Cortese to stay

Saint Garrett

Its surely just as feasible that the Liebherrs leaked the story to gauge fan reaction to Cortese. The story first appeared in the Times and Cortese hasn't exactly had the best relationship with New Corp papers over he past few years.

Its surely just as feasible that the Liebherrs leaked the story to gauge fan reaction to Cortese. The story first appeared in the Times and Cortese hasn't exactly had the best relationship with New Corp papers over he past few years.

Story was that NC & News Corp kissed and made up shortly after the no photographers issue, and they have been 'on side' ever since.

This whole thing actually has been great PR. I wouldn't be surprised if it was all planned to create a big positive news story about something that was always going to happen. There probably was never any disagreement between the Liebherrs and Cortese, I expect both parties engineered it all.

Now in the national news we have "Saints are owned by billionaires, have big plans, and are all united." - great PR. The only reason that made the news is because of all that cr@p that went on before.

There probably was never any disagreement between the Liebherrs and Cortese, I expect both parties engineered it all.

Sounds very plausible. This week's PR has been so blatant the Liebherrs would surely have been livid if they hadn't agreed to it being leaked the way it has done. As it is, the big story is that we're "together as one" again, to recycle an old soundbite.

Sounds very plausible. This week's PR has been so blatant the Liebherrs would surely have been livid if they hadn't agreed to it being leaked the way it has done. As it is, the big story is that we're "together as one" again, to recycle an old soundbite.

It's not in the slightest bit plausible. This isn't the World Wrestling Federation.

Forum expert earlier in thread making out only one person on the forum subscribed to the "Leibherrs in on it all along" theory. Maybe just a few more than that....

It's not in the slightest bit plausible. This isn't the World Wrestling Federation.

Forum expert earlier in thread making out only one person on the forum subscribed to the "Leibherrs in on it all along" theory. Maybe just a few more than that....

My apologies, 3 people.

Cortese using the media to try and manipulate his bosses plans is no less plausible given how he and the Leibherrs have kept absolutely everything behind closed doors so far.

So we're taking the best possible news and arguing over it now as whether it was bad PR or not?

Holy ****!

Yesterday's announcement was great news. No one is denying that (maybe one or two mentalists).

What some are saying is the days of uncertainty was "brilliant PR" on its own.

Cortese using the media to try and manipulate his bosses plans is no less plausible given how he and the Leibherrs have kept absolutely everything behind closed doors so far.

...meanwhile others are claiming that the previously publicity averse Leibherr family now decided to play "let's-pretend" games with a jolly tale that they have fallen out with the chief executive, and then they made up, but they were all in on it all along.

Not entirely sure why on earth they would bother but thats the theory. And an awfully funny one it is at that. Sorry, not funny. Plausible. Like, really plausible.

Yesterday's announcement was great news. No one is denying that (maybe one or two mentalists).

...meanwhile others are claiming that the previously publicity averse Leibherr family now decided to play "let's-pretend" games with a jolly tale that they have fallen out with the chief executive, and then they made up, but they were all in on it all along.

Not entirely sure why on earth they would bother but thats the theory. And an awfully funny one it is at that. Sorry, not funny. Plausible. Like, really plausible.

Like everyone else, I am stumped as to why NC leaked the strategy and contract talk stuff... As we have seen and has been pointed out, it goes against the normal behind clouded doors approach... But as its open season on mad speculative improbable possible maybes... I'll have a mad punt .

My mad theory is based on the Liebherrs not believing NC can actually achieve what he has set for global domination. Indeed it easy to see Katherina, saying, "we are never in the news we must be tin pot small, never going to happen sunshine"

NC replies, "ok, watch this, and your'll see how quickly the media suckers lap it up and we'll have saints on the sky ticker tape quicker than Pompey are back in admin"

.... A few days later, " see, told ya. The interest is there. Give us the spondoolies and you won't lose out'

totally made up ******, like everyone else's theories. Only thing is, I don't believe anyone dropped a bollock here, this was calculated, but NC must also have known that it was never going to rattle the family... Or would have been a mental risk... We will never know, but who cares, the outcome is what 95% of us wanted so we must all be happy now!

I reckon it was NCs equivlient of putting a pigs head I'm someone's locker. It was all just an end of season wind up. I expect they all has a look on here and decided that it would be hilarious to wind the CoC up and make them Think Nicky was about to do one. I expert the play players had a sweepstake on how many pages the thread would get to and there was an award for beat mboard theory as to why NC might go award at the end of season party in Zurich on Friday night. It was all one big wind up and you all fell for it you plums. Katrina, Nicky, the players, the media and MP are all LOLing at you.

Look, this is sports journalism we're talking about.

