Final Position 2010/2011 [Poll?]

StuRomseySaint

Where do you expect/hope we finish next season?

I expect us to finish champions next year, with the safety buffer of second place... if there is some kind of major disaster then we have a last resort of the play-offs.

I hope next season we are 100% focused on the league and play the youngsters in the early rounds of all 3 cups.

Nothing less than promotion is acceptable.

Que people mentioning Leeds and Nottingham Forest... they have been 'big' names in this division only in name, both clubs did not have money to spend and did not have the quality we have.

By the start of next season we should have the best 11 players in their respective divisions in League 1, with replacements who would get into most League 1 teams... so there is no excuses.

Southampton FC - League 1 Champions 2011 - You heard it here first.

Edited by StuRomseySaint

champions....failing that, 2nd will do...anything less will be a failure..regardless of who is the manager

I agree.

I said at the start of the season that I would take mid-table this year and go up as Champions next. At times this season we've played football that would easily beat many Championship teams, there's no reason why we shouldn't be Champions of League One.

If you're asking my expectations for next season NOW, absolute minimum is promotion, top 2 is realistic, and Champions I hope.

With our financial resources compared to other sides, added to the basis of our existing successful squad, our form since October and the benefits of a fully-planned pre-season, we really should be the team to beat next season.

I'd expect us to come in the top 6 with the current squad (although obviously a few of those won't be staying due to age, ability or contract status).

Having said all that if we lose our first match I won't be screaming for the manager's head, Pardew's done more than enough to suggest he'll get the right kind of results.

Promoted by Easter, preferably as Champions; and since Easter is a bit late next year (April 24) this is achievable. Whilst this might be a tough target, I have no doubt that we can do it. This season (2009/10) has been quite remarkable, AP has achieved an amazing turnaround and I am fully confident of his and the teams ability to deliver.

Suppose I should qualify my optimism with a rider about injuries - we've been pretty lucky not to have major injuries this season - Murty was covered reasonably quickly and well, as was Kelvin - but the loss of Hammond and Schneiderlin no doubt cost us points.

If we lost Lambert or Lallana for a few months we might struggle a bit.

I'm sticking 1k on us getting promoted so any position from 1-6 will do as long as we are out of this sorry league come may 2011.

After a poor first ten games, we've maintained automatic promotion form without frankly playing brilliant in many games and breaking sweat. With Jan's signings bedded in and a few new faces to arrive (and admiittedly depart) over the summer, I can't see us being stopped.

Edited by shurlock

Pardew is on record as saying the players he is buying this transfer window will be top quality players who are good enough to get us into the Premiership, regardless whether we got promoted this season or not.

I have no doubt that regardless of who leaves, we will start next season with the best players in their respective positions in the league.

I think we are in for an exciting season.

1st or 2nd, anything else will be a massive disapointment either way you look at it.

i expect us to be challenging for the top 2 all season - if we're scuffling around in the playoff places all season (like huddersfield this season for e.g.) then Pardew will be gone very quickly.

the expectation next year will be massive, possibly bigger than our 6th placed season in the championship. We will be favourites above any of the relegated sides in the bookies, media ad fans views.

That in it's self is a different kind of pressure. Will be interesting to see how we respond to it.

I'll answer this when we know

What players we're losing

What players we're signing

Who our manager is

When we know which league we're in. (it's not mathematically over)

This - can't believe how some are giving up on us before it's actually over. It's highly unlikely we'll get to the play-offs now, but there IS still a chance.

This - can't believe how some are giving up on us before it's actually over. It's highly unlikely we'll get to the play-offs now, but there IS still a chance.

Really ? I think we'll go up next season but the chances of Huddersfield failing to get 3 points from their last 3 matches and us getting in the play-offs this time around is now negligible. After last night we can't catch Charlton or Swindon, which reduces our chances further, and having failed to win our game in hand we're still behind Colchester. As they are playing Huddersfield, we also need Colchester to slip up somewhere in their other two games.

And Huddersfield are playing the bottom side on Saturday for a start - if they lose that and Colchester slip up and Saints win I might give it the time of day again, but at the moment, it's a massive outsider.

Edited by The9

If you look at our form since Jan you have to believe we can win this league if we can keep our top players and manager we should win it.

