Artur Boruc

niemi14

Watched the highlights from Wigan last night... Save in the first half really was marvellous. Unlucky not to save Maloneys shot at the end... Had Maloney caught it in any way cleanly he would have.

At the time I thought he could have saved Caldwells header since he was beaten from so far out but he really had no chance at all.

Surprised his kicking has people worried... He's naturally 2 footed and has been excellent with the ball at his feet throughout his career.

I think Boruc looks extremely confident (almost arrogant) but I find his kicking a bit average. It's by no means bad, but IMHO it's just not his prime attribute. Not really a problem as long as he delivers the goods like he has done recently :)

I hope Gazza can improve his overall game for the future, because I thought his distribution looked rather good when he had a run in the team...

Are you in a good form?

-Well, definitely not optimal. You have to remember I had been out of squad for a long time. But now I returned and I'm getting better each day

Was it hard to return to the squad?

-It's complicated. There was some strife that kept me out of play. On the other hand, my ambition simply did not let me just sit on the bench. I fought fiercly to get back to the starting eleven and here I am

I guess noone doubts Artur Boruc's ability on the pitch. Everone is asking, though, how would you behave out of the pitch?

- I have to tell you I'm getting bored by all that. Last months have tought me some humility; I'm older now, and wiser, too. I've always wanted to play in the Premier League, I thought I'd manage to do it earlier but for some reasons I've made it only recently. Goalkeepers are just like wine though, the older the better and I still have several years of play in me.

You were "the Holy Goalie" in Celtic, now you are a Saint. Is that in your destiny?

-AMEN

His kicking isn't great, but thats not the end of the world. We rarely boot it from keeper anyway only clearances etc. Lot of the time it's sideways passing or throws which he's extremely good at. I'd rather he had a bit of a dodgy kick that dodgy shot stopping!

put it this way, he can kick a ball better with his weaker left foot than Kelvin can with his stronger right foot.

I've been openly critical of Boruc, but never afraid to give praise where it is due. Boruc has been brilliant recently - Cool, calm, experienced, effective in games where he has had to keep us in it, as well as games where he has had rare moments of involvement.

If this is the real Boruc, sign him up for next season please.

I'm not trying to knock the guy as he has made a big difference for us, but for the sake of balance I would suggest that his positioning for their goal was 'interesting'.

I wouldn't be unhappy if we gave him a new contract but equally I think we'd be able to get as good a keeper in the summer if we decided to let him go

I'm not trying to knock the guy as he has made a big difference for us, but for the sake of balance I would suggest that his positioning for their goal was 'interesting'.

I wouldn't be unhappy if we gave him a new contract but equally I think we'd be able to get as good a keeper in the summer if we decided to let him go

What was so "interesting" eith his position?

Unless you are talking about a goalie that is cutting down the angle from a possible shot and hoping/trusting his defenders will cover the pass alternative....??

From somebody who used to play in goal.

There was nothing wrong with his position.

he did what two other keepers did in recent weeks, go out wide to the attacking player. Both Reina (against City) and Cech (against Wigan) left their goal to meet the attacker, both got beaten probably because they went too wide. Boruc did the same to a player much close to the goal, not much else he could of done I dont think.

We would have been safe by now if we had stuck with Boruc in the first place.

Thanks Chapel Stand.

not all Chapel Stand's fault. Incident could easily have been swept under the rug, bit of a fine, a mea maxima culpa, in goal the week afterwards again. I don't think the manager wanted to do that, same as with the initial Pucheon/Crosby affair. If you look at Boruc's interview on the OS last week he says that from the start it was "complicated".

not all Chapel Stand's fault. Incident could easily have been swept under the rug, bit of a fine, a mea maxima culpa, in goal the week afterwards again. I don't think the manager wanted to do that, same as with the initial Pucheon/Crosby affair. If you look at Boruc's interview on the OS last week he says that from the start it was "complicated".

I expect it would've been swept under the carpet if the fans behind the goal goading our own goalkeeper didn't start crying about it when he reacted.

I expect it would've been swept under the carpet if the fans behind the goal goading our own goalkeeper didn't start crying about it when he reacted.

This.

Anyone that has tracked Boruc's career pre Saints will know that lobbing a water bottle in the general direction of fans was the merest of drops in the ocean

This.

Anyone that has tracked Boruc's career pre Saints will know that lobbing a water bottle in the general direction of fans was the merest of drops in the ocean

In his pre-Wigan interview he said.

