Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

[quote=Corporate Ho;747989

Our fans are universally recognised as better than yours, we reached two cup finals and won a trophy and you hate it. get over it and you'll feel better They have been lauded in the past few seasons. I think as you have an ancient stadium that is so compact and unusual in the modern age, it does give the impression that you make a lot of noise.

The Dell used to be like that, but we have now moved to a modern stadium where the facilities are up to modern standards. Sometimes that is to the detriment of the atmosphere. Some games the stadium is electric, but due to our position in the leagues the ground is not full it loses that....oh yours it not full either.

We will see how you are perceived in the next decade or so when you are not lording it.

I myself think that Alan Ball was the catalyst to your fans reputation. He encouraged the drums and bells etc when you were battling relegation and that got the tribal atmosphere going. Whilst there have been times that Pompey have tried to rid yourselves of like W******d, the club has realised that when things are going poorly you need him and his crew.

As for universally recognised, i think if you watched the tv highlights of the JPT you would see what the main commentator thinks of our support.

Heims is the guy who tried to buy Chelsea for £700m last season (Abramovich turned him down). There's lots of talk that, as he's involved with Al Fahim in Falcon Equity that he's the/ one of Al Fahim's backers. He's certainly advising Al Fahim. Read into that what you will.

"The German fund manager who says he is putting together a bid for Chelsea today said he had assembled a consortium of eight international investors interested in buying the club.

Holger Heims, an investment manager at Falcon Equity, said in an interview with Reuters that he and a group of six to seven other investors from Europe, the Middle East and Asia (does that sound familiar to anyone?) were preparing a takeover offer for the club but that they would not launch a hostile bid.

He said Dr Sulaiman al Fahim, who represented Sheikh Mansour in his £200m takeover of Manchester City but was later sidelined after making a series of intemperate claims about transfer targets, was also working with the Switzerland-based private equity firm on a proposal to buy the west London club.

So far no talks had been held with the owner, Roman Abramovich, Heims said. "We have no intention of launching a hostile takeover. This is only possible as a friendly deal," he added. Heims said he aimed to push the Chelsea brand further and saw strong growth potential in Asia and the Arab world.

Heims declined to say how much the group was prepared to pay for Chelsea but said the investment had to add up in the medium to long run.

Chelsea's chief executive, Peter Kenyon, has insisted that Abramovich, whose other investments have been hit by the global economic slump, is as committed to the club as ever. The Russian oligarch has threatened to sue the Sunday Times after it claimed he was looking for a buyer in the Middle East and earlier this month Kenyon told fans that any suggestion he was looking to sell was "rubbish".

"There has been a lot of rumour and speculation surrounding Chelsea and the owner's commitment to the club," Kenyon told a fan's forum this month. "I can assure you on his behalf that this is totally unfounded and anything else you might read about this is rubbish. Chelsea is not for sale. The owner has not and is not looking to sell his interest in the club and he remains as committed as ever."

Chelsea made a loss of £74.8m in 2007 but have promised to break even by 2010. The club believe that when their financial statements for 2008 are made public in the middle of next month, they will underline Abramovich's ongoing commitment.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jan/27/chelsea-takeover-holger-heims-roman-abramovich

I think you're on the right lines. I don't believe any of the players could be sold without Al Fahim's consent, given that he's looking to buy the club and any sale would affect the value he must give his OK and that would obviously affect what he's willing to pay. Not sure you're right about what we would have to spend to improve the squad. Johnson is a big loss but is only a right back and as I've said, the widely reported "exodus" of players is nearly all deadwood that never played for the first team (Djimi Traore anyone?). Look at it this way, the only reason Al Fahim would want us is if we're in the Prem - why would he fail to spend the money necessary to keep us there? It wouldn't make sense. Fans are naturally anxious to see what happens but if the takeover happens (and everything I'm told and read suggests it will) I'm confident we'll have enought o finish at least mid table. Don't believe we'll be making huge signings (as some on here seem to be saying I and other Pompey fans are suggesting - show me where I've posted that please) but we'll sign players good enough to do the job.

