Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

How the hell can the FL allow them to sign anyone, regardless of wether there on a free or on loan when they (the FL) are putting pressure on existing players to write off huge sums of money they are owed in a bid to save the skates from liquidation.

I really dont understand this! :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

They haven't signed anyone; all the puff pieces in the News are about them wanting to sign players, with the obligatory whinges about the fact that they can't actually do so. The Football League isn't putting any pressure on players to write off any sums of money as far as I know. Plenty of people are doing just that, but not the FL.

I see Coral's are the first to put out relegation odds ... initially 6/1 now slashed to 7/2. Lump on ... great bet. Apart a real value punt given the state they are in, think of the pleasure of winning as well!

But do the odds stand if they are liquidated before the start (or end!) of the season?

Fair point. It would be money back in this situation. However if they do aviod lquidation what are their chances? Paper thin squad made up of kids, possible points deduction, asset stripping, etc. all points to relegation in my opinion.

Fair point. It would be money back in this situation. However if they do aviod lquidation what are their chances? Paper thin squad made up of kids, possible points deduction, asset stripping, etc. all points to relegation in my opinion.

I wouldn't be too sure on that....they've bought players before they couldn't afford to pay in order to gain a competitive advantage, so why would they change now when they know they can wipe out the debt again in admin3...?

They've already offered Fuctas a new contract that is "very good for League One" whilst still in administration...

I understood they were still deferring wages at the moment?

They are. They've been on a £5k/week cap since admin, so they could scrape by on the £200k/month nPC subsidy, with a bit of help from cash generated by player sales. They are now down to a £60k/month L1 subsidy.

They are. They've been on a £5k/week cap since admin, so they could scrape by on the £200k/month nPC subsidy, with a bit of help from cash generated by player sales. They are now down to a £60k/month L1 subsidy.

Ah, gotcha...cheers. No wonder they were so keen to get their hands on that £30k...

I do wonder how much their running costs are par month and whether £200k covers it. Their total wage bill, even with deferrals must be almost that. Add on business rates, electricity, water rates etc and I'm sure it's going to be north of £200k.

Looks like Man Utd are going to pip Joseph Cala to the post in the race to float an English football club on the New York Stock Exchange...

@danroan: Here's Man Utd's registration document signalling their intention to float on the NYSE to reduce debt. Worth a read.

http://t.co/nZupmtV6

@danroan: United IPO prospectus: "Our indebtedness could adversely affect our financial health and competitive position..."

@danroan: ..As of Mar 31 we had total indebtedness of £423.3m..increases risk that we may be unable to generate cash sufficient to pay amounts due"

@danroan: Man Utd IPO prospectus: "Net finance costs (interest repayments on club's£420m debt) for the 9 months ended March 31, 2012 were £35m..."

Edited by trousers

Meanwhile, in a parallel universe where integrity and justice still exists in the game of football....

@SkySports: Scottish Premier League clubs will meet for a scheduled vote on a newco Rangers application on Wednesday morning. http://t.co/HNApaE2m

I think that there will be a big "about turn" by the Minnows of the Scottish Prem, and Rangers will get the majority tequired for them to continue playing in the Top Tier.

They simply cannot forgo their cut of Rangers gate money

I wouldn't be too sure on that....they've bought players before they couldn't afford to pay in order to gain a competitive advantage, so why would they change now when they know they can wipe out the debt again in admin3...?

They've already offered Fuctas a new contract that is "very good for League One" whilst still in administration...

Was the Fuctas 'offer' not the activation of an existing clause in his current contract? Skates would probably point out that his income may go up or down according to market forces of course!

I think that there will be a big "about turn" by the Minnows of the Scottish Prem, and Rangers will get the majority tequired for them to continue playing in the Top Tier.

They simply cannot forgo their cut of Rangers gate money

Yep, just reading about the potential back peddling going on up there. I am duly poised to retract my 'integrity and justice' statement if they 'do a Pompey' and (largely) get away with it...

