'Massive bid for more players'

Saint Garrett

It's odd to offer Barnard a longer deal if we're after a top striker. Lambert will play most weeks, Connolly will likely play when fit as he's a very good player, although he won't often last 90 mins. Guly can play up front, so that's plenty of options. Barnard deserves his chance and plays well with Lambert, but if/when another striker comes in, how many games will he get?

FWIW I thought Lambert (apart from set pieces) played more as a midfielder - too deep and being the provider rather than the target man. He had a good game all the same but not in his usual position - we don't need another midfielder. Can't expect midfield (inc AL) to score every game - is this why we might be going all out for a new striker?

FWIW I thought Lambert (apart from set pieces) played more as a midfielder - too deep and being the provider rather than the target man. He had a good game all the same but not in his usual position - we don't need another midfielder. Can't expect midfield (inc AL) to score every game - is this why we might be going all out for a new striker?

I think this was tactics to draw out Leeds defence to him, in order to open them up more and it worked!

TBH, that's how I see Lambo now. He spent most of last season playing deeper and he is bloody good at it too!

Lambert got 2 assists against Leeds. If he does that every game I don't care if he doesn't score a single goal all season. No doubt some of our dullard fans will though...

I heard a very interesting bit of info from what I consider a reliable source on Friday. Apparently, an offer was made to Brian Howard a little while ago at SMS, however he wanted to have time to discuss the issue with his wife. NC wanted an answer immediately for some reason, so Howard walked away from the deal. Don't know whether this has been discussed and/or revealed already.

Never been that fussed about Howard as a player TBH. He is ok, but IMHO much happier with the signing of Cork. If we had signed Howard would we have signed Cork ?

Lambert got 2 assists against Leeds. If he does that every game I don't care if he doesn't score a single goal all season. No doubt some of our dullard fans will though...

He's paid to get goals -and if he's reverting to an in-the-hole AM, there are a few players who could stake a claim to do a better job. Ideally AL would be playing there and arguably it's Guly's best position. And btw, Lambert only got one assist - Guly technically got the first goal and AL the third.

He's paid to get goals -and if he's reverting to an in-the-hole AM, there are a few players who could stake a claim to do a better job. Ideally AL would be playing there and arguably it's Guly's best position. And btw, Lambert only got one assist - Guly technically got the first goal and AL the third.

How do you know what he is paid to do? Are you Adkins? Lambert has played deeper more often than people realise and there is no way Lallana or Guly would do a better job. Lallana isnt the type of player to come deep and hold the ball up and Guly doesnt have the work rate of Lambert. Lambert is brilliant at drawing out defenders, holding up play and playing a killing pass/cross. The second goal came from Lambert doing this.

How do you know what he is paid to do? Are you Adkins? Lambert has played deeper more often than people realise and there is no way Lallana or Guly would do a better job. Lallana isnt the type of player to come deep and hold the ball up and Guly doesnt have the work rate of Lambert. Lambert is brilliant at drawing out defenders, holding up play and playing a killing pass/cross. The second goal came from Lambert doing this.

Lambert's ball to Lallana was excellent, but it was Lallana's excellent run that really made it. I remember the two of them playing up front together a couple of seasons ago, and they were excellent.

Surely he is paid to play for the club in whatever role the manager sees fit?

I agree he prefers playing in a deeper role, though Pards played him further up the pitch akin to traditional target man (Lambo said so in interviews at the time). He's poorer in the air and holding the ball up than people make out (barney is much better at holding up the ball - when he gets the ball, it sticks in a way it frankly doesnt with Lambert); but by the same token, he's much better on the deck and more skillful than is made out (not necessarily by saints fans). I hope he has a good season but he has more to prove than most and it will be a tough season.

Lamberts best job in my opinion, is getting the ball, players making runs past him so therefore drawing the defender away from Lambert, and then Lambert can turn and pick out a pass in which ever way seen fit. He's done this a hell of a lot since Adkins has come in, and i'll be surprised if Saints fans cant see what an influential part Lambert plays in our team.

I agree he prefers playing in a deeper role, though Pards played him further up the pitch akin to traditional target man (Lambo said so in interviews at the time). He's poorer in the air and holding the ball up than people make out (barney is much better at holding up the ball - when he gets the ball, it sticks in a way it frankly doesnt with Lambert); but by the same token, he's much better on the deck and more skillful than is made out (not necessarily by saints fans). I hope he has a good season but he has more to prove than most and it will be a tough season.

