The Official Summer Transfers and HCDAJFU Thread

supersonic

Some interesting names there. Out of those not already mentioned i think the following players could strengthen the squad and provide cover for injuries, suspensions and loss of form;

Ben Burgess - Forward - Blackpool

Danny Butterfield - right back - Palace

Arron Davies - midfield/forward - Brighton

Shaun Derry - midfield - Palace

Jon Macken - Forward - Barnsley

Gavin Mahon - midfield - QPR

Andy Robinson - midfield - Dirty Leeds

Lloyd Sam - midfield - Charlton

Sam Sodje - centre half - Charlton

Sean Thornton - midfield - Leyon Orient

Butterfield and Sam would be decent shouts for back ups.

Harewood has strong ties to Pardew as he signed him for West Ham, then he went on to be the highest scoring English player in the Prem that season (I think). Would be a quality signing up front imo, very bullish but also very skilfull.

Another possibility is Warren Feeney, he's going on a free and is a regular Northern Ireland international. He's pacy and tricky around the box, like David Connolly. Worth a punt?

Harewood has strong ties to Pardew as he signed him for West Ham, then he went on to be the highest scoring English player in the Prem that season (I think). Would be a quality signing up front imo, very bullish but also very skilfull.

Another possibility is Warren Feeney, he's going on a free and is a regular Northern Ireland international. He's pacy and tricky around the box, like David Connolly. Worth a punt?

Harewood isn't getting any younger but he would provide us with the 1 main thing we are missing in attack, namely pace! I would still like Simeon Jackson from Gillingham too though.

The swap deal involving Lines and Holmes is an interesting 1 and a quality piece of business IMO if it happens. Racon looks a class act at Charlton too!

Dean Cox from Brighton is another of Dean Wilkin's boys so he could be in the frame for understudy at Left Midfield. Has a big (or small) advantage that he can run between a player's legs. Claims he's 5'6" but that's probably with his stubs on.

Morrisson- the striker for Milwall has been brilliant.

If Connolly doesn't stay or we get short of strikers in January I wouldn't mind either him or Austin (despite that miss).

We would have no chance for either of them to be honest, but Paynter at Swindon perhaps.

Wouldn't want Morison anyway. He wouldn't get in ahead of Lambert, couldn't play alongside Lambert, and he's too one footed to succeed above League 1. Only needed to watch him today to see he can't kick the ball with his left foot.

We would have no chance for either of them to be honest, but Paynter at Swindon perhaps.

If we had a chance for Paynter, we should have a chance with Austin.

TBH though, Paynter is not going to sit on a bench behind Rickie.

I don't think we will sign a world shattering Striker this year TBH.

Why couldn't we get Austin?

He's local and Swindon aren't exactly loaded.

Despite the fact they had a great season this time around, we have a better chance of promotion and that would bring us up to having 3/4 quality strikers that every team needs.

Morrisson- the striker for Milwall has been brilliant.

If Connolly doesn't stay or we get short of strikers in January I wouldn't mind either him or Austin (despite that miss).

He did look useful but his final ball/shot today was pants though. Austin however....:smt038

Despite the fact they had a great season this time around, we have a better chance of promotion and that would bring us up to having 3/4 quality strikers that every team needs.

Going to Leeds.

Going to Leeds.

Are you confusing Austin with Paynter?

Leeds, I doubt could afford Austin.

Sheehan would be a quality signing if we weren't already sorted at LB. Harding and Millsy are fine there, we don't need to strengthen that much there apart from perhaps in the CCC. For now, we are fine. In the future we should definitely look at Charlie Mulgrew for LB, mentioned him before in this thread but he really is good. Great set-piece delivery and very solid in defence. 6'4 as well.

George Boateng from Hull Free Transfer would be a great signing in my opinion! but not sure he would drop this low, although money talks!

on another hand if we Signed Ben Burgess I would be able to get a players name on my shirt without the worry of him leaving and the shirt being meaningless to me.

If rumour is to be believed (which it quite often is on here), Schneiderlin is off after impressing some French scouts in the recent U21 tournament. Not naming any names, but the club begins with B and ends in X. I must stress that this is A RUMOUR, and nothing more officially at this point in time.

So, if MS is off, it will leave us seriously short in the centre midfield department. Hammond and Wotton would be our only recognised central midfielders. We need at least 4 CMs in the squad imo, and I don't think Wotton is up to scratch either. Without MS's creativity in midfield, we didn't look anything like a L1 title-challenging team, so we need somebody who can orchestrate from the middle of the park, preferably somebody with a bit of experience. We also need a tough tackling ball winner. I would've suggested Gavin McCann, but he's just signed for Peterborough.

He did look useful but his final ball/shot today was pants though. Austin however....:smt038

Morrison had a touch of the Lallana about him (except he had pace!) does the hard bit & totally fluffs his final ball. Saying that, Lallana does better on assists. Morrison had a few chances to completely set someone up & instead made a lame shot on goal towards the keeper!

Edited by Gordon Mockles

Just by looking at players who might be looking to move and have been released, i feel the following may be worth a look at:-

Gary McSheffrey (played for Leeds on loan last season), Gary Doherty (released another experienced head), Danny Butterfield, Shaun Derry (ex skate however), Daryl Flahavan (if Bartosz leaves), Jamie Cureton as back up?, Owain Tudor Jones (looked at before for saints, and didnt really make it at Norwich, but did well for Swansea at this level)

None of those are better than what we already have IMO.