Faintly amusing.....SPL teams didn't want NewCo in with them. Maybe they wanted a shot at PL footie. 1st Div didn't want Rangers foisted on them - presumably it would hurt their promotion chances. So entering the 3rd Tier would have caused them all sorts of problems financially. So much for sporting integrity. Let's just wait and see what exactly this integrity is!!

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/lawrence-still-angry-over-pompey-decline-1-4015913

Lawrence still angry over Pompey decline

‘Look at what the fans have had to put up with and others who work at the club. How is that right?

‘It is all about other people’s mistakes and I am still bitter about that. It really gets to me.

‘This is wrong what has happened to this football club and it has affected us all.

‘The players as well, we have all been hit hard.

‘I’ve had to move the family back up north, near Stoke.

I would have thought that was a bonus...?

Edited by trousers

"Net finance costs (interest repayments on club's£420m debt) for the 9 months ended March 31, 2012 were £35m..."

Jeez. That means (unless there are other things in that figure that United are paying 11%pa on that debt. The banks must think there is a real risk that they / the Glazers will go pop.

Jeez. That means (unless there are other things in that figure that United are paying 11%pa on that debt. The banks must think there is a real risk that they / the Glazers will go pop.

Yep and who do they pay that interest to? Along with fees for arranging the loans in the first place, while the Glazers probably borrowed it at a competitive rate set against Libor.

Oh

One of the drivers for forming FC United

Lawrence really doesn't come out of this piece at all well.

I love the way he has a pop at the owners who: "tried to do things their way and left the club in a mess."

Doing things their way presumably included outbidding other clubs in terms of fee and wages to sign Liam Lawrence.

However, the owners can't have done everything their way because Lawrence was: "Then-manager Steve Cotterill’s confidante, his sounding board to debate more player recruits.

So what role did Lawrence play in Quality Over Quantity?

As for: "I’ll be going to training on Monday but will probably have to drive down there in my socks and boots and check in a hotel for a while."

Let's hope he doesn't get stopped by the Feds.

"Can you explain why you're driving with no clothes on sir? And can you control the pedals in your car properly with those studs on the bottom of your boots, sir"

The hotel? I'm guessing it won't be a B&B along Southsea front or up in the wilds of North End.

interesting development there...

We all have a laugh about Ben Haim having gold door handles on his stretch Hummer but Lawrence gives the distinct impression that having his wages cut from £20K to £5K meant they could no longer justify renting in Warsash and had to save some money and move to Stoke.

Birch has done well to cause footballers financial hardship, and poor old Lawrence even worked in the ticket office for him.

One could observe that Lawrence may have been offered two contracts when he signed.

A solvent club might have offered him £12K a week, but he chose the £20K a week from a clearly insolvent club that looked like it was STILL in serious trouble.

Ditto UnAppy.

Despite spin to the contrary, his job has changed little since he joined.

At the time of his interview, his potential employers were suspected to be laundering money for organised crime.

What could go wrong?

I struggle to find much sympathy for people who have made poor decisions based on greed, and then whinge when the obvious problems occur.

Then again I'm miserable like that.

Lawrence actually sums up all that was wrong in Skateland. He must have been in the top 20 earners in the Champ and he wasn't even the Skates top earner!

The first administration was bad enough, but the way they went about spending Lithuanian bank customers' money immediately they were free from it was beyond negligent. It was obvious to anyone who cared to look that Antonov was at best 'dodgy,' and Lampitt in particular must have known that CSI had only ever put a modest down-payment into the kitty. And anyone with a modicum of shame or decency would have at least waited a bit of time and seen some of the CVA money being repaid before splashing out on one of the highest earning groups of players in the Championship.

At no point did the sums ever add up - it was just a blind gamble to get back to the Prem with an absolute disregard to those that they had fecked over on the way. Which is why anything less than -27 points and playing the youth team (I'll allow them their Slovenian goalie) means they have got away with it. Because anything less than that and they will just carry on as before.

