Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

They got a massive game , Derby at home.

Paul Clement, from Bernebau to Fratton in one foul swoop. Welcome to England.

And they'll probably still only get

Pity in a way, two plucky cup wins and they could get battered 7-0 again by our U18s.

And they'll probably still only get

Pity in a way, two plucky cup wins and they could get battered 7-0 again by our U18s.

Surely they'll be turning up in their numbers for the biggest game they'll have this season?

Loved hearing the fixtures on the radio this morning, catering to the two biggest teams on the south coast, and all the glamour ties and dates. Then as a little side note, Pompey will start at home to Dagenham and Redbridge.

Who the **** is laughing now indeed!

Good to see nothing has changed on the transfer front at Pompey as they start to sign a load of former Champ and L1 players in their 30s on three-year contracts again. Seems they are incapable of learning.

http://m.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/gary-roberts-on-his-way-to-pompey-1-6801774

I liked this bit in the same report: "However, another target – Jimmy Ryan –is reportedly closing in on a move to Fleetwood Town."

Now they get beaten to targets by the mighty Fleetwood Town.

Surely that can't be right? Why would any player pass up the chance to play in front of the loudest, bestest, biggest, etc, etc, to play in front of a bunch of fishermen who spend their time trying to catch skates?

Fleetwood: home of the Lofthouse company which created the Fisherman's Friend.

Loved hearing the fixtures on the radio this morning, catering to the two biggest teams on the south coast, and all the glamour ties and dates. Then as a little side note, Pompey will start at home to Dagenham and Redbridge.

Who the **** is laughing now indeed!

Any excuse to roll-out an old friend

29z3bx1.jpg

This journeyman is a "marquee" signing who says he can handle the pressure!

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/roberts-ready-to-be-star-man-1-6803953

GARY ROBERTS promised he can handle the expectation of being a marquee signing at Pompey.

Roberts today sealed his long-awaited move to Fratton Park on a three-year deal for an undisclosed five-figure fee.

Roberts today sealed his long-awaited move to Fratton Park on a three-year deal for an undisclosed five-figure fee.

I suppose that £100.11 would be a five figure sum but I doubt that is the case.

I thought that there were transfer embargoes in place that stiopped the plucky few from spending monet on transfer fees. When was this embargo lifted?

I suppose that £100.11 would be a five figure sum but I doubt that is the case.

I thought that there were transfer embargoes in place that stiopped the plucky few from spending monet on transfer fees. When was this embargo lifted?

Have you learned nothing in the past 6 years!? ;)

GARY ROBERTS promised he can handle the expectation of being a marquee signing at Pompey.

That all needs to be read slowly, and twice in order to appreciate it fully.

I thought Matt Tubbs was their top man, He'll be demanding an extra £20 a week now.

The 'Pompey Pirlo' apparently.

I know last season was funny with their flirtation with relegation to non-league and losing to Andover. But if they fail to get promotion again this season, it will be hilarious. They are all so confidant and I've even seen the faithful "walk the league" comment. They should win it, but if they don't I will take so much joy from the meltdown.

Around the same time that Baker Tilly published the conclusions of their "forensic investigation" into the club's finances I reckon....

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/catlin-has-no-pitch-concerns-over-early-pompey-schedule-1-6803962

Pompey had lodged a request with the Football League for their opening fixture to be played away.

That was to provide the new Fratton pitch with more time to bed in.

Catlin said: ‘There are no concerns whatsoever about the pitch, it will be ready for the start of the season.

‘We had requested our first game of the season to be away, but the Football League couldn’t accommodate it.

‘However, the work is done and the pitch will be fine.’

So, to paraphrase...."even though the pitch will be absolutely fine, we'll put in a request so that it has an extra week of being absolutely fine, just without any games being played on it, because why would anyone in their right minds want to play on a pitch that has no problems whatsoever...?"

Nothing to do with the Madness concert delaying the start of the re-surfacing process of course...

:mcinnes:

Edited by trousers

Around the same time that Baker Tilly published the conclusions of their "forensic investigation" into the club's finances I reckon....

That reminds me, I meant to post this 3 months ago.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11674/9783211/portsmouth-creditors-facing-wait-for-cash

Baker Tilly, an independent firm of chartered accountants and business advisers, has been investigating the liquidated company for four years, and revealed they may require two more years to establish whether creditors will receive any further funds.

"Work to realise assets for the benefit of creditors is ongoing but our best estimate is that the matter is not likely to be concluded for the next 1-2 years." said Baker Tilly, in a statement to Sky Sports News HQ.

