Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

The choice was there, the forward could have stayed with champions Burton Albion as part of their glorious charge up the leagues, yet he elected to linger precisely where he was.

Pompey was the lure too irresistible to ignore for the McGurk.

:lol:

Hmm, only just found out they've signed McGurk - he's a good lower league player - they must be forking out a wedge to get some of this lot in.

Frankly I'm SHOCKED to see them spunking money at players they probably can't afford in order to mortgage their success... again.

On the flipside, I do expect them to get promoted this season. As do all of their fans, obviously. It'll take a little while to work out that getting themselves into L1 isn't going to pay off the debts they accrue overspending in L2. And getting themselves into the Championship isn't going to pay off the debts they accrue overspending in L1. Because they'll just keep spending money they don't have.

By that point they'll be forfeiting on payments all over the place again anyway, if they haven't been nailed for not paying NI/VAT/other clubs... Who thinks they'll be spending on their infrastructure? :D

The stupid bit being they should be more than capable of getting out of L2 within a reasonable budget, they've surely got at least double the income of most down there. But they just can't help themselves.

Hmm, only just found out they've signed McGurk - he's a good lower league player - they must be forking out a wedge to get some of this lot in.

Frankly I'm SHOCKED to see them spunking money at players they probably can't afford in order to mortgage their success... again.

On the flipside, I do expect them to get promoted this season. As do all of their fans, obviously. It'll take a little while to work out that getting themselves into L1 isn't going to pay off the debts they accrue overspending in L2. And getting themselves into the Championship isn't going to pay off the debts they accrue overspending in L1. Because they'll just keep spending money they don't have.

By that point they'll be forfeiting on payments all over the place again anyway, if they haven't been nailed for not paying NI/VAT/other clubs... Who thinks they'll be spending on their infrastructure? :D

The stupid bit being they should be more than capable of getting out of L2 within a reasonable budget, they've surely got at least double the income of most down there. But they just can't help themselves.

who says they are overspending and getting players in they can't afford? Their income dwarfs the rest of the teams in that league so they can afford to outbid and out pay other teams for players.

I can't see them promising a promotion and then failing to deliver it, they are favourites after all.

So I expect them to rip up the division like the massive club that they are.

I still haven't seen an interview with the floodlights that have dropped down two divisions to be part of the journey...

who says they are overspending and getting players in they can't afford? Their income dwarfs the rest of the teams in that league so they can afford to outbid and out pay other teams for players.

Yes, but signing up older players on 2 and 3 year deals will cause them a headache in a year or two. Again.

The plucky heroes battled hard to score an 89th minute winner against Gosport, who clearly were no match for their more illustrious opponents. The new players seem to be coping well with living up to the legacy of the two-time English league champions

The plucky heroes battled hard to score an 89th minute winner against Gosport, who clearly were no match for their more illustrious opponents. The new players seem to be coping well with living up to the legacy of the two-time English league champions

Hot on the heels of a 1-1 draw vs plucky Bognor, during which their new 'star' signing got injured and left the ground wearing a knee brace...

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-roberts-suffers-injury-at-bognor-1-6857028

I guess if you assume their natural level is somewhere in the bottom half of the Championship (average attendance last season would see them 17th in Championship) then they can afford to pay players those kind of wages. But that's if they're in the Championship. And they're not. Their ground is a drain on costs and it will only get worse every year they don't invest in it.

The issue for them is that they've been getting 15,000 with 11,000 of them at discounted ST rates (and many PST discounts on top of those discounts). They're currently down 2,000 on last year's numbers at the moment. Last year they lost £170k. STs are £300-£350 each - even Newport's seats range from £315-£410 and they're a poky sized club.

They should be spending as little as possible to get out of the division and investing in their crumbling infrastructure. Even if they're paying players just within their means, they're still just stockpiling problems.

I guess if you assume their natural level is somewhere in the bottom half of the Championship (average attendance last season would see them 17th in Championship) then they can afford to pay players those kind of wages. But that's if they're in the Championship. And they're not. Their ground is a drain on costs and it will only get worse every year they don't invest in it.

The issue for them is that they've been getting 15,000 with 11,000 of them at discounted ST rates (and many PST discounts on top of those discounts). They're currently down 2,000 on last year's numbers at the moment. Last year they lost £170k. STs are £300-£350 each - even Newport's seats range from £315-£410 and they're a poky sized club.

They should be spending as little as possible to get out of the division and investing in their crumbling infrastructure. Even if they're paying players just within their means, they're still just stockpiling problems.

Groundhog Day in Fantasy Island.

Even in their promotion winning, cup winning heydays they invested the square root of feck all back into the infrastructure of the club. No training facilities, no ground improvements, no hot water in the ladies loo .... just an artists impression of The Potty Dome. Why change now .... what could possibly go wrong :mcinnes:

Groundhog Day in Fantasy Island.

Even in their promotion winning, cup winning heydays they invested the square root of feck all back into the infrastructure of the club. No training facilities, no ground improvements, no hot water in the ladies loo .... just an artists impression of The Potty Dome. Why change now .... what could possibly go wrong :mcinnes:

Meh, you're ignoring the championship standard floodlights. They'z infrastrukture innit blood!

