Philipe Coutinho - Medical at Liverpool

itchen_dan

Interesting signing. I had dinner with a Saints player at the weekend (family friend), I asked him what was Gaston like in training? He replied he was a different level, the only problem really that only Lallana could match his footballing brain and other players are still struggling to read his passing, by this player's own admission it is down to them, not Gaston, everything he does seems to be "worldy".

He also told me how long Lallana will be out for, I won't say on here how long but long enough, IMO, for us to get someone else in - especially a player of Coutinho's class on a loan.

Cheers for the snippets of inside info. Reading between the lines that sounds more like "months" than "weeks" for Lallana then.

Tancredi Palmeri ‏@tancredipalmeri

Southampton in the race for Coutinho: Inter has been contacted and in the talk was mentioned a possible offer of 12m €

10 million for Astori, 12 million for Coutinho.

Where is this money coming from!?

We have incredibly rich owners, TV money next year is going to be massive, Chairman tasked with making us a team capable of challenging for Europe year in year out whilst playing the 'Southampton Brand' of exciting attacking football.

Who actually gives a **** where the money is coming from? With our current set up a financial melt-down like the one we experienced under the ridiculous PLC regieme is simply not going to happen. Let's just enjoy the football ffs.

The (satirical) Rumour Mill in the Guardian getting in on the act about our money........

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/07/football-transfer-rumours

Liverpool have offered Serie A side Cagliari £7m for defending's Davide Astori, according to the Daily Mail, but as things stand look likely to miss out on the 25-year-old because Southampton have outbid them. The same paper reports that Manchester City have offered Napoli £45m for Uruguayan adonis Edinson Cavani; only time will tell whether or not the Premier League champions' bid is torpedoed by a superior offer from the south coast club.

Let's just enjoy the football ffs.

I understand the sentiment, but having seen the club nearly die once I would hate to see us gamble all of our recent progress away in the same style as the Skates and Leeds United.

This has the potential to be incredibly exciting. It could also be calamitous.

The (satirical) Rumour Mill in the Guardian getting in on the act about our money........

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/07/football-transfer-rumours

Liverpool have offered Serie A side Cagliari £7m for defending's Davide Astori, according to the Daily Mail, but as things stand look likely to miss out on the 25-year-old because Southampton have outbid them. The same paper reports that Manchester City have offered Napoli £45m for Uruguayan adonis Edinson Cavani; only time will tell whether or not the Premier League champions' bid is torpedoed by a superior offer from the south coast club.

Very good :lol:

We have incredibly rich owners, TV money next year is going to be massive, Chairman tasked with making us a team capable of challenging for Europe year in year out whilst playing the 'Southampton Brand' of exciting attacking football.

Who actually gives a **** where the money is coming from? With our current set up a financial melt-down like the one we experienced under the ridiculous PLC regieme is simply not going to happen. Let's just enjoy the football ffs.

I'm pretty sure this is exactly what the skates were saying just a few years ago...

I understand the sentiment, but having seen the club nearly die once I would hate to see us gamble all of our recent progress away in the same style as the Skates and Leeds United.

Well no amount of blogging is going to change the situation either way.

I'm confident that our chairman and owners are not the type of people to send us to the abyss.

I must say I share the same nagging worry about the clubs finances. Perhaps we are sitting on a vast £300m nest egg courtesy of Marcus - bless him. But in the long term this business should trade solvently like most others are expected to.

If rumors of even more cash going out the door on transfer fees and wages are true, then this years accounts may look pretty grisly indeed.

Cheers for the snippets of inside info. Reading between the lines that sounds more like "months" than "weeks" for Lallana then.

No worries, all in all an interesting chat and confidence is high at the club. Don't be too pessimistic with Lallana, not as bad as I thought originally but definitely worth getting in someone else at "that level" to get the most out of Gaston long term and replace Lallana short term.

