Katharina Liebherr

manji

• 9 years later...

Liebherr’s Southamptonshareholding diluted

Katharina Liebherr no longer owns a 20 per cent shareholding in Southampton, reports Dan Sheldon.

She inherited the club from her father, Markus, after he died of a heart attack in August 2010 and maintained full ownership until selling an 80 per cent stake to Chinese businessman Gao Jisheng in 2017.

And when Sport Republic bought the club at the beginning of the year, it did not include Liebherr’s 20 per cent.

However, following the group’s investment over the summer, when it injected millions of pounds into the club, her shares have been diluted.

Though the exact stake has not been disclosed, it means Liebherr no longer owns 20 per cent of Southampton and her shareholding has decreased.

Due to the increased capital put into Southampton by Sport Republic, her shares — even though they no longer total 20 per cent — remain at the same value.

• Sad 1

However, following the group’s investment over the summer, when it injected millions of pounds into the club, her shares have been diluted.

This would suggest the money injected for the summer transfers was done via issuing ans purchasing more shares in the company rather than as a debt to the company. It’s a good move from the finances of the club. 

7 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

However, following the group’s investment over the summer, when it injected millions of pounds into the club, her shares have been diluted.

This would suggest the money injected for the summer transfers was done via issuing ans purchasing more shares in the company rather than as a debt to the company. It’s a good move from the finances of the club. 

I don't understand? Isn't the proceeds of issuing more shares a rights issue, wouldn't we have heard about that? I genuinely don't understand, I'm not not picking.

So how much % of the club does she now own? It’s decreased from 20% with this summer’s investment in the team but to what? Is there a minimum stake she will hold or does another window of investment buy her out fully? All a bit vague and leaving me with more questions!

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

So how much % of the club does she now own? It’s decreased from 20% with this summer’s investment in the team but to what? Is there a minimum stake she will hold or does another window of investment buy her out fully? All a bit vague and leaving me with more questions!

Depends how many new shares were issued. The last accounts state there are 501,000 £1 shares, so KL would have 20% of these but without knowing how many new shares were issued you can’t work out what her stack is.

• Like 1