Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

I just had a look at their run-in. :scared:

Though I still believe they will scrape home, the few must be wondering where the points are going to come from.

They still have to go to Bury and Northampton, Bristol Rovers at home, and just like Avram, those fixtures come thick and fast in April.*

With a modest squad they are likely to run out of legs, so it could be a tight margin that keeps them in the football league.

With goals at a premium and relegation likely to be decided on one result, it is a brave man who doesn't patch things up with Connolly and recall him.

Brave, or clueless.

*April works in Horton Heath.

And when the loan window shuts for good they only need a few injuries and they are stuffed, perhaps Agent Connolly dosent want to come back, or can they make him, then again if they do make him come back against his will he isnt going to play with his heart in it is he,

I'm hopeful Newport will beat Dagenham and Redbridge tonight (bloody fixture congestion, 2 matches in one night? :D), meaning I won't mind if they lose to Torquay on Saturday. Rene Howe returning to his old club for that one, so Newport might actually remember how to score.

Newport, for the record, haven't won in their last 14 matches and are now sliding perilously close to the relegation zone themselves (down to 14th, having been 8th for about 4 months) - though it'll take the whole bottom half winning a few games to drop them right in it. I should reiterate that Newport, despite not having won in 14 matches, are still 3 points and goal difference above Pompey, AND they still have 2 games in hand on them. And Newport haven't been in a play-off position since Christmas.

They are, however, also playing the Skates at Rodney Parade (aka "the beach") the following weekend... and it is the currently worst pitch I've seen at a professional level since the 1970s.

Edited by The9

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/coppell-lifts-lid-on-pompey-presence-1-5944552

Installed as director of football with no contract or wage, Coppell has not missed a single Blues fixture following his arrival.

He previously operated with Barker in the same role at Crawley, the pair striking up an effective relationship they were eager to re-establish at Fratton Park.

Regardless, some fans have questioned the 58-year-old’s contribution as Pompey remain embroiled in the relegation battle which cost predecessor Guy Whittingham his job.

Now Coppell has stepped forward to speak to the media for the first time following his appointment.

And he has clarified his precise role in Barker’s current Pompey set-up.

He said: ‘I know I am given that title but I am not director of football – I am a helper!'

‘Although, I am disappointed because obviously my help hasn’t been a great deal of help!'

‘For me, it is voluntary work. Although, I hope people don’t think “look at the sad old so and so, he hasn’t got anything else to do”.

'I enjoy watching football. If I wasn’t watching Pompey I would go and watch somebody else.’

:lol: Edited by trousers

And when the loan window shuts for good they only need a few injuries and they are stuffed, perhaps Agent Connolly dosent want to come back, or can they make him, then again if they do make him come back against his will he isnt going to play with his heart in it is he,

They can't make him anyway, you can only terminate season long loans in transfer windows, and Connolly's loan is for the rest of the season.

Edited by The9

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/four-colleagues-from-fareham-company-revealed-as-lotto-winners-1-5945707

FOUR colleagues are celebrating a mega lottery win after their Lotto syndicate scooped them a £1.5m jackpot. Father and son Tom and Lewis Fox along with co-workers Sid Veness and Mark Bush scooped the prize in Saturday’s draw.

3624330298.jpg

Surely they're not going to throw any of this into that bottomless pit in the background are they...?

I make that 81 league places above them.

From memory I think they were 53 above us at our lowest point? - a swing of 134 places must be a world record, making us the bestest ever!

It has been an astonishing turnaround.

Glad I'm not on the wrong end of it, that would be horrendous - especially if I had been gobbing off for years between toy sales.

I'd have made myself look a right ****

Rallyboy, I'm surprised at you. The change in fortunes does not make us the bestest, it makes them the bestest, as always, for establishing the biggest gap in history. It is all down to them and their pathetic attempts to be a football club, and has nothing to do with a team of talented young players who have gone from the bottom of League one to eigth in the Premier League.

rip corp ho, 2 years almost to the day since he buggered off with his tail between his legs. we miss you corpy! :cry:

I'm sure Corpy is still, around even if just in sprit. A change of username and no posting, but he is still amongst us.

He should say hi. The amount of money I have spent on Comedians tours and none of them have given me as many laughs as he has....... Come on corpy, the beers are on me.

