Happy St Georges Day

StuRomseySaint

Loads going on where I live and work.

Parades, free family fun days, BBQs etc.

Flags are up and on display all over the place.

Can I assume you don't live in Southampton?

We couldn't possibly do that, as we wouldn't want to offend our poor little Asian / Polish / Romanian immigrants.

I'm really proud of the way this country celebrates our national day. It really puts St Patricks day to shame. Oh.

I'm really proud of the way this country doesn't need to have one day a year where all it's people sheeplike declare how wonderful their country is. We've got 365 days of the year to be proud of our country.

Those countries that feel the need to celebrate their existence are ultimately harking back to a period of time where they were exiting a period of defeat or non-existence. The fact we don't have a specific day to mark such an occasion is a sign of our historic strength as a country. In other words, we don't have the historic insecurities of other countries.

Of course, Labour have made us one of the most insecure countries in the developed world over the last 13 years so maybe 6th May should become our day of celebration...?

We couldn't possibly do that, as we wouldn't want to offend our poor little Asian / Polish / Romanian immigrants.

And the real business of the annual St. George's Day thread begins!

Have a good day folks, I'm going to bed and then going to work so I won't be able to get pished on English ale like a true patriot :(

I'm really proud of the way this country doesn't need to have one day a year where all it's people sheeplike declare how wonderful their country is. We've got 365 days of the year to be proud of our country.

Those countries that feel the need to celebrate their existence are ultimately harking back to a period of time where they were exiting a period of defeat or non-existence. The fact we don't have a specific day to mark such an occasion is a sign of our historic strength as a country. In other words, we don't have the historic insecurities of other countries.

This.

Since I work in Sandwell, which if you didn't know is very, very, very mixed and has the biggest St Georges Day parade in the country, paid for by the council I would suggest you're talking ******s.

As an immigrant from Monmouthshire ( ;) ) I'm both disappointed that St George's Day isn't celebrated properly in England AND that most discussions about why this is degenerate into slanging matches which blame immigrants rather than people just not being bothered to do anything TO celebrate it.

I also think that St Guinness Day aside, saints' days are a bit pointless and rapidly becoming an anachronism in modern society.

But don't worry, as soon as the breweries sort their act out regarding which beer/lager/brand of water should be downed copiously on April 23 to prove your Englishness it'll be worth having again.

Since I work in Sandwell, which if you didn't know is very, very, very mixed and has the biggest St Georges Day parade in the country, paid for by the council I would suggest you're talking ******s.

Errr.... I didn't say that was the case in your area, I simply stated that you couldn't live in Southampton because that is the reason why St Georges day is not celebrated to that extent here.

There's a pretty big difference between a national day and a saints day. I think the whole idea of a national saint is pretty lame and would never celebrate it.

A national day can be a great thing though, if done correctly. The national day over here is huge (the saints day goes unnoticed) and is second place only to Christmas. Norway has been independent only for about 100 years and was occupied during the war, so may have more to celebrate, but the day itself has nothing to do with those.

The reason it's such a loved day over here, by natives and immigrants alike, is that it is nearly entirely about the children. My daughter's been looking forward to it since Christmas. There is a huge parade and the entire population comes out onto the streets and I mean everyone. The parade focuses mostly on children, but any group, association or society can join in. Last year I took part with my kids' nursery. Behind us were The Norwegian Malaysian society (in national costume) and just ahead were the Scottish society, complete with bagpipe band.

It doesn't work so well over there because too many people want to celebrate to the exclusion of other resident cultures, here they're invited to join in and show their love for the country they live in. Here,flag waving is a very positive, inclusive thing and it's very rare to see a house with no flagpole, but that's because it centres around children. The national day is for them, not for people shouting about some ridiculous saint or about being British/English and certainly not about politics.

Is there anything more cringeworthy than seeing a St. George's cross flag with the word 'England' written across it? No. It's for thickos who wouldn't otherwise recognise it (IMHO).

Well, you do get some idiots who can't tell the difference between the England Flag and the British Red Cross, so.....

I'm 100% in favour of making St. Geroge's Day a national holiday in England... not for patriotic reasons, just because it's my birthday so I'd never have to work on my birthday again! Whoop!

It's also Lee Major's birthday today (6 Million Dollar Man, The Fall Guy) so happy birthday Mr Majors! :D

I'm really proud of the way this country celebrates our national day. It really puts St Patricks day to shame. Oh.

I would hate St George's Day to become like St Paddys day. Loads of idiots out in stupid hats who don't care or know anything about Ireland. Much better being able to enjoy the day with people who it actually means something to, rather than loads of tw*ts jumping on the bandwagon.

And the real business of the annual St. George's Day thread begins!

Have a good day folks, I'm going to bed and then going to work so I won't be able to get pished on English ale like a true patriot :(

+1 Mao Cap - This is why an sensible person celebrates with inward hesitation. It's an excuse for people to whip up a dislike of immigrants when it should be about celebrating what makes England great - attributes like diverstiy.

I think it is NO coincidence at all that the NSDAP (BNP) released their 'manifesto' of hate today. Don't they realise that St.George WASN'T English!

+1 Mao Cap - This is why an sensible person celebrates with inward hesitation. It's an excuse for people to whip up a dislike of immigrants when it should be about celebrating what makes England great - attributes like diverstiy.

I think it is NO coincidence at all that the NSDAP (BNP) released their 'manifesto' of hate today. Don't they realise that St.George WASN'T English!

The vast, vast majority of people out today and tonight celebrating St George's Day will be celebrating what makes England great. You will always get a few idiots who will spoil it by being abusive, but they'll be hugely in the minority.

Quite. Most historians think that he was Roman and was born in Palestine where his father was stationed in the Roman Army.

Other countries that mark St Georges Day include Russia, Portugal and Egypt.

Errr.... I didn't say that was the case in your area, I simply stated that you couldn't live in Southampton because that is the reason why St Georges day is not celebrated to that extent here.

So what you're saying is that the British Asian poulation of Southampton takes more offence to St George's day than the ones in Sandwell.

The reason I don't particularly want to celebrate it is that these days it's associated with nuckle dragging morons which is a shame.

I am proud of the fact that I didn't even realise it was St. Georges Day until I heard it mentioned on the radio at about 11, what a load of nationalistic ********

So are the Irish, Scots, Welsh and many other countries being "nationalistic" when they celebrate their saints day or is it just the English? Mind you, I think that taking pride in being ignorant is a sad trait of the modern Englishman.