Clapham, you're a fine one to be talking about slective acceptance. You posted that we were losing £2m a month but I proved that we've knocked over £20m off our wage bill over the past year in wages of players we've sold. I don't see how you can disagree with what I posted. Similarly, you said that it would be cheaper to buy Newcastle than Pompey. Again, you were selective as you used a potential buying price of £60m as "some reports have said they've received bids of this amount". No mention of the fact that Ashley has repeatedly said he wants £100m for the club and despite me posting a report from Deloitte proving that they have debts of £238m which you denied was the case. You ignored this and failed to mention it in any follow up.

Finally, when did I say we were debt free and operating at a profit? I said I believed we'd reduced debts considerably, a fact backed up by the amount of players we've sold and reports in "quality" (for want of a better word) papers. Most media outlets now seem to agree that our debt is down to somewhere in the mid £20m's and possibly even lower. The accounts you were talking about are around 18 months out of date.

You seem like an intelligent guy but also seem to be falling into the trap a lot of the dicks on here fall into - dismissing what I say without actually reading or understanding it. Re-read what I said again. I accept that there are ongoing costs and that Storrie has said he can't rule out more players sales but our debts and operating costs have been reduced significantly since the figures you keep quoting

The broadsheets are reporting that our debts in May 2008 were £44m and have been reduced considerably since then. Been widely quoted as having to pay £27m loan back to Standard Bank SA by the end of September - hence the sale of Crouch, Johnson etc not just to reduce the wage bill but pay back the monies owed.

Happy to review if you can post the accounts you speak of. But these are the "facts" as are being reported.

Not yet. But he has flown to England to undergo a medical and should sign later today or tomorrow. Article from the Croatian press showing him at the airport.

http://jutarnji.hr/sport/nogomet/clanak/art-2009,7,28,,171083.jl

Your "fact" seems to be less than factual. Kalinic is here to sign for a fee of £6m+. We've also bid a fee of somewhere between £2.5 - £3.5m (reports vary) for Mahamadou Dabo, a young French full back who's just broken into the full french team and we've also bid something like £3m for Ross McCormack from Cardiff with more players reportedly on the way. What's McCormack like? You lot must have seen him play last season.

I believe that's the case. Gaydamak got behind on payments to Standard Bank in South Africa and Crouch had to be sold to pay it off. Looks like Utaka and Belhadj might go as well. having said that, most Pompey fans would drive Utaka to his next club for nothing. He hasn't done a lot since he came here. Belhadj played against eastleigh though so maybe he'll stay.

I don't think it's a case of no-one wanting to answer, more that it hasn't been reported anywhere. If it's been made public you should be able to find out just as easily as any Pompey fan, surely. I asked a friend at the club and was told it's somewhere around 12,000 so far but with numbers expected to go to the full 16,000 once the takeovers completed and new players start to arrive to calm people down a bit.

Nice to see you registered and posting on a Pompey website too. :D

Originally Posted by Crab Lungs

Corp, I bet you will buy none of those players you have listed. Stop playing FM and making up fictional transfers.

Not making anything up Crabbie. These were rumours and gossip from various websites (Tribal etc). Key word here (as usual - not sure how many times I have to say it) is gossip. I'm not saying these players will join us but you're ones gloating over tabloid reports that we're going to sign players from Forest and taking it as fact but when I post rumours like this you consider them rubbish. Seems a little confusing to me/

FWIW, reports in Croatia are saying that Kalinic should join us early this week for around £6.5m. If that happens, where does that leave your "facts" that we have no money? (I'll cut and paste what some Croatian Pompey fans have posted on Pompey sites at the bottom of this post as you seem so interested. The links about us signing Gomis, Obinna etc came from the Gazzetta dello Sport (sp?) and L'Equipe if you want to look them up. They've been widely reported.

Time for you to remove your head from the Southsea shingle and admit;

You are interested in a player released by Crewe.

You are interested in a 3rd division french player.

We're trialling them. Hart managed Bopp at Forest and thought he had a good future. If they look good enough we might sign them. If they don't we won't. As I said above, if we have no money, how come we're spending £6.5m on a striker from Croatia?

You are interested in a UAE player.

Al Fahim has talked about signing a player from the UAE. Man City signed Thai players when Shinawatra bought them. They never got near the first team.

You didn't want Paul Hart as manager but because of the uncertaintity, you could attract no-one else.

I certainly didn't want Hart as manager but he did OK last year. I'd rather have him than Adams. From what I hear he's just the cheap option so if new owners come in and want their own man Hart will not cost a fortune to pay off. Do you really think there aren't managers out of work out there who wouldn't have jumped at the chance of managing a Prem club, no matter what the circimstances. I suspect that if new owners come in as rumoured then a new manager will arrive and Hart will step back to his academy role having got a nice pay rise out of it.