No worries, all in all an interesting chat and confidence is high at the club. Don't be too pessimistic with Lallana, not as bad as I thought originally but definitely worth getting in someone else at "that level" to get the most out of Gaston long term and replace Lallana short term.

Thanks for sharing. If AL could be back for the Wigan game that would be good, but I suspect it will be mid Feb earliest.

What happened at Leeds was a disgrace. Thank goodness we don't have individuals like that calling the shots at our club, and let's be clear, it was individuals who brought about the demise of Leeds. That said Leeds have survived and will find their rightful place in the football hierarchy in due course. Pompey were always going to implode - they were a rich man's plaything - when he had to get rid nobody else wanted them because they did not and could not provide a buyer a viable business proposition (at the price needed). The foundation at Saints throughout is so much more solid - through ownership of the stadium, training facilities, supporters (numbers and weath per head) and the accademy to name but a few things.

The players we're being linked with are mostly youngsters. It has not escaped my attention that these players currently worth £10-£12m or Euros now, could be targets for the best in Europe for double that in a few years time once they begin to show their potential. It's a shrewd move by the club. Very rich people are attracted by making big money and are prepared to take a risk to do it - something that scares the wits out of ordinary guys like you and I, but if you just try and put yourself in their shoes for a moment you can see the logic. Are our owners getting excited about selling Sharp for £4m? - I think not. Are they excited about the prospect of buying Asori for £10m, getting a few good years out of him, developing him and then selling for double, pocketing half of that and then reinvesting £10m in the next good youngster? Damn right.

Trust me on this one Colin. If I am wrong I promise you a free kick at my nadgers in front of the Ted Bates statue (the good one, not the funny one) at a match of your choice.

What happened at Leeds was a disgrace. Thank goodness we don't have individuals like that calling the shots at our club, and let's be clear, it was individuals who brought about the demise of Leeds. That said Leeds have survived and will find their rightful place in the football hierarchy in due course. Pompey were always going to implode - they were a rich man's plaything - when he had to get rid nobody else wanted them because they did not and could not provide a buyer a viable business proposition (at the price needed). The foundation at Saints throughout is so much more solid - through ownership of the stadium, training facilities, supporters (numbers and weath per head) and the accademy to name but a few things.

The players we're being linked with are mostly youngsters. It has not escaped my attention that these players currently worth £10-£12m or Euros now, could be targets for the best in Europe for double that in a few years time once they begin to show their potential. It's a shrewd move by the club. Very rich people are attracted by making big money and are prepared to take a risk to do it - something that scares the wits out of ordinary guys like you and I, but if you just try and put yourself in their shoes for a moment you can see the logic. Are our owners getting excited about selling Sharp for £4m? - I think not. Are they excited about the prospect of buying Asori for £10m, getting a few good years out of him, developing him and then selling for double, pocketing half of that and then reinvesting £10m in the next good youngster? Damn right.

Trust me on this one Colin. If I am wrong I promise you a free kick at my nadgers in front of the Ted Bates statue (the good one, not the funny one) at a match of your choice.

I think we are pondering along the same lines actually....

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/entry.php?98-Calculated-Risk

But yes, I will take you up on the kick in the nadgers if we implode. It's good to vent when things are going badly. I'll select the home game to Fleetwood Town in 2017. ;)

Sturrisge is a good signing for them.

I think he's a decent player but I think with a lot of English prospects he's a bit overated on the technical side IMO, I would reckon there are a whole hatful of Brazilians with more skills than him available at half the price. He has some pace and power and is a good finisher but is he good enough out wide for a club like Liverpool? I'm not sure and he'll get little oppurtunty to play through the middle.

I think he's a decent player but I think with a lot of English prospects he's a bit overated on the technical side IMO, I would reckon there are a whole hatful of Brazilians with more skills than him available at half the price. He has some pace and power and is a good finisher but is he good enough out wide for a club like Liverpool? I'm not sure and he'll get little oppurtunty to play through the middle.