That reminds me, I meant to post this 3 months ago.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11674/9783211/portsmouth-creditors-facing-wait-for-cash

Baker Tilly, an independent firm of chartered accountants and business advisers, has been investigating the liquidated company for four years, and revealed they may require two more years to establish whether creditors will receive any further funds.

"Work to realise assets for the benefit of creditors is ongoing but our best estimate is that the matter is not likely to be concluded for the next 1-2 years." said Baker Tilly, in a statement to Sky Sports News HQ.

Blimey. 6 years to investigate a tinpot football club's finances? Nice work if you can get it.

p.s. who's paying for this investigation?

Blimey. 6 years to investigate a tinpot football club's finances? Nice work if you can get it.

p.s. who's paying for this investigation?

This. They will continue to investigate right up to the point their fees equal the value of the remaining assets, after which they will announce the conclusion of six years work "no funds for shareholders, very sorry."

Forgive me fellow nutjobbers for having lost the plot on this one, but if this forensic investigation unearths significant historic financial wrong doings, could Pompey face retrospective sanctions? Or to ask it another way, how similar is this to what happened to Luton Town a while back when, if I recall correctly, they received retrospective punishment due to the misdemeanors of previous owners? Does the fact that Pompey are now a different corporate entity shield them from such an eventuality?

OMG that is so bad, it was like watching Crossroads - you want to turn it off but its awfulness is so captivating

FF

Crossroads!!!

That brought back some memories.

Coming home from school and later work and religiously putting on the TV to watch wooden acting on a balsa wood set.

The feeling of guilt watching such rubbish was overridden by the expectation that it couldn't get any worse and it generally did.

I guess modern day Pompey supporters must suffer in the same way.

At least it didn't cost anything to watch Crossroads!!

FF

Crossroads!!!

That brought back some memories.

Coming home from school and later work and religiously putting on the TV to watch wooden acting on a balsa wood set.

The feeling of guilt watching such rubbish was overridden by the expectation that it couldn't get any worse and it generally did.

I guess modern day Pompey supporters must suffer in the same way.

At least it didn't cost anything to watch Crossroads!!

Used to work with a guy who served in the Falklands. He said that the troops used to refer to the Falklanders as "Bennys" due to their somewhat unsophisticated ways.

Used to work with a guy who served in the Falklands. He said that the troops used to refer to the Falklanders as "Bennys" due to their somewhat unsophisticated ways.

Until the squaddies were told to stop using that term, at which point they became 'Still's - still Bennys.

OMG that is so bad, it was like watching Crossroads - you want to turn it off but its awfulness is so captivating

A good summary FF. What I took out of it is that Xavi's agent (presumably that is the calibre of player who they were talking about right? Iconic, respected, marquee signing...) told them that the player had 3 year deal offers already on the table so the Skates would have to offer the same, which they duly did, and probably with an increased salary. Falling for a classic sales tactic. They never learn do they.

The 'Pompey Pirlo' apparently.

I know last season was funny with their flirtation with relegation to non-league and losing to Andover. But if they fail to get promotion again this season, it will be hilarious. They are all so confidant and I've even seen the faithful "walk the league" comment. They should win it, but if they don't I will take so much joy from the meltdown.

You're a year behind, they didn't even flirt with relegation last season, they were just incredibly mediocre all season long. Apart from losing to Newport twice, again.

Forgive me fellow nutjobbers for having lost the plot on this one, but if this forensic investigation unearths significant historic financial wrong doings, could Pompey face retrospective sanctions? Or to ask it another way, how similar is this to what happened to Luton Town a while back when, if I recall correctly, they received retrospective punishment due to the misdemeanors of previous owners? Does the fact that Pompey are now a different corporate entity shield them from such an eventuality?

If there's evidence of dodgy financial dealings they will definitely be facing the wrath of the new lovelier post-Mawhinney Football League, the one which deducted them ten points when already relegated from L1 and didn't hold it over until the next season even though it's against their own rules.

Luton's then-new owners (may even have been a fan-led consortium) got completely nailed to the wall for the previous regime's mistakes, I remember Nick Owen saying how unfair it was, but they took the punishment, got relegated out of the FL, took 5 years or so to get back, and finished above the Skates last season.

I somehow doubt the current lot would want to punish a fan-run club... :mcinnes:

They have nothing to do with what went on at that time, it was a completely different business, and it's not like they gained anything from two administrations.

I think it would be unfair to punish them, they were punished twice for one offence before, and that wasn't even an offence, the money was just resting in their account.

The nasty Football League need to stop picking on the only one-year-old club that boasts a very selective history that spans 123 years.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})