You still have absolutely no idea when your new floating, flying space-age stadium and training ground will be built. You still have no idea where.

True. Although we do know where the training ground will be. Until the ownership is settled 100% nothing's going to happen either front

You are about to sell the one player who might just be able to save you from relegation.

Who? Crouch? LOL. The player who scored 3 goals in the last 15 league games last season, 2 of which were in one match. I like Crouch but he's lost in the 4 5 1 formation we play under Hart. He's not mobile enough and too slow to close defenders down. He's a good player but not for how we play now.

You are still heavily in debt and the plug could be pulled at any minute.

Most of the debt is secured against Gaydamak personally, not the club.

Dr Al-Fialka may not be all he is cracked up to be.

Al Fahim was just a front man for someone who pulled out. That's been widely noted by almost everyone, me included in this very thread. Try telling me something new Crabby

Quite frankly, you are mess, and it's about time you admit that.

As for me, I take no joy in your predicament. I might have a giggle on here but I don't mean it, especially after the experience SFC has just had. Though we have a genuine billionaire with seemingly sound judgement, you are trying discredit him and say that he won't spend any money? How long has he been in the job? How long has Pardew had in the job? We'll sign players and we'll probably open chequebook if need be, I've no doubt about that.

I'm not trying to discredit him at all. I just repeated what he said himself, that he won't be splashing lots of cash on players. It also seems that you've either sold or are set to sell a lot of your better players. You might buy really good replacements. We'll have to wait and see. Pompey might do the same.

The agonising thing for you guys is that we rebuilding, whereas the bloodletters at Portsmouth (Storrie... what a **** that bloke is sanctioning first the overspend, then the firesale) are crimping as much as they can from the squad in preperation for ... well, I don't even want to think about it and it must be the same for you, too. You are selling because the plug can be pulled at any minute, in your heart of hearts, you know that.

Storrie's just an employee, doing what he's told by his boss. Can't understand whjy people (Pompey fans included) slag him off. He's just doing his job. He's on a big salary as widely reported but he actually does a lot more than most other Prem CEO's as the others have teams of people below them. Storrie does most of it himself.

As for the plug being pulled, if that's the case, as I've already said, why are we spending £6.5m on a striker. Your claim doesn't make sense

Corp, I do believe the fat lady is clearing her throat for the encore...

This is what the Croatian Pompey fans have posted about the Kalinic deal. Latest report is that it's due to be completed today with £4m paid up front. Not saying we won't sell more players but I'd suggest you wait and see who we bring in before the window closes before gloating too much (not you Crabby, the rest on here).

FWIW, I think we'll be in danger of going down IF we don't get some decent signings in. But I'll reserve judgement until I know what the squad's going to look like.

http://www.slobodnadalmacija.hr/Nogo...8/Default.aspx

Now they are saying the transfer fee is 7.5m euros.

- My dream has come true! It's not yet finalized, but God willing everything will be ok. And if it does go ok, I think I'll already be going tomorrow to England to have a medical and sign the contract.

- Portsmouth is a big club, and the premiership, along with the premiera, is the strongest league in the world. Playing in Portsmouth would be a great challenge for me, an opportunity to prove myself, and to justify the faith shown in me, particularly people like manager Paul Hart, who insisted on my transfer.

- The season starts already in August and I can't wait to play against the best, Liverpool, Manchester United and Chelsea. My first goal is to earn a place in the team. Oh, if I could already in the first round, when Fulham comes to us, be in the first team!

- There won't be a problem, I believe I can hold my own against anyone. I believe that England suits me even better than Spain.

He was recovering from injury and says he'll be ready to join in the first practice once he arrives in England.

He'll share the dressing room with Niko Kranjcar, who was instrumental in bringing him to Pompey.

- I haven't spoken to Niko yet, but I heard he spoke highly of me. I thank him for everything he has done for me. When I get to England he'll once again, I hope, be a big help to me, even in regards to the language. I understand English well, but I have to perfect speaking it.