Should be looking at young up and coming players that will improve or experienced players that come straight into the team and make an instant impact. There's no point signing someone like McSheffrey and Doherty and just sticking them on the bench.

Austin and Lambert up top with Barnard/Connolly in reserve would be immence.

I say this every time somebody posts a rumour up from another site, but I mentioned Vassell way back in the thread, he'd be quality. Pacy, tricky, good on the ball and a great finisher. Very experienced as well, so would be a good older head along with Connolly up front to help mentor some of the youngsters through in the squad. He hates life in Turkey apparently, and although he's had injuries in the past that have kept him out for a while, you can't argue with having a player with 22 England caps in your squad at this level.

Also, really hope Oaks comes back here. He was my idol as a Saints player when I was growing up, I sent a letter off to him at the club and he sent back a nice hand-written letter answering my questions and a signed photo. Burley really screwed him over with the contract negotiations, he wanted to sign a contract with us that would take him right up to retirement (a clause in the contract he wanted would've assured him a testimonial game), but Burley offered him a 1 year deal on severely reduced wages, which of course he rejected. He'd be the perfect player to come back into the side and lead us up to the CCC again, and maybe even the Prem.

So with all these names linked to Saints who do people reckon we will actually sign.

I think that Calderon and Dickson look extremely likely if reports are to be believed.

Other names that I have heard from a variety of different sources which appear realistic are Lines,Hunt,Mullins and Jackson.With Lines,Hunt and Jackson it is their fans as much as ours who think they will be joining the Saints.

Leicester fans also think Matt Oakley may be coming back to us.

other names to chuck into the hat who I haven't seen directly linked(other than the mad Football rumours site) but may be possible Harper,Stock,Bailey,Racon,Le Fondre,Antonio(returning)& Paynter

Real long shots imo are Adu,Surman,Danns,Austin,Vassell

I think we will sign at least 7 players and if rumours are true that Wooton is off to Exeter and Holmes to Bristol Rovers then even more possibly.

My guess is 1rb,1lb,1cd,2 mid,1winger,1striker(7 new players).Could be upto 10 if Bart and Connelly don't sign and AP decides he wants cover/competition for rb spot.

AP and NC will want an exceptionally strong squad to make sure nothing is taken for granted next season and we have good back ups in every position.That is why I think there will be more additions than some people expect this summer if the right players become available at the right price.

It should be an exciting summer and I expect a surprise signing (big name for Div 1)

So with all these names linked to Saints who do people reckon we will actually sign.

I think that Calderon and Dickson look extremely likely if reports are to be believed.

Other names that I have heard from a variety of different sources which appear realistic are Lines,Hunt,Mullins and Jackson.With Lines,Hunt and Jackson it is their fans as much as ours who think they will be joining the Saints.

Leicester fans also think Matt Oakley may be coming back to us.

other names to chuck into the hat who I haven't seen directly linked(other than the mad Football rumours site) but may be possible Harper,Stock,Bailey,Racon,Le Fondre,Antonio(returning)& Paynter

Real long shots imo are Adu,Surman,Danns,Austin,Vassell

I think we will sign at least 7 players and if rumours are true that Wooton is off to Exeter and Holmes to Bristol Rovers then even more possibly.

My guess is 1rb,1lb,1cd,2 mid,1winger,1striker(7 new players).Could be upto 10 if Bart and Connelly don't sign and AP decides he wants cover/competition for rb spot.

AP and NC will want an exceptionally strong squad to make sure nothing is taken for granted next season and we have good back ups in every position.That is why I think there will be more additions than some people expect this summer if the right players become available at the right price.

It should be an exciting summer and I expect a surprise signing (big name for Div 1)

Going to Peterborough according to FoxesTalk

I say this every time somebody posts a rumour up from another site, but I mentioned Vassell way back in the thread, he'd be quality. Pacy, tricky, good on the ball and a great finisher. Very experienced as well, so would be a good older head along with Connolly up front to help mentor some of the youngsters through in the squad. He hates life in Turkey apparently, and although he's had injuries in the past that have kept him out for a while, you can't argue with having a player with 22 England caps in your squad at this level.

Also, really hope Oaks comes back here. He was my idol as a Saints player when I was growing up, I sent a letter off to him at the club and he sent back a nice hand-written letter answering my questions and a signed photo. Burley really screwed him over with the contract negotiations, he wanted to sign a contract with us that would take him right up to retirement (a clause in the contract he wanted would've assured him a testimonial game), but Burley offered him a 1 year deal on severely reduced wages, which of course he rejected. He'd be the perfect player to come back into the side and lead us up to the CCC again, and maybe even the Prem.

Vassell? Meh. His wages would be a joke and we already have enough strikers.

I know why there is no news regarding signings and ST etc... I was in Moscow last week with work and there was the WC in table-tennis going on there. And guess who the main sponsor was - Yeah Liebherr !!! So our dear owner is in Moscow watching table-tennis : )

So when these blody WC is over Saints news will come (I hope)