Agent Connolly's sealed orders remain, for the time being, a secret between him and the Saints board. Hopefully he will accomplish the undercover mission he accepted at the outset and play a significant, if necessarily discreet, role in completing the skates' downfall

Edited by Waterside.saint

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/four-colleagues-from-fareham-company-revealed-as-lotto-winners-1-5945707

3624330298.jpg

Surely they're not going to throw any of this into that bottomless pit in the background are they...?

They were on the Fred skate news tonight tonight. The two on the left are apparently father and son/brothers/uncle nephew/whatever. They have bought season tickets for next season already! So that's two lumps of cash extra in this season for the clueless phew.

B0110cks, Newport lost again, now I may have to temper my enthusiasm for a Torquay home win on Saturday, given that County are now only 7 points off the relegation zone (albeit 9 places), and if Torquay win it'll be a maximum of 6 points. :o

They were on the Fred skate news tonight tonight. The two on the left are apparently father and son/brothers/uncle nephew/whatever. They have bought season tickets for next season already! So that's two lumps of cash extra in this season for the clueless phew.

Any one know their email address? I've got a few investment schemes that I would like to show them. Poor sods

If Coppell is the Director of Helping and he has not helped, does he have to pay the Skates to be there?

At least his commitment can't be questioned, can it?

That whole piece gives the distinct impression that he took them at face value until he got there and, like many before him, discovered in short order what a car crash he'd walked into at #tinpotlessportsmouth. It sounds as if he's embarrassed that he didn't look more closely before allowing his name to be linked with them

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/coppell-lifts-lid-on-pompey-presence-1-5944552

‘For me, it is voluntary work. Although, I hope people don’t think “look at the sad old so and so, he hasn’t got anything else to do”.

'I enjoy watching football. If I wasn’t watching Pompey I would go and watch somebody else.’

:lol:

You cant buy loyalty like that, you really cant!

That is right up there with Pennys latest bluewhale PR stunt,and Chesney Hawkes world breaking air guitar attempt at fatpipes!

Pennys triple rotation wardrobe fly-tip demonstration

Pompey taking on Los Angeles, boastful of setting a new world air guitar record, requirement 2500 mongs, fratton park mustered 250 and a CWTB

That is a significant protest.

I'm not sure what the favoured route for Nutjobs is on this one.

Tesco are looking to landlock the stadium forever and the future protection of the stadium now looks pretty fragile, but the only way the Trust works is with the property developers' cash on board.

The club needs that money, and they have already dropped their pants to make it happen.

With Tesco being powerful enough to push stuff through and most councillors having little clue about planning law, I suspect it will go ahead.

In the meantime we will have to put up with more made-up figures about income for the city, and job numbers will be conjured from thin air - plus threats that the club will fold if the nasty local community prevents the supermarket from happening.

All these arguments will be put forward by politicians who are interested in nothing more than harvesting the votes of the dim.

The whole farce is a big paperbag of sh!t.

Sick buckets at the ready, if it all kicks off the plucky poster children of the far right will be wheeled out again to give more pocket money.

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/702590360?-11209:804

Now i wonder what would happen if it gets rejected

I note there is a comment suggesting 18k Pompey fans want the deal to go through. I am not sure if that is necessarily true. Just how reliant are they on the money they will receive if they build goes through? How much is it and when will they get it?

If I am honest I don't think anyone living in that area actually wants the new Tesco. It's not needed. The island already has two large Morrisons, ASDA, Sainsbury's, Waitrose, Lidl, numerous Tesco and Sainsbury's express and countless COOPs. In fact a new Kwiki Mart has recently opened on Goldsmith avenue, pretty much opposite **** park. Not to mention the huge Tesco at Port Solent and Sainsburys at Farlington servicing those entering the island.

Other than supplying PFC with a handout I don't see a genuine reason for this Tesco at all. Not that the Island needs any more flats or houses, but shouldn't a brownfield site like this be used for housing? We keep being told how desperately short of housing we are...

With Tesco being powerful enough to push stuff through and most councillors having little clue about planning law, I suspect it will go ahead.

without enough local support I don't think it will necessarily go through. After all the local people are the customers and if they say they don't need/want it, then I am not sure their plea can be ignored.

My knowledge is limited to the BBC TV show The Planners, but these things seem to all end up going to an appeal. I suspect there are one or two nutjobs on here that can outline exactly how this process will play out?

I'm also interested to know what result you all want.

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/702590360?-11209:804

Now i wonder what would happen if it gets rejected

While there might be two petions of over 2,000 and over 1,000 letters of opposition unless they are well founded objections on relevant planning grounds they are unlikely to make much headway.

