Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

A total of 16,770 supporters packed into the ground to show unity in the face of the Pompey’s grim plight just days after the club’s administrator Trevor Birch admitted it may not reach the end of the season.

Pompey fans, however, were determined to see their club survive ahead today’s match.

Joe Hamson, 19, of Victoria Avenue, Widley, said: ‘We are going to stick behind them. We are still in the dark about it and hopefully we can find someone to pay it all off and get through it.

‘I will continue to come to games and show support.’

Phil Arnold, 54, travelled from Taunton in Somerset with his son Josh, 15, to watch the game.

Phil said: ‘We go to every home game. I’m pretty upset about the thought of what might happen.

‘The main thing is we stay in business. If the worst happens and we get relegated it’s a minor thing, I think most of us would rather see the club survive.’

Josh added: ‘Let’s get behind the team and hopefully we will see it out until the end of the season.

We are definitely the best fans in the country and keep packing the park.’ :lol:

The meeting with Birch earlier.

Just to update you all. (I didn't take notes but will put down the main points and ask for a more thorough report from Bill later)

- Birch will be asking the Football League to release a sum of money that would keep Pompey going until the end of the season. If the FL say "no" then the club's money will run out in early/mid April unless player deals can be done.

- On the topic of player deals, clubs have expressed an interest in the players that Pompey don't want to lose. Birch has tried to offload the other high earners but hasn't been able to. There is a chance that he might try to agree mutual severance packages with players if it comes to it.

- There are no serious buyers currently interested in buying the club. Birch was hoping that the statement he released during the week would flush out any potential buyers.

- However, Balram Chainrai is interested in buying the club and wants to meet with Birch.

- Out of interest, Birch asked the group if Chainrai was the only alternative then would we prefer the club to go forward with Chainrai or risk liquidation? Two tentative hands were raised in favour of Chainrai with the rest saying no.

- Birch also suggested that rather than channel funds and energy into trying to keep the club afloat (as it will be going into a black hole), it would be more productive to save up for starting anew.

My personal view, reading between the lines is that Birch believes that this will be the end and he wanted to guage fans' opinion on liquidation.

Speaking to Ken Malley from FSF after the meeting, he told me that if we were to start a new club then the deadline for registration is 1st of May.

Given that there is this three week period to set up the new club, the old one would effectively have to be liquidated at the start of April for a new one to be in place for next season.

I think that's the bulk of it. I think Birch said it best when he stated that the club is 100m in debt, stands to make a huge loss over the course of the year, doesn't own a ground, doesn't own the land around it, doesn't own an academy and the playing squad is valued at around £2 million.

Anyway, here are the full notes from Bill Gillon of PompeyOnline, so credit to him for taking them.

Birch has held meetings with the Football League, and learnt last Tuesday

that the club will receive no further funds over and above which is already

normally due. Birch had hoped for an advance on subs, but the Football

League have said the cannot help any further.

Despite media hints to the contrary, Birch knew about the situation

regarding Gaydamak's money.

The club will only be liquidated once Birch does not see cash in the club to

go forward, at which point he would bring the club to an 'orderly close',

which is part of his duties. Despite talk and rumour to the contrary, Birch

is not working solely for the interests of HMRC, but to achieve the best

result for all creditors and the club.

He made the statements he did earlier this week to, partly, flush out people

who have been hovering about and looking at the club and, also, to help

concentrate minds.

He is still talking to the Football League and is hopeful that, by Monday,

he will have had it confirmed that the club will continue to receive it's

scheduled monthly distributions. He hopes the club will receive 500k in

April, which will ensure things look better as regards getting the club to

the end of the season.

He is talking to Michael Appleton as regards the player situation.

A final option might be to break player contracts, but this is a last resort

and it would be treading a fine line, as the Football League could terminate

our membership.

The question was asked as to whether Chainrai was preparing a bid, and Birch

confirmed that he expected to hear from him. He stated that he felt a bid

would only go forward if Chainrai's debenture was deemed valid. Birch, no

matter what, wants a successful conclusion come what may.

There is other interest in the club, and Birch is meeting other people next

week. As things currently stand, there is no concrete 'hot to trot' certain

commitment.

Club costs equate to £3.5m to see the club to the end of June, with a buyer

having to fund a loss of £5-10m next year under current contracts and

situation.

A lawyer's letter has been sent to Chainrai/Portpin, which was sent on

Friday. This is to request that Chainrai give his view and justification for

the debenture. Birch is now awaiting a reply.

There was an issue with the planned price reductions for the Middlesbrough

game. Birch has organised working groups for each part of the club

operations, and final arrangements for the price reductions had slipped

through the net during a busy and short time frame, which Birch apologises

for.

