Victor Wanyama - Officially Signed

patred44

Agreed!

Are you sure you don't just mean a black man? Schneiderlin and Cork are just as strong as Diame, Mikel or Mulumbu.

Morgan and Cork and lightweight in the sense of they are wiry and sinewy - built to cover a lot of ground - which our pressing game needs. Ive actually got the opposite concern - that Wanyama wont be able to do the amount of running expected carrying that muscle bulk.

Are you sure you don't just mean a black man? Schneiderlin and Cork are just as strong as Diame, Mikel or Mulumbu.

I don't suppose it's a coincidence that black footballers have different muscular structure than others, but apart from that all but mulumbu are at least an inch taller than cork and therefore at least couple of inches taller than Schneiderlin.

Cork might hold the ball up well but he does it like a ballet dancer, not a unit.

Long as he does it, I don't mind how he looks. What's a 'unit' got that Cork doesn't if both can shrug off defenders as well as he can?

I doubt we would have signed Wanyama if we weren't sure he'd be able to do whatever job it is we've got in mind. He looks very fit to me.

Agreed!

Not sure either are close to being as strong as Wanyama, he looks about as wide as both of them put together! I also don't think either can bully people off the ball like he can, their approach to defensive play is more about persistence, work rate and speed. Wanyama looks more liekly to be able to just run through people, he;s also a powerful runner with the ball and difficult to knock of his stride. Hence the comparisons to Viera/Toure.

His main weaknesses from what I've heard about him is that his technical skills are still a bit raw, both Cork and Morgan probably have the edge over him in possession play, first touch etc.

I don't suppose it's a coincidence that black footballers have different muscular structure than others, but apart from that all but mulumbu are at least an inch taller than cork and therefore at least couple of inches taller than Schneiderlin.

Cork might hold the ball up well but he does it like a ballet dancer, not a unit.

Is Mikel a few inches taller than Schneiderlin? Don't see him having a more physical presence than MS at all.

I don't suppose it's a coincidence that black footballers have different muscular structure than others, ...

I don't suppose it's actually true either. But what is true is that he will have bigger lungs, from having lived and trained most of his life at least 4,000' above sea level.

We need a different option anyway. There's no use just having all players who are lightweight and just like knocking it about. We play a lot of different types of teams in this division, and Wanyama will be an great asset even if his passing isn't as good as Cork and Morgan.

Whilst "lightweight" is a bit over the top I think this is why we signed him.

If we are playing a team at home and likely to have 60%+ of the possession then there's a good chance Wanyama will be on the bench IMO, especially if we are still looking at adding Banega as well (and assuming Morgan is staying put).

Where we will probably hope to really see his value is when we think MP's agressive defending style is going to be the key factor in a match or in tough away matches. He will also be a useful front shield for knock-downs against teams that like to whack it up to a target man. It's about having a good mixture of attributes and the ability to "change things". One thing our squad really missed last season was the ability to throw on a player who would make a difference and give the opposition a new problem.

If he's "worth" £12.5 million remains to be seen but you can see why we wanted a player of his ilk given our approach to defending and pressing.

If we are playing a team at home and likely to have 60%+ of the possession then there's a good chance Wanyama will be on the bench IMO, .
Possibly, but I actually think he'll come into his own a bit at times like that, being able to pick up the ball from deep and drive at opposition defences, get them facing their own goal, opening up space for runners off the ball. Will be interesting to see how we work it though.

Wanyama is one of the strongest players I've seen. Sheils is talking nonsense as per usual. As much as he isn't a master on the ball he doesn't panic. He isn't really the Diame/Toure type that runs at the opposing time, much more defensively minded. I'd be surprised if he doesn't start most games as even when you have most of th ball he is excellent at stopping counter attacks.

Might just be my age catching up on me, but I always find this such a strange turn of phrase to use about a player.

Its even funnier when you consider this comment made about players coming to Saints with our history of little angels such as John McGrath and Razor Ruddock (other varieties of beast are also available). VDub would run a mile if either of them came up to tackle him.

Wanyama is one of the strongest players I've seen. Sheils is talking nonsense as per usual. As much as he isn't a master on the ball he doesn't panic. He isn't really the Diame/Toure type that runs at the opposing time, much more defensively minded. I'd be surprised if he doesn't start most games as even when you have most of th ball he is excellent at stopping counter attacks.