The golden share is withdrawn if a football club doesn't pay it's players. This is a fact. (Unless agreed by a player,wage deferals etc)

Club 24 cannot pay it's players so unless most of 'em leave they will either be liquidated or thrown out of the league. :lol:

The question on my tiny mind is, When ? Why is nothing happening,no player sales. How long Trev ? 1 year,5 years,10 years,why not today ? Honestly this has to come to a head and soon. No CVA has been agreed despite all the spin and bullsh*t. The club can't even afford a football kit. I am at a loss to understand why they still operate as a club. If i had behaved in this manner my house,car and home cinema would have been reposesed ages ago as well as both my knackers cut off.

AAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH !! :x

God bless Jello Biafra

http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/LatestNews/news/Dowling-Arrives-As-Head-Of-Recruitment-3505.aspx

Luke Dowling has joined Pompey as the club’s head of recruitment.

He said: “My role is about identifying promising new players that can come in and push the club forward – both in the long and short-term. We all want to get this club back to where it belongs.

“But first we have to get a squad together that can be competitive in League One.

I turned down European scouting roles at two Premier League clubs to come to Pompey because this is such a great club.

RoflLg.gif

istock_000002694919xsmall.jpg

Edited by trousers

Nice cushy job.

1) Arrive at work

2) Reread memo from league reminding you you are not allowed to recruit any new players

3) Snooze and surf internet

4) Go home

5) Collect 200,000 a year salary

6) Hmmm....

7) What could possibly go wrong?

In today's episode of "You Couldn't Make It Up".....10 minutes after Pompey announce they've employed a head of recruitment we get this.....

Neil Allen ‏@pn_neil_allen #Pompey have been told there will no Football League change in stance over recruitment. Means club still cannot sign players.

Don't knock it ..... At least they now have a Head of Recruitment that can officially issue a statement telling us that he CANNOT RECRUIT

Happy Days

In today's episode of "You Couldn't Make It Up".....10 minutes after Pompey announce they've employed a head of recruitment we get this.....

Neil Allen ‏@pn_neil_allen #Pompey have been told there will no Football League change in stance over recruitment. Means club still cannot sign players.

At least the news will be able to have a lot more stories about promising players 'being lined up' to join pompey.

How, and indeed why, have they appointed a head of recruitment at a time when they are supposed to be cutting to the bone?

How has Birch sanctioned this? How do creditors feel when they see another addition to the litter to suck at the teat, when they are being told they can expect the square root of bugger all of what they are owed?

Typical p****y, but also symptomatic of the game where all 'Football people' (ie: managers, players, ex-players) deride outsiders (ie, those who have never played the game professionally) as having no appreciation of the game. When, in fact, they have no appreciation of reality as throughout their careers they have only ever been concerned about being left alone to concentrate on their football, and there has always been somebody there to pick up the tab.

As for: "I turned down European scouting roles at two Premier League clubs to come to Pompey because this is such a great club."

This is either complete and utter drivel spouted for the moronic masses to sop up, or he turned down Premier League clubs not because p****y is such a great club, but because they offered him more money.

I think I know which one my money is on.

So the FL are sticking to their guns and not allowing Pompey to sign any players, in accordance with clear FL rules.

Is THIS the way they're going to kill them? If they can't sign players, they can't fulfill their fixtures. If they can't fulfill their fixtures, they're out of the league.

Might be a less messy way for the the FL to kill them than use rules that don't yet exist in relation to their financial situation.

Can't afford the players they already have, not allowed to sign anyone else, yet hire a man to look for players they cannot buy.

Rotten from top to bottom. The club is like a horrible 5 year car crash happening on the opposite carriageway, that you can't look away from. You simply couldn't make it up.

I find it fascinating that TBH gets villified for not compromising on his wages, with no club interested in buying him... yet Lawrence has interest from Cardiff supposedly, but the move won't happen until a compromise can be agreed with him.

Surely this ought to be a very quick win for them, so every day's delay to getting Lawrence out of the door is wasting money they can ill-afford to lose. Where's the pressure on Lawrence from Trevor Birch and Neil Allen to do the "honourable thing"?

Not that I expect anything sensible, logical or fair to come out of that lot, mind...

Nice cushy job.