They lost 170K last year???...........where is the money coming from to cover those losses............can see the board living in Paulsgrove. admin # x (lost count), and liquidation (please) on the horizon.

They lost 170K last year???...........where is the money coming from to cover those losses............can see the board living in Paulsgrove. admin # x (lost count), and liquidation (please) on the horizon.

When did losing money ever stop them ? Avoiding bankruptcy is a way of life for them, they know that the 'country will always rally round' to bail out this piece of 'national heritage'.

I think you're being kind, unless you mean a sewer ?

:):):)

I hope you don't mind but I will continue to play devils advocate here:

With debt repayments now concluded (if that is not the case I'd be interested to know from a nutjob what they have left to pay and to whom), a far greater share of income can be spent on player wages.

They have also offloaded quite a lot of players,freeing up space/wages for these new players.

They are getting Championship size crowds, admittedly they are not getting championship income, but they are not paying Championship wages.

Their goal should be to get promoted, not promoted on the least spend possible.

What problems are they stockpiling?

With debt repayments now concluded (if that is not the case I'd be interested to know from a nutjob what they have left to pay and to whom), a far greater share of income can be spent on player wages.

They have also offloaded quite a lot of players,freeing up space/wages for these new players.

They are getting Championship size crowds, admittedly they are not getting championship income, but they are not paying Championship wages.

I suspect this is where they will repeat their usual mistake.

I suspect this is where they will repeat their usual mistake.

Football league FFP rules will limited what percentage the total of wages are to turnover. League two is set at 55% so they will have to go some to get into trouble, which is possible considering the shed they play in needs to be kept in good repair (safety and capacity) and having training facilities available.

Turnover definition

Under the SCMP rules, the definition of 'Turnover' is particularly important as Turnover is used to determine the maximum wage-spend. Within a traditional accounting perspective, there are usually only three elements of turnover:

• Match-day Income
  • Commercial Income (such as sponsorship)
  • TV revenue (and any 'merit payments' based on league position)

However the Football League use a is broader definition of Turnover. Crucially, the FL Turnover figure includes donations from the owners to the club and injections of equity. Loans from club owners are understandably not included in the Turnover figure as these would result in growing club debts. In League 1 and League 2, a wealthy owner can therefore fund the club spending in a way that is not permitted in other divisions.

Think of Fratton Park as Sh¡t Creek and the parachute payments and Tesco money as paddles.

If they are in any way competent (and that may be the rub) their support and income should see them get promoted out of lg2 easily and reasonably easily lg1 to the Championship. After that though its much, much tougher - in the Championship they will be competing against clubs with more money, grounds which dont need millions spent, proper training grounds of much higher standard, established scouting networks and, most importantly, the ability to outspend Pompey on wages and transfers in the same way Pompey have done to the minnows in lg2.

The should be able to drag themselves out of the eye high **** sometime soon but getting out of the chest high stuff will be tough. Any thought of returning to the PL will be decades away, if ever.

Didn't they take out loans to pay off the player debts "early" (remember, they were actually paying them about 3 years late, and on a slower schedule than anyone thought they would in the first place)? They no longer have the parachute payments either - but as they were meant to be ringfenced to pay off those debts that shouldn't make any difference.

By my reckoning they have the same amount of money as they had the first season in L2, and the second season - but that's IF the player debt repayments came completely from the parachutes, and IF they didn't take on any other debts to make those "early" repayments - which I vaguely recall they did.

The problems they're stockpiling are all of the ones they've had for years - old, expensive to maintain ground, poor training facilities they don't own, no assets, focus on short termism. They should be spending any spare cash on making their club a viable proposition in the longer term.

I get that Chez and we have the default position of assuming the worst :) - but they do tend to offer higher wages and they seem to be dishing out longer deals than those teams around them which suggests that there is still a policy of gambling on success running through the spine of their business plan, if they have one.

Money is going on contracts and out of the door, but the begging bowl comes out for infrastructure.

So they have aged journeymen on three year deals playing in a crumbling relic held together by fat, hope and the plucky tears of young dreamers.

#priorities

I get that Chez and we have the default position of assuming the worst :) - but they do tend to offer higher wages

Their crowds are miles bigger than everyone else's, creating a bigger budget that one assumes can afford higher wages. For me it's not whether they can afford them, it's once again whether they have selected the rights players to hand those wages too. At some point a manager will get it right or right enough. Sadly.

Their crowds are miles bigger than everyone else's, creating a bigger budget that one assumes can afford higher wages. For me it's not whether they can afford them, it's once again whether they have selected the rights players to hand those wages too. At some point a manager will get it right or right enough. Sadly.

Yep, it's a question of whether they have managed to line everything up this season, with the right Manager, combination of players in the squad and they don't have a convoluted training schedule due to their facilities (there is nothing worse for a player if it's not easy to get to, from and the facilities are sh!t). They failed the past two seasons, skirting with relegation, then a lower half finish. Has Cook bought well for them for the third season in League two? We will see, there are also some reasonable sides that will be pushing for promotion as well.