Sturridge is a classic example of a young British talent who came up through a big club, got a move to another big club and failed to push on. I feel we don't even know his true ability level; at Bolton on loan he was a goal machine (8 goals in 12) but he simply hasn't done it at Chelsea.

I actually can't see what role is in store for him at Liverpool. There's talk of Suarez playing more wide as he used to used in Holland, but Suarez is on fire right now and Rodgers would surely be stupid to do anything to quash that momentum. Rodgers is already saying that Sturridge is "nowhere near fit" (which is slightly bizarre in itself, he shouldn't be too far away) so I guess he'll build up his fitness and we'll see from there.

I find it a slightly odd signing, but only in that I don't know where he'll play. But he's not a winger, he's a centre forward and as you say I think he'll get limited opportunities to actually play there.

Somehow I don't think that Nikko is a speculator - he's an investor. He may be taking some financial risks but I doubt if they are major.

I've often wondered if getting to the Prem a few years earlier than expected meant the money budgeted for promotion-building has boosted our coffers now.

I'm sure they did say something like that in the summer or whenever it was when the news of the £33m loan conversion came out. I'm sure i remember them saying that we spent well under the respective season budgets each year.

I presume this will now be added to this budget and what's not used this window is placed on top of the next window budget etc etc

YouTube videos? :blush:

De Ridder's YouTube video convinced some people on this forum that he'd be a fine replacement for Chamberlain.

TBF, this guy's youtube video makes Steve De Ridder's youtube video look like Rudi Skacel's youtube video. He's the mutt's nuts.

TBF, this guy's youtube video makes Steve De Ridder's youtube video look like Rudi Skacel's youtube video. He's the mutt's nuts.

The free kick on 1 min 48 had me howling with laughter! A real touch of genius. Why would Inter want to let him go?

I'm sure they did say something like that in the summer or whenever it was when the news of the £33m loan conversion came out. I'm sure i remember them saying that we spent well under the respective season budgets each year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17547804

Southampton have revealed that £33m of loans invested in the club by the estate of former owner Markus Liebherr will not have to be paid back.

Southampton FC Chief financial officer Gareth Rogers:

"The loss incurred to date is absolutely beneath what we expected, so perverse as it sounds, we're pleased with that size of loss," he said."I am absolutely confident fans need not be concerned about the future financial stability of the club.

"Nothing has changed operationally or strategically with Markus not being here. Nicola will drive the club forward and has every plan to do so."

Southampton want to Philippe Coutinho. The English club has made ​​an official offer to the leadership Inter: 10.5 million euro more bonus (about 1.5 million). Moratti is thinking about it, but according to rumors collected by the editors of Calcionews24.com, the player would not like the destination. In fact, the Saints sailing in deep waters and strive for salvation. The young Brazilian midfielder wants to stay in Italy, but so far with Stramaccioni the bench, also because of the many injuries, has found little space. However, in the coming days will be given a definitive answer to the English club.

http://www.calcionews24.com/esclusiva-southampton-coutinho-l-offerta-c-e-ma-il-giocatore-291481.html

Southampton want to Philippe Coutinho. The English club has made ​​an official offer to the leadership Inter: 10.5 million euro more bonus (about 1.5 million). Moratti is thinking about it, but according to rumors collected by the editors of Calcionews24.com, the player would not like the destination. In fact, the Saints sailing in deep waters and strive for salvation. The young Brazilian midfielder wants to stay in Italy, but so far with Stramaccioni the bench, also because of the many injuries, has found little space. However, in the coming days will be given a definitive answer to the English club.

http://www.calcionews24.com/esclusiva-southampton-coutinho-l-offerta-c-e-ma-il-giocatore-291481.html

First proper story on this one. Love these Italian stories, they all sound similar or maybe its just the funny translations.

Not suprised that he hasn't dreamed about playing for Saints, money and opportunities talk however...