"Things are a bit clearer for me just now. It’s very important for the goalkeeper to have confidence from the gaffer.

which says to me that Adkins didn't accord him his confidence.

not all Chapel Stand's fault. Incident could easily have been swept under the rug, bit of a fine, a mea maxima culpa, in goal the week afterwards again. I don't think the manager wanted to do that, same as with the initial Pucheon/Crosby affair.

If you look at Boruc's interview on the OS last week he says that from the start it was "complicated".

with all the tears and tearing of hair that has taken place since NA's departure, I think it fair to say that amongst the MANY good things he can be complimented on ...one glaring error was his failure to get a quality keeper during the summer....as cover for KD. Adkins' " apparent refusal to buy " in an " established-name" goalie was noted by " someone " on an much earlier thread - as an issue that upset Cortese, and Adkins' faith in KD's potential to become CLASS Prem. keeper was sadly misplaced....something that many fans noted (on here) already last season.

It seems everyone-including Brum-admit that we bid £6 million for Butland...(a good deal to have avoided), and I agree with others on here that I don't think that there was a great difference between Butland and Gazzaniga - at the time.. but goodness....neither of them is a Prem. keeper..or anything near it... which Stoke will find to their cost next season.

Buying Gazzaniga was probably a good move, but he is inexperienced as some of his early games showed...and he must count himself guilty of losing us the extra points in the Swansea and Norwich games.

In over 50 years .I've seen a very few excellent young keepers. Gary Sprake (Leeds) was one.....and he made his debut at The Dell and saved everything we threw at him that day. Peter Shilton was another ....and was good enough to replace England keeper Gordon Banks at Leicester even before he was 18 y.o.....Saints had Gerry Gurr who debuted at 20, (1967) but had to wait until Eric Martin was unavailable before gaining the no.1 spot... and held his place for over a season before sustaining an injury in training and sadly never played again.

...but these types of goalie come once in a decade.....and it says something about the state of the game when the England keeper (in this case Joe Hart) can get open criticism of his play...not just on Saturday... but several times through this season already. I grew up in a generation when keepers were " a bit older " than the average outfield player.....they knew the game, and how to play it, and having a keeper over 30 was seen as a good thing and gave stability - especially to younger players - in the back line.

Peter Shilton (mentioned earlier) played in a World Cup for England when he had passed 40... and keeper Pat Jennings was still first choice keeper for N.I.- at 44.

Now...we suddenly have spate of " young keepers" and even Alex Ferguson has found it difficult to decide which of his young keepers is the better, as they both have major problems.

For SAINTS....Adkins should have put sentiment aside...looked at the stats. that show that most Prem. sides have at least two international keepers - and admitted to himself that KD's days were numbered and also that you can't put a young, L2 keeper in goal for a Prem. side......and especially not a newly-promoted one.

Boruc is a God-send (of sorts), but we need " another Boruc " as cover-just in case. YES...Gazzaniga will come again - but IMHO -- not as soon as many think.

Edited by david in sweden

• 4 weeks later...

Mind you some of the shiiiite posted on this fred about Boruc...unbelievable..:rolleyes:

Even when he was playing well...even so called knowledgable posters ...almost with an axe to grind..

Opinions:p Some should have their opinion on football confiscated:D

Edited by ottery st mary

You've changed your tune, Patsy.

No, I never denied he was a good keeper, just too unfit to play..and that was down to his diet and habits.. Florentina were absolutely shocked at his eating habits.

If he keeps to the right diet etc, fair play to him, but there can be no denying he wasted 5 months of his contract here... and what a difference that could have made to our season

Edited by patred44

No, I never denied he was a good keeper, just too unfit to play..and that was down to his diet and habits.. Florentina were absolutely shocked at his eating habits.

If he keeps to the right diet etc, fair play to him, but there can be no denying he wasted 5 months of his contract here... and what a difference that could have made to our season

Pat, you lie like a cheap watch.

There is some common ground here chaps.

Overweight and throwing bottles at home fans = not great.

Pulling off some worldies and saving us a point today = great

Of course there is. I'll be the first to admit that I was at the front of the queue of the "get him out, he's past it and not good enough" brigade. I'm happy to admit that I was very wrong; since January onwards Boruc has been brilliant. In my defence (of which there is little) I still maintained that in spite of his underwhelming start, Boruc was still better than the other 2 of Davis and Gazzaniga but that we needed a change. If its Boruc until the end of the season and beyond, I'll be very happy, such is my turnaround. And I'm happy to admit my error.