Saint Simeon...?

•There's been more scouts hanging around Priestfield than you'd see at a Baden-Powell appreciation day, but it now seems that Southampton are the most likely to sign Gillingham striker Simeon Jackson for £750,000, after beating off the likes of Millwall, Norwich and Plymouth.

http://www.betfairfootball.com/world-cup/rumour-mill-southampton-to-sign-750k-striker/

•There's been more scouts hanging around Priestfield than you'd see at a Baden-Powell appreciation day, but it now seems that Southampton are the most likely to sign Gillingham striker Simeon Jackson for £750,000, after beating off the likes of Millwall, Norwich and Plymouth.

http://www.betfairfootball.com/world-cup/rumour-mill-southampton-to-sign-750k-striker/

Now that would be a quality buy there saintscottofthenortham mate but we will see!

Simeon Jackson Record

Club...............Games........Goals.......Ratio

Rushden...........89...............48......... 1 in 1.85

Gillingham.......101..............35......... 1 in 2.89

Lee Barnard

Southend.........75................35......... 1 in 2.14

------------------------------------

Southampton...20................9........... 1 in 2.22

Rickie Lambert Record

Rochadale.......64................28.......... 1 in 2.29

Bristol Rovers..128..............51......... 1 in 2.51

------------------------------------

Southampton...45................30......... 1 in 1.50

On the local news up here in Kent (is this different from Hampshire South Today, I don't know) but Andy Hesentiler (sp) said there is speculation that he will move on but whilst he remains a Gill his attitude in training has been good. They thought the front runner to sign him is Norwich.

If ever there was HCDAJFU... This is the one for me. He is very fast, like to put himself about and with the service we could provide him i think he would be superb.

Nothing concrete but it seems positive.

Not too fussed about him really, over hyped.

An interesting polarisation of views there chaps.

At this stage I'm tending to side with Andy_Porter in that he seems to have built a reputation on one good season in L2 and the opening weeks of last season,after which he seemed to disappear.Wait to be told thats wrong though...

Still if AP thinks he's up to it then I'll go with it and hope he lives up to the hype.At £750,000 its well worth a gamble and if Norwich want him he can't be too bad.Choice ohf him or Antonio though I reckon Antonio has the greater potential.

beacause he has pace. the barnard and lambert pairing lacks pace.

Maybe so, but looking at the goal compilation clip (thanks MLG) there are very few (3 at most I believe) goals that seem to have resulted due to his pace (lactching on to a long ball, one on one etc.). 6 pens (we are already well covered in that department).

Don't get me woring - most of his other goals are good/great and he does appear to be a natural goal scorer, but they are not due to his pace, or being in position due to his pace as there are other team mates near or ahead of him and defenders, and after all as a forward he should be there or there abouts anyway, it's not like he has to make a bursting run from defence to be there. All 3 of our current strikers could have got those type of gaols (except RL when he takes the free kicks - still don't get that - we need him on the end of them, not takleing them :-))

So if the general view is we need him for his pace - my question is why? Just for the sake of it?? Does not seem it's going to add more goals. Ofcourse his pace may well have set up others to score, but then you need at least two players with pace able to get into the opposition half?? And with better players at Saints he may well make greater use of his pace.

It's just that I am not totally convinced he is the answer to our pace problems - and indeed you don't need pace to be a master goal scorer (RL now, Ted McDougal past, by way of examples).

I think if we have 750K to spend it would be better spent elsewhere or on someone else.

