I hope they do sort it out though(eventually at the last minute :D), wouldn't want someone to lose their club :)

I don't blame any Saints fan who is amused by the goings on at Fratton park, I also totally get why any Saints fan would like to see this as the beginning of a downward spiral that quickly establishes Saints as the highest placed team again. I don't get the OTT vitriol and the wishing of extinction on your rivals, it makes no sense to me? Sure I know a few Pompey fans who hold extreme views regarding all things Saints, fans who gloated at your predicament and wished for the end of SFC. I must say these Pompey fans don't tend to be the kind of people I generally associate with as they tend to be really, really thick. I don't say this to be in any way provocative, it's just an observation. It's quite a leveller for me to see so many Saints fans mirroring the desires of their intellectual equivalents on the Blue side. I genuinely always made the generalisation (I know I shouldn't) Saints fans as a collective, had a slightly higher intelligence level, yet again it would seem i've got it wrong. :(

I don't think that it has too much to do with intellect to be honest. As you have rightly said there is probably not a lot of difference between the two sets of fans. You would probably find that there is not a lot of difference between the fans of the 96 clubs in the league if truth be known. We are no worse or better than one another - but individually we want different outcomes and there are those that are errr fanatical to say the least.

Me personally - as I have stated many times here, I want you to survive. Whilst we can have some fun gloating at your current predicament, the bigger picture is bleak for smaller clubs, you are just the tip of the iceburg. Football is being driven to the wall - look at the Premier League and find a club that isn't in debt to some level. Some teams are in there for 100s of millions - it is not sustainable, as you have found out to your cost. If you go under and cease to exist than the Premier League has a lot to answer for. They should be monitoring clubs to ensure that they are operating within their limits. If they had done so in your case then they would not only have protected you - but they would have gone some way to protecting those clubs the you owe money to such as Watford.

Don't get me wrong - I am not saying that Pompey are not responsible for the mess that they currently find themselves in - they are, but others should have taken action sooner. I think that the FA have a duty of care to thier members to advise them when they see spending at levels that are not appropriate to club size.

You now have one almighty problem though - as many have recognised here, attracting an investor to the club with your current infrastructure is likely to be very very difficult. The level of investment needed to 'repair' Pompey is massive and the only real tangible asset is your current League status - if that goes, your chances of substantial investment nose dives. You only have to look at recent cases such as Darlington - recently invested in, brand new stadium, probably out of the league at the end of the season.

There is still an outside chance that you could stay up this season, (I thought you would earlier in the season - but my optimism is waning a little now) but personally I think that would be a disaster for you. I think your best option is to try to stave off the administrators, offload as many as you can in the Jan window thus reducing the wage bill still further, effectively accept relegation this season. Take the parachute payments and give yourself a chance of sustaining yourself in the CCC as opposed to crashing through the leagues as we have done.

Your situation has kept us amused now for many months, none of us could have written it better had we tried - but it's now becoming more of an embarassment as the days go by. Personally I hope that the 'end is nigh' for you very very soon - but I don't want that end to be terminal. Good luck and see you two leagues below us very soon..!

Nah, most people don't want you to go out of business or even suffer too much. Similar levels of anxiety that we felt will be just fine.

Having come face-to-face with extinction earlier this year, I would not wish that trauma on any football fan. The fans are the very lifeblood of any club - without them clubs could not exist after all - and it is always the fans that are left to suffer the consequences of mismanagement. I would not wish that on you, nor any of your compardres (with the possible exception of Corp Ho, but even he showed the slightest glimmer of humility yesterday so there could be hope for him yet!).

Yes there are probably a very tiny minority who would wish liquidation on you, much like there were a small handful of Pompey fans who wished the same on us. But I fail to understand why any football fans would wish their rivals to cease to exist, because then there would be no rivalry to enjoy - because that's what the rivalry should be: light hearted and fun. I have never subscribed to the whole 'hate pompey' thing - in fact I received a lot of criticism on this board in the run up to your 2008 cup final when I stated that I would rather see a team from Hampshire win the cup than a welsh team, who shouldn't really be in the competition in the first place.