It's easy to see how a standard interview with Cortese, in which he says:

* We've achieved our 5 year plan 1 year early, so it's appropriate to have a review meeting to plan the next part of the project

* We need to align the investment strategy with the sporting and infrastructure plans to ensure its all properly funded

* My own contract will also be part of the review

Becomes:

* Uncertainty surrounds future funding

* Cortese is unsure if owners plans match his own

* NC's future at the club is in doubt

None of which is untrue.

There need not have been any "placing" of articles, just one journo looking to make a name for himself. As so many have said, it goes against everything we've seen of NC and the Liebherrs in their tenure.

Mountains and molehills.

In fairness to them it could be that Fox is just slow to catch on as per his usual playing style :lol:

Interesting to read he hopes they are both here for a long time to come as I seriously wonder if Mr Fox himself will be. I'm hoping we can wave him goodbye in a few short weeks !!

* We've achieved our 5 year plan 1 year early, so it's appropriate to have a review meeting to plan the next part of the project

* We need to align the investment strategy with the sporting and infrastructure plans to ensure its all properly funded

Becomes:

None of which is untrue.

There need not have been any "placing" of articles, just one journo looking to make a name for himself. As so many have said, it goes against everything we've seen of NC and the Liebherrs in their tenure.

Mountains and molehills.

From my experience with journalists this sounds abut right!

Like everyone else, I am stumped as to why NC leaked the strategy and contract talk stuff... As we have seen and has been pointed out, it goes against the normal behind clouded doors approach... But as its open season on mad speculative improbable possible maybes... I'll have a mad punt .

My mad theory is based on the Liebherrs not believing NC can actually achieve what he has set for global domination. Indeed it easy to see Katherina, saying, "we are never in the news we must be tin pot small, never going to happen sunshine"

NC replies, "ok, watch this, and your'll see how quickly the media suckers lap it up and we'll have saints on the sky ticker tape quicker than Pompey are back in admin"

.... A few days later, " see, told ya. The interest is there. Give us the spondoolies and you won't lose out'

totally made up ******, like everyone else's theories. Only thing is, I don't believe anyone dropped a bollock here, this was calculated, but NC must also have known that it was never going to rattle the family... Or would have been a mental risk... We will never know, but who cares, the outcome is what 95% of us wanted so we must all be happy now!

Think the coverage from the Adkins sacking would have shown them how much news coverage we can really get if that was something that was worrying them.

Becomes:

None of which is untrue.

Mountains and molehills.

This is like a Disney production meeting.

Welcome to fairytale land.

If any of that was remotely true why on earth did MP need to speak out about him going if NC went?

If it was made up by a journo, then NC would have told MP just that and no comments would be required.

And what we have seen in NC's "tenure" is plenty of put downs to journalists when they have been wrong, and proven wrong. If anything it's a hallmark of how NC works. No such response this time round. I wonder why?

Becomes:

None of which is untrue.

Mountains and molehills.

Of all the theories spouted on here, this strikes me as (far and away!) the most plausible !

Well put !

Of all the theories spouted on here, this strikes me as (far and away!) the most plausible !

Well put !

On the flip side it strikes me as the least credible one I've yet read; that Cortese was misquoted by a rigue interviewer? This wan't just some newbie journo that broke the news. And as CB Fry rightly says, whenever SFC or NC have been misquoted or had significantly impalusible stories written about them in the past they've been none too shy to come forward and set the record straight on the OS or other media. In this case the original story was backed up by the manager and then the player of the season coming out in the press to reinforce the original story. And then it was all wrapped up in a bow with the final end that everything had been resolved and we were ploughing forward with the original plan.

Its a great outcome, but I don't see a need to sugar coat it and pretend it was something other than the Chairman playing hardball and looking for some a sign of assurity that previously made committments would be met.

Becomes:

None of which is untrue.

Mountains and molehills.

Like you, I don't have a very high opinion of journalists, having had years of enough experience reading about stories that have either been twisted or fabricated and this has made me very cynical about them.

But according to our resident expert with insider knowledge of things journalistic, the scenario above is most unlikely.

There are already those on here that are saying this is completely made up, shoddy journalism etc. This story would have to have been double checked so it's true, the fact that Tony has put his name to it just confirms that even more.

Given that both Cortese and the Liebherrs have before now been reticent to talk to the press, it is a bit odd how they got to hear about this, but in the same way that posters on here have been capable of coming up with all sorts of conjecture as to the how it all came about, the press are equally capable of getting the wrong end of the stick too in my opinion.

This is like a Disney production meeting.

Welcome to fairytale land.

If any of that was remotely true why on earth did MP need to speak out about him going if NC went?

If it was made up by a journo, then NC would have told MP just that and no comments would be required.