Garbage. He's indispensable to us.

Garbage. He's indispensable to us.

Garbage what? Did I not say he's important to us? I just said he's unproven at this level, better at some things than others and given our reliance on him (sign of his importance), its going to be a tough season. Holt made the grade but many others haven't. The burden of proof is on Lambert. Read the post rather than project your own assumptions, you clown.

Garbage what? Did I not say he's important to us? I just said he's unproven at this level and given our reliance on him (sign of his importance), its going to be a tough season. Holt made the grade but many others haven't. The burden of proof is on Lambert. Read the post rather than project your own assumptions, you clown.

I think Lambo will be fine, if Steve Morrison and Holt can score upwars of 15 goals in this league, then Lambert should be able to without any issues - he's got the better all round game compared to those two IMO.

It's going to be an interesting season for Lambert. He will score from the pen spot that's for sure. He will score via his head. The way the play seems to be running he seems to be acting more as a provider when passing to feet - he doesn't dribble the ball...he's not got the feet or tricks - he doesn't seem to make channel runs...but he can launch a fierce shot when provided the ball at the right time. At the moment I can't see him scoring much from open play as if he is holding the ball up deep, there are other players getting into attacking positions quicker than him. Now having said all that, I also do believe that as he is clearly fitter this season, he is clever enough to figure out how he will operate in this faster league environment.

I think Lambo will be fine, if Steve Morrison and Holt can score upwars of 15 goals in this league, then Lambert should be able to without any issues - he's got the better all round game compared to those two IMO.

I agree there are things that should stand him in good stead. We'll see. For all Leeds poor play, saturday demonstrated that ball players don't get same time in possession in the NPC.

It looks like Lambert is being asked to play as a deep lying forward with another player in a more advanced role. He's doing well and it's not all about goals when playing in that position. As long as he's getting assists he's doing a large part of what the deep lying forward's game is about.

We should always look to improve and a proven 20 goals a season man is what we need. If Barnard can compete for a place then all well and good but does anybody seriously not want better players if we can attract them? Barnard and all the rest deserve a level playing field to compete for a place. No more, no less.

Fourth offical also wrote the following Billy Sharp has broken his leg in 3 separate places, best wishes and hoping for a speedy recovery

is this true

looks like it. Its all over the place, not sure anywhere official yet though.

Fourth offical also wrote the following Billy Sharp has broken his leg in 3 separate places, best wishes and hoping for a speedy recovery

is this true

I feel for Sharp. His decision not to come to us may haunt him forever.

Good luck and a speedy recovery

Firstly i felt the need to chip in over the Lambert comments. Ricky is a fantastic player, technically excellent, great strength, good in the air, great finisher and will be a top top player in the champ this year. Anyone who says otherwise knows nothing about football...had he had pace in his locker, he would of been a Prem player for sure.

Secondly, sad to hear the news about Billy and i genuinely think both he and Donny will regret not going to us as it looks like it could cost him his big move.

Thirdly as this is thread is about incoming bids, i imagine the Oxo deal has been agreed, hence the large bids coming in...hopefully we can spend a large chunk of it before he leaves and everyone puts their prices up.

The requirements before Oxo was going to leave were a Centre half and a striker, does this now mean we need another winger?...that would be 3 players

I heard a very interesting bit of info from what I consider a reliable source on Friday. Apparently, an offer was made to Brian Howard a little while ago at SMS, however he wanted to have time to discuss the issue with his wife. NC wanted an answer immediately for some reason, so Howard walked away from the deal. Don't know whether this has been discussed and/or revealed already.

This is 100% garbage. I grew up with Brian and still see him and his family.

1 - He isnt married

2 - The deal fell through as the press heard about it, ( Brian disputes it wasnt from his end ) so cortese pulled out, adkins is an admirer.

3 - He is staying with Reading this season.

Firstly i felt the need to chip in over the Lambert comments. Ricky is a fantastic player, technically excellent, great strength, good in the air, great finisher and will be a top top player in the champ this year. Anyone who says otherwise knows nothing about football...had he had pace in his locker, he would of been a Prem player for sure.