However, what I and every other Saints fan does want to see is us above you in the leagues. I'm sure that is all you lot wanted all the years you were below us (44 years wasn't it? :p). If financial meltdown and near insovency causes you to drop like a stone through the leagues and restores the balance of power in Hampshire then I will happily celebrate that, but I hope that you, the decent fans, still have a club to support when the dust settles.

I speak as someone who wouldn't care if you went out of business because that would finally establish my club as the biggest on the South Coast.

I used to be ambivalent about Pompey. As a kid I even spent the odd afternoon at Fratton watching the likes of Hiron, Milkins, NcCann etc.

Indeed my Dad used to cycle to Portsmouth just after the war from Southampton to watch the fine side you had then.

However both of us have been turned by years and years of blind hatred that has emanated from down the M27 towards our club. It has been bitter and nasty and I simply can't be doing with it anymore. For me now Saints v Pompey is an intense a rivalry as Celtic v Rangers and I bet not many of those two team's supporters would cry over the other's demise.

I do feel sorry for you, because you do seem to be a decent fan with a sense of humour - and no doubt there are others too - but I'm sorry I cannot conceal my glea at your predicament (just as I would expect Pompey fans laughed at us in the summer).

Whilst however I would welcome your demise, I would at least give you the courtesy of not dancing on your grave. I would take my hat off and offer a silent prayer "there by the grace of God".

Sorry but it would be hypocritical of me to say anything else.

Perhaps we should have a poll Mods.

Are you just happy to see Pompey in a lower position than Saints or

do you want them to go completely out of business?

whatever happens there will be a Portsmouth FC in 2010, the question is what division/league they will be playing in a year from now.

Worst case scenario from their point of view - full financial crash, new club, no ground, Blue Square?

Best case - new funding in January and they stay in the Prem.

not really, there is no best case!

I reckon they will end up in the championship facing continued financial woes and an inevitable relegation battle.

...Sure I know a few Pompey fans who hold extreme views regarding all things Saints, fans who gloated at your predicament and wished for the end of SFC...

A “few”?!!!!

There go my sides.......

Let’s be honest, most Saints fans have never understood the skates extreme hate and bitterness for anything from an ‘SO’ postcode (other than the few you accept from just over the border that jumped on your bandwagon – fickle skate ****s) which kicked in around the late 60s. Watching the skates work themselves into a frenzy at the mere mention of the ‘S’ word was source of great amusement if not a little bemusement. Whilst you barely registered with us we appeared to be the centre of your universe, bizarre.

You were our closest rivals yet we rarely played each other so while we carried on not giving a fugg about ya, your bitterness just grew and grew. If you worked together banter for most Saints fans was tongue-in-cheek, for the skates just pure malice.

Today most Saints fans that claim to ‘hate’ the skates is a result of this unexplainable hate sent our way, not some fictitious “dock strike” or any other bizarre story created to give some kind of justified meaning to your extreme behaviour. Some of our younger fans have only experienced this side of portsmyth.

You can dress it up however you like but most of us know it aint a “few”.

As the city of Portsmouth will have no Football team, who will you look to 'develop' a rivalry with? Obviously it has to be a realistic rivalry, ie not Spurs, or Palace or any other club that already has an existing historic rival? I guess there are other large clubs without meaningful rivalries, but none spring to mind? Maybe Bournemouth, they don't like Saints much either?

Hopefully with the chance of a fresh start it'll be a good natured rivalry as by the time I'd reached my early 20's the Viscious and spiteful nature of the current Saints/Pompey rivalry had begun to leave a nasty taste in my mouth.

Once again I find myself agreeing with you PES, as I've also said I want you to survive, just below us & suffer. After the gloating & p**s taking we had last summer. Then your just going to have to suck it up at the moment mate while we P**S ourselves at the Pompey Pantomime.

I don't really know what it was like before the early seventies, but it seems to have grown more vicious & spiteful from your direction though PES. We just seem to be reacting to it!

