Season Tickets 2013/14

Saint Garrett

Bayern Munich charge £104 for an adult season ticket in the standing section...

Their President said this:

"We could charge more than £104. Let's say we charged £300. We'd get £2m more in income but what's £2m to us?

In a transfer discussion you argue about that sum for five minutes. But the difference between £104 and £300 is huge for the fan.

We do not think the fans are like cows, who you milk. Football has got to be for everybody.

That's the biggest difference between us and England."

EDIT: Just seen someone else has already posted this. Nevermind!

It's the return flights twice a month from Southampton to Munich that's the killer.

However I do think something needs to be done about bringing the cost of football down in England, like what happened in Germany.

Did Germany bring it's prices down, or have they always been low? I guess there's a difference between keeping prices stable and actually slashing them, one is easier to do than the other.

You could save yourself £100 straight away and move to the wings, there's not a bad view in the place.

But club's need to tread careful with these prices because you can watch any Premier League game these days from the comfort of home or down the pub and save yourself a small fortune in these tougher times. OK you won't get that live/being there atmosphere but that's pretty sh*t at many grounds these days anyway and quite often better in the boozer!

I'll still go tho, it's what I do on a Saturday(ish) afternoon and have done for 40-something years, can't see it changing.

Without prying into your finances, will the tickets ever be too expensive for you?

£650+ for a season ticket is getting silly

Without prying into your finances, will the tickets ever be too expensive for you?

£650+ for a season ticket is getting silly

Certainly could be.

£609 renewal for me, if it had been closer to £700 it would have been questionable. I'm in my 50s so my mortgage isn't so much of an issue at this stage of life, kids are 'grown up' (but still cost me a small fortune!) and although I only earn an 'average salary' my outgoings don't exactly kill me these days.

Luckily the year on year increase has never been too severe but anything over £700 in the near future and even I would struggle to justify the cost of going to football, let alone those just taking on a mortgage or starting a family.

One other thing that could impact on any decision is if it got too expensive for those I go with and they didn't renew, I've never been to football on my own and have no desire to do so. It's always been a 'lads day out' for me.

Most on here would agree that saints could charge what they liked and we would still buy tickets.....the problem is most of us have been going to watch saints since we were little kids (my dad took me when i was 4 so 42 years in my case),followed saints all over the country and Europe and its not an easy thing to just give up.

There are obviously some exceptions,if you move away,if its a toss up between paying your mortgage,eating,buying the kids some clothes or buying a season tickets/tickets then surviving life is always going to come first or it should.

Even in the past when I couldn't afford a season ticket I've always managed to go to most games so one way or another SFC get a fair whack of money from me and so it goes on.

Some of you might not think you're getting value for money but how do you know that until the final whistle is blown?....I say you name me one other attraction in southampton that attracts 30,000+ people every fortnight?....so it seems whatever the cost it still remains extremely popular and you can't argue with that.

A bloke I sit near has been told via a letter from the club that his seat (for the last 10 years) in block 32 is unavailable next season due to premier league regulations so he has to be re-located. Has anyone else had a similar letter from the club?

Maybe he's done something he shouldn't have!! He finds out further info from sfc next Thursday apparently.

Did Germany bring it's prices down, or have they always been low? I guess there's a difference between keeping prices stable and actually slashing them, one is easier to do than the other.

I remember talking to a bloke from Borussia Dortmund when on holiday several years ago and his season ticket was not much over a hundred quid.

As you say, nevermind, certainly no harm in showing that again.

It should be sent to the FA and every Chairman in this country.

We could learn a thing or two from these German fellas.

Unfortunately, I think greed has set in and there's no way back, we've gone too far in this country.

The FA don't care about the fans, they show that by trying to charge fans £1500 to take a banner to Wembley in a play off final.

You get new owners that don't care about the fans, look at Cardiff.

That said, I'll still pay my £600 to Saints for next season.

Why are people resigned to an increase? I've not had a pay rise for 5 years, inflation is still quite low, there's a recession on but when it comes to football - which earns a fortune from telly rights - people seem to think it'll be acceptable if the increase is "only" 10% or less than £100.

If there's any increase at all I'll have to think seriously about renewing. There's very little benefit to a season ticket apart from convenience these days and the club should think very seriously about where it pitches prices this year.

Spot on, I have had a season ticket for over 20 yrs but am not sure anymore......the cost the messing about with dates etc not the same for me :-(

Affordability is a personal and subjective question. Football is fairly expensive in terms of £/minute, no doubt.