Secondly, sad to hear the news about Billy and i genuinely think both he and Donny will regret not going to us as it looks like it could cost him his big move.

Thirdly as this is thread is about incoming bids, i imagine the Oxo deal has been agreed, hence the large bids coming in...hopefully we can spend a large chunk of it before he leaves and everyone puts their prices up.

The requirements before Oxo was going to leave were a Centre half and a striker, does this now mean we need another winger?...that would be 3 players

Well so far we've been linked with:

Jay Rodriguez

Martyn Waghorn

Jelle Vossen

Shane Long

Nicky Maynard

Marvin Sordell

Ebanks-Blake

I'm sure I've probably missed some out and that's just the strikers - I'd imagine a CB (and a winger would also be on the radar if AOC leaves). If you believe the twitter hype then the striker would be one of the bigger names on the list - I'm not sure Rodriguez or Waghorn justifies that hype. Could be an interesting couple of weeks.

This really is turning into a let down with all these players linked and then not signed. I really wish these sort of tweeds were not done then we would be pleasantly surprised. If we get someone in who is a lower quality player then it's just going to feel like a let down.

Lambert's 5 main duties AFAIC are:

- Winning the ball in the air from goal-kicks/deep free-kicks

- Drawing defenders into him to create space for his quicker attacking partner

- Killer balls into the area for overlapping players

- Penalties/Free-Kicks

- Occasionally scoring a screamer from outside the area

He's very good with the creative side of things, but also a good target man. You can see that he's naturally more comfortable with the former though, and that's where I prefer him playing. He needs a quick striker playing alongside him, and 2 wingers who can overlap, and that's a recipe for a ferking good Goal Difference at the end of the season!

This really is turning into a let down with all these players linked and then not signed. I really wish these sort of tweeds were not done then we would be pleasantly surprised. If we get someone in who is a lower quality player then it's just going to feel like a let down.

To be honest I treat it as a bit of a laugh - if we sign them then great but it's not a problem if not. I'm not sure we actually need another striker but it's fun being linked with them...

It's only a let down if you take them at face value...these have all been just rumours. The exception would be Sharp about who the club commented so the rest can only be taken as speculation by journalists, fans, player's families or agents attempts to create situations for either the player's existing club or another.

I could copy and paste a list of all the players in the leagues and I'd be as right with as many times as these 'links'...try not to build hopes on whispers would be my advice....quality has & will come to 'this football club' -the chances are you'll know when it happens...this is the SFC way!

Fourth_Official Fourth Official

Leicester City are also concerned Southampton may rock the boat on a few of the deals they are lining up as they look to spend big

looks like "Svennis" is buying a whole new SQUAD, not just extra team players.....was 8..or was it ..9 the last time I looked.

Yes ..some look like good names but the real test will be if he (SGE) can get all these new boys to gell together into a promtion - winning side ?.

There's very few of (Leicester's) last seasons first team squad left ....

I think this was tactics to draw out Leeds defence to him, in order to open them up more and it worked!

Right ! I think we can expect some revolving formations from game to game.. 4-4-2, 4-3-1-2, 4-1-2-1-2 ... etc, etc,

I don't expect any sort of formation change to curb Ricky's strike record.

1 - He isnt married

2 - The deal fell through as the press heard about it, ( Brian disputes it wasnt from his end ) so cortese pulled out, adkins is an admirer.

His uncle Alan is one of my best mates. I rate him highly, but I think the midfield is pretty sewn up at the moment...

1 - He isnt married

This...

1 - He isnt married - OK, perhaps I heard wrong...could have been girlfriend, boyfriend, family - who cares?!

2 - The deal fell through as the press heard about it, ( Brian disputes it wasnt from his end ) so cortese pulled out, adkins is an admirer. - Well, he would say that wouldn't he...so what anyway - fact is he didn't join Saints.

3 - He is staying with Reading this season. - So what? I never said that was not the case!

Not sure what your problem is TBH - what I stated might have been slightly inaccurate, but was certainly was not 100% garbage. Glad he chose not to come to us as I prefer Cork.

Fourth Official has just re-tweeted that we are about to spend big.

Can anyone with an account ask him for a little more to get our teeth into?

It's promising that it looks like we're going to reinvest the Alex money straight away.