Seen this on 1 of your message boards PES anymore news on wages being paid? any truth in it? http://www.fansonline.net/portsmouth/mb/view.php?id=212688

I know that you should take anything on the rumour site with a pinch of salt but it still made interesting reading...

http://www.football-rumours.co.uk/

Scroll down to 'I work at the FA...'

My instinct is that this is total crap. It reads that the FA are calling in auditors and will press charges if any wrong doing is discovered. I'm not sure the FA has that power! It also assumes that Portsmouth CC will want to buy FP, while the club plays at H&W in the Blue Square - why would the CC agree to that??

No doubt we'll be seeing some developments in the near future, but whoever came up with that rumour is talking sh1te.

I think you'll find it's way more than a few.

Mods, a poll perhaps?

Not from my experience. From most of the Saints fans I have spoken to and from what I have read over the last 104 pages of this thread, it seems to me that only a handful of cyber-warriors really hold such an extreme view. I seriously doubt more than 10% would vote for liquidation in any poll.

TBF, I think that most of the crap that is spouted on here is rhetoric and banter. Sure, there are a few who do genuinely want to see the end of all things pfc but they are really not representative of the majority of Saints fans. Most of us have a really healthy dislike for the pfc mongs who always seem so bitter about us and want us out of existence. Maybe their dislike is rhetoric? I didn't think so about 12 years ago when, with my 18 month old daughter, I was 'accosted' by some neanderthals at Fleet services who told me I was 'lucky I 'ad my kid wiv me'. So you have to take a lot of what is said as 'what goes around comes around' type of banter. pfc fans, in general, have always seemed (IMHO) to hate us with a far more intense feeling than we do them. As to those pfc fans who are not 'neanderthal'? It's real sh!t, isn't it? to be in the crap like we were over the previous two seasons. Sure, we'll gloat, laugh, make comments but we need pfc for a dose of reality.

For us to realise that we are not the worst club in England.

Normal service soon to be resumed? Bragging rights fully restored?

Let's hope so, but let's also hope that you get over your lessons and soon end up playing us again. We look forward to those 'easy six points' every season or so when you make it back to join us.

Not from my experience. From most of the Saints fans I have spoken to and from what I have read over the last 104 pages of this thread, it seems to me that only a handful of cyber-warriors really hold such an extreme view. I seriously doubt more than 10% would vote for liquidation in any poll.

Try it and find out.

Of the 5 I go to games with, all sensible middle aged middle class types, 4 want them to disappear. The 5th doesn't care as he's from Wolves and thus hates them.

I know that you should take anything on the rumour site with a pinch of salt but it still made interesting reading...

http://www.football-rumours.co.uk/

Scroll down to 'I work at the FA...'

Portsmouth FC are in serious trouble...

I work at the FA and on the agenda for next Monday morning is a joint meeting with FA and Premier League Officials at Wembley Stadium in order to discuss their immediate future.

The finances at Portsmouth are shrouded in mystery, to say the least, and various personnel from the club including CEO Peter Storrie, Sueliman al–Fahim (not currently at the club, but his role in the financial affairs is to be looked at) and Ali al–Faraj.

Auditors from Deloitte Touche are being called in by the FA to go through Portsmouth's finances 'with a fine tooth–comb' and charges (including jail terms) could be given if they cannot account for where the money has gone (if it was ever invested in the first place!)

Should the club go into administration, which is very likely, the club will be deducted 20 points – 10 for actually going into administration and a further 10 for their financial problems to date (such as twice not paying players on time).

KPMG would then be employed as administrators in the hope of finding a buyer. One has to be found and all debts cleared before they can start the 2010–11 season (most likely, in the Championship).

If a buyer is found, and pays off the debts or agrees to a refinancing deal (which would involve selling all/part of the land at Fratton Park) then the club will be given permission to play in the Championship. If not, Fratton Park will be sold to the Council for a small fee (as it would be categorised as a 'going concern') and Portsmouth would have to restart from the Conference, ground–sharing with Havant & Waterlooville. However, they could only do so if Chester went completely bust and applied to join the FAW (Football Association of Wales) and were given permission to play in the Principality Welsh Premiership, groundsharing with Airbus (as they would not be allowed to use The Deva Stadium).

