Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

I love the photo of Appy in the latest Portsmouth News article.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/po...plea-1-4018581

"Doh! I can't sign anyone."

They are so screwed over the next 20 days. Pre-season will be a shambles, players won't leave as they would have done so by now if so inclined, CVA will not progress unless CB takes a haircut.

Edited by TopGun
Forgot link

Yep, just reading about the potential back peddling going on up there. I am duly poised to retract my 'integrity and justice' statement if they 'do a Pompey' and (largely) get away with it...

Scottish Football integrity remains intact....

Dan Roan ‏@danroan SPL announce that member clubs have 'voted overwhelmingly to reject' Rangers' application to join the top flight as a newco.

Why would 'gaining an unfair advantage' come into play now, when it didn't stop them in gaining promotion, winning the FA cup then overspending in the championship to try and get back up? In each season they did this, rival clubs that didn't run up debts they never planned to pay back were at an unfair advantage. Other clubs would have liked Yakubu in the championship, others would have liked Berger, Diarra, Crouch, Defoe and countless others we've forgotten played for pfc because they were only there a few months for some cash.

They've had unfair advantage for 8 years now, and used it to gain 1 FA cup, no infrastructure, no playing assets, no money, no stadium, a place in League 1 and the worst reputationin English football.

This isn't about the past, it's about now & there is no way that the L1 clubs will allow it.

Scottish Football integrity remains intact....

Dan Roan ‏@danroan SPL announce that member clubs have 'voted overwhelmingly to reject' Rangers' application to join the top flight as a newco.

Sort of.

The integrity of the SPL clubs appears to be intact, as it's they who have voted against letting Rangers Newco into the league.

However, the SPL themselves - in tandem with the SFA - are ****ting themselves because (somehow) the various commercial and broadcasting deals they have seem to stipulate that both of the Old Firm clubs need to be present, otherwise they have get-out clauses. As a result, Neil Doncaster (who you may remember was CEO at Norwich when they were financially in the **** at the same time as we went into admin - he also had a place on the FL board - and was key in getting the FL to ignore their own rules and deduct us 10 points) is trying to get them into Division One rather than starting right at the bottom.

He's claiming it "would be unfair on the 41 innocent clubs" for Rangers to be put in Division 3, presumably because the clubs will lose out financially as a result of these contracts being cancelled. However, you'd like to think each of them had actually thought this through when they voted against Rangers keeping their place in the SPL in the first place... :facepalm:

5/1 to go down on Bet Victor, best odds by some way.

They have to be certs to go down, as things currently stand. Although, I would have said that about Plymouth last season and they scraped it. B'mouth easily stayed up too, under a transfer embargo and a 17pt deduction.

Luton found 30pts too much mind you. This is the level of punishment they should still be getting...

They have to be certs to go down, as things currently stand. Although, I would have said that about Plymouth last season and they scraped it. B'mouth easily stayed up too, under a transfer embargo and a 17pt deduction.

Luton found 30pts too much mind you. This is the level of punishment they should still be getting...

I still think folk are missing one huge, key, massive point in that they have to shift 8 odd players BEFORE they bring anyone in. If they can't get their wage bill down then the FL won't shift on signing players (keeper aside).

It's a very slow death.

30 points ? No way, i feel liquidation is the only punishment,£200,000,000 debt "gone" if any football club gets away with this type of p*ss taking they should be dragged across hot coals. Look at the people they owe money too. It is a scandle they are still here. Sell the ground to Tescos and pay the charities owed money is the minimum that should happen. Then let the fans start again lower down the leagues with a new club.

Outside of football people would be going to jail for these amounts of money owed.

Granted minus 30 points would be funny,watching their pointless season unfold until relagation.

God bless liquidation........................again. :badger:

Considering all the s***e the bestest are spewing about them TBH, Kanu and Mokoena should march into Birch's office and demand full salary from now on, go on lads grow a pair and do it, you know it makes sense. Or are the wage deferrals contractual?

Neil Allen ‏@pn_neil_allen

Uplifting chat today with new #Pompey head of recruitment @Luke07D. A man brimming with ideas and positivity. Story in tomorrow’s paper.

Wonder what ideas the bloke's got about how to recruit when they can't!

Neil Allen ‏@pn_neil_allen

Uplifting chat today with new #Pompey head of recruitment @Luke07D. A man brimming with ideas and positivity. Story in tomorrow’s paper.

Wonder what ideas the bloke's got about how to recruit when they can't!

