Sunderland 1-1 SAINTS // Post-Match Reaction

Saint-Armstrong

Ok. Everyone would had taken this at the start of the season, especially with our horrific start. BUT, if only, if only we'd not thrown away those leads, our league position could have been extremely impressive, Oh well! :) COYR

Ok. Everyone would had taken this at the start of the season, especially with our horrific start. BUT, if only, if only we'd not thrown away those leads, our league position could have been extremely impressive, Oh well! :) COYR

It will be impressive next season. We are a different side now.

Unless we lose lots of players for silly money of course

I can't understand some of the hostility and negativity on here. Why is Jos being singled out for example? Both central defenders had rock solid games and hardly put a foot wrong all day. Clearing when required and controlling things when they could. That is their job. Jos slightly deflected Bardsley's shot so that must mean he had a terrrible game. Some of you need to have agood long look at yourselves.

No idea why Lambert is also getting abuse. He led the line well again against two huge centre backs he made life difficult for them and wo so many flick ons as well as holding it and bringing others into play. That's his job. But he missed a chance. Jesus that must mean he had a terrible game.

For a team playing away from home with 40k roaring on Sunderland I thought we coped well and dare I say it controlled the game, playing by far and a way the better football. Coming from behind showed character and having players to come off the bench and change things is also encouraging.

I think back to the Monday night at WBA and boy have we come a long way. At that point I seriousy couldn't see us surviving and saw no way back. Credit to both sets of staff and players for turning our season round and giving us plenty of enjoyment along the way.

Completely agree mate.

Major issues to resolve for next season. The return of Gutless Saints needs to be addressed.

Alpine will never be happy with Saints. This is a fact, and has been proven ad nauseum on here for as long as I can remember.

Once you realise this, you realise there is no point getting upset with him, or trying to correct him. It's his problem, not ours.

Alpine will never be happy with Saints. This is a fact, and has been proven ad nauseum on here for as long as I can remember.

Once you realise this, you realise there is no point getting upset with him, or trying to correct him. It's his problem, not ours.

but Alpine is disrespectful to the players; can't have been easy for them to battle back from our abysmal start and have idiots like him slagging them off all of the time.

Better quality through the squad will allow us to rotate with confidence next season (hopefully) and therefore will need to rely on the likes of RL and AL for nearly 95% of the season.

One more game boys and then you can ALL have a deserved rest. Next season is HUGE.

Lallana is a very very talented footballer, who has shown us far more loyalty than 99% of other pro footballers in recent times.

Yes, he is having a difficult patch. Yes, he is perhaps not the best choice for Captain

BUT we would not get a replacement flair midfielder that is better than him for less than £15M!

I think next season he will be awesome

Rubbish, how much did puncheon cost because hes much better.

Better quality through the squad will allow us to rotate with confidence next season (hopefully) and therefore will need to rely on the likes of RL and AL for nearly 95% of the season.

One more game boys and then you can ALL have a deserved rest. Next season is HUGE.

How have we relied on lallana? hes scored 3 goals?

We were by far the better side, but just lacked that spark in the final third. We really opened them up when JWP and Punch came on. I can't fathom why MP has used Punch so sparingly - he looked really sharp. JWP looked Scholesesque - he's going to be some player next season. I don't think anyone can blame Jos; the defence did okay and were undone by a wonder strike from a bloke who has got 2 goals in 2 years. True, some of the players looked a little leggy, but we did well overall. A win next week is a must - let's finish the season on a high.

We were by far the better side, but just lacked that spark in the final third. We really opened them up when JWP and Punch came on. I can't fathom why MP has used Punch so sparingly - he looked really sharp. JWP looked Scholesesque - he's going to be some player next season. I don't think anyone can blame Jos; the defence did okay and were undone by a wonder strike from a bloke who has got 2 goals in 2 years. True, some of the players looked a little leggy, but we did well overall. A win next week is a must - let's finish the season on a high.

Yeah, i thought JWP looked a lot stronger when he came on, if he can fill out a bit and add some bulk over the summer i think he can be a real player next year, possibly in that no 10 type position

Michael Owen's parting shot don't you know. He's going to score 12 in his last game and Hooiveld will then score an OG to send us down :-)

Perhaps MP will have a rush of blood to the head, run on and deck him in the box, for old times sake!

Unbelievable that some on here are so negative but hardly surprising given the form of most posters on here. I was at the game, saints fans were absolutely brilliant, full voice for the full 90.

Sunderland were crap in all departments and their fans embarrassingly bad.

A hard earned point which sees us safe (should have won mind).

Great subs from MP.

Prem next year and people still complain?

Anybody got post match reaction from MP yet? BBC live text didnt have him or Paolo but had other managers, would be nice to hear his thoughts on the game and a bit of looking forward. For example is he likely to rotate a little for stoke? Would be cracking to see a few of the young players on the fringes at least make the bench (though that might just be me! I know a win means we could finish higher and have a few more bob).

Lallana is a very very talented footballer, who has shown us far more loyalty than 99% of other pro footballers in recent times.

Yes, he is having a difficult patch. Yes, he is perhaps not the best choice for Captain

BUT we would not get a replacement flair midfielder that is better than him for less than £15M!

I think next season he will be awesome

Yep, pretty much my thoughts on Lallana. He's not been the same since his injury, but with a full pre-season, he will be a useful player next season. He's Premier League quality IMO, having powered us up through the leagues, he just needs to find some form. I would strip him of the captaincy, but aside from that to replace him would cost lots, and I do think he'll have a better season next year.

the sunderland forums make amusing reading...