This what we need and where we were undone a few times last season. If we're pressing high up the pitch then we'll need a player sitting a but deeper capable of stopping a quick counter attack.

This what we need and where we were undone a few times last season. If we're pressing high up the pitch then we'll need a player sitting a but deeper capable of stopping a quick counter attack.

There's this player on our team called Jack Cork I'd like to introduce you to. :facepalm:

Wanyama was clearly bought to add a spark of creativity if anything.

There's this player on our team called Jack Cork I'd like to introduce you to. :facepalm:

Wanyama was clearly bought to add a spark of creativity if anything.

Your quantity of 'face palming' is outrageous. Cease and desist.

Possibly, but I actually think he'll come into his own a bit at times like that, being able to pick up the ball from deep and drive at opposition defences, get them facing their own goal, opening up space for runners off the ball. Will be interesting to see how we work it though.

That's Banega and Ramirez's job ;)

Wanyama and Lovren are both listed on the Saints website (and numerous other websites) as being 6 foot 2. This picture suggests otherwise...

6yhe9uqu.jpg

That's perplexing. I've always thought morgan looked at least 6ft but Wanyama looks visibly shorter.

Wanyama is 6 foot 2, Lovern is 6 foot 4.

IIRC in the pre-season video of lovren he measured in at 190 which is just under 6ft3in.

Wanyama and Lovren are both listed on the Saints website (and numerous other websites) as being 6 foot 2. This picture suggests otherwise...

6yhe9uqu.jpg

Well here's a job for you MLG. On one of those pre season Youtube videos I seem to remember them actually measuring Lovren. Think he was 193cm. You toddle off and check that then convert it into feet and inches and you can satisfy your own curiosity.

That's perplexing. I've always thought morgan looked at least 6ft but Wanyama looks visibly shorter.

IIRC in the pre-season video of lovren he measured in at 190 which is just under 6ft3in.

The video was wrong, trust me, he's 6ft 4.

Well here's a job for you MLG. On one of those pre season Youtube videos I seem to remember them actually measuring Lovren. Think he was 193cm. You toddle off and check that then convert it into feet and inches and you can satisfy your own curiosity.

Even more concerning is the lack of smiling faces. Maybe Fontes article on the OS was propaganda and none of the players are happy. No smiles here, apart from Shaw who's now on £25k a week so he's got something to smile about and no smiles on the first dsy back at training. Lots of sadness and unrest in the camp by the looks of it.

I've also just noticed there are feasible squad numbers on their shorts - Lovren 16 (was a CB number last year), Jack Stephens 24 (hmm, that was Mayuka's number but I did suggest Pochettino wouldn't be as anally retentive as Adkins on the numbers...).

Also just seen the big splash pic on the OS, whilst

Fonte 6, Davis 8, Rodriguez 9, Fox 13... are not unexpected, it seems Turnbull (assuming that's him with the beard) has 5 and Ward-Prowse 10, so... maybe just filling up the shirt numbers at the moment.

I've also just noticed there are feasible squad numbers on their shorts - Lovren 16 (was a CB number last year), Jack Stephens 24 (hmm, that was Mayuka's number but I did suggest Pochettino wouldn't be as anally retentive as MLG on the numbers...).

Corrected.

It'll be a case of our players being numbered 1-25 (or however many players we took on tour with us) on a random basis. Do you think Rickie is going to wear #3 this season?

Did he in the friendly ? Haven't seen a pic/vid of that. It's too much coincidence that a large number of players are wearing their previous numbers though.

Did he in the friendly ? Haven't seen a pic/vid of that. It's too much coincidence that a large number of players are wearing their previous numbers though.

Rickie wore a different number all preseason last year until the first game.

There's been a lot of belly-aching from Cardiff's owner Tan about how they had a deal agreed for Wanyama and then Celtic took the increased offer from Southampton. I had the impression that we had already agreed that sum, but that Cardiff had only appeared later on the scene when the hiccup surfaced about the agent's fee.

In any event, who cares if Tan is a bit miffed? That's life, mate, get on and deal with it. We've several irons in the fire where there will be bidding wars to secure a player's signature. I can't see Cortese whinging like him if we're outbid by somebody else.

• 1 month later...