Fingers crossed!

I find it the opposite, virtually every Saints fan I know wants them to go pop. Definitely all the ST holders I know.

Wanna bet? and why is someone with that view a cyber warrior ?

stoofer9877

Stewards and office staff not being paid - Yesterday, 11:55 PM

They were assured before the game they would be paid ...... then message was passed round just before H/T that this wasn't the case and wages would not be paid tomorrow.

The majority of players and coaching staff however ARE being paid !!!

Kaboul, Prince and James have played their last games for us (as if we didn't already know that !!)

If they don't get enough stewards turning up on Saturday we'll be forced to concede the game in what could only be described as the most embarassing of situations !!

Source.....Pompey Online (and an anonymous tipster)

I just do not go for this entire tribal hatred lark. Surely anyone with a modicum of intelligence will agree with me.

Yes, Pompey are our nearest rivals and yes it is healthy to have good humoured banter and a wish they struggle on the pitch.

Because of the pain and worry we went through last summer it is natural we want to see our main rivals squirm a bit themselves. The bragging rights are with us at present and long may that continue. However, do the majority really want them to cease to exist? Do we really want to end the history of banter? Would Bournemouth, Aldershot or Reading be able to step into those shoes?! I think not.

I have many Pompey supporter friends, the majority of them season ticket holders. They are good people. Do they love to see Saints lose? Yes they will say with a twinkle in their eye.

I, with other Saints supporters who used to enjoy banter on the old BBC 606, agreed to meet up with a group of Pompey posters a few years back. It was an open invitation and most of us had never met before. It was a chance to put faces to posting names and raise a little for Charity. Over 20 met up, pretty evenly balanced between supporters. The day we met was the day Harry Redknapp was announced as Manager of Southampton! Plenty of banter, many a drink passed our lips and we won the table football for Saints, something we again achieved at a follow up bash. It was good humoured banter

Then there was the time when we were relegated from the Premier. A good friend of mine who always referred to Portsmouth as the “P” word sat down for dinner and was presented with a glass of Coke by another good friend who was a Pompey season ticket holder. It was accompanied, with a big grin and the words “you better get used to that from now on” He was told where to go but again with a grin and a twinkle in the eye

Posters on football forums do not represent the majority of the local population, not even the majority of the season ticket holders.

For every idiot who supports Pompey with a passion and disregard for others, there is a Saints supporter equal to them. But thank God they are in the minority.

I want to see Pompey lose, I want to see them relegated, I want to see them suffer the embarrassment and pain we had to endure but I do not want to see them cease to exist. Relegation will do for me.

Wanna bet? and why is someone with that view a cyber warrior ?

Only an observation on my part that a handful of internet messageboard users are the ones shouting for liquidation.

Out of interest, and I ask this of everyone who wants PFC to go out of business, is the fact that some of them gloated about our situation one of the deciding factors in you forming your opinion, or do you think you would hold the same view if our financial problems and administration had never happened?

http://www.fansonline.net/portsmouth/mb/view.php?id=212965

The OP,further down states not being paid has a serious ramifications for his finances,whoever they maybe i do not wish financial troubles on anyone.

The players will always walk away with plenty of money,the backroom staff however?

That is something I don't wish on anybody. I bet it wouldn't cost even a small fraction of what they owe other people to pay the day in day out staff. The people who cant afford not to get paid on time. These people should be priority number 1.

Thats the real thing being all of this, although we sit here and gloat about the pitiful state that Pompey is, it is the staff you have to feel for.

The players won't really miss a weeks wages or so, not on 80,000 a week as reported anyways. Even the new owners would probably walk away without being dented too much.

It is the everyday staff members that always get sh*t on when big companies such as this begin to feel the pinch.

