Sunderland 1-1 SAINTS // Post-Match Reaction

Saint-Armstrong

I know we're all but safe but GD won't matter a flying fk if we lose next weekend and Wigan win the next two. We're five points in front, not six.

If Wigan win the next two then they must have beaten Villa on the last day, and Villa are below us now on goal difference. We have a much better GD than Villa by 12 goals or so.

Comment from Sunderland forum

'Desperately hanging on at the end against SOUTHAMPTON!!

'we were outplayed for most of the game by a team with inferior players'

Mind you glad that Sunderland were without their 2 main strikers.

Lost my chance of £8k in bets (placed against a worse case scenario) but happy that saints are more or less assured of a another season in the top league

Major issues to resolve for next season. The return of Gutless Saints needs to be addressed.

You wouldn't understand the word guts beyond that flabby mass around your torso...that was a performance that took real character to come back after going a goal down.

Is lack of guts the reason RL missed so many today that he'd normally have buried? Did anyone shirk tackles, did anyone stop giving their all?! No - you are just depressively incapable of seeing beyond your own negativitity...I'd call you a c*nt but they have uses!

I know we're all but safe but GD won't matter a flying fk if we lose next weekend and Wigan win the next two. We're five points in front, not six.

How many times does this need to be explained? Wigan could technically finish above us but that would mean Villa finishing behind us (unless we lose 12-0 or worse)

Lost my chance of £8k in bets (placed against a worse case scenario) but happy that saints are more or less assured of a another season in the top league

Did someone really post that?..PMSL

Well I reckon that's that! Eventful season that may be should've been put to bed earlier but no harm, we were under a lot of pressure and testing for our brave playing style so it's good to see it through.

Now time for next season:

We need another striker as I'm not sure Lambert is as of yet rid of the threat of a Holtesque 2nd season (may I suggest Chris Wood from Leicester?).

We may need a winger as Lallana needs a kick up the ar.. and I'm not sure Ramirez is happy here.

We must sign a left-footed CB ASAP and send Hooiveld on the first flight back to Amsterdam!

We must also sign a full-back depending on what we want to do with Shaw. I guess a LB who provides competition can't do any harm.

Why are so many people saying almost safe? We are mathematically absolutely safe. Wigan can only catch us if they beat Arsenal and Villa, and if that happens villa can't improve their goal difference to catch us. It's between Wigan, Sunderland and Villa only

If Wigan win the next two then they must have beaten Villa on the last day, and Villa are below us now on goal difference. We have a much better GD than Villa by 12 goals or so.

As someone else pointed out. Cheers though. Unfortunately I took my eye off the ball, missus at work and three kids to look after and all that.

I can't understand some of the hostility and negativity on here. Why is Jos being singled out for example? Both central defenders had rock solid games and hardly put a foot wrong all day. Clearing when required and controlling things when they could. That is their job. Jos slightly deflected Bardsley's shot so that must mean he had a terrrible game. Some of you need to have agood long look at yourselves.

No idea why Lambert is also getting abuse. He led the line well again against two huge centre backs he made life difficult for them and wo so many flick ons as well as holding it and bringing others into play. That's his job. But he missed a chance. Jesus that must mean he had a terrible game.

For a team playing away from home with 40k roaring on Sunderland I thought we coped well and dare I say it controlled the game, playing by far and a way the better football. Coming from behind showed character and having players to come off the bench and change things is also encouraging.

I think back to the Monday night at WBA and boy have we come a long way. At that point I seriousy couldn't see us surviving and saw no way back. Credit to both sets of staff and players for turning our season round and giving us plenty of enjoyment along the way.

Have to agree with you today.

In fact, it's draws like this that make me think we are better off with Pochettino. Not sure Adkins would've pulled this out of the fire, and add a couple of games in this 2nd half of the season in there. We were playing well, but we weren't looking that secure.

Why are so many people saying almost safe? We are mathematically absolutely safe. Wigan can only catch us if they beat Arsenal and Villa, and if that happens villa can't improve their goal difference to catch us. It's between Wigan, Sunderland and Villa only

because by losing 13-0 against Stoke we could be in danger if Villa only lose 1-0 to Wigan; some are still desperate to be right you know

How many times does this need to be explained? Wigan could technically finish above us but that would mean Villa finishing behind us (unless we lose 12-0 or worse)

Keep your knickers on. I've been too busy to read the whole thread and check the table. Not to mention rather put off by the appearance of Alps and the MLG and Turks show on the match thread.