A discussion took place as regards Chainrai. Gerald Vernon-Jackson confirmed

that Chainrai had been talking to him and planned to speak to the

administrators. Birch asked for opinions, and a show of hands, as to whether

people would prefer a club under Chainrai or liquidation, only one person

was in favour of Chainrai involvement (out of around 15-20 people there).

The question was also raised as to whether people would be in favour of

Chainrai involvement alongside the Trust and, again, this was dismissed as

any fan involvement was felt would be minimal and easily overuled.

It is confirmed that, as things stand, Chainrai and CSI are the majority

creditors.

As regards Gaydamak's land, Birch has tried to make contact and left

messages with Bruce Van Den Berg but, as things stand, has had no reply.

It is confirmed that David Lampitt is dealing with Genoa about monies owed.

As things stand, the club has money to survive until mid-April but, as

mentioned earlier, it is hoped that, next week, the situation will mean the

club will, at least, be able to see out the season.

It was decided that, in order to make an attempt to seek information and

intent, that a request is made via Gerald Vernon-Jackson to arrange a

meeting with Conference representatives and Chainrai. The representatives

would be made up of board members of the Trust plus current Conference chair

Tony Goodall.

The meeting with Birch earlier.

Just to update you all. (I didn't take notes but will put down the main points and ask for a more thorough report from Bill later)

- Birch will be asking the Football League to release a sum of money that would keep Pompey going until the end of the season. If the FL say "no" then the club's money will run out in early/mid April unless player deals can be done.

- On the topic of player deals, clubs have expressed an interest in the players that Pompey don't want to lose. Birch has tried to offload the other high earners but hasn't been able to. There is a chance that he might try to agree mutual severance packages with players if it comes to it.

- There are no serious buyers currently interested in buying the club. Birch was hoping that the statement he released during the week would flush out any potential buyers.

- However, Balram Chainrai is interested in buying the club and wants to meet with Birch.

- Out of interest, Birch asked the group if Chainrai was the only alternative then would we prefer the club to go forward with Chainrai or risk liquidation? Two tentative hands were raised in favour of Chainrai with the rest saying no.

- Birch also suggested that rather than channel funds and energy into trying to keep the club afloat (as it will be going into a black hole), it would be more productive to save up for starting anew.

My personal view, reading between the lines is that Birch believes that this will be the end and he wanted to guage fans' opinion on liquidation.

Speaking to Ken Malley from FSF after the meeting, he told me that if we were to start a new club then the deadline for registration is 1st of May.

Given that there is this three week period to set up the new club, the old one would effectively have to be liquidated at the start of April for a new one to be in place for next season.

I think that's the bulk of it. I think Birch said it best when he stated that the club is 100m in debt, stands to make a huge loss over the course of the year, doesn't own a ground, doesn't own the land around it, doesn't own an academy and the playing squad is valued at around £2 million.

Anyway, here are the full notes from Bill Gillon of PompeyOnline, so credit to him for taking them.

concentrate minds.

the end of the season.

our membership.

commitment.

situation.

for.

creditors.

Tony Goodall.

Sounds like toast!

Sounds like they are toast to me. But think about what we have to put up with. Heartwarming stories about the new Phoenix club. Plucky never say die ex-portmyth fans chanting we will be back. A crying Westwood saying you can liquidate us back but you cant take our spirit.... ****kk I hate them already.

PFC named the MOTM as 'the fans' today. Cringeworthy playing up to the bestest! If it were even 1% true, they wouldn't have to bang on about it every 5 minutes while surrounded by empty seats.

Better check if that's allowed under Football League rules... Another points deduction? ;)

I remember AFC Wimbledon named their accountant as MOTM once!

As an avid reader of this thread and someone who does not post i feel compelled to post today. (Stolen from saintcarp or something, can't be rsed to troll back for his name)

Loving it all, I have read every single post on this thread and it often takes me hours to catch up but I must congratulate all you regular posters for making every day enjoyable for me. I understand that its not down to you lot but just the train crash they call the sleeping giants. I have been a Saints fan since the age of 6 in 1973/4 season and watched all home games (and a good deal of away) till 1998 since when I have watched from afar (getting home occasionally). The people that say we need the rivalry need to think about the facts, in the 38 odd years I have followed the Saints I have witnessed a dozen derby games (give or take as its a rough estimate), to me that's not enough to say keep them alive. There have been some great games and atmospheres in these past games but the "bubble" has changed even that, added to the fact the recent game was garbage, its over. The day they go I will be popping the bottles of champers I have in the fridge. Thanks everyone for all the enjoyment you have given me so far, I need to say this now as I think the end is near. I have an open invite for any Saints in Texas, I will throw a party when they go pop, free booze for anyone welcome to toast their death. UTS COYR.

Sounds like toast!

Sounds like they were at two different meetings!