When you're looking at German prices though it strikes me that you need to think about the wider league pyramid. I know very little about German lower league football but I'm going to hazard a guess that their fourth tier is much less "professional" than the English fourth tier with lower overheads, cheaper players, probably regional etc...

Now, £2million in ticket revenue maybe inconsequential to Bayern Munich but it isn't to Bristol Rovers or Lincoln or York etc... They do need to squeeze whatever funds they can out of anyone willing to provide them or they will go bust. I just had a look at York City's ST prices. Last year a new adult ST ranged from £255 to £325 - that's in League 2.

So, when League 2 teams are charging £300 and paying some of their players £40k a year it hardly seems fair to expect Premier League teams paying some of their players much more than that each week not to charge a bit more.

I guess my tentative conclusion is that the large size of the English professional pyramid is bound to have an inflationary effect on tickets, especially when those at the bottom are largely in financial strife.

Just tried logging in, it's telling me my customer number from last season is not recognised, wtf.

Well, marvelous. It's point blank refusing to accept my customer number, even on the password recovery screen.

Edited by Saint_clark

Just tried logging in, it's telling me my customer number from last season is not recognised, wtf.

Well, marvelous. It's point blank refusing to accept my customer number, even on the password recovery screen.

try putting a '0' at the start of your customer number, worked for me.

So is this something the club/ticket office could do or offer a scheme which emcompasses something along these lines, I am sure Arsenal offer a scheme whereby if a ST holder cannot make a game they offer the available seat to members or buy back the seat from the ST holder.

There were several occasions last year (and the years before) when dates and times had been changed to when it was impossible for me to attend. I've not actually been bothered to calculate an average cost to me per match of missed matches but I believe it is significantly more than I would have paid had I not been a season ticket holder. It rankles and I do feel that the club are benefitting twice - on TV monies, and on prepaid games that customers are unable to attend though no fault of theirs. The club really is exploiting loyal fans on this issue.

Sometimes it is unavoidable that matches are postponed ie for weather conditions - but it is a fact that the club has calculated additional tV revenues mean changing dates and times (as we all know) are worth inconveniencing its customers (some might put this stronger and use the word 'robbing') however the club is unconcerned.

This could not happen with other forms of entertainment ie if theatre performances were postponed customers would automatically be offered refunds. So why not SFC?

There were several occasions last year (and the years before) when dates and times had been changed to when it was impossible for me to attend. I've not actually been bothered to calculate an average cost to me per match of missed matches but I believe it is significantly more than I would have paid had I not been a season ticket holder. It rankles and I do feel that the club are benefitting twice - on TV monies, and on prepaid games that customers are unable to attend though no fault of theirs. The club really is exploiting loyal fans on this issue.

Sometimes it is unavoidable that matches are postponed ie for weather conditions - but it is a fact that the club has calculated additional tV revenues mean changing dates and times (as we all know) are worth inconveniencing its customers (some might put this stronger and use the word 'robbing') however the club is unconcerned.

This could not happen with other forms of entertainment ie if theatre performances were postponed customers would automatically be offered refunds. So why not SFC?

Who on earth would describe that as "robbing"? Did the club tell you at the start of the year that no games would be moved?

Affordability is a personal and subjective question. Football is fairly expensive in terms of £/minute, no doubt.

When you're looking at German prices though it strikes me that you need to think about the wider league pyramid. I know very little about German lower league football but I'm going to hazard a guess that their fourth tier is much less "professional" than the English fourth tier with lower overheads, cheaper players, probably regional etc...

Now, £2million in ticket revenue maybe inconsequential to Bayern Munich but it isn't to Bristol Rovers or Lincoln or York etc... They do need to squeeze whatever funds they can out of anyone willing to provide them or they will go bust. I just had a look at York City's ST prices. Last year a new adult ST ranged from £255 to £325 - that's in League 2.

So, when League 2 teams are charging £300 and paying some of their players £40k a year it hardly seems fair to expect Premier League teams paying some of their players much more than that each week not to charge a bit more.

I guess my tentative conclusion is that the large size of the English professional pyramid is bound to have an inflationary effect on tickets, especially when those at the bottom are largely in financial strife.

League 2 prices don't really have any affect on Premier League prices. It's simply a case of supply and demand for a seat at games, same as any other business unfortunately.