Have to agree with you today.

In fact, it's draws like this that make me think we are better off with Pochettino. Not sure Adkins would've pulled this out of the fire, and add a couple of games in this 2nd half of the season in there. We were playing well, but we weren't looking that secure.

.. or a 2-0 deficit at Chelsea either of course.

Pathetic, with a repeat of the past few gaes. Lallana in the role of the headless chicken and it was tilol he was replaced my Puncheon anything changed.

Did anyone see the pre-match tunnel scenes. Sunderland lined up and smart and on parade. NoT a sign of Saints. Finally 90 seconds later, Lallana appears, as if he was looking for the toilet. 30 seconds later the remaining players slouch in, in a hap hazard manner. Looked a rabble, taking the lead from their pathetic Captain.

Never seen a Saints team so pathetic. Never felt so much hate for a Saints player as I do for Lallana since he was APPOINTED CAPTAIN. This calls for a Jimmy Case type character to knock them back into shape. :(

What a poor end to the season

Its disappointing that we didn't put things to bed a few games earlier but I wouldn't describe it as a "poor" end to the season. We effectively gave the other sides a 10 game head-start and can still finish in the top half (if we win and a few results go our way next week).

Pathetic, with a repeat of the past few gaes. Lallana in the role of the headless chicken and it was tilol he was replaced my Puncheon anything changed.

Did anyone see the pre-match tunnel scenes. Sunderland lined up and smart and on parade. NoT a sign of Saints. Finally 90 seconds later, Lallana appears, as if he was looking for the toilet. 30 seconds later the remaining players slouch in, in a hap hazard manner. Looked a rabble, taking the lead from their pathetic Captain.

Never seen a Saints team so pathetic. Never felt so much hate for a Saints player as I do for Lallana since he was APPOINTED CAPTAIN. This calls for a Jimmy Case type character to knock them back into shape. :(

Guaranteed at least a dozen bites there I reckon ART....

There's a reason we're all breathing a sigh of relief at safety! ;-)

Ok, I'd rather our season didn't have to come down to safety just because two of our rivals are playing each other, but nonetheless that's the case. And I still think we'll pick up a point or more next week anyway.

We get it .. you don't like lallana ... can you not just change your name to adam lallana is a c**t so you can stop banging on about it?

Bit pathetic for a man of your age isn't it? I agree he is not really captain material at the moment, it was a mistake to put this weight on a player who had not played in the PL before, but to hate him because he was given the armband by Adkins seems a bit OTT. I think your anti-Lallana vitriol is a rather sad reflection on you rather than AL.

Guaranteed at least a dozen bites there I reckon ART....

I'll be the first to bite.(obviously I'm not).

Spot on, Art, although I don't think "hate" is appropriate at all.

Lallana is not captain material, as you say we need a Jimmy Case or Alan Ball type leading the team with drive, not a wet lettuce.

Allow Lallana to concentrate on his own game, rather than trying and failing to lead the rest.

I'd like to say well done to all who made the long trip up! Were in cracking voice for near on ninety minutes even after we conceded!

I heard the sunderland fans about three times in the entire game which was dissapointing.

Also I know some dont like it because it's "anti pompey" etc but nice to hear Poch have his own song, hopefully it can get going at the Stoke game :D

because by losing 13-0 against Stoke we could be in danger if Villa only lose 1-0 to Wigan; some are still desperate to be right you know

Michael Owen's parting shot don't you know. He's going to score 12 in his last game and Hooiveld will then score an OG to send us down :-)

Virtually a pathetic repeat of a post made buy someone with no credible opinion just a bitter agenda

Hope Wigan do get something on Tuesday. But fear it will be all over for the cup winners on Tuesday night. Nick a point and take it to the last day :)

Back in October we were going down, who would have thought we would be preparing for another season in the premier league.

Apparently Lallana thinks you are a weird mentalist cvnt.