Also if Chainrai did take over again, how many fans would turn up and support? If they wanted to hurt him, then a boycott is the only way... Starve him of money especially if they go down as that would then be the largest source of income.

Edited by Doctoroncall

Also if Chainrai did take over again, how many fans would turn up and support? If they wanted to hurt him, then a boycott is the only way... Starve him of money especially if they go down as that would then be the largest source of income.

The advance season ticket sales would be very interesting to watch that's for sure.

Also why would the admin ask the fans if they wanted chainrai as owner? Surely his job is just to get the best deal for the creditors and if chainrai is the only interested party with any money could he legally refuse a sensible offer?

The advance season ticket sales would be very interesting to watch that's for sure.

Also why would the admin ask the fans if they wanted chainrai as owner? Surely his job is just to get the best deal for the creditors and if chainrai is the only interested party with any money could he legally refuse a sensible offer?

I don't think TB could, but is expect a much more thorough FPPT by the FL and possibly see them blocking it due to the history of his previous tenures. Especially as he has publicly confessed he'd be "reluctant" to do it in "the interim". If they don't block him, it'll just degenerate into further farce.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk

All the signs are that the toaster has been brought out of the cupboard, dusted off, and plugged in... but I won't believe it will happen (however much Birch insinuates that it's very, very close) until it really does happen.

In the meantime, the mere suggestion that the one person who might save them from liquidation is Balram Chainrai - no doubt to string out this slow motion car crash for another few months/years - is too funny for words.

You just couldn't make this stuff up.

Heads up.. ITFC are going to make a loan bid this weekend for Henderson and Pearce...

They hope to have the deal tied up quickly as they want Henderson for Tuesday nights game against us

this morning... he is on his way up here... looks like Ashdown will be their No1 again

http://www.footballcourier.com/news/story/940829/henderson-set-for-blues-switch/full_story.html

Edited by patred44

I don't think TB could, but is expect a much more thorough FPPT by the FL and possibly see them blocking it due to the history of his previous tenures. Especially as he has publicly confessed he'd be "reluctant" to do it in "the interim". If they don't block him, it'll just degenerate into further farce.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk

Did chainrai pass the FAPPT last time or not? I thought he had, in which case would he need to pass it again?

Sounds like they are toast to me. But think about what we have to put up with. Heartwarming stories about the new Phoenix club. Plucky never say die ex-portmyth fans chanting we will be back. A crying Westwood saying you can liquidate us back but you cant take our spirit.... ****kk I hate them already.
Bloody hell! Does he think they are going to make a movie of this and have Mel Gibson playing TCWB? braveheart-3.jpg

Notes from the fans meeting with Birch yesterday:

concentrate minds.

the end of the season.

our membership.

commitment.

situation.

for.

creditors.

Tony Goodall.

Did chainrai pass the FAPPT last time or not? I thought he had, in which case would he need to pass it again?

I don't think the FL have updated it but as time has passed, it will still need to be checked just in case Chainrai has any discretions in the meantime, I cannot see him failing it though so if he does take over it's going to be a slow death while Chainrai tries to get money out of the club.

As an avid reader of this thread and someone who does not post i feel compelled to post today. (Stolen from saintcarp or something, can't be rsed to troll back for his name)

Loving it all, I have read every single post on this thread and it often takes me hours to catch up but I must congratulate all you regular posters for making every day enjoyable for me. I understand that its not down to you lot but just the train crash they call the sleeping giants. I have been a Saints fan since the age of 6 in 1973/4 season and watched all home games (and a good deal of away) till 1998 since when I have watched from afar (getting home occasionally). The people that say we need the rivalry need to think about the facts, in the 38 odd years I have followed the Saints I have witnessed a dozen derby games (give or take as its a rough estimate), to me that's not enough to say keep them alive. There have been some great games and atmospheres in these past games but the "bubble" has changed even that, added to the fact the recent game was garbage, its over. The day they go I will be popping the bottles of champers I have in the fridge. Thanks everyone for all the enjoyment you have given me so far, I need to say this now as I think the end is near. I have an open invite for any Saints in Texas, I will throw a party when they go pop, free booze for anyone welcome to toast their death. UTS COYR.

I like that idea - on the day on liquidation, all round the world, overseas saints hosting free parties for a global celebration.

I like that idea - on the day on liquidation, all round the world, overseas saints hosting free parties for a global celebration.

All our esteemed heros should be invited to say a word or two, raise a toast etc

Chinny, Azougy, Storrie, Hart, Jacobs, Gadaffi Jnr, Antonov, Ben Haim, Clotteril, AA, Ahmed Mirage, Cala, Avram... it would be a cracking guest list

Sha-la-la-la-la-la-la-la - WTFILN

Pack the Park

Fat in the Pipes

1/2: @pn_neil_allen: RT @howard_frost: Chainrai to become #Pompey owner again http://t.co/PwbyEplx He insists he's taken no money out of club. What about Kaboul cash?