PES, I think you're being too pessimistic about the future of Pompey, I can't see a chain of events that leads to Portsmouth being without a football club. Even if they do go under as a club, that happened to Middlesbrough and Bristol City in the 80s, those clubs stabilised a division or two lower. If Fratton Park was taken then it would be a little harder, but even AFC Wimbledon and Maidstone United are within 3 divisions of where they had once been. Saints and Pompey, in some form or other, to be rivals long after we've both shuffled off.

I live in Yeovil now and Yeovil Town's traditional rivals are Weymouth. You might say that it doesn't make sense anymore, Weymouth are 3 divisions below Yeovil and look like getting relegated again, but that doesn't matter. Despite some Yeovil fans trying to create a rivalry with Rovers, Exeter and Bournemouth you can't manufacture that kind of thing. Yeovil's biggest rivals are still Weymouth, and ours will always be Pompey, even if you fell to the Wessex League or something.

If SFC had folded in the summer and we had started up a Southampton 1885 club, wouldn't the first game between S1885 and PFC have been special, just like all the games we've played in the past. The corporate structure of the clubs involved mean nothing, it's a team representing the best city in Hampshire against a team representing that slum down the road.

Only an observation on my part that a handful of internet messageboard users are the ones shouting for liquidation.

Out of interest, and I ask this of everyone who wants PFC to go out of business, is the fact that some of them gloated about our situation one of the deciding factors in you forming your opinion, or do you think you would hold the same view if our financial problems and administration had never happened?

Bexy as I said in my previous post & PES alluded to. The Viciousness & spitefulness seems to have ramped up since the 1976 cup tie, don't really remember it before, but only really got involved supporting wise from 1975. I think as you say a lot is a reaction to that, especially on a a message board. Now I'm all for Taking the P**S & revelling in there downfall but ultimatelly would like to be able to thrash them twice on the pitch next season maybe even sending them down in the process. I see nothing wrong in that attitude.

This is based on a telephone conversation between the writer of the article and Gadymak on Tuesday.......

http://www.fansonline.net/portsmouth/article.php?id=1268#articlecontinues

So, reading that, Gadymak will ensure that they never go into administration?

So, why do people think that admin is an inevitablity then?

What percentage of Gadymak's overall fortune is his potential loss in the event of PFC going into administration? The answer to that may help deduce how genuine his 'I would never let the club go into administration because I couldn't afford it to' (or words to that effect) statement in that article is....

Edited by trousers

Bexy as I said in my previous post & PES alluded to. The Viciousness & spitefulness seems to have ramped up since the 1976 cup tie, don't really remember it before, but only really got involved supporting wise from 1975. I think as you say a lot is a reaction to that, especially on a a message board. Now I'm all for Taking the P**S & revelling in there downfall but ultimatelly would like to be able to thrash them twice on the pitch next season maybe even sending them down in the process. I see nothing wrong in that attitude.

Me neither. I think your opinion is probably representative of a large majority of Saints fans. What I can't undserstand is the attitude amongst some that wanst to see them pop out of existence entirely.

Whatever anybody's views on some of their neanderthal fans, most of us are capable of recognising that most of their fans are just like most of ours - decent, hard-working people who enjoy watching their local team - and don't deserve to lose their club due to the greed and unrealistic expectations of the club's current and previous owners.

To any and all Portsmouth fans all I can say is ... remember 2nd December 2003. The One Minute of Silence for Ted Bates when you behaved so shabbily.

This was the night you didn't just disgrace yourselves in front of a TV audience, this was when you put a curse upon yourself.

Once again though, you can't blame their entire fanbase on the peurile actions of a handful of their more moronic fans. I was at that game, and yes I was as angry as anyone at the time, though it wasn't entirely unexpected, but I recognise that in fact a lot of the noise was coming from their fans trying to get the idiots to shut up.

And plus, can you honestly say that Every Saints fan in the ground would have behaved impeccably had the situation been reversed? I seriously doubt it, because we have our fair share of idiot fans as well, as does every other club in England.

And plus, can you honestly say that Every Saints fan in the ground would have behaved impeccably had the situation been reversed? I seriously doubt it, because we have our fair share of idiot fans as well, as does every other club in England.