Yep, it's a question of whether they have managed to line everything up this season, with the right Manager, combination of players in the squad and they don't have a convoluted training schedule due to their facilities (there is nothing worse for a player if it's not easy to get to, from and the facilities are sh!t). They failed the past two seasons, skirting with relegation, then a lower half finish. Has Cook bought well for them for the third season in League two? We will see, there are also some reasonable sides that will be pushing for promotion as well.

As much as I hate to admit, they are in good shape for promotion. They've got the right manager and mostly good enough players due to their 'budget'. Luton might push them however that's realistically about it. I'm not convinced by Oxford or Notts County. If I were a betting man I think they'll go up automatically. Even if they slip up they'll surely make the play offs?

As much as I hate to admit, they are in good shape for promotion. They've got the right manager and mostly good enough players due to their 'budget'. Luton might push them however that's realistically about it. I'm not convinced by Oxford or Notts County. If I were a betting man I think they'll go up automatically. Even if they slip up they'll surely make the play offs?

Three promoted makes it easier. Hard to find three that might prevent them (should things go right for them of course, which it might not). Wycombe perhaps, they were unfortunate not to get automatic last season, maybe Leyton Orient can turn it around after a woeful season last time. At the end of last season I suggested Morecombe might be one to watch, so I'm going to have a little bet on them at 28-1 (was hoping for more than that actually).

Am I the only one who is looking forward to them starting to 'climb the leagues'? This languishing in League 2 malarkey has got a bit boring now from a nutjob spectator point of view. Will be much more fun seeing them struggle to cope with competing at a higher level without breaking the bank again...

Will be much more fun seeing them struggle to cope with competing at a higher level .

. and not being able to fill their ground because of a lack of safety certificates, and not getting televised more due to lack of facilities, although presumably the floodlights will be OK and they'll remember to pay SSE..

I know the golden era will end, I was impressed it lasted beyond 2012, so unlike the creditors we have had our moneysworth BUT with a promotion comes the return of deluded simpleton myths.

When they storm League Two the backslapping and noise will increase, and once again they'll be the biggest club in world sport and the last few years will be written from history - apart from the cup and their 2-2 win at SMS that kept us in the Championship.

Then we'll just have the fun of League One...

Three promoted makes it easier. Hard to find three that might prevent them (should things go right for them of course, which it might not). Wycombe perhaps, they were unfortunate not to get automatic last season, maybe Leyton Orient can turn it around after a woeful season last time. At the end of last season I suggested Morecombe might be one to watch, so I'm going to have a little bet on them at 28-1 (was hoping for more than that actually).

I would imagine Plymouth will be there or there abouts. They were last season and are just behind Luton in terms of average attendances.

I was talking to a very knowledgeable Oxford fan - they have spent quite a bit, and he said several others including Bury and Luton are also giving it large. He reckoned ten teams were in with a real shout. He also said Taylor had joined Oxford by choice having turned down a new contract at Skates.

. and not being able to fill their ground because of a lack of safety certificates, and not getting televised more due to lack of facilities, although presumably the floodlights will be OK and they'll remember to pay SSE..

They'll be more than just f@cking OK!

Them there's gonna be championship standard floodlights!

I'm staying in the local area, so will be happy to offer my experience to the club if they ever need my help.

Jonny, Jonny, Jonny - I know they've had some pretty low points in the past but I can't believe they'll ever get that f-ing desperate again.

A thread from POL

This is of course a hyperthetical sp. WHICH OF THE TWO CLUBS PRESENTS THE BEST OPORTUNITY.

Scum are in the prem but do they present the best deal, i.e. what is their debt situation, where can you take the club and what would it cost to buy them.

Likewise Pompey, how much to get them into shape and challenging for the prem. It looks cut and dried, but is it? If you were an investor, where would you put your money?..Can I ask you to put club loyalties aside for this one.

And some responses...

We're the best long term prospect. Mainly because we're so easy to improve.

There'd be far more scope for an Oligarch with an ego to build Pompey in their own image, where as Scums deckchair, flatpack image is mostly set.... That may be an attraction?

Either way has risks but I'd say we'd be more attractive to a long termer

investing in a club such as Pompey would be more beneficial long term profit wise.

What they DON'T have is the great history, the crowds Pompey got in the '40s and '50s or the future prospects. Do they have a season ticket waiting list? To me they have bolted on the middle class redoubts of Eastleigh, the New Forest,Winchester etc. to winch themselves up- just about- to 30,000. They can't go further- unless they give a qaurter of their ground to the London clubs for away games. This wouldn't matter if we inhabited pre-greed, pre-globalisation times akin to Nottingham Forest in the '70s. Even Wenger has remarked about how they could have been challenging to be the best team in Europe: think about the likes of Bale and the rest, if they hadn't been forced to sell. Can an ownership come in make them another Manchester City? I just don't think they have the history, the tradition, the support or the potential. They wouldn't really make a good acquisiton for an owner- it's seventh or eighth at best every year, like it is now.

My favourite comment is this one :lol:

One thing I would do is impose a club salary cap, they're already paying wages that are way over the top

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})