1) Arrive at work

2) Reread memo from boss reminding you you are not allowed to recruit any new employees

3) Snooze and surf internet

4) Go home

Wow apart from small mistake that I have changed for you

There, now fits most people I have met in HR the past 3 months

So the FL are sticking to their guns and not allowing Pompey to sign any players, in accordance with clear FL rules.

Is THIS the way they're going to kill them? If they can't sign players, they can't fulfill their fixtures. If they can't fulfill their fixtures, they're out of the league.

Might be a less messy way for the the FL to kill them than use rules that don't yet exist in relation to their financial situation.

Maybe you are on to something here. This allows them to retire from the game due to a sad set of unforeseen circumstances rather than one particular fault of one person.

Now, TB has had experience of running a football club. He is also highly regarded in the IP industry, and in fact was the man that HMRC fought for.

He will not want a failure on his CV.

The PFA will not want to be seen to be to be to blame for not asking their players to help out

The players will not want to be seen to have been the reason the club has failed but will not want to miss out on any possible chance of getting SOME money back

FL are doing everything they can to help out.

Must be worth re-reading the PP rules and payment dates again

pcfc RIP unable to get a team together

Sounds a bit better on your CV than failed to find a financial solution

Wow apart from small mistake that I have changed for you

There, now fits most people I have met in HR the past 3 months

But people in HR also have to get off their bottoms when someone has to leave. Another thing that anyone at pompey don't have to deal with.

So lawrence can't find a suitble place for his family to live in down here on £5000/w - my heart bleeds

More like his family have moved mback to Stoke because he has a move lined up, up north and is waiting out the end game to ensure he gets his back pay.

Don't forget that actually they still have 10 very highly paid, ex championship, or even ex-PL, players on their books , plus some 'promsing youngsters'. So apart from the lack of a goalie they could actually put out a very good team by L1 standards if the season started tomorrow. So there is no need for them to recruit anybody yet ..not until they actually get rid of some of the big earners. Once they do, I suspect the FL will reconsider. And they will always let clubs sign a keeper in an emergency.

All this story tells us is that the FL is not letting them sign replacements for players that haven't gone yet. Well, whoopy do!

Don't forget that actually they still have 10 very highly paid, ex championship, or even ex-PL, players on their books , plus some 'promsing youngsters'. So apart from the lack of a goalie they could actually put out a very good team by L1 standards if the season started tomorrow. So there is no need for them to recruit anybody yet ..not until they actually get rid of some of the big earners. Once they do, I suspect the FL will reconsider. And they will always let clubs sign a keeper in an emergency.

All this story tells us is that the FL is not letting them sign replacements for players that haven't gone yet. Well, whoopy do!

Not allowed to sign players and yet they release one of their former academy youngsters, a 19 year old, to sign for Havant & Waterlooville.

According to this article, http://nonleague.pitchero.com/news/hawks-bag-pompey-youngster-14357/ he is a talented midfielder.

But apparently not talented enough for the Skates. They make me sick.

If they play the players that they have but can't afford the sh.it storm that will arise from the other L1 clubs will be huge.

That will be considered "gaining an unfair advantage" & I'm quite sure that the club has been told that.

Not allowed to sign players and yet they release one of their former academy youngsters, a 19 year old, to sign for Havant & Waterlooville.

According to this article, http://nonleague.pitchero.com/news/hawks-bag-pompey-youngster-14357/ he is a talented midfielder.

But apparently not talented enough for the Skates. They make me sick.

One for one of our regular Football League corresponders to ask for their comment on I would venture....

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/league-turn-down-pompey-plea-1-4018581

GOOD! you DFCSB`s

‘There is no indication when this will change, although once players start to leave it will free things up. It’s a fluid situation.

‘In the meantime, these players continue to make sacrifices in the form of deferrals to help the club continue, so it’s not black and white.

The debt is growing....

So lawrence can't find a suitble place for his family to live in down here on £5000/w - my heart bleeds

More like his family have moved mback to Stoke because he has a move lined up, up north and is waiting out the end game to ensure he gets his back pay.

he has been renting a big house on the waterfront in Warsash