We need to stay stable and bring in 2 or 3 quality signings at centre mid & right back & ship out the dross.

A good pre season level playing field and we have the team and manager to become champions of this league.

I have been chatting to quite a few fans of other league 1 clubs and they consistently say we are the best side they have played this season.There will be a lot of expectation on us next season as the rest of the league think we will win it.

Anything less than promotion next season is failure we have done very well this season as well as can be expected next season we have no escuse

I believe we will give priority to the League next season, I doubt if we had not been on -10 and then had a bad start which all but ended our promotion hopes ( done well to still be in with a shout IMO) and made so many new signings we would have played such strong teams and especially in the JPT. However, getting the players playing together but perhaps more importantly getting the winning mentality was very important so I've no problems with the teams we've fielded though I'm sure next season players like Lambert and Lallana ( both of whom I expect to be here along with Fonte and Morgan, indeed pretty much most of our squad) will be rested for cup games. If we lose anyone it will only be because they want to leave or we receive an offer too good to refuse and even then I expect several very good quality signings and our squad to be even stronger. I don't believe I'm the only one who has enjoyed this season after the misery of the past few years and one man I really want to stay is Pardew, no doubt at all in my mind he's the man to take us forward. I know others disagree, your prerogative but in 45 years of supporting Saints we've not had too many better managers, Ted Bates and LM for sure, maybe WGS though I'm not as enthusiastic as some about him albeit I liked him as a manager and a person, the same thing I can say about AP.

Really ? I think we'll go up next season but the chances of Huddersfield failing to get 3 points from their last 3 matches and us getting in the play-offs this time around is now negligible. After last night we can't catch Charlton or Swindon, which reduces our chances further, and having failed to win our game in hand we're still behind Colchester. As they are playing Huddersfield, we also need Colchester to slip up somewhere in their other two games.

And Huddersfield are playing the bottom side on Saturday for a start - if they lose that and Colchester slip up and Saints win I might give it the time of day again, but at the moment, it's a massive outsider.

As I posted elsewhere:

You're probably right, but if the miraculous happens and Stockport win, the pressure will be on. 3 draws no longer a way for them to get 3 points so must beat Colchester, who still have everything to play for, or Exeter away and they're no pushover.

Likewise, a draw at Stockport and loss to Colchester keeps hopes alive, but of course the moment they get a win, it's all over.

Oh, just remembered - we have to win all 3 without Spiderman.

Realistically, I'll be deliriously happy if there's still a mathematical chance on the last day.

And whatever happens, it's been a great season. There are too many with short memories who seem to have forgotten the early season ambition to avoid relegation, or at best achieve mid-table.

Seriously, you are joking right? I bet your girlfriend dumped you 3 years ago and you still wait for her to text and tell you that she loves you. :lol:

Pardew is on record as saying the players he is buying this transfer window will be top quality players who are good enough to get us into the Premiership, regardless whether we got promoted this season or not.

I have no doubt that regardless of who leaves, we will start next season with the best players in their respective positions in the league.

I think we are in for an exciting season.

That sounds good to me. I can't wait for next season already

Heck guys, you EXPECT us to come top next season?

I'd put that down as HOPE for me.

I EXPECT us to be challenging for promotion.

Let's not set the level of expectation too high, or we can only be disappointed. If we go in as 1st is expected, 2nd is disappointing, 3rd is 'sack the manager', that will be transmitted to the manager and players, and they will play with pressure and fear.

We could be setting ourselves up to fail like this.

I accepted we would not be going up after Millwall away. Still, it was nice to believe whilst we still had a reasonable mathematical opportunity.

We all need to put things in perspective though. Well under a year ago we were on the verge of extinction with no scope for optimism, whereas now we have recently witnessed 4 goals at Wembley! Not to mention a prosperous club revitalised in such a relatively short space of time.

Pards has done a great job and the 10/11 season is one to look forward to. I'm sure we'll sign well in the summer regardless of who does or doesn't leave. We are on the up!

Next season we will win this division and trade places with the blue few.

I refuse to say we will not go up. This is football but we do need a minor miracle but it can happen

Huddersfield lose to Stockport who might just do a job Huddersfield not great away or Draw

Huddersfield lose or draw with Colchester.