Not going to heppen, certainly not signing Eto'o/ Villa etc but wouldn't be surprised to see Maradona acting as some sort of "ambassador" (call it what you want) for PFC as he is allegedly quite good friends with Al Fahim. Only in the short term though. From what I hear the new investment Al Fahim wants to bring in will possibly be buying him out even by the Jan transfer window. It's clear there were always investors behind him who were providing the funding and whilst he's not exactly a pauper he's not got the funds to plough into the club that was talked about at the start.

Professional bodies, registrars, judges etc not behaving in the way a group of completely unbiased mongs on an internet forum expected.

If you were outsiders which of those groups would you expect to be best able to appraise the situation and act appropriately?

This whole thread exists because you're bitter about Pompey being above you in the league and you can't take it. Add in the fact that we actullly achieved something in our time in the top flight and it just rubs salt in your wounds. It also galls you that the Pompey fans are consistently recognised by the media for their support when you might get the odd mention once a year for having decent gates in Lg 1.

There used to be lots of talk about Pompey buying their way into the PL and achhieving success through a sugar daddy. None of you girls seem to be opposed to that sort of success for yourselves (assuming Liebherr's support isn't starting to dry up as a few of you seem to think).

Our fans are universally recognised as better than yours, we reached two cup finals and won a trophy and you hate it. get over it and you'll feel better

Fantastic. 2nd best bday present today.

Professional bodies, registrars, judges etc not behaving in the way a group of completely unbiased mongs on an internet forum expected.

If you were outsiders which of those groups would you expect to be best able to appraise the situation and act appropriately?

This whole thread exists because you're bitter about Pompey being above you in the league and you can't take it. Add in the fact that we actullly achieved something in our time in the top flight and it just rubs salt in your wounds. It also galls you that the Pompey fans are consistently recognised by the media for their support when you might get the odd mention once a year for having decent gates in Lg 1.

There used to be lots of talk about Pompey buying their way into the PL and achhieving success through a sugar daddy. None of you girls seem to be opposed to that sort of success for yourselves (assuming Liebherr's support isn't starting to dry up as a few of you seem to think).

Our fans are universally recognised as better than yours, we reached two cup finals and won a trophy and you hate it. get over it and you'll feel better

......you are a bunch of cheats and the comments from your good self at the beginning of this epic are comedy gold.

The Football League annual meeting is in Malta 6th to 8th June.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/latestnews/20100603/malta-partnership-announced_2245681_2063057

Some Pompey news may come out of it perhaps.

Why do they have to go to Malta to have a FL meeting? Somewhat typifies the wastefulness of the people in charge. Hope they sort things out and knock AA down a few pegs as it's about time he has more to winge about

Why do they have to go to Malta to have a FL meeting? Somewhat typifies the wastefulness of the people in charge. Hope they sort things out and knock AA down a few pegs as it's about time he has more to winge about

will not have the b*lls to do it, for fear of upsetting the best supporters in the world who are renewing season tickets in their droves and will fill fratton every week next season.

whole thing still stinks

And you believe this?

It would depend what my incentives were

This whole thread exists because you're bitter about Pompey being above you in the league and you can't take it.

In case you hadn't noticed you are running out of leagues mate

Add in the fact that we actullly achieved something in our time in the top flight and it just rubs salt in your wounds.

27 years aint a bad achievement

It also galls you that the Pompey fans are consistently recognised by the media for their support when you might get the odd mention once a year for having decent gates in Lg 1.

Yeah by your OWN fans

Suggest you read the main board, but thats an oxymoron in itself

Our fans are universally recognised as better than yours, we reached two cup finals and won a trophy and you hate it. get over it and you'll feel better.

If you are refering to the universe that starts at J11 and ends at J12 I can't argue

We'll give you a wave on the way by.

2A846274E184E18FB3AA5A84FCF817.jpg

Looks like James must be staying at Notarf Krap then. In keeping with his new salary package he's just been out and bought himself some new wheels ;)

Of course, it did used to have four wheels but...

Well, you know how it is in Portsmuff don't you? He probably left it outside his gaff overnight. :D

http://www.dna.fr/articles/201004/13/sain-parmi-les-saints,football,000006155.php

You can read the full article at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Southampton/Morgan-Schneiderlin/118552260489#!/notes/morgan-schneiderlin/sain-parmi-les-saints-/101193699923837

That's what it's like to TRULY be recognised as good fans, when even the French are acknowledging the English as being good at something.