Hope Wigan do get something on Tuesday. But fear it will be all over for the cup winners on Tuesday night. Nick a point and take it to the last day :)

Back in October we were going down, who would have thought we would be preparing for another season in the premier league.

They need to beat Arsenal or it's over for them, really. They'd need a huge goal difference swing v Sunderland on the final day if they only draw.

Lallana is a very very talented footballer, who has shown us far more loyalty than 99% of other pro footballers in recent times.

Yes, he is having a difficult patch. Yes, he is perhaps not the best choice for Captain

BUT we would not get a replacement flair midfielder that is better than him for less than £15M!

I think next season he will be awesome

Inferior? lol!

Have a look at their team, it's complete dross. I wouldn't want any of them anywhere near our squad. I'm actually quite frustrated we couldn't be that crap, because christ, they are one of the worst PL teams I've seen in recent times.

A bunch of predictable cloggers. They need extensive surgery if they are to be anything but relegated next year.

You are a bit weird aren't you. Mark Chapman in disguise?

Seriously?

Lallana is a very very talented footballer, who has shown us far more loyalty than 99% of other pro footballers in recent times.

Yes, he is having a difficult patch. Yes, he is perhaps not the best choice for Captain

BUT we would not get a replacement flair midfielder that is better than him for less than £15M!

Very accurate......

He is our talented player and hopefully will remain in the side/squad for many seasons to come...

Pre season fitness and games and the star quality will shine through again and many sides will suffer...:)

Bite? Just pathetically wierd... what sad fricken life event has caused such patheitic bitterness of a football?... I feel for you as it must have been pretty horrendous.

Spot on! Let's not forget he was in the england squad before an injury disrupted him and earning rave reviews. Has he had his best season, no but you can bet he'l be determined to push on next year. Captain or not he's been, and is, a cracking player for us and a massive part of all that is good about our club.

Job Done, Now get some more power and composure at CB and attacking players who can consistently produce the goods in the final third, particularly against teams who want to defend deep and in numbers and a defensive midfield powerhouse to go straight into the team and get some real cover at full back and we can hopefully have a stress free season next year.

Here is a thought for Alpine

If we win next Sunday and all those up to West Ham 10th lose we will be 10th!

Man City v Norwich - Home side will want to sign off well

Newcastle v Arsenal - Away side will still be challenging for top 4

Swansea v Fulham - Home side may be relaxing but too much for poor away form team

Tottenham v Sunderland - ditto Arsenal

Wigan v Aston Villa - Home side pride as they return with FA cup (even though they will likely be relegated)

West Ham v Reading - Could our old Manager give us one more boost?

Just think where we have come from since out 10th game when we were leaking goals and only had 4 points.

Plenty to do in the close season but we are on the right path.

Well done to Salisbury too who return to Blue Square Conference (just one league away from PFC)

One of our most controlled and composed performances I have seen from us away from home (last week excepted of course)

What today showed is that with a true cutting edge up front we would have destroyed Sunderland. But poor old Jos got in the way again to almost grab a PL record for own goals all to himself.

IF we are to play this pressing game then we need to START with better players than Puncheon & Lallana, and to be honest than Rickie. But with that quality of squad and the style....

We're going to dump about 11 players who got us into the PL over the summer, replace Chappers, SDR, Fox & Richardson with the RIGHT quality over the summer.

Then we may never hear from Alpine again.

We've done BLOODY well to stagger over the finish line with such high intensity football and a small first team squad.

That won't happen next year, we'll have the rotation available

It's clear that Rickie has run out of steam but he still played his part in the tactics & the team effort

I don't know why I indulge you, really I don't. We've just come back from a goal down at a side who are desperate for points to get a well-deserved draw, and you consider that gutless? You really are a special one Alps!

As they say, everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if it's utter bollocks.

My turn

I thought we played well but just lacked bite in the final 3rd. Lallana really did fail to impress, but I didn't think Lambo had that bad a game. puncheon and Wardy Prowse were real game changers, (could have done with them on earlier).

Oh, and almost forgot.

Wigan.....blah blah....Arsenal...rhubard...Villa...yada yada....40 points.....thingy......Goal Diffence....diddilly...12-0....ooodilly...Stoke.....rah rah rah.