Huddersfield lose to Exeter who may need a win to stay up!!

They just cannot win another game or pick up more than two points, just look at Colchester's slump!!

We of couse have to win every remaining game, and I do feel that the players may find it hard to pick up their game again after the Oldham rearguard action!!

Top two.

Anything else would be a massive disappointment and the manager would have to be put into question.

Agreed. Whoever misses out in this season's play-offs will be strong, as will Sheffield Wednesday or Palace (if they can hold on to their players) but I would expect us to be one of the two fighting it out for automatic promotion.

Any of the 3 ways of promotion, but even though we're not going up this season, we're the best team in this league now. (Now, not back at the start of the season.)

Keep the players and strengthen one or two positions, and not only will we go up, we'll keep going up until they have to build us our own league above the Premiership featuring Barcelona, Inter Milan and Gods own football team, the Heavens Angels.

Can't see us losing any of our players over the summer, unlike others on here who fear we will. Can see us signing two or three good Championship players and I think we will finish top two quite easily. Can't wait already.

Seriously, you are joking right? I bet your girlfriend dumped you 3 years ago and you still wait for her to text and tell you that she loves you. :lol:

LOL. That's funny, however at 50 and with four grown-up children I think you've seriously misjudged my profile! ;)

Anyhow, why give up? Did any of you give up when we were in Prem and sweating over another relegation battle? It's no different now IMO - we keep going - we keep giving 110% support to AP and the lads right to the end of the season and only then should we start to worry about what might or might not happen next season.

I bet some of you lot giving up on the team are the guys that leave 10 minutes before the end of a game and block my view! :mad:

I bet some of you lot giving up on the team are the guys that leave 10 minutes before the end of a game and block my view! :mad:

Yes, and on 36 minutes ON THE DOT in the first half... for anyone who sits in 42 by the aisle nearest the segregation, you will probably notice the stream of people heading down to the bar at this exact time every game.

Yes, and on 36 minutes ON THE DOT in the first half... for anyone who sits in 42 by the aisle nearest the segregation, you will probably notice the stream of people heading down to the bar at this exact time every game.
Copied me, ever since I've been going to st mary's I have sent the missus to get the beers at 36 minutes.

We've got to be challenging for automatic promotion with the resources here at the club. We've got a great manager, a great team and a great chairman and owner who are working to make us into a great club once again.

What would people prefer though out of these:

- Automatic promotion, no cups

- Play-offs, JPT winners and decent FA and League cup runs

- Another season in L1, but JPT winners and FA Cup semi-finalists

Stick the kids out for the JPT, shouldn't be on the radar next season.

We should be champions, but top two and automatic is the expectation.

We will have every single resource we could wish for and now is the time.

We can't play the unlucky underdog card that some are still trying to play for us even now.

Stick the kids out for the JPT, shouldn't be on the radar next season.

We should be champions, but top two and automatic is the expectation.

We will have every single resource we could wish for and now is the time.

We can't play the unlucky underdog card that some are still trying to play for us even now.

I thought the JPT had rules about fielding weakened teams to stop us doing just that. My personal opinion is the club should try an win every competition it enters cup or league.

Next season will not be the cake walk everyone on here seems to be arrogantly assuming.

We are going to lose players over the summer, and we may even lose the manager.

I reckon we might stagger into a playoff position.

Why are we going to lose players? do we have financial problems?

If we keep the manager and most of first team squad and add a couple of players like a right back and central midfielder we should walk the league.

Why are we going to lose players? do we have financial problems?

If we keep the manager and most of first team squad and add a couple of players like a right back and central midfielder we should walk the league.

You are deluded. Lambert, Lallana and Schneiderlin can all walk into a CCC team, and bench warm for a PL team.

Money isnt everything.

Next season will not be the cake walk everyone on here seems to be arrogantly assuming.

We are going to lose players over the summer, and we may even lose the manager.

I reckon we might stagger into a playoff position.

This is a fair point and a reasonable fear.

Hence why getting the job done this season was so critical, but alas not to be.

Another season in L1 may be a lot to stomach for a couple of promising AMs and a 28 year old striker who has proven all he has to prove at this level.

But despite all this I think we will be top 2 next season. Winning is in our bones now and some ins/outs won't change it.