He has come up with an idea to improve moral at the club......Pay the wages!!

I can't work out if this Neil Allen chap has genuinely got his head in the sand and truely doesn't know how ridiculous stories about employing a recruitment manager sound, or whether he privately does know how daft things are on Planet Pompey but is under strict orders from his newspaper's management to humour Pompey fans to preserve circulation figures etc.

Edited by trousers

I can't work out if this Neil Allen chap has genuinely got his head in the sand and truely doesn't know how ridiculous stories about employing a recruitment manager sound, or whether he privately does know how daft things are on Planet Pompey but is under strict orders from his newspaper's management to humour Pompey fans to preserve circulation figures etc.

Stick to trying to work out what the Higgs Boson is all about. It's MUCH easier.

Birch said: ‘We’ve already had an incredible response from fans for season tickets, which demonstrates once again the strength of the club’s support."

4,500 renewed so far. I seem to remember that following Markus & NC's takeover and Saints exiting administration, 8,500-9K renewed in a matter of days fully in the knowledge that we'd be starting the new season with minus 10 points. Pretty sure we went on to sell about 13K for the season too. Wonder what the world's 'bestest' fans have to say about this?

I've been mulling this over too. I've decided he's some sort of simpleton. He looks like one. Sorry Neil.

I am voting for wilful ignorance. He knows deep down they are in the poo but has made a concious effort to ignore that fact.

I suspect he writes what he thinks the masses over there want to hear.

It's quite interesting reading some of the comments to his drivel - some are now beginning to see the light, but a hardcore are still banging on about spending yet more monry on players.

5/1 to go down on Bet Victor, best odds by some way.

Tasty odds.

A double with Bet Victor of them going down at 5/1 and Saints to finish in the top 10 pays a nice 60/1. I am not that confident about us finishing in the top 10 ....but I have seen worse bets than that.

Can someone explain how they've hired this recruitment guy? Is he voluntary? What am I misunderstanding, as to me it appears an insolvent business defaulting on massive debts has just taken on another salary.

My guess is that he has agreed to accept £5k a week for now, with the rest deferred. :rolleyes:

They are. They've been on a £5k/week cap since admin, so they could scrape by on the £200k/month nPC subsidy, with a bit of help from cash generated by player sales. They are now down to a £60k/month L1 subsidy.

I don't know if it's been mentioned on here before but for some reason I have a sneaky suspicion that the numbers don't seem to add up.

Can someone explain how they've hired this recruitment guy? Is he voluntary? What am I misunderstanding, as to me it appears an insolvent business defaulting on massive debts has just taken on another salary.

I think that this is well down the pecking order in what needs to be explained at Fartton Krap.

So lawrence can't find a suitble place for his family to live in down here on £5000/w - my heart bleeds

More like his family have moved mback to Stoke because he has a move lined up, up north and is waiting out the end game to ensure he gets his back pay.

Maybe pub watch have banned him from all Southampton pubs and he can't abide drinking with his adoring fans.

Also, who has actually given him the job because that person must be 100% confident that they are going to survive or has he been given a 3 week contract?

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/birch-optimistic-over-mokoena-agreement-1-4019910

Trevor Birch remains optimistic an agreement can still be reached for Aaron Mokoena to depart Pompey.

The 31-year-old has been lined-up with a switch to South African side Bidvest Wits.

However, the switch has been held up over his demands for £600,000 to rip up the final 12 months of his contract.

That includes money owed as well as compensation for the remainder of his contract, now around £10,000-a-week after a relegation clause was triggered.

The stalemate recently prompted Birch to criticise the stance taken by his agent after negotiations hit a wall.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/same-old-pre-season-story-for-pompey-1-4019834

Different division, different year, different manager – yet it’s the same old pre-season problem for Pompey.

Monday represents back to training for Michael Appleton’s squad ahead of the new campaign.

Yet there are expected to be just 10 senior professionals in attendance to be put through their paces.

A meagre amount for any manager to deal with, no matter what the level, regardless of the identity of the club.

Edited by trousers

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/wind-battered-appleton-vows-to-ride-out-the-pompey-storm-1-4012559

The former West Bromwich Albion man could have walked away from his latest conflict.

He has had offers since the end of last season.

Instead he has opted to remain at Pompey, decided to face the tornado full on.

And determined to ride the storm which continues to rage on around him when lesser men would have fled for cover long ago.

He said: ‘Friends and family ask me all the time “How are you keeping?”.