And what we have seen in NC's "tenure" is plenty of put downs to journalists when they have been wrong, and proven wrong. If anything it's a hallmark of how NC works. No such response this time round. I wonder why?

Calm down dear. It's just a theory.

How is life in monochrome?

No one knows what went on behind the scenes, we are all speculating.

You can't deny it is all excellent PR though. We have "Saints are ambitious and owned by billionaires" in the national media, the fans will be signing Cortese's and Leibherr's name at the game today (when many had appeared to have taken having rich owners for granted). All because the chairman and owner had a meeting they were always going to have.

No one has lied to the media, just a few carefully worded statements and they have a story where there is none.

Calm down dear. It's just a theory.

How is life in monochrome?

In my monochrome world, our chairman uses tactical press briefing to seed a story to strenghten his position and secure long term support (and we presume financial backing) from the clubs owners. Everyone's a winner.

In your multicoloured world our chairman is a bumbling oaf allowing himself to be misquoted, letting a false story run unchallenged for few days, upsetting a lot of fans who don't want him to go. And allowing his own staff to perpetuate this pack of lies with on the record quotes, further panicking some fans. Even at the end this bumbling oaf of a chairman doesn't ask for an apology or attempt to rubbish the story.

I think I'll stick to monochrome. Nicola's played an effing blinder. Shame you can't see it.

You can't deny it is all excellent PR though. We have "Saints are ambitious and owned by billionaires" in the national media, the fans will be signing Cortese's and Leibherr's name at the game today (when many had appeared to have taken having rich owners for granted). All because the chairman and owner had a meeting they were always going to have.

Presumably we can expect the same again at the end of next season when the Chairman and the owner have their annual talks. This turned out be a nothing story, just run of the mill performance appraisal. The only thing that seems to have happened of significant note is that we once again have an owner, it seems that the long drawn out probate system in Switzerland has come to an end and Katharina is now the owner. Others may have been bequeathed some shares but it is clear that she is the main person now. Hopefully we can stop all these references to the Liebherr family and the Trust now. There is a lot of misunderstanding about the involvement of what is referred to as the Liebherr family. Markus' direct family is the only part with any significant involvement as far as can be told.

If nothing else it reminds our 'friends' down the road that we are the biggest Trust owned football club on the South Coast ;)

F.A.O: beatlesaint...you're welcome to do whatever you like with the post in the 'Caption Competition' thread...it was 3 posts and out yesterday.

In my monochrome world, our chairman uses tactical press briefing to seed a story to strenghten his position and secure long term support (and we presume financial backing) from the clubs owners. Everyone's a winner.

In your multicoloured world our chairman is a bumbling oaf allowing himself to be misquoted, letting a false story run unchallenged for few days, upsetting a lot of fans who don't want him to go. And allowing his own staff to perpetuate this pack of lies with on the record quotes, further panicking some fans. Even at the end this bumbling oaf of a chairman doesn't ask for an apology or attempt to rubbish the story.

I think I'll stick to monochrome. Nicola's played an effing blinder. Shame you can't see it.

In a weird kind of way. We are actually agreeing then. Just one page ago you said I was wrong in saying Cortese has played the PR card well here... now you see that he has used the media to great effect to get what he wanted and stir unprecedented unity in the fanbase.

Are you feeling ok?

Extending the "engineered PR" theory.... Maybe they've got a few 'marquee' players lined up who weren't convinced by our credentials and ambition. Cue Frank's Cousin's "lets show the footballing world how damn ambitious we are" theory... Hey presto...said "superstar" players have their heads turned...

Of course we'll never know which of these slightly bonkers theories is closest to reality.

Presumably we can expect the same again at the end of next season when the Chairman and the owner have their annual talks. This turned out be a nothing story, just run of the mill performance appraisal. The only thing that seems to have happened of significant note is that we once again have an owner, it seems that the long drawn out probate system in Switzerland has come to an end and Katharina is now the owner. Others may have been bequeathed some shares but it is clear that she is the main person now. Hopefully we can stop all these references to the Liebherr family and the Trust now. There is a lot of misunderstanding about the involvement of what is referred to as the Liebherr family. Markus' direct family is the only part with any significant involvement as far as can be told.

This seems to have gotten lost in the press leaks fun and games, which have kind of overshadowed the main event of the week. We know who our owner is now. And how great it is to hear that she apparently buys into the future that was previously agreed and set out by the previous owner.

Aintforever seems on a mission to forbid anyone claiming it was anything but a wonderfully exercised PR routine, but I feel the exact opposite. This is tremendous news for SFC, and while Cortese has indeed played a blinder for the long-term stability of this club, the leaks and veiled threats have largely detracted from the main event of our clarified ownership status.

In a weird kind of way. We are actually agreeing then. Just one page ago you said I was wrong in saying Cortese has played the PR card well here... now you see that he has used the media to great effect to get what he wanted and stir unprecedented unity in the fanbase.