Ok, got through to the ticket office via telephone. They will not let me renew.

I sit in the family stand, have done for the last 3 seasons with my Dad and friends. As we are both adults they will not let us renew.... it is now very strictly an area for adults with young children. They will only let me renew in other areas of the ground.

I understand the logic, but I am utterly furious right now.

Ok, got through to the ticket office via telephone. They will not let me renew.

I sit in the family stand, have done for the last 3 seasons with my Dad and friends. As we are both adults they will not let us renew.... it is now very strictly an area for adults with young children. They will only let me renew in other areas of the ground.

I understand the logic, but I am utterly furious right now.

You'll get a seat elsewhere don't worry. Just ask for a transfer to the chapel.

Because they want more kids in the family section and you'll get basically the same experience in the Chapel end?

No, my seat is perfect, directly on the corner with a great view of the entire pitch, great friendly atmosphere in that section it may lack the edge of some areas but it is ideal for me and a 60 something parent. Not to mention the price difference.

This will mean that Dad (who isn't quite yet 65) will have seen a £400 price increase in 3 years, on a pension he can barely justify the cost as it is! Also couple in the inconvenience of all of my friends trying to find an area where we can now all sit together.

I am livid.

Edited by Colinjb

No, my seat is perfect, directly on the corner with a great view of the entire pitch, great friendly atmosphere in that section it may lack the edge of some areas but it is ideal for me and a 60 something parent. Not to mention the price difference.

This will mean that Dad (who isn't quite yet 65) will have seen a £400 price increase in 3 years, on a pension he can barely justify the cost as it is! Also couple in the inconvenience of all of my friends trying to find an area where we can now all sit together.

I am livid.

Can you not just move to the other corner of the Chapel? Tons of availability there, will be the same as where you are now and no price increase for your old man? I think it's right that the family section is just for adults with kids, but they really should have you let you know with plenty of notice so you could make plans, rather than just not letting you renew your seat today which is poor.

Can you not just move to the other corner of the Chapel? Tons of availability there, will be the same as where you are now and no price increase for your old man? I think it's right that the family section is just for adults with kids, but they really should have you let you know with plenty of notice so you could make plans, rather than just not letting you renew your seat today which is poor.

It's the principle of getting the news now... that's left the crap aftertaste. It is now not a simple job, I need to liaise with 7 people to try and get us into one area, assuming they will all be happy at the prospect of moving to a certain area. As for the price difference, it will be up to a minimum of £604 from £520.

As a point of principle I'm almost tempted to say **** it. I'm meant to be moving back down south and the saved fuel/ticket money will help a great deal towards that!

It's the principle of getting the news now... that's left the crap aftertaste. It is now not a simple job, I need to liaise with 7 people to try and get us into one area, assuming they will all be happy at the prospect of moving to a certain area. As for the price difference, it will be up to a minimum of £604 from £520.

As a point of principle I'm almost tempted to say **** it. I'm meant to be moving back down south and the saved fuel/ticket money will help a great deal towards that!

That's a pi.ss poor effort by the TO regarding timing but I do agree with their stance regarding the demographic of that area.

As I said I completely agree with you regarding the principle of when you were informed - should have been before the end of the season so you can check other bits of the ground, talk to people around you etc. £604 is what you should be paying as an adult season ticket holder though.

As I said I completely agree with you regarding the principle of when you were informed - should have been before the end of the season so you can check other bits of the ground, talk to people around you etc. £604 is what you should be paying as an adult season ticket holder though.

Just shows the power of timing. I can understand the principle, I can accept the cost..... what I can't accept is the way this has been handled.

I am in block 20 along with 9 others we have had our seats in block 20 since SMS opened I will try on-line tonight and see what happens we all moved from The Dell together and we all had our STs at The Dell for about 20 years.

dont know what all the fuss is about!!got straight on the website found the finance link found the season ticket link found SFC when through 4 east steps finance approved season ticket renewed .........sorted............sit back and enjoy the summer and all our great signings.

try putting a '0' at the start of your customer number, worked for me.

Just renewed after the same shenanagins. Wouldn't recognise my customer number but as "harefieldsaint" says if you add a zero when retrieving your password it will send you a new password. However if you use the modified customer number (with the extra zero prefix) and login with the newly supplied password it won't find your existing account. So you logout and then login with your original customer number (sans the extra zero) and the newly supplied password it will find your account.

What a f**kin' pallava.:rolleyes: