Sunderland 1-1 SAINTS // Post-Match Reaction

Saint-Armstrong

The agony drags on at least another few days.

I can't see us losing by at least 13 goals to Stoke. That would be the 11 goals that our GD is better than Villa, + at least one that Wigan would need to beat them by (so at 12 would level things up presuming Wigan one by a single goal), and then our head to head is good.

Safe which is good and hopefully Hooiveld has at most one more game to play for us. He is our biggest weakness.

if he's starting next year we wont have had a good summer. Hopefully it will be a Ruiz/Astori CB partnership with Fonte/Maya backing them up

I'm deaf from the silence of Alpine on this thread. comedy gold of a poster.

Anyway, we weren't great. Lots of possession in the middle, but it doesn't really mean **** all if we don't have a forward pass - which we don't. We need an injection of pace for next year, so we can actually get beyond the defenders.

Most of the players look knackered to be honest, probably the heavier training regime taking it's toll. Will hopefully bed it better over pre-season.

Poor old Wigan though, great day yesterday, but their day of nightmares today. They're gone, and they probably know it now.

I thought we were the better team and had far more chances.

The Sunderland keeper made 3 or 4 very good saves.

Another day we would have won that 3-1 or even 4-1.

I know the point you're making but I'm increasingly fed up, if not bloody livid about the number of "another days" we seem to come away from games with, without ever seeing that performance come to reality.

Can't understand why everybody thought Lambert had such a bad game.

He nearly won it for us, only a very good save from their keeper stopped a good shot from a difficult position.

As always he did several clever flicks to put people in a good position.

That was total and utter gash - Shaw, Clyne, Punch and Boruc excepted. Sunderland could and should have been taken to the cleaners, they were seriously poor but we looked like we didn't give a toss.

Looks like the players swallowed the hype and have just about spluttered over the line.

We need some quality reinforcements in central defence, central midfield and up front otherwise we'll be scrapping around the bottom this time next year. Top half with this team is a dream.

Still, job done barring some freak results but the players have made it a really unsatisfying, ugly end to the season.

We are Premier League say we are Premier League!!! Love you Puncheon - safe at last. Precious goal, great for us, not so good for Sunderland who could still go down.

Now look at the fixtures on the last day - look at the table, and suddenly 11th place looks very doable! We can beat Stoke!

I'm deaf from the silence of Alpine on this thread. comedy gold of a poster.

Anyway, we weren't great. Lots of possession in the middle, but it doesn't really mean **** all if we don't have a forward pass - which we don't. We need an injection of pace for next year, so we can actually get beyond the defenders.

Most of the players look knackered to be honest, probably the heavier training regime taking it's toll. Will hopefully bed it better over pre-season.

Poor old Wigan though, great day yesterday, but their day of nightmares today. They're gone, and they probably know it now.

If they beat Arsenal it is still in their hands! As a win in their game v Villa will see villa down!

You should try to solve some of yours too...

"Gutless" you really are full of s hit

Agree.. Sunderland had to win to be safe and with Paulo di Canio winding this game up to be his Champions League game Saints were under a lot of pressure. They dominated, went one down, didn't panic and got what they deserved. This was a gutsy performance by Saints in my view.

The 10th Place dream is still alive :p (i think)

It is - looking at the fixtures on paper, Norwich probably won't beat Man City, Newcastle have a tough game against Arsenal and Sunderland have a tough game against Arsenal. On West Ham, in 10th, perhaps have a guaranteed 3 points at home against Norwich. 11th is most likely with a win, a draw would probably see us finish 12th, and even a loss could see us stay in 14th-15th.

Thanks to Puncheon, I no longer fear the 17th spot.

Edited by SNSUN

It is - looking at the fixtures on paper, Norwich probably won't beat Man City, Newcastle have a tough game against Arsenal and Sunderland have a tough game against Arsenal. On West Ham, in 10th, perhaps have a guaranteed 3 points at home against Norwich. 11th is most likely with a win, a draw would probably see us finish 12th, and even a loss could see us stay in 14th-25th.

Thanks to Puncheon, I no longer fear the 17th spot.

the 4th place duel is going down to the wire, Arsenal's and Tottenham's opponents have no chance

Major issues to resolve for next season. The return of Gutless Saints needs to be addressed.

There are admittedly one or two concerns about some aspects of the team but no need for this level of trolling! For weeks you have harped on about doom and gloom and even on the day we guarantee next season in the Prem you are still at it. We know Jos isn't up to it, nor Fox, nor several others but its time now for MP to do his stuff.

Also, when NA was here you moaned about his inadequcies with regard to substitutions, yet offer no praise to the game changing subs made by MP. If it wasn't for the fact that you amuse me with your desperate attention seeking statements, I, as many others I presume, would have you on the ignore list. Its almost like..... it could be worse, I could live the fun and wholesome existance of Alpine. Keep it up!

Phew, can I breathe again? Well done Saints, now the real planning can begin. The team that starts next season will look a lot different from the one that started this. The end of season has been a bit of a dreary dribble but a win next Sunday will perk everybody up and we can enjoy the summer with a quiet satisfaction.

When do the tickets go on sale?

When are the fixtures released?

:)

Major issues to resolve for next season. The return of Gutless Saints needs to be addressed.

LOL embarrasing response.

Well done lads, turned it right around after the shocker of a start we had.

Well done Poch, he's done what he came in to do.

Poor display lacking in creativity, urgency and motivation. We need a lot of investment one of which being a clinical striker. So many tines this season I have seen us dominate every stat but the score.

However, at the beginning of the year I would have taken 17th and I can see us finishing 11th with the final day fixtures. Well done Saints.

Weve finished the season poorly results wise but still playing some good football. If it wasnt for Adkins poor start to the season we would have been safe ages ago. We still have the potential to finish 10th. But most importantly our limp end to the season will surely ensure Cortese wiil loosen the purse strings. Although I have heard we have a couple of good ones lined up already.

We have acheived miracles this season, we were written off and we have beaten some top sides. Although the defeats against QPR, Wigan, and WBA have mentally scarred me.

I can't understand some of the hostility and negativity on here. Why is Jos being singled out for example? Both central defenders had rock solid games and hardly put a foot wrong all day. Clearing when required and controlling things when they could. That is their job. Jos slightly deflected Bardsley's shot so that must mean he had a terrrible game. Some of you need to have agood long look at yourselves.

No idea why Lambert is also getting abuse. He led the line well again against two huge centre backs he made life difficult for them and wo so many flick ons as well as holding it and bringing others into play. That's his job. But he missed a chance. Jesus that must mean he had a terrible game.

For a team playing away from home with 40k roaring on Sunderland I thought we coped well and dare I say it controlled the game, playing by far and a way the better football. Coming from behind showed character and having players to come off the bench and change things is also encouraging.

I think back to the Monday night at WBA and boy have we come a long way. At that point I seriousy couldn't see us surviving and saw no way back. Credit to both sets of staff and players for turning our season round and giving us plenty of enjoyment along the way.

I can't understand some of the hostility and negativity on here. Why is Jos being singled out for example? Both central defenders had rock solid games and hardly put a foot wrong all day. Clearing when required and controlling things when they could. That is their job. Jos slightly deflected Bardsley's shot so that must mean he had a terrrible game. Some of you need to have agood long look at yourselves.

No idea why Lambert is also getting abuse. He led the line well again against two huge centre backs he made life difficult for them and wo so many flick ons as well as holding it and bringing others into play. That's his job. But he missed a chance. Jesus that must mean he had a terrible game.

For a team playing away from home with 40k roaring on Sunderland I thought we coped well and dare I say it controlled the game, playing by far and a way the better football. Coming from behind showed character and having players to come off the bench and change things is also encouraging.

I think back to the Monday night at WBA and boy have we come a long way. At that point I seriousy couldn't see us surviving and saw no way back. Credit to both sets of staff and players for turning our season round and giving us plenty of enjoyment along the way.

Well done Chez...a really good summary as usual...

Weve finished the season poorly results wise but still playing some good football. If it wasnt for Adkins poor start to the season we would have been safe ages ago. We still have the potential to finish 10th. But most importantly our limp end to the season will surely ensure Cortese wiil loosen the purse strings. Although I have heard we have a couple of good ones lined up already.

We have acheived miracles this season, we were written off and we have beaten some top sides. Although the defeats against QPR, Wigan, and WBA have mentally scarred me.

If we finished 10th. Worth about £3million in additional prize money from where we are now.

I can't see us losing by at least 13 goals to Stoke. That would be the 11 goals that our GD is better than Villa, + at least one that Wigan would need to beat them by (so at 12 would level things up presuming Wigan one by a single goal), and then our head to head is good.

I know we're all but safe but GD won't matter a flying fk if we lose next weekend and Wigan win the next two. We're five points in front, not six.