@pn_neil_allen: Sky ask Chainrai: Have you ever taken any money out? "Are you joking, Brian? Are you serious? Myself, nothing. Nothing." Kaboul £4m? #Pompey

@pn_neil_allen: RT @adam_ts: @pn_neil_allen tie bc up to a lie detector and sell tickets for it! #pompey #bcisaliar

1/2: @pn_neil_allen: RT @AshBeen23: @joemichalczuk TB has backed away from the days to live timescale, PFC can limp to the end of season, giving us weeks to find a better buyer

1/2: @pn_neil_allen: RT @pompeyblue1980: Looking around the message boards this morning the chairai fall out has already started, splitting the fanbase yet again

This is going to get interesting.

Firstly, IMO there is no way that the FL could bar Chainrai under their owners & directors test, it is objective in that Chainrai would have needed to be the owner for 2 unconnected insolvency events - which he hasn't.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/regulations/20110629/appendix-4_2293633_2128219

So if he is the only one who will step forward and save the phew, then this really is an acid test of the phew and how much they've really learnt over the last few years. The fans themselves will have the power to get rid of Chainrai once and for all by boycotting the club and driving the final nail in the financial coffin - Chinny will have no option but to liquidate himself as he won't keep throwing money into the pit.

However if they continue to get gates consummate to the league they are in (i.e. circa 8k in league one) then the phew will shown themselves to be what they really are. No doubt, they will just say that they're true fans supporting the club through thick & thin - but the reality is that they are happy to support one of the characters that has caused so much damage to 'their' club.

I feel sorry for TB here, he can see what's coming, and he know's that the phew are going to blame him for selling the club back to Chainrai, but he has no choice - his job is to get the best result for the creditors. It'll be over to the phew, have the fans learnt the lessons of the last 5 or so years?

1/2: @pn_neil_allen: RT @howard_frost: Chainrai to become #Pompey owner again http://t.co/PwbyEplx He insists he's taken no money out of club. What about Kaboul cash?

@pn_neil_allen: Sky ask Chainrai: Have you ever taken any money out? "Are you joking, Brian? Are you serious? Myself, nothing. Nothing." Kaboul £4m? #Pompey

@pn_neil_allen: RT @adam_ts: @pn_neil_allen tie bc up to a lie detector and sell tickets for it! #pompey #bcisaliar

1/2: @pn_neil_allen: RT @AshBeen23: @joemichalczuk TB has backed away from the days to live timescale, PFC can limp to the end of season, giving us weeks to find a better buyer

1/2: @pn_neil_allen: RT @pompeyblue1980: Looking around the message boards this morning the chairai fall out has already started, splitting the fanbase yet again

What's 50% of f*ck all?

All our esteemed heros should be invited to say a word or two, raise a toast etc

Chinny, Azougy, Storrie, Hart, Jacobs, Gadaffi Jnr, Antonov, Ben Haim, Clotteril, AA, Ahmed Mirage, Cala, Avram... it would be a cracking guest list

Sha-la-la-la-la-la-la-la - WTFILN

Pack the Park

Fat in the Pipes

One guy who I think deserves to be on there that I haven't seen mentioned is Ben Sahar, the former Chelsea youngster. He went on loan to Pompey for 6 months in 2008 and didn't make a single appearance :lol:

I reckon it's bubbling up nicely.

Squad weakening, Chanrai getting desperate, judgement day is coming.

The genuine progress this time is a proper administrator reducing the wagebill.

The sporting advantage they've helped themselves to for a decade is being stripped back and that has to be good for the league.

When Lord Lucan Lampitt refused to reduce costs during January I thought they were going to flick the Vs all the way to oblivion.

So I'm happy that justice is slowly being dealt out on the pitch, we just need to expose this ridiculous myth about the park being packed by the bestest, and 'thousands' demonstrating at the end against nothing in particular.

How long before the penny drops andthe few start to spot the potential of a farewell hammering at SMS?

Will we see desperate last minute calls for liquidation in the build-up?

Chanrai will be the good excuse for that one.

I 4-1 look forward to their visit and would be most disappointed if they dodge it.

From The Snooze website:-

[h=3]Ihatescummers[/h]Sunday, March 4, 2012 at 08:23 AM

It would be a shame if St Marys got trashed on the 7th April.

Yes, but as the next contributor pointed out; that's been written down now as a threat, perhaps someone should forward it to the proper authorities at St. Mary's.

Ah, but they were the bestest 16770 of the best fans in the world™ so that equates to 50,000 apparently! Personally, if they don't get liquidated soon, I think being done up the crapper by Chinny again is as equally funny :D

How many Boro fans? 2500??

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})