Are you feeling ok?

I thought the same. I think it's an attempt at saving face.

Are you feeling ok?

There's a difference between Cortese playing his cards right, and playing the PR card well.

Cortese has done well for himself and for SFC; good news all round, the end goal has been achieved. To say it was handled brilliantly by issuing various leaks to the press and causing instability amongst the fanbase is a different thing entirely. There's many ways to skin a cat and all that; and while the goal must be commended as great news, you don't necessarily have to stand back and marvel at the manner in which it was done, and to wonder if the standard "behind closed doors" approach would have been as prefereable in this case as it seems to have been previously when the club enters into negotiations.

I thought the same. I think it's an attempt at saving face.

No, it isn't. What Nicola did was not great PR, it was tactical briefing of the media for his own (and the clubs) ends. Several days of fan uncertainty is not great PR. It's sh it PR to acheive another end result.

Are you feeling ok?

Really don't agree about the unity in the fanbase thing. I don't remember any disunity anyway - fans already chant his name every match. He's used the press very well but he hasn't played the PR card well.

Unless you want all future player contract negotiations played out in public ( "I will go as the club don't match my ambitions" etc etc) then if I were you I wouldn't wish for much more "great PR" like this.

There's a difference between Cortese playing his cards right, and playing the PR card well.

Cortese has done well for himself and for SFC; good news all round, the end goal has been achieved. To say it was handled brilliantly by issuing various leaks to the press and causing instability amongst the fanbase is a different thing entirely. There's many ways to skin a cat and all that; and while the goal must be commended as great news, you don't necessarily have to stand back and marvel at the manner in which it was done, and to wonder if the standard "behind closed doors" approach would have been as prefereable in this case as it seems to have been previously when the club enters into negotiations.

Nonetheless. He rightly gets criticised when the PR side of things isn't well handled, even if it's not the primary focus of an event. Here, everything has lined up beautifully.

Be it by accident or design... kudos to the chief. He has played a blinder here.

Nonetheless. He rightly gets criticised when the PR side of things isn't well handled, even if it's not the primary focus of an event. Here, everything has lined up beautifully.

Be it by accident or design... kudos to the chief. He has played a blinder here.

Indeed. In this case he has achieved stability for the club; great news all round.

As I said in my reply above to Vectis though; I actually think it has been a great event overshadowed by poor PR. We (and the footballing public) should be talking about our new owner, what a great moment of stability it is for us. Instead we came to realise how fragile the club setup is; if the CEO goes, the manager goes, and the player of the season says that many players will likely leave. The new owner has become overshadowed by the story of the CEO.

Yes, the end news is great. You'll have to forgive me though, for I see the build up to it as pretty poor PR if I'm honest. The club rightly gets lauded on occasions for doing it business behind closed doors in regard to negotiations, and this incident makes me hope we revert back to that approach.

In my experience, corporate life is much more about cock-up than conspiracy.

It's a fair point Kraken. However, The negativity generated by the initial announcement via the press would surely have been anticipated and therefore intended. As such it helped to underpin the good news when it came. As such it has to be appreciated as an excellent bit of PR and manipulation.

I too hope we go back to our way of handling things internally as it is the most professional way to operate. When things are leaked though it only serves to emphasise them.

Yes. The situation at the club is political and could be fragile. For now though, our ownership is clarified, future course clarified and almost everyone utterly satisfied and happy about it.

Outstanding.

This seems to have gotten lost in the press leaks fun and games, which have kind of overshadowed the main event of the week. We know who our owner is now. And how great it is to hear that she apparently buys into the future that was previously agreed and set out by the previous owner.

Aintforever seems on a mission to forbid anyone claiming it was anything but a wonderfully exercised PR routine, but I feel the exact opposite. This is tremendous news for SFC, and while Cortese has indeed played a blinder for the long-term stability of this club, the leaks and veiled threats have largely detracted from the main event of our clarified ownership status.

Hear hear!

BBC still confused:

1446:

MOTD's Laurence Herdman at St Mary's StadiumSouthampton v Stoke (1600 BST)"A celebratory atmosphere is likely at St Mary's, but it will be tempered by uncertainty over the future of executive chairman Nicola Cortese. The Italian is out of contract in the summer and wants clarity from owners, the Liebherr Trust, on his vision to take the club to the next level.

"Curiously, Stoke will finish the season with their lowest-ever Premier League points tally although they could end it in their highest-ever position. A win will take the club to 44 points which compares with the 45, 46, 47, and 45 point totals earned in previous Premier League seasons - although you have to go back to 1980 for City's last win at Southampton."

How it being PR the exact opposite of it being great news, it is both.