At one point today they were safe, but I don't think they have too much to worry about. Wigan's fight will be over on Tuesday IMO, and the last day will be a massive anti-climax for the teams above them.

private-fraser.jpg

That's not Alpine: not fat enough..

Not long in: we had a late kick off and then I wandered home through town having a couple of glasses . Incidentally, we drew 1-1 too, which was pretty good considering we only had 10 players, have a massive pitch, it was bl***y hot, I was playing full back for the first time at 58 years old and they only scored with 5 minutes to go when our legs were all shattered.

But I'm really positive about my two teams' results. I can't believe the other Saint who lives in the Alps actually took the effort to start a thread to really show what a segaiolo he is.

Pathetic, with a repeat of the past few gaes. Lallana in the role of the headless chicken and it was tilol he was replaced my Puncheon anything changed.

Did anyone see the pre-match tunnel scenes. Sunderland lined up and smart and on parade. NoT a sign of Saints. Finally 90 seconds later, Lallana appears, as if he was looking for the toilet. 30 seconds later the remaining players slouch in, in a hap hazard manner. Looked a rabble, taking the lead from their pathetic Captain.

Never seen a Saints team so pathetic. Never felt so much hate for a Saints player as I do for Lallana since he was APPOINTED CAPTAIN. This calls for a Jimmy Case type character to knock them back into shape. :(

Bellend Alert ! Bellend Alert!

Seriously you need help from a professional.

Comment from Sunderland forum

'Desperately hanging on at the end against SOUTHAMPTON!!

'we were outplayed for most of the game by a team with inferior players'

Mind you glad that Sunderland were without their 2 main strikers.

Lost my chance of £8k in bets (placed against a worse case scenario) but happy that saints are more or less assured of a another season in the top league

Damn.... I'd forgotten I also had c.£8k coming to me if Saints were relegated. I feel weirdly happy!

Anybody got post match reaction from MP yet? BBC live text didnt have him or Paolo but had other managers, would be nice to hear his thoughts on the game and a bit of looking forward. For example is he likely to rotate a little for stoke? Would be cracking to see a few of the young players on the fringes at least make the bench (though that might just be me! I know a win means we could finish higher and have a few more bob).

http://audioboo.fm/boos/1387591-saintsfc-boss-mauricio-pochettino-talks-to-bigadamsport-after-draw-with-sunderland

PdC was on BBC2 final score and said that we were by far the better team but MP wasn't shown on the bit I did see?

Good day at Sunderland. Thought we deserved it over the 90 minutes, puncheon and shaw stood out for us. Lambert and Lallana were absolutely terrible. Hope they get dropped for next week.

Fans- atmosphere was pretty poor today, I don't understand why some folk don't join in and get behind the team?? For such an important 2nd last game of the season I thought the turn out and atmosphere was not what I expected it to be.

Just back home :)

Outplayed them without creating too many clear chances. Shaw was great, thought Jos played well too.

Cant remember Boruc making a save. Would have been criminal if we hadnt equalised...... Didnt deserve to lose, but need to do more in last 3rd.

We never lose when Glasgow_saint starts a match thread :)

Just back home :)

Outplayed them without creating too many clear chances. Shaw was great, thought Jos played well too.

Cant remember Boruc making a save. Would have been criminal if we hadnt equalised...... Didnt deserve to lose, but need to do more in last 3rd.

We never lose when Glasgow_saint starts a match thread :)

I love you Glasgow_Saint, will you have my babies?

Safe, and we can still catch the hammers!

Dr Who, I quite literally agree. This is my objective this season, nothing else would matter to me. If we went down but finished above them I would still have had some satisfaction. To finish below those bastards is unacceptable! I will never forgive them for singing "we play on the floor" to us at their place. Grrr!!

Just watched their goal. Reasonable case for calling it a Jos og. Looked like Artur had the shot covered until the flick.

Would be a fantastic premier league record for Jos.

Not a great game, very end-of-season. Sunderland's a grim place. We dominated the ball totally but didn't make much from it. I think Fonte proved why MP prefers Yoshida and Hooiveld - uncharacteristically shakey and nervous at some points today though it never really cost us. The subs changed the game and I think it's that new blood that might give us a bit more intent going forward. Hope to see a deviation from the normal XI against Stoke but who knows?

Anyway, got the point so we're safe. Happy days!

Edited by DuncanRG

Good day out, Sunderland might be grim but it's got some of the friendliest natives and the most welcoming pubs in the PL. I thought Saints fans were excellent, pretty much non stop where we were, left hand side, a few rows back from Mikey-D or so the shirt said.

Atmosphere from the home fans absolutely abysmal (again), one massive roar when they scored and literally that was the only time we heard them all game. I couldn't hear or see any chanting/singing in any part of their ground, people that moan about SMS really do need to go and look at some of these away grounds.

Game was surprisingly low-key from their point of view, they never got started and we did a job on them the whole first half without really threatening, a couple of smart stops from Mignolet apart. First 20 of the second half they upped it and played quicker and more direct but again without threatening, didn't see the deflection live, just saw Bardsley welt it across Boruc and into the far sidenet.

Great response from Saints, got back into playing our football, deserved equaliser, and looked the more likely in the last 10 minutes.

Shaw was excellent, back to his rampaging best, what a talent. I thought Cork had a very busy first half, playing deep in front of the centre backs and making lots of challenges and interceptions (was he injured again, or tactical?). Morgan very good and Davis got through plenty of work. Punch and JWP also effective when they came on.

We were only a decent finish or two away from winning that game very comfortably, we looked like the home team for large parts and Sunderland had no real answers.