That is why I believe the covenant that forbade retail use on some of the former BT/Miland land and which was rescinded by the council recently could be key to it all. If it can be proved that the covenant should not have been withdrawn as it was intended to protect existing local retail outlets and that situation is no different now then there is a good call for a judicial review at least if the planning committee pass the Tesco plan. A JR would eat up another six months, time that Pompey don't have without the Tesco money.

While there might be two petions of over 2,000 and over 1,000 letters of opposition unless they are well founded objections on relevant planning grounds they are unlikely to make much headway.

That is why I believe the covenant that forbade retail use on some of the former BT/Miland land and which was rescinded by the council recently could be key to it all. If it can be proved that the covenant should not have been withdrawn as it was intended to protect existing local retail outlets and that situation is no different now then there is a good call for a judicial review at least if the planning committee pass the Tesco plan. A JR would eat up another six months, time that Pompey don't have without the Tesco money.

wouldn't objections such as increased traffic be well founded? I've read one or two of the objector letters to the council and that seems to be a common thread. I should imagine the letters of objection will follow a similar tack. 1000 is a hell of a number. I assume the quantity of objections is taken into account?

As always with food store applications, it will rest on Policy, Impact studies and traffic issues. When the Retail park was allowed that was primarily to 'prime pump" a brownfield site for regeneration, to help business uses on the remainder. It has laid dormant for a long time, so it will be difficult to resist on loss of industrial land grounds I suspect, especially given the proposals up by the M271. I reckon traffic will be the key as the roads around are always busy/slow and lots of controlled junctions. It will really boil down to whether PCC want it and to help the Football Club as well, I cannot imagine they would have encouraged Robinson to buy and Tescos to proceed unless they were broadly in favour. We shall see!!

As always with food store applications, it will rest on Policy, Impact studies and traffic issues. When the Retail park was allowed that was primarily to 'prime pump" a brownfield site for regeneration, to help business uses on the remainder. It has laid dormant for a long time, so it will be difficult to resist on loss of industrial land grounds I suspect, especially given the proposals up by the M271. I reckon traffic will be the key as the roads around are always busy/slow and lots of controlled junctions. It will really boil down to whether PCC want it and to help the Football Club as well, I cannot imagine they would have encouraged Robinson to buy and Tescos to proceed unless they were broadly in favour. We shall see!!

Bull!!!!!!! this citycouncil is that straight the city crest should be blue n yellow with the word Fyffes thruw the middle,

It will all boil down to whoever has the thickest manila coloured bag in the back pocket!:rolleyes:

That is a significant protest.

All these arguments will be put forward by politicians who are interested in nothing more than harvesting the votes of the dim.

The whole farce is a big paperbag of sh!t.

Which way will Penny swing/flop her PR campaign? There are votes at stake for or against.

FWIW Im against!

PAYMENT, no S, last one coming up, important bit that ;)

No it isn't, they had it in February. And they aren't getting any cash from Tesco, it's all being ringfenced, whatever that means, for the future expansion of the stadium.

Lucky they've got the increased revenues from being in League 1 next season to fill the coffers.

So presumably the 2,000 or so disgruntled residents who signed the petition immediately become Villains.

How can that be on the Septic Island where EVERYBODY supports p****y?

No doubt, they are feckin' scummah sleeper cells, lying under deep cover and in disguise as hard-working shopkeepers and owners of small businesses fearful their livelihoods will disappear under the weight of the retail giant cuckoo that's just about to flop down in their nest.

As their names will be known from signing the petition, surely these villains can they be rounded up and thrown off the island.

The main problem if they don't get planning permission is that their heroic saviour Mr Robinson's only interest in the club is....planning permission.

Without the Tesco gig, for him it is like an away day at Fleetwood - there is no point.

The Property Developing Trust would lose much of their financial support and be left with 100% control of a bit of useless wasteland.

But it would be theirs!

So I reckon the council will embrace Tesco and their lovely plans.

I was involved in the 'Fratton Goods Yard' retail park for B&Q as a consultant.

The Tesco application and all associated documentation will be considered by the council and go to their planning committee.

Any decision really depends on how the opposition lobby support; and speak at the PCC planning meeting where the application will be determined.

If they unnerve the local councillors on the planning committee with their opposition, then those councillors will lose their nerve, and vote against the application.

However it will probably succeed at a planning appeal as the precedent for retail use has previously been established.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})