Philipe Coutinho - Medical at Liverpool

itchen_dan

1) Almost anything will be an improvement on Puncheon IF they play with their head up in the final 3rd of the pitch

2) This lad sounds a much better loan bet than Benayoun from Chelsea.

Mind you IF we get him and DON'T get a CB I think I may stay away from this forum for a few weeks to avoid the Mountainous Underwater moans

I won't turn down anyone who is better than what we had.

But what we NEED is a goal keeper, a right back and at least one, if not two centre backs.

The clubs who have succeeded after promotion in this league have built from the back.

We have plenty of creativity and goals in us.

What we cannot do is defend a lead. If we could, right now we would be THIRD in the league...

The club will strengthen at the back.

Every club every where will look to strengthen in all departments if opportunities arise.

All you're saying is that we need more defenders which everyone knows and the club knows. It really has nothing to do with Coutinho.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with what you say at all, buty it just seems like you're assuming that our interest in this guy means that we're not working on signing CB's or other positions.

As has been said many times, clubs work on multiple deals for multiple players over multiple weeks.

All this assuming is just based on media leaks, that's it. The club haven't told us who they're after.

Sure. But we spent circa £20m on our attacking threat in the summer. Spend that at the back and we have a genuine shot at comfortable mid-table.

Can you see us spending that at the back? Because I would be spending every available penny there.

Sure. But we spent circa £20m on our attacking threat in the summer. Spend that at the back and we have a genuine shot at comfortable mid-table.

Can you see us spending that at the back? Because I would be spending every available penny there.

€10 million offer for Davide Astori suggests they do plan to improve the defence don't you think? How do you know what else they are planning or how much money they have? If good attacking players are available aswell and they have the money to sign both attacking players and defenders, then why not do both?

Edited by Matthew Le God

Really? Clyne Fonte Yoshida & Shaw have been looking better and better as a unit up to the Cup game.

Yoshida & Cork aren't right backs but they are better than Richardson/Butterfield at this level. A lot will depend on how bad Clynes' injury actually is & how long he is out for.

Bringing in a Cb of the quality of Astori or any of the others we have been linked with will imporve that defence with Cork & Yosh as cover with Clyne for the FB slots.

OTHERWISE, you have to find someone BETTER than Clyne and BETTER than Shaw (who the biased taters on Saturday reckoned was in the Top 10 hottest properties in World Football.

Tough to find better and the REAL issue will be the result of Jose's scan on Tuesday/Wednesday. We MAY need 2 CB's.

€10 million offer for Davide Astori suggests they do plan to improve the defence don't you think? How do you know what else they are planning or how much money they have? If good attacking players are avaialbe aswell and they have the money to sign both attacking players and defenders, then why not do both?

I agree 100%.

Shame we didn't do that in the summer or we wouldn't be running the huge risk of relegation. Which we are.

Because we have three very average goal keepers, two centre backs who are just about good enough for a relegation threatened side, and our best midfielder playing at right back...

(I just though I should point this out in case the management had overlooked it while they tour Europe looking for attractive attacking talent) ;)

Really? Clyne Fonte Yoshida & Shaw have been looking better and better as a unit up to the Cup game.

Yoshida & Cork aren't right backs but they are better than Richardson/Butterfield at this level. A lot will depend on how bad Clynes' injury actually is & how long he is out for.

Bringing in a Cb of the quality of Astori or any of the others we have been linked with will imporve that defence with Cork & Yosh as cover with Clyne for the FB slots.

OTHERWISE, you have to find someone BETTER than Clyne and BETTER than Shaw (who the biased taters on Saturday reckoned was in the Top 10 hottest properties in World Football.

Tough to find better and the REAL issue will be the result of Jose's scan on Tuesday/Wednesday. We MAY need 2 CB's.

See my response to MLG.

I want to find in this order:

1 A goal keeper.

2. A centre back who is of better quality than any we have played this season.

3. A right back (as our best midfielder is currently playing there).

4. Someone else who might score/create goals.

Well we need someone on the wings who can both play and has speed to give us that extra we're missing at times. We need someone on the same wavelength already as Gaston to get the best out of him and we need players who can cut in and also do productive things in the last 3rd of the field as Chelsea did yesterday which means that you're defending by not letting the other lot get the ball.