I firmly believe that Saints fans would have respected the silence if the positions were reversed.

I just do not go for this entire tribal hatred lark. Surely anyone with a modicum of intelligence will agree with me.

Yes, Pompey are our nearest rivals and yes it is healthy to have good humoured banter and a wish they struggle on the pitch.

Because of the pain and worry we went through last summer it is natural we want to see our main rivals squirm a bit themselves. The bragging rights are with us at present and long may that continue. However, do the majority really want them to cease to exist? Do we really want to end the history of banter? Would Bournemouth, Aldershot or Reading be able to step into those shoes?! I think not.

I have many Pompey supporter friends, the majority of them season ticket holders. They are good people. Do they love to see Saints lose? Yes they will say with a twinkle in their eye.

I, with other Saints supporters who used to enjoy banter on the old BBC 606, agreed to meet up with a group of Pompey posters a few years back. It was an open invitation and most of us had never met before. It was a chance to put faces to posting names and raise a little for Charity. Over 20 met up, pretty evenly balanced between supporters. The day we met was the day Harry Redknapp was announced as Manager of Southampton! Plenty of banter, many a drink passed our lips and we won the table football for Saints, something we again achieved at a follow up bash. It was good humoured banter

Then there was the time when we were relegated from the Premier. A good friend of mine who always referred to Portsmouth as the “P” word sat down for dinner and was presented with a glass of Coke by another good friend who was a Pompey season ticket holder. It was accompanied, with a big grin and the words “you better get used to that from now on” He was told where to go but again with a grin and a twinkle in the eye

Posters on football forums do not represent the majority of the local population, not even the majority of the season ticket holders.

For every idiot who supports Pompey with a passion and disregard for others, there is a Saints supporter equal to them. But thank God they are in the minority.

I want to see Pompey lose, I want to see them relegated, I want to see them suffer the embarrassment and pain we had to endure but I do not want to see them cease to exist. Relegation will do for me.

just the one? Not nearly enough!

bexy....I hate them

the way people from their support disgraced a mins silence to someone so dear to our club...the way the pleaded with WBA to score against them, wearing WBA shirts...laughing at our relegations, loving arry, hating arry, loving arry again...buying their success, being to thick to realise why they are in this mess...laughing at us this summer, the moronic way they wanted to "fight us" when we go to fratton...

sure, we are not perfect but I am not on about us..I am on about pompey

the way they have gloated at us (and I know loads of pompey fans and have worked their a few times over the years) over the last few years means I want every misery possible on that club

is that OTT...probably..but I dont care

And it's an observation on my part that a handful of internet messageboard users are the ones not shouting for liquidation.

I think we'll call them pompous cu*ts.

Go to a game every now and then and ask fans what they think.

I think that sums it up for me.

I grew up not knowing of the hatred that was brewing. Yes I had been to the Dell for Sydenhams testimonial. I was allowed to go with my brother (Iwas 8 he was 12 ) oblivious to any hatred.A few fights and a firecracker but it seemed just like any other saturday in the late 60's.

Time went on and saints were relegated and so we played them again. No real segregation at the Dell and there was the odd scrap. We then weent to FP boxing day (?) and I was with my dad in the stands in with the Pompey. Saints won 2-1 and saints fans were all around the ground mixing with the locals.'oh when the saints ' struck up and I, still naive to the rivalry, was singing it without any concern when this massive great neanathal put his face to mine and with a face twisted with hatred screamed 'Spastic' (now he may have just been summing me up perfectly). I was stunned and now awakened to the realisation that they had a problem with us. That was the last time our fans were not segregated and sadly it got worse and worse. The beauty of 84 was all the better for it, but it is sad that fellow Hampshire people cannot put it aside.

I do think that if we are below then for 44 years , perhaps the hatred they show could well be the same our side as I see many on here who already feel the same way after 5 years!

Pes and co , good luck i hope you still have a team to support, but I really hope the club get its full justified punishment for all the dodgy deals it seems to have been part of.