Agreed. Why don't we take up the 500K permanent claus on Papa's loan agreement - unless he has decided not to join us? He has pace to burn, scored about 70% of the time he started despite not being the main striker, can play upfront or wide (either wing) or maybe even in the hole and he is unpredictable (needed when things are not going our way, and we run out of ideas breaking down the opposition defence). He knows the setup (no bedding in, gelling, ego's etc.), and I am sure he will only get better over time and good coaching. Really cannot understand this one :-)

Agreed. Why don't we take up the 500K permanent claus on Papa's loan agreement - unless he has decided not to join us? He has pace to burn, scored about 70% of the time he started despite not being the main striker, can play upfront or wide (either wing) or maybe even in the hole and he is unpredictable (needed when things are not going our way, and we run out of ideas breaking down the opposition defence). He knows the setup (no bedding in, gelling, ego's etc.), and I am sure he will only get better over time and good coaching. Really cannot understand this one :-)

It may not be Saints call. He may be wanting to go back to Italy or play at a higher level..........

Agree would like to see Papa back.

Or offer Reading the £500,000 they might accept for Antonio.

If ever there was HCDAJFU... This is the one for me. He is very fast, like to put himself about and with the service we could provide him i think he would be superb.

Nothing concrete but it seems positive.

IF he is very fast he would be an excellent signing, cos we are looking a bit pedestrian following the departures of Papa and Antonio. I hope it happens. Can he play on the wings?

Papa does not like Pardew, so won't be coming back.

As for Jackson, i can't help but feel that 750K is FAR FAR too much for a player who, IMO has not even proved himself in league 1 yet.

Perhaps AP see's something that i dont, but i just don't think he is that great.

Papa does not like Pardew, so won't be coming back.

Any facts to back this up?

As for Jackson, i can't help but feel that 750K is FAR FAR too much for a player who, IMO has not even proved himself in league 1 yet.

How many times you seen him play?

Perhaps AP see's something that i dont, but i just don't think he is that great.

Again....how many times have you seen him play?

Don't forget we have Alex Oxbow-Lake coming through. Blooded last year, andperhaps one to make an impression from the bench this. If that's the case, we don't need both Papa and Antonio, and if we sign another paceman, perhaps neither. It's a tough call between having a highly competitive squad, and creating room for the youngsters to come through.

Again....how many times have you seen him play?

Any facts, no, just what i have heard.

As for Jackson, i have seen his goals, highlights etc, and the fact that he was nowhere to be seen in the second half of the Gills season.

Have you seen him play then ?? Is he worth 750k ?

As for Jackson, i have seen his goals, highlights etc, and the fact that he was nowhere to be seen in the second half of the Gills season.

No I've not seen him play live, just seen a few of his goals and heard alot about him when he was on fire for Gills early on in the season. 750k seems about right for a young goal scoring in demand striker......?

Gills paid R&D 150k for him and will have a sell on percentage (I expect) he was being linked with Blackburn in January and I think at the time the fee was upwards of £1m.

All moot however as I expect him to join Norwich.

Jackson usually plays off the shoulder of the last defender so relies on good service like a good through ball - not easy getting that in a struggling side. We should provide him with plenty of chances where he can use his pace to full effect. 750k isn't bad when you consider that he has pace and time on his side to at least do a job in both league one and championship.

really hope we dont get him. use the money on a top class CM for this division please.

Maybe we can buy Jackson AND still buy a classy MC for this division?

I'd love to have Jackson here - Look at his goal return. He's like a lower-division Defoe. Would just give us another really good option to have someone to run onto Rickie's lay-off's.

Maybe we can buy Jackson AND still buy a classy MC for this division?

I'd love to have Jackson here - Look at his goal return. He's like a lower-division Defoe. Would just give us another really good option to have someone to run onto Rickie's lay-off's.

From my limited knowledge of him (that youtube vid posted earlier) I would have to agree. Although I quite rate Connoly and Barnard, I would love to see if Jackson could break with his pace from Lambert flick on's, something the other two don't excell at. For what it's worth I loved that goal of his on the youtube clip where he muscled his way through the middle of their two CB's!

Front four of JAckson, Lambert, Barnard and Connolly would be brilliant in this league, but without Lambert it does lack pace. That said, not having tall strikers will limit the amount of long ball football we play, which can only be a good thing.