Makes sense we'd look at him.

See my response to MLG.

I want to find in this order:

1 A goal keeper.

2. A centre back who is of better quality than any we have played this season.

3. A right back (as our best midfielder is currently playing there).

4. Someone else who might score/create goals.

But if the club knows it has the budget to make multiple good signings this window, why not do them all?

In any case...

- I don't see the harm in giving Boruc a good run in the team. He is an experienced top flight and international goalkeeper.

- Astori could well be the centre back you want.

- Clyne will be back very soon, Cork is adequate cover at right back. Any other right back we bring in would be coming knowing he'll be on the bench, who could we get to do that?

- As for "someone else who might score/create goals", that could be Coutinho perhaps. We do need another attacking player as without Lallana we are short.

I agree 100%.

Shame we didn't do that in the summer or we wouldn't be running the huge risk of relegation. Which we are.

Because we have three very average goal keepers, two centre backs who are just about good enough for a relegation threatened side, and our best midfielder playing at right back...

(I just though I should point this out in case the management had overlooked it while they tour Europe looking for attractive attacking talent) ;)

To be fair, we did try in the summer, it just didn't work out. We were linked to CB's and full-backs (just look at Buttner who went to Man UTD), we just couldn't land them unfortunately.

We did manage it with GK's - we signed an International GK with experience at big clubs and we signed a highly rated younger 'keeper who clearly has a good future ahead. Everything about those two signings suggested it was job done - unfortunately the experienced one has seemingly lost it, putting more reliance on the younger one who isn't yet ready.

In CM we signed a player with International and Prem experience which the vast majority of fans thought was a great signing. Again though, it hasn't quite worked out as well as we hoped.

I think most clubs in the bottom half of the Prem are looking for solid and experience defenders, there just isn't many around that are realistically available to sign. Attacking players are everywhere though...

This may be a sign that Lallana's injury is very serious and more long term than short term.

No idea about this bloke and watching clips on you tube isn't a way to judge a player, everyone can look good and score a few goals in a highlights package even John Forte.

This may be a sign that Lallana's injury is very serious and more long term than short term.

No idea about this bloke and watching clips on you tube isn't a way to judge a player, everyone can look good and score a few goals in a highlights package even John Forte.

good point.

good point.

Is it? Even with Lallana fit and Mayuka away with Zambia, we are short of attacking players of Premier League quality to play behind a lone striker in our 4-2-3-1 system beyond Lallana, Puncheon and Ramirez.

Is it? Even with Lallana fit and Mayuka away with Zambia, we are short of attacking players of Premier League quality to play behind a lone striker in our 4-2-3-1 system beyond Lallana, Puncheon and Ramirez.

Indeed. Who'd have thought De Ridder would get onto the pitch this season?

I don't know if Mayuka's location makes any difference to that.

However, what it does tell us is ...that (if true?)..... then Lallana's injury may be far worse than we ever feared......

I very much doubt it. You don't spend 12m euro to cover an injured player for 3 or 4 months. That's the kind of money Saints would pump into a player only if he was a long term investment.

If we had loaned someone like Benayoun, that would have been more of an indication that Lallana has a bad injury.

Lambert

Lallana Ramirez Coutinho

Quite a formidable attacking line up!

Except Lambert is leaving us, Lallana is the new Darren Anderton, Ramirez is also made if glass\a waste of money and Coutinho would leave the full back exposed. Relegation a certainty.

well assuming we're also looking at another CB or two then there's really no reason not to get excited about this. Lad looks quality. Of course I'm only judging him on the YouTube stuff but really does look good. Also get the feeling he could make Ramirez look a better player purely because he'd read the flicks and have the pace and speed of thought to feed off him. I know scoring goals hasn't been a massive problem for us but IMO we probably should have made more of our possession and been more effective in the final 3rd - Coutinho could easily help out on that.

Also love the fact that Italy seems to be a feeder country for us.....