‘I think they are genuinely concerned. The thing is, I really want to go through all of this.'

‘As crazy as it seems, I am absolutely enjoying the battle.

‘I love a challenge.

‘I have never had a tougher challenge in my life as I have here.

‘Anything after this will be easy – well that is what I keep telling myself.

Edited by trousers

Read that as he has been offered roles elsewhere as a coach, but is holding out for a proper managers job now that he has "some" experience on his CV.

As in - you are a Sales Manager - you get a new job with a competitor. It is a VP role even if the salary is down on what you would expect but up a bit on your old job.

As a career move you do NOT then go and walk inside one year and take a Sales Manager job at another competitor. Forget the money, your CV is screwed for life.

THAT is why he is still there. As soon as a club coming knocking with a manager role he'll be off fast as he can while pledging regret, loyalty and of course the "Career move" lines he gave WBA

What the fook?!?

Ben Haim’s insistence he ‘likes’ Pompey fans is galling considering his recent conduct.

This is a man who manoeuvred himself back into the picture at Fratton Park at the start of last year, when his move to West Ham broke down, but spent the second-half of the season in dispute with the club.

It was during that time he threatened to kick balls into training sessions to wreck them, according to well-placed sources at Eastleigh.

Hahaha.... So tbh threatened to kick balls in training sessions?! I thought that's What you do in football....

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/recruitment-chief-calls-for-fans-not-to-panic-over-player-signings-1-4019909

Pompey’s new recruitment chief urged fans not to panic and insisted: We’ve got plenty of player targets.

And Luke Dowling is adamant signings are ready to pledge their future to Fratton Park once the Football League give the go ahead.

Dowling has been presented with the remit of scouting the quality to strengthen the Blues’ squad.He has already drawn up a wish list with Pompey boss Michael Appleton as they continue to line-up potential signings for the new season.

And he has promised supporters, players are ready to join the club once the Football League give the green light.

He said: ‘The Football League’s embargo is frustrating but obviously it does not mean we aren’t carrying out work to bring players in.

‘We are continuing to speak to players and as soon as we get the go-ahead those players identified will come in.

‘Michael’s phone doesn’t stop ringing.

‘That shows people want to come to this football club and that is the important thing.

‘If we can get what we want then I know we’ll have a good team who can achieve good results.

:facepalm: Edited by trousers

Read that as he has been offered roles elsewhere as a coach, but is holding out for a proper managers job now that he has "some" experience on his CV. THAT is why he is still there. As soon as a club coming knocking with a manager role he'll be off fast as he can while pledging regret, loyalty and of course the "Career move" lines he gave WBA

Exactly. He is also in a no lose position at PFC. If it goes badly while hes in charge it can all be put down to finances, transfer embargoes etc. If it goes any better than disastrously then Appy comes out looking like a genius.

if we are looking for predictions can I suggest that sometime in the next two days the following will occur.

1. Those nasty pompey players will be cast as villains who refuse to work for nothing.

2. UnAppy will say something motivational with no basis of fact.

3. The few will be praised for their incredible take up of 4,500 season tickets and heralded as the bestest ever in a thinly-veiled desperate plea for sales.

4. The News will use an over-the-top motivational term that even makes them chuckle with shame as they type it - my money is on 'battling', or a repeat of 'troops'.

5. Ben Haim's limbs will be found in a bin bag.

6. A player will be linked to a free departure - not only will his leaving be re-packaged as a great transfer deal on pompey's terms, the response from the fans will be that yesterday's plucky hero is now rubbish, and if he doesn't want to play in the third tier with no chance of getting paid they are better off selling him.

7. They will be linked with a player who is way out of their price range.

8. A player will pledge his loyalty in a hollow and pointless gesture.

9. The debt will increase.

10. Nothing constructive will actually happen.

Not really stuck my neck out there!

Re the Official Plucky Bestest Dictionary, if the media do need some fresh words for this sorry affair I would like to see 'beleaguered' wheeled out again - though 'threadbare' is an old favourite that must be warming up on the sidelines.

Re the Official Plucky Bestest Dictionary, if the media do need some fresh words for this sorry affair I would like to see 'beleaguered' wheeled out again - though 'threadbare' is an old favourite that must be warming up on the sidelines.

Call me old fashion but I'd get a warm glow if someone could work in "this tawdry farrogo" somewhere along the line.

Newspapers.Editors.Management.Circulation figures. ;)

God bless Trousers