Your fans MIGHT be universally recognised as better than ours, but only on Portsea Island.

http://www.dna.fr/articles/201004/13/sain-parmi-les-saints,football,000006155.php

You can read the full article at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Southampton/Morgan-Schneiderlin/118552260489#!/notes/morgan-schneiderlin/sain-parmi-les-saints-/101193699923837

That's what it's like to TRULY be recognised as good fans, when even the French are acknowledging the English as being good at something.

Your fans MIGHT be universally recognised as better than ours, but only on Portsea Island.

http://www.infosracing.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=419581

Associated with this article is the view of some French fans - also I didn't realise we rejected an approach from Nantes for Morgan.

Yawn...Your 'club' is dead - it doesn't matter to us...it's just an intellectual plaything for one subject line on a Saints forum that you can't seem to let alone. I'd say get a life but what chance have you got given the evidence?

Question... If portsmouth were stil paying thier debts to the taxman under a CVA over 5 years ..... would that block them from European competition for 5 years,

Would the leauge apply sanctions like ban them from purchasing players and/or fine them for those 5 years?

This is the first time i've been on this thread, and i have now contributed the 27,126th post on the 543rd page. I am scared that our obsession with our neighbours is taking over what it means to be a supporter. Now not being local, I admit I dont share the rivalry that some of you do, but surely people should spend more time obsessing over their own club than someone elses?

This is the first time i've been on this thread, and i have now contributed the 27,126th post on the 543rd page. I am scared that our obsession with our neighbours is taking over what it means to be a supporter. Now not being local, I admit I dont share the rivalry that some of you do, but surely people should spend more time obsessing over their own club than someone elses?

I'm sorry, but if you are unable to walk and chew gum, then you had better ignore the last 11 months hard work.

those who don't get the obsession can't have travelled east of the Hamble in red and white.

If your missus or kids had been abused in the street just for wearing a shirt you would have an opinion on those that dish it out.

So all those back in the cosy wardroom can just worry about Saints, the rest of us in the front line trenches will not only do that but we'll keep an eye on the enemy as well, on your behalf.

those who don't get the obsession can't have travelled east of the Hamble in red and white.

If your missus or kids had been abused in the street just for wearing a shirt you would have an opinion on those that dish it out.

So all those back in the cosy wardroom can just worry about Saints, the rest of us in the front line trenches will not only do that but we'll keep an eye on the enemy as well, on your behalf.

East of the Hamble!!

I have been abused in places as far flung as Edgbaston Cricket Ground and Animal Kingdom in Orlando.

They deserve everything that they get!!

A woman skate tried to fiddle the company I work for here in NZ when she realised I was a Saints fan,

some of them are nasty wherever they are in the World.

Having said that though I have met a couple of decent skates over here, one young lady I meet regularly is in fact

a very pleasant human being. I haven't met her boyfriend though so I don't know if he is a skate or a Kiwi. :D

It's all a matter of perspective.

They, in general, hate us with a vengeance more than we, in general, hate them. They don't understand why we don't hate them like they do us and they base all their arguments on their perception that we are jealous and envious of them (As if!). We just view them as a father would an errent son so we patronise them and pity them.

We know that this thread gets the goat of some so it serves as a major source of amusement in the close season while we await our next wonderful season here at St. Marys.

Try walking through their city in a red and white striped shirt and you'll be subjected to a hail of abuse. Then when their football fans see you!

They do not get the same treatment over this way.

Should their club go to the wall I just wonder which club will have the misfortune of their affections.

Fook Off! Skate Lover!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saint Till I Die!

Fook Off! Skate Lover!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saint Till I Die!

Calm down! Being stranded in the west midlands myself I know it is easy to lose perspective on just how fierce things are down there.

It is amazing that we have a thread like this, but it's even more incredible that the skates themselves have no single equivalent.

Having once had the misfortune to visit Nottarf Krap for a Skates v Wolves game...I can honestly say it was the most oppressive atmosphere I'd been to.

Just generally (I know, but from the ones I encountered) I found the Skate fans to be unpleasant. And I was sat amongst them...long story but a mate of mine supports Wolves.

No colours on show...mind you, some skates had a radio on during the exodus from the rabbit warren. I think we were away at Highfield Road that day...we sneaked a point.

I held it in.....after escaping Nottarf in 1984 when 'the gratest fans in the world' were lugging bricks at coaches with families in it, just because they were saints.

And they call us 'Scum'....

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})