Anyway, doubt it'll happen but I guess one of the plusses of being in the prem is getting these kind of links so I'll just enjoy it and see what happens.

I think you'll find this might be more likely...and arguably more effective if other areas are strengthened.

.................... JRod

Coutinho - Ramirez - Puncheon

I'm not sure I would say that was 'likely'. Lallana and Lambo won't be dropped when fit IMO.

I'm not sure I would say that was 'likely'. Lallana and Lambo won't be dropped when fit IMO.

Well let's hope Lallana makes a full recovery - (how many times has he hurt his knee?). If we're to believe the rumours, Lambert might see his role change somewhat if indeed he's still with us at the end of the window. He is slow and as the team develops will be increasingly found surplus. Unless you wear rose-tinted specs. :-)

Personally still think Lambert is the only one with a clear head at the end of games to sensibly keep possession, and remains a big aerial threat. If we get rid we're mad.

Doubt we'd get rid of him, but I do believe he will evolve into our 'off-the-bench plan B' (not the singer!)

Players like Ramirez and this fella clearly benefit from, and reward, more movement in front of them. J-Rod will be that guy.

Some people moaning about signing more attacking players really do need to wake up. If we started improving the quality of our midfield and i am talking all of them then perhaps we will not be so vulnerable at the back.

Sure a quality centre half would be welcomed but i think boruc will be fine. Lalanna and puncheon have done okay and schneiderlin and davis/cork have also done okay at times but we really do need to start looking for better quality in there. We fail to hurt teams enough for me and alot of our ball retention always breaks down when we reach the final third.

Its all very well knocking the ball across our back four into central midfield and then back across the defence again to the keeper but that doesnt create you chances.

Yes we are a new team whos goal is to stay up and i would be happy with that but i dont think our owners will be.

Some people moaning about signing more attacking players really do need to wake up. If we started improving the quality of our midfield and i am talking all of them then perhaps we will not be so vulnerable at the back.

Sure a quality centre half would be welcomed but i think boruc will be fine. Lalanna and puncheon have done okay and schneiderlin and davis/cork have also done okay at times but we really do need to start looking for better quality in there. We fail to hurt teams enough for me and alot of our ball retention always breaks down when we reach the final third.

Its all very well knocking the ball across our back four into central midfield and then back across the defence again to the keeper but that doesnt create you chances.

Yes we are a new team whos goal is to stay up and i would be happy with that but i dont think our owners will be.

I agree with this. Whilst a long absence for Fonte will be bad news if we don't sign another CB our defence is actually quite decent now that Shaw has come in and given it some balance.

We were anaemic up front against Sunderland. We only scored one against Reading. We didn't score against Wigan at home. We should have got a second against the Arse. We only conceded two goals in those matches but four points should've been seven really.

We have games where it clicks and we look quality (Villa, QPR, for example) but we also have games where we become very predictable if one or two players are having an off day.

Our targets for the window should be a centre back and an offensive player who is better than what we have. Add to that possibly a keeper if a good one is available (although Boruc "ought" to be good enough) and perhaps an experienced left back if there is someone available on a fairly short contract (we have no proper cover for Shaw as Fox is inadequate at Prem level).

Stay up this season and we will be well set for a quality season next year IMO.

If we managed to sign him permantently it would be a superb signing, he's a top prospect and would add some x-factor to our attacking play. I also think he would link well with Ramirez. The kind of player Liverpool should be looking at rather than spending £12 million on Sturridge.

If we managed to sign him permantently it would be a superb signing, he's a top prospect and would add some x-factor to our attacking play. I also think he would link well with Ramirez. The kind of player Liverpool should be looking at rather than spending £12 million on Sturridge.

Sturrisge is a good signing for them.

Interesting signing. I had dinner with a Saints player at the weekend (family friend), I asked him what was Gaston like in training? He replied he was a different level, the only problem really that only Lallana could match his footballing brain and other players are still struggling to read his passing, by this player's own admission it is down to them, not Gaston, everything he does seems to be "worldy".

He also told me how long Lallana will be out for, I won't say on here how long but long enough, IMO, for us to get someone else in